Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dl757md
Topic Author

Delta Starting To Not Pay Their Bills

Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:32 pm

LSG Sky Chefs has refused to provide food service to Delta airplanes in 10 stations throughout the Delta system due to Delta being behind in their payments to LSG. Yesterday some resourceful DL flight attendants were making sandwiches for pax in the flight attendant lounge at SLC. Next thing you know DL mechs will be begging the fast food restaurants on the concourse for their used deep fryer oil to substitute for Jet A.  Big grin
757 Most beautiful airliner in the sky!

zvezda

RE: Delta Starting To Not Pay Their Bills

Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:48 pm

Perhaps US will not be the next to fall.

L10fav

Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:57 pm

There is no evidence that LSG is refusing to cater DL flights because "Delta is not paying their bills." There is always the possibility that LSG is trying to avoid being a creditor in a BK filing, or from having to continue honoring Delta's contracts if they do file for BK.

B747-437B

Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:00 pm

Yesterday some resourceful DL flight attendants were making sandwiches for pax in the flight attendant lounge at SLC.

They should get fired for this if it is true. The only food served to passengers needs to be from properly certified and approved caterers that carry sufficient insurance, otherwise they are opening the airline up to huge liabilities that they simply cannot afford right now.

L-188

Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:05 pm

The only food served to passengers needs to be from properly certified and approved caterers that carry sufficient insurance,

DIdn't Southwest one time, make a Pizza Hut run for a flight that catering wasn't available?
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

radelow

Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:41 pm

I seriously doubt that FA's were making sandwiches for passengers. The liability of that is HUGE. Like B747-437B said, the commercial distribution of food has many laws governing it.

Regarding the Pizza Hut I believe that was true, but weren't they just some stranded passengers?

Mark

B747-437B

Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:43 pm

Idn't Southwest one time, make a Pizza Hut run for a flight that catering wasn't available?

And don't you think that Pizza Hut carries sufficient liability insurance in the event that their food is contaminated or causes a reaction?  Smile

OPNLguy

Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:05 am

>>>DIdn't Southwest one time, make a Pizza Hut run for a flight that catering wasn't available?

I've been here 20+ years and never heard that one. If it did happen (and it certainly could have, since I'm not on duty 24x7x365) it wouldn't have been on a regular flight, since -none- of them are "catered" with meal services to begin with. That said, some charters get boxed meals from local caterers. Presuming that one of them no-showed for a charter flight somewhere, it's easy to envision the crew getting creative and grabbing some pizzas or whatever else was available from a local restaurant so as to "solve" the problem.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Jumpseat70

Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:52 am

You know this is the kind of stuff that drives me crazy about the people who are just dying to see their threads on the big screen.

Delta is NOT, not paying their bills. For all of you that are waiting like vultures to see an airline die...you have got a while to wait. Go find another subject so you can see your measly little name in lights.

"FLY WIDGET FLY"
"Up, Up and away with TWA"

Jumpseat70

Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:55 am

And regarding meals for passengers if loads change dramatically and the caterer can't get food to us ontime, we will buy food from a local restautrant in the airport.

This story is BOGUS!

bucky707

Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:36 am

Delta is still paying its bills. The problem with LSG is that they want to change the way they bill Delta. LSG wants to have Delta pay for services in advance, instead of the way it has always been done, where they provide the service then send Delta the bill. Delta balked at the change, so LSG stopped providing service.

deltabobo

Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:51 am

Being in ATL last Wednesday, the only LSG Skychefs truck was at Concourse D, servicing DH, the rest (basically all of Delta was served by GateGourmet
Dispatchers...saving pilots from themselves and their egos since 1938!

JAFA

Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:51 am

Occasionally gate agents and FA will buy food in the terminal at company expense to cover meal shortages.

ETStar

Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:02 am

Whoa Jumpseat70 Whoa... a chill pill is easy to find...

Who would want to be out of $$$ when there is the possibility of not being paid for rendered services? No one. Good for LSG.

syncmaster

Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:37 am

First of all, like others have said, I seriously doubt that FA's where making food for the flights, the shear number of regulations over the food industry is astronomical, places such as LSG are meticulously picked over for any flaw that could possibly be found. Airlines or any business for that matter can't just go to a grocery store and buy things to make a sandwich with in the company lounge a highly unsanitary (compared to where a company like LSG would make food, I'm not saying they are dirty or grungy or anything like that so please don't take that the wrong way).

Second of all, until you hear it out of DL's mouth don't assume something like this, I swear that some of you are more interested in watching the company die like a mouse on d-con and will do anything to see it happen. DL is not going anywhere fast so don't plan on it. I don't know why but as soon as a company talks or files for bankruptcy people assume they are going out of business and can't do anything about it.

deltaflyertoo

Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:08 am

Regarding F/As making food for pax, in addition to regulation concerns...the logistics don't add up.. Where did they get the materials...like they really went to the grocery store first to buy enough lunch meat, bread and such for 100+ pax....god that statement is more legless the more you think about it. And they prepared it where? In the terminal, the galley, instead of the doing the numerous safety and comfort checks first?

DeltaAgent1

Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:48 am

Where in SLC was this supposed to have happened?
I know that a retired mechanic in SLC passed away several days ago, and
the family had received so much food after the memorial service yesterday that they brought some in & shared it with all SLC DL personnel.
But I can assure you none of it made it on any aircraft for distribution to
passengers. Whereever your source came about, I think its total gossip
or made up to make your post look enticing!

1MillionFlyer

Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:02 am

Another shameless post to ignite ire. PLEASE Dl757md . unless you are the CFO of LSG or the CFO of Delta do not make posts about something you have NO first hand and full situational knowledge about.

I LOVES MY DELTA
Golf Foxtrot you are cleared for departure

LEARJET23

Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:03 am

Well Kiss My Grits! Delta was the first airline I ever flew on! And boys, that was a looong time ago! I have always said the damn fares are ether too cheap, or to expensive! Delta needs to find a safe middle ground to keeps its planes full and make a pretty dollar at the same time! I used to fly Business class four times a year from Portland to Narita on Delta, The fare was lower than NWA full economy! And that was a long flight on an MD-11, As the food these days is mostly Peanuts on SWA, or a funky cold sandwitch on a cross country, How can delta run up a big tab with it's deli? I'm getting to old to try to figure why these old line airlines have such a killer overhead. Some mention pensions... All I know is if delta folds it will be a real shame!

1MillionFlyer

Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:09 am

it's called 400 employees per airplane and people with entitlement attitudes.

I flew SONG LGA-MCO tonight and it was in the top 5 of the last 2 years.

I don't mind paying five bucks for a drink when they put the martini in a martini glass and I can watch the moving map and weather channel on the DISH at the same time. MAybe the whole airlione should just become Song

I hope they figure it out very very soon.

NWA had 998 biz class MSP to HKG last winter, they have fallen into the trap too  Smile

[Edited 2004-09-18 03:10:55]

[Edited 2004-09-18 03:12:01]

aeronuts

Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:31 am

Start a rumor or a post, and after awhile it'll be news. Get real.

ual777contrail

Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:38 am

jumpseat70,
Now you are getting a small taste of what EVERY UAL employee on this forum goes through when little arm chair CEO's and doomsdayers think they want to air their opinions and yes, see their name in lights.

They should have a forum for those who actually work for airlines.

UAL 777 CONTRAIL

milesrich

Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:16 pm

Claiming Delta's problems are the fault of the employees is such trash. Management raped the company, and made a deal with the pilots that made no economic sense. But you can't blame the pilots either. They made big concessions in 1995 when the airline claimed it was losing money. As soon as the ink was dry, the profits started rolling in, and when the pilots wanted to open up the contract, management said, "a Contract is a Contract." So the pilots said the same thing after 9/11. The pilots, compared to the rest of the industry, are overpaid, but in real dollars haven't had an increase since deregulation. I guess everyone thinks that people should work for an airline because its fun, never mind about making a decent living. Pilots have traditionally made high wages. But all of these people who complain about how much they make never say a thing about the fact that CEO's who used to make 20 times what a manual laborer for the same company made now make 500 times as much.

Delta and the rest of the industry are in the toilet because of bad management. And please don't tell me about how much money AirTran or Southwest are making. Southwest has made decent profits, but AirTran, while profitable, has never made much money. One bad year and poof, they could be gone. The industry has deep seated economic problems. They seem to be unable to market their product and sell it for a reasonable cost and still make money. Right now, the problem is that fares are too cheap. If a roundtrip fare is over $200.00, for a domestic trip, the consumer has been educated that they shouldn't buy. It's ridiculous. In the meantime, the air transport system in this country is near collapse. Sure, there will always be service on some major routes, but the thing about air transport used to be that you could fly about anywhere. This eventually led to the decline of rail passenger service and bus service. With the loss of so much airline service, to so many cities, the level of service has steadily declined. Eventually, the industry will again probably have to be regulated. But that is different debate altogether.

Spark

Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:51 pm

Milesrich,
I think you analysis of the air industry is good, but I have to disagree with your conclusion.
What you basically said, is that the industry is near collapse because airlines can't make a profit, and someday we would have to go back to regulation. The problem is this is the exact opposite direction that the country, and economy has been taking for the last 30 years. For the most part, it has been successful in every industry, including air travel.

I don't bellieve the air industry will ever collapse, because it is still the most efficient way to move people long distances (more than 300 miles, or about 7hrs of driving). Any distances closer than that, and cars are more efficient.

Anyway, I believe that the industry has been in flux for 20 years, and we are getting close to the breaking point. In the old days it was easy to get flights from anywhere to anywhere, which meant non-profitable flights needed to be subsidized with high yield destinations. Now LCCs are primarily focusing on high yield routes, and places like Great Falls, Mt. don't get served.

I believe you will see the market react to the demand, which means that high yield routes will keep a lot of competition, but small markets will likely have higher costs, and lower competition. Also the number of airlines will eventually hit equilibrium, and the competition will stabilize. Of course, by the time that eventually happens we may be visited by some aliens with far superior technology, and no longer need airlines to get across the country.

AirframeAS

Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:58 pm

LSG Sky Chefs has refused to provide food service to Delta airplanes in 10 stations throughout the Delta system due to Delta being behind in their payments to LSG. Yesterday some resourceful DL flight attendants were making sandwiches for pax in the flight attendant lounge at SLC. Next thing you know DL mechs will be begging the fast food restaurants on the concourse for their used deep fryer oil to substitute for Jet A.

Where do you people come up with utter BS? Where's the source and how do you know that DL hasnt been paying LSG?

Also, I bet you money that none of the DL flight attendants or any flight attendant has a food handlers permit anyway.

C'mon people....put sources up. I wont believe it unless I see a vaild source.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

Lono

Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:47 pm

This was in the Atlanta Journal of Commerce 9/17...

• Delta says it settled a dispute with LSG Sky Chef after the caterer abruptly stopped providing in-flight meals on Thursday, affecting roughly 200 flights, mostly from the Salt Lake City hub.

The article said this was caused by a contract dispute and offered no details
Wally Bird Ruled the Skys!

1MillionFlyer

Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:58 pm

a dispute is a lot different than "Not paying their bill"

As for managment vs employees, everyone in a company is responsilbe for it's success when people point fingers then failure is right around the corner. Yes, Leo Mullins was a smarmy idiot but the real problem was they grew too fast and tried to be all things to all people (Delta Express, RJ's everywhere, cheap Int'l).

everyone was greedy, management and pilots that is. (FA's mechanics, etc were never in that boat, they are underpaid period.).

I just hope they fix the problems by communicating and working together.

let's hope they make it.

Jumpseat70

Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:32 am

Dear Ual777Contrail,

I quite agree.

I have noticed what is said about every airline. Airline employees are usually quiet here until they are being attacked. The attackers are "generally" the armchair, flyboy wannabees. I admit that I am protective of my airline. But I will also defend yours if I know it is a blatant lie.

I love it when a 16 year old with a name that insinuates that he/she is a captain for a major comes on with an unsubstantiated statement. That really gets the blood to boiling.

You hang in there United. We will too.

Best Of Luck.

SegmentKing

Sun Sep 19, 2004 3:14 am

I think we need to start distributing free copies of Aerobiz Supersonic for the arm chair CEOs  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

-n
~ ~ ~ ~ pRoFeSsIoNaL hUrRiCaNe DoDgEr ~ ~ ~ ~

L10fav

Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:26 am

Hate to bring this thread back up, but it should be reported that LSG has resumed all normal operations to Delta.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos