Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

frugalqxnwa
Topic Author

XJ Avros, What Should I Expect?

Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:03 pm

I will be flying on one of XJ's Avro for the first time on Nov. 20th on the OMA-MSP route, what should I expect? Is it much like a mini-DC-9 with a high wing and four engines or something else?

planeloco

RE: XJ Avros, What Should I Expect?

Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:18 pm

The Avro is a really comfortable flight, definitely better than the CRJ or EMB series. The seats are 2x3, and my (only) flight on Avro RJ in 2002 from DTW to HPN had plenty of legroom in coach.

It is definitely quiet in flight and on take off. And on a humorous note, when the engines spool up at start, it sort of reminds me of my vacuum cleaner.

The only thing I found odd was that while we taxied before take off and right after landing, was a loud thumping noise that I believe was attribuable to hydraulic pumps. It could have been related to brakes or landing gear as I was sitting above it.

If I recall correctly, the droop of the overhead wing with flaps extended, somewhat obstructs the view of the field during taxi as well, but nothing annoying.

I wish they operated the RJ out of FLL, my home airport. I would definitely fly it again if the opportunity presented itself.

NWAskyteam

Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:37 pm

It is not like a mini DC9---it actually is more spacious in the cabin that a DC9 in terms of seat pitch. It is only smaller than a DC9 in terms of capacity. Row 15 has the greatest amount of legroom and this row usually isn't assigned ahead of time. The crew will grumble when you sit there because they like to have the back,row to themselves. Pick 15F, a window seat (with a window), but you are not jammed against the wall as row 15 only has 2 and 2 seating as the fuselage tapers at that point. The overhead bins are smaller than most jets so board early to be able to stow your articles. The bins at row 15 taper as well and basically only will fit a briefcase or small duffel. Row 5 also has generous seat room, but it is harder to stow bags in this row. The one drawback if you happen to be in F/C is that I find the F/C seats to be very uncomfortable. I am 6' and cannot find a comfortable position in them. Other than that, enjoy the ride!

frugalqxnwa
Topic Author

Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:48 pm

Thanks!

The first class problem is solved by my acute case of PCS (Poor College Student), but I am glad to hear it is a good ride. I actually chose the flight because I have seen the Bae 146s since childhood at IAD (in Presidential colors), and always wanted to fly on one.

BR715-A1-30

Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:22 am

I flew on N519XJ on 7/18 and I loved every minute of it. The plane is a rocket all throughout the flight and she handles like a fighter. I would love to fly on many more... You can expect...

1. Friendly Crews
2. Quiet Flight
3. Good Service
4. Hot Flight Attendants
5. 34" of Seat Pitch in Coach
6. Avrofever when you get off....You'll wanna get right back on  Smile
Puhdiddle

Jano

Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:40 am

Seat on XJ ARJ is wider than on NW A333.

Seat pitch on ARJ is 33'', that's like on A333 in premium economy seating.

XJ ARJ are the best RJ out there!

When they extend/detract flaps, ARJ give forth this funny noise, the call it "Dinosaur roar" Big grin
The Widget Air Line :)

burnsie28

Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:12 am

Unfortunately, every flight I got on the RJ I have always had the d**n engine right there to stare at with little view, I don't care for the plane myself, not to mention that its so freakin slow.

dtwclipper

Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:18 am

I fly them most often between DTW & CVG and every now and then the last NW flight between ORD and DTW is an ARJ.

Love the plane, good service and agree with BR715-A1-30 on his assessment.
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

aviatortj

Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:23 am

I flew 526 earlier this year in F from MSP-FAR. It was a wonderful ride overall. There was lots of room to sit and relax. Other than the windows appearing marred and scratched up, I was disappointed because I did not get to hear the "Dinosaur Roar" that I have heard about. Otherwise in-flight, the XJ FAs were very nice and attentive.
I will be taking three more XJ legs, two more in the ARJ, in the next month. I hope I get one with the refurbed interior and silver bullet outside  Wink/being sarcastic. Hopefully those great rides will be around well beyond 2006. Here's to hoping.

-TJ

BAViscount

Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:48 am

I've never flown XJ, but have flown the BAe146 numerous times with FlyBE between LGW and GCI, and once with Blue1 between CPH and HEL. I have to say that after the 744, the 146 is my favourite way to fly! The cabin is a lot more spacious than it appears from the outside, even with FlyBE's 3x3 config. As I've now said in numerous posts here, I love the way they seem to leap skyward off the runway too. The only problem I've experienced with them was trying to stuff my carry-on into the overhead bin that's right under the wing - I was about to give up and put it under the seat when someone pointed out the obvious and suggested I used one of the larger bins on either side. Well it was my first time on that aircraft type and I had just assumed that all the bins were that small...d'oh!

Enjoy!
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barbados

Starlionblue

Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:49 am

Not to mention that you get to moon the other planes  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Fabrice Sanchez - Brussels Aviation Photography
View Large View Medium

Photo © Fabrice Sanchez - Brussels Aviation Photography

View Large View Medium

Photo © Luis Rosa
View Large View Medium

Photo © Frederic Backaert

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

frugalqxnwa
Topic Author

Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:58 am

I had forgotten about those pesky airbrakes...

dc8jet

Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:33 am

We just flew DTW-PWM and return. We had seats 14A and 14B. Very nice overall.

PacificWestern

Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:31 pm

Unfortunately, every flight I got on the RJ I have always had the d**n engine right there to stare at with little view, I don't care for the plane myself, not to mention that its so freakin slow.

It's cruising speed is less than other jets, that's true. But, since the Avros normally fly relativly short haul, the arrival time difference is really not that much later.

As I've mentioned before on this site, I love flying in the ARJs and am sorry that BAe stopped production on them.

azjubilee

Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:27 am

Frugal... everyone has pretty much summed it up exactly right. You'll have a very enviable coach seating experience and our FAs are usually a cut above the rest of them. I enjoy the mighty avro... but then again, I'm a little biased! =)

Burnsie28 - they're not THAT much slower than the rest. We're all restricted to 250 KIAS below 10,000 so that doesn't matter. Above 10 we can fly 300 KIAS and then .73 when we transition. IN the grand scheme of things, a few minutes may be saved by flying on a CRJ or something. But in the end, it's really quite negligable.

I flew 516 yesterday with the refurbished interiors... they look exactly the same as the ones that haven't been refurbished. They're just cleaner, more "blue" looking and it's pretty hard to tel the difference. I didn't sit in the cabin, so that might be where the differences are. I can tell you for sure though, they didn't recondition the flightdeck seats!!

Enjoy the ride...

AZJ

Jano

Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:41 am

Speed of ARJ:

TYS-DTW:
NW5854 operated by CRJ: 1hour 40mins
NW3541 operated by ARJ: 1hour 39mins

MEM-ORD
NW1657 opearated by DC9-50: 1hour 54 mins
NW3447 operated by ARJ: 1 hour 54 mins
The Widget Air Line :)

isitsafenow

Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:48 am

If you want a window seat to look out, I recommend F or rows 10 or higher for the best view. Some rows, you look right at number two or three. If you like looking into the side of the engine, its a great seat! LOL
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

aviatortj

Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:27 am

I have talked to other people, and been on planes, that have the marred windows that were all scratched up and were like looking out a piece of saran wrap. Has anybody else on here run into that? Also, would that be from the panes in the interior or on the exterior of the plane?

Even still, the ARJ is worth it =).

-TJ

burnsie28

Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:36 am

Isitsafenow-
If I had the choice as to where I sat, then i would probably take that.

TJ-
Yes both ARJ flights ive had both had scratched up windows. Even back in 1997.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos