Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AlitaliaMD11
Topic Author

Engine Covers

Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:52 am

Hello

i was wondering if planes could fly with engine covers?

I saw a photo some time ago on A.net that showed a Pan Am Dc-10 taking off from an airport with all three engines covered? Is this possible?

Thanks

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Don Boyd

this is kind of what the photo looked like except it had red engine covers on the engines.
No Vueling No Party

ConcordeBoy

RE: Engine Covers

Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:58 am

condensation, not coverings, had you bothered looking at the actual picture, you'd have noticed that  Nuts

[Edited 2004-09-30 21:59:38]
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

laxx5

Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:02 am

If engines were covered, then no air, no combustion, no thrust, no flight.

Clipper002

Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:07 am

That was not codensation. This is a superimposed picture showing the a/c with standard inlet covers. Any time an plane sits for a protracted period of time, the engine inlets are covered to keep any unwanted objects from getting inside. And the answer to your question just see Laxx5 response.

Ed
Ed

Starlionblue

Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:10 am

That was not codensation.

Yes it was. You can even see the spinner on #1 and faintly on #3.

Any time an plane sits for a protracted period of time, the engine inlets are covered to keep any unwanted objects from getting inside.

And also to keep the engines from windmilling, which is not good if there is no adequate lubrication.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

AlitaliaMD11
Topic Author

Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:10 am

Hey

i said that wasnt the exact photo i saw, the photo i saw had red engine covers.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
No Vueling No Party

spacecadet

Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:36 am

i said that wasnt the exact photo i saw, the photo i saw had red engine covers.

Regardless, the answer to your question is no, airplanes cannot fly with their engines covered. Not possible.

I don't know what you saw here, but it was either a fake photo or it was not what you think you saw.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

Starlionblue

Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:45 am

Well, some planes can actually ferry with an engine covered. For example the Il-62.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

LineMechQX

Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:49 am

I don't understand people sometimes. I don't mean to be rude but, do you drive your car when its covered. I mean were does basic logic come into the equation here. One Should not have to be an engineer to figure this one out.

Sorry for my general disgust, I can't help it sometimes.
Late
PC

737doctor

Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:25 am

All I have to say is thanks for the laugh. I needed it today...
Patrick Bateman is my hero.

EMBQA

Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:33 am

That is definitely what the caption says it is.. Condensation. When the air conditions are right as the air passes into the intakes there is a sudden change in air pressure. The moisture in the air changes from a gas to a liquid. It's basicly the same effect you'll see on the top of a wing during take off sometimes. Early in the morning in the fall and early spring are prime times to see this occure. I'm seeing it now (to different degrees) almost everyday until the sun warms up the air.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

OPNLguy

Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:12 am

>>>That was not codensation. This is a superimposed picture showing the a/c with standard inlet covers

Well then, I guess that alot of other folks are superimposing similar pictures and posting them on A.Net....  Insane

View Large View Medium

Photo © Christian Andersson
View Large View Medium

Photo © Fernando Rocha

View Large View Medium

Photo © Sven De Bevere
View Large View Medium

Photo © Gerardo Dominguez - AirTeamImages

ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

spacecadet

Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:34 pm

One Should not have to be an engineer to figure this one out.

I thought the same thing but didn't want to say it. I feel the same about arguing over these pictures; the pictures are what they are, and have nothing to do with the question that was asked.

Some people here are young and new to aviation and they may not know even basic, stuff, though. But still, use some critical thinking skills - any combustion engine of any kind requires an air intake.

Well, some planes can actually ferry with an engine covered. For example the Il-62.

Well, yes, and I had a feeling someone would mention this. But it's not the question that was asked - the question that was asked was "I saw a photo some time ago on A.net that showed a Pan Am Dc-10 taking off from an airport with all three engines covered? Is this possible?"

The answer to that question is no, any way you slice it.

Ferried engines on most planes are not covered, anyway; the fan blades are secured to prevent windmilling, but the wind resistance precludes them being totally covered. But there may be some aircraft that can fly with a covered engine being ferried.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos