legacyins
Topic Author

Iceland Air To SFO

Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:07 pm

I just read on the PR newswire that Iceland Air will start new service from Iceland to SFO next summer. The seasonal service is a schedualed flight and will be on a 767 to run from May to September. It was interesting to note that the article mentioned that there were numerous requests for service to the West Coast of the US from the Scandinavian countries. Maybe SAS will monitor the situation to see if they will start their own service which was post poned a few years back.

LN-MOW

RE: Iceland Air To SFO

Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:56 pm

Link?? Can't find any info on PR Newswire or anywhere else for that matter ...

- I am LN-MOW, and I approve this message.

Birdwatching

Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:18 pm

I doubt it, because FI has a strict 757 policy to keep operational cost to a minimum. Operating one single 767 is not an option here, however, I could picture the flight being done by a (probably leased) Extended Range 757. But then, Icelandair tries to do 2 roundtrips per 24 hour cycle per plane (one eastbound, one westbound) to optimize the schedule (connections at KEF), and a flight to the pacific seaboard would be hard to fit into that - the plane would have to sit around at KEF for half a day unused.
NOTE: all I just said is my personal opinion, no confirmed news or anything.
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

Thomas_Jaeger

Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:40 pm

Icelandair operates two B767-300ERs in their Loftleidir charter and wet-lease division.
Swiss aviation news junkie living all over the place

copaair737

Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:38 pm

Damn. SFO seems to be doing well for itself lately. In 2004, we got BelAir, Air New Zealand (my fav new entrant), WJ is coming, UA restarted n/s service SFO-PEK. Now, in 2005, it seems a host of carriers are coming as well:
AI
EK
IcelandAir
SK
TG

UA's new NGO flights as well, SFO is looking forward to some great new carriers, and services. Now, all thats needed is a South American Carrier, or CM.

-Copa
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

as739x

Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:23 am

Its not new service. They have been flying to SFO for a long time during the summers. Birwatching, as Thomas said, they do have 767's and they've been to SFO before. This may be the first summer that the flight is not operated on as a scheduled charter.

Copa, according to the other threads, EK is looking bleek. They took SFO off the schedule.TG, well when I see them here, I'll believe. SK, where did you here that one? IE, keep your fingers crossed.Take care man!

ASSFO
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

LN-MOW

Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:03 am

ASSFO: SK executives have been mentioning it publicly. However there is nothing firm as of yet. And SK doesn't have available aircraft either.

- I am LN-MOW, and I approve this message.

MD11Lover

Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:25 am

Was EK planning to do a non-stop DXB-SFO?

MD11lover

latinaviation

Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:31 am

Here's the link to the press release:
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/041001/phf016_1.html

northernlights

Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:19 am

And here is the full story, the official press release from FI  Big thumbs up

ICELANDAIR TO START NONSTOP SERVICE FROM SAN FRANCISCO TO EUROPE

Icelandair is pleased to announce the opening of its sixth North American gateway in San Francisco, California. This will be the airline’s first direct service from the west coast, with current gateways in Minneapolis/St. Paul, Boston, New York-JFK, Baltimore/Washington-BWI and Orlando. San Francisco operations will be launched on May 18 and continue through October 15, 2005, with two weekly flights May 18 – June 1 and September 1 – October 15 (Wednesdays and Saturdays), increasing to four from June through August (Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays). Flights are scheduled to arrive from Iceland at 6:30pm and depart from San Francisco at 11:30pm.

“The San Francisco gateway will open new channels for transatlantic travel from not only the west coast but also cities in the southwestern United States and the northwest areas of the United States and Canada,” said Gunnar Eklund, General Manager The Americas, “as well as to destinations in the Pacific, such as Hawaii,” he added. Icelandair will operate a Boeing 767 aircraft with a seating capacity of 260, 30 seats in Business Class and 230 in Economy Class.

“Numerous requests for travel information about Iceland and Scandinavia indicated that there was a void in this market,” Eklund continued, “leading to Icelandair’s decision to make San Francisco our new gateway.” Eklund believes the airline’s expansion to the west coast will further enhance an already strong performance in the US/Canadian market.

In Europe, the airline will connect through its hub in Reykjavik, Iceland, via a newly implemented bank of afternoon direct flights to Copenhagen, Oslo, Stockholm, London, Paris, Frankfurt and Amsterdam. Frequency will vary to some destinations, depending on days of operations.

The popularity of Iceland as a destination has been enhanced by the airline’s “Take-A-Break” program, which enables travelers to visit up to seven days at no additional airfare while en route between North America and Scandinavia, the UK and Continental Europe. Icelandair’s current summer route network includes Amsterdam, Barcelona, Berlin, Copenhagen, Frankfurt, Glasgow, Hamburg, Helsinki, London, Madrid, Milan, Munich, Oslo, Paris, Stockholm and Zurich.

Icelandair, the flag carrier of Iceland, has been crossing the North Atlantic since 1948, offering regularly scheduled flights for more than half a century. Founded in 1937, Icelandair is the only airline in existence today with such a long and distinguished record on the transatlantic route. Safety, convenient schedules, short flying times, on-time performance and customer service have been the hallmarks of Icelandair operations.

In stark contrast with the international aviation industry, the Icelandair Group has seen unprecedented success in the last two years. The Icelandair Group consists of flight and travel service companies, which form the foundation of the fast growing Icelandic tourist industry, and include Icelandair, Icelandair Cargo, Icelandair Hotels, Air Iceland, Iceland Travel, Reykjavik Excursions, Icelandair/Hertz, Icelandair Ground Services, Icelandair Technical Services, Loftleidir-Icelandic and Icelandair Shared Services.

legacyins
Topic Author

Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:11 am

As739x:

This is actually a new service for Icelandair. They did fly a charter service into SFO last May for a day or two but never for an extended period of time. Last May, they chartered a "YES" 767 for a flight into SFO. I think you may be confusing this with Finnair, which flew into SFO for a few summer periods but discontiuned service a couple of years ago.

How did the get together go this past weekend at SFO? My G-friend was flew in on JL2 this past saturday.

Cheers.

northernlights

Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:44 pm

And because of all this expansion, Icelandair needs new pilots!!!  Big thumbs up
Interested??? Would you like to fly over the Icelandic and Greenlandic shores on your way to the various destinations of FI?

Pilots

Icelandair is now accepting applications for new pilot positions. Interested individuals who qualify are welcome to submit their applications. Due to the seasonal nature of Icelandair's operations, it is expected that new pilots will be employed from spring until fall of 2005.

Applicants must have a valid commercial pilot license with instrument rating for multi-engine aeroplanes, they must have completed a written course for an airline transport pilot license, and must have completed an approved course in multi-crew cooperation. The license must be issued by the Icelandic Civil Aviation Administration, or be issued in another member state of the Joint Aviation Authorities (JAA) in accordance with the JAA requirements. A minimum flight experience of 500 hrs is required and/or a type rating for a multi-pilot aeroplane. A minimum of 100 flight hours must be obtained as pilot-in-command. Applicant must have completed a matriculation exam or have an education which Icelandair deems to be equivalent.

Candidates have to be prepared to undergo selection examination in the coming weeks.

A copy of the following documents must accompany each application:

Pilot license along with all ratings and a valid medical certificate
Certificates for all theoretical ground courses with grades given for each course
Certificate for matriculation examination or similar study, with grades given
Copy of last 100 flight hours in pilot log book

On a separate sheet of paper, the following must be listed:

Total flight hours
Flight hours as instructor
IFR flight hours
Flight hours in command
Flight hours on multi-engine aeroplanes
Flight hours on multi-pilot aeroplanes
Flight hours on turbo-jet aeroplanes

Written applications with the information listed above must be submitted by 15 October 2004 to:

Icelandair
Personnel Department
Reykjavik Airport
101 Reykjavik
Iceland

Applications which have been previously submitted must be renewed.

as739x

Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:25 pm

Legacy...No I do remember it was Icelandair, but thought it ran longer then that. Owe well, they are coming!

The meeting when great. I was there from 8:30a-1:00p. Got really burned. We had a good 12-15 people. Wish you could have made it. Next time!!!!

ASSFO
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos