Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Opinion Of Delta's New Livery

Sat Mar 04, 2000 7:56 am

Since I first saw this paintscheme, I cringed. I couldn't believe that it was actually the new livery. Purple? Pink? An ugly cheatline? The dissapearance of the famous Delta logo? What a disgrace! One thing you should never change is a recognized and popular trademark - a no-no in the business world. Does anyone agree that this livery is disgusting?

RE: Opinion Of Delta's New Livery

Sat Mar 04, 2000 8:05 am

I think some have referred to it as the "clown face" for obvious reasons.

While I think a little more creativity would have helped, the new livery is clean and looks semi-decent on the widebodies (767 and 777). They way they have applied it to the MD88's is disgusting and needs to be reevaluated. The 738's look OK in the new colors though.

The famous DL logo is still there, just not on the tail where it was barely recognizable anyway. At least the new livery is not overly complicated like that of UA....

DL Livery: clean and fairly conservative. No risks were obviously taken here.

Sat Mar 04, 2000 8:09 am

Fair comments. Agreed that it is clean.
The logic behind it was supposed to be more business-like. That, in my opinion has not been achieved. I say go back to the dark blue, and get rid of the purple.
Does anybody thing that the Delta triangle should have been incorporated somehow?

boeingrulz

Sat Mar 04, 2000 8:10 am

Absolutely not, I think that the delta livery was dated and the new one is much more fresh and very well done. Love it! The delta logo has not disappeared, it is still there on the fuselage just aft of the front door, along with the words Delta Air Lines.

Company's often change logo's and corporate identities to keep pace with changing tastes and to re-invigorate the look. This livery says "Delta is the same company you always knew, but now we have a new direction, we are keeping up with the times and becoming better, and not just resting on our laurels".

Carolyn

Scooter

Sat Mar 04, 2000 8:17 am

As a professional graphic designer, I have to say that the 'new' (it's been around for what - 3 years?) livery is a job well done. Bright colors, bold lines...looks very modern and professional. While it's not the best design ever created, it's a HUGE leap from what they had.

Delta has a very strong corporate identity going for them right now...one of the best in the business.

Just my $.02

-Scott

boeingrulz

Hey Scooter

Sat Mar 04, 2000 8:22 am

I'm a Graphic Designer also! Nice to hear from another designer. I am very enthusiastic about the new livery and about Delta's corporate identity.

Carolyn

deltairlines

Sat Mar 04, 2000 8:27 am

I personally think it is a lot better than the old, and I think Landor did an excellant job. I prefer the "bright white" compared to the "dull white" (if you compare you'll see a difference in the shades of white). I think it is very professional. Also, notice the list of airlines that have changed liveries during the 30 years Delta had the old one:

American
United
USAir (now US Airways)
Continental
America West
Northwest
Alaska
British Airways
Trans World Airlines
American Trans Air
Varig
Aeromexico
Icelandair
Cathay Pacific
Ansett
Countless Others...

If you look at this list, 9 of the 10 (including Delta) have changed their livery alone in the last 10-15 years, the exception being Southwest. Europe seems to be a little more conservative though...

Jeff

TWA757

Sat Mar 04, 2000 8:41 am

I really like it, esp. on the 767/777 and 727. On the MD-11, it looks bad. The tail is my favorite because it is very clean and visually appealing. The 757 also looks nice. I disagree with the people who disliked the old livery. I liked it! I am glad that DL chose to keep the classic cheatline in the new livery.

VirginA340

Sat Mar 04, 2000 9:06 am

As a graphic designer I love Delta's new paint scheme on their planes. It's nice to hear from other graphic designers on how bright their planes look in their new paint job. Much better than the circus clown look especially on their new 767-400 and 777-200. Go Delta!!!

Sat Mar 04, 2000 9:17 am

I love the new Delta look. I used to think Delta planes were so old and ugly, but now I find myself liking the new scheme very much.
Who keeps calling cheatlines old fashion, I think they compliment the fuselage very well if the correct colors are matched.
talk about clowns, don't u guys find JAL & CX planes look like they've got a band-aid over the nose?

flyf15

Sat Mar 04, 2000 9:26 am

I like it a lot!

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Chris Barrow

DL_Mech

Sat Mar 04, 2000 9:48 am

I guess I'm in the minority here. I have gotten used to the cheatline, but I still hate the tail and engines. Delta had stated in a memo that they would no longer use the word "Delta" without "Air Lines" following. I guess they had changed their mind on the tail. I also miss the engine decals and Boeing Stratoface type on the fuselage; I guess this was part of the "cleaning up" process.

BryanG

Why Bare Tails?

Sat Mar 04, 2000 12:15 pm

On the new sceme, why are the APUs not painted on the 767/757. The fuselage tails are bare metal. They were painted over on the old scheme.

It makes the new planes look very odd and incomplete, especially when they're at gates and passengers of taxiing planes can see their rears.

Also, how come the same regions on the 737s and other planes ARE painted?

dc-9-10

Sat Mar 04, 2000 12:27 pm

I think that the new design is just marvouls. It will look alot better when they have there whole fleet pained that way, expecialy in there hubs. The new cheat line is just putting a new look on a old design, go Delta!!

DL_Mech

RE: Why Bare Tails?

Sat Mar 04, 2000 12:31 pm

There are actually two airplanes where the 767 tail/apu is painted white. Ships 190 and 191 were the first a/c to be painted by Boeing and I guess were a mistake. Next time you are in ATL airport, look at the screensaver on one of the new computers- it is a picture of ship 190.On the old livery, you could tell the Boeing factory paint jobs because the stripe went all the way to the tip of tail. Douglas painted MD-88s had the word Delta painted under the forward widget.

Pbb152

Sat Mar 04, 2000 2:03 pm

Hey ACL1011, I'd love to know how you could possibly see purple and pink in DL's livery. It looks quite clearly to me to be dark blue and red. Am I colorblind? I'd love to know anyone elses take on this. By the way, I didn't quite care for DL's scheme when I first saw it, but I have come to like it, especially on their 777's and MD-11's.

Sat Mar 04, 2000 2:53 pm

I loved Delta's old livery - but in retrospect I can say that it was not totally suitable for the 21st century and did look 'cluttered' relative to the new look;

The new livery I was wary of at the start but it has certainly grown on me! And I am proud to see that the world's most important airline (don't mean to open up a can of worms) has not 'gone with the flow' - and indeed has designed a cheatline unlike most of the modern carriers such as Continental (altho don't get me wrong - it looks very good!) with 'euro-white' color schemes.

Personally, my favorite Delta livery is the one that the DC-8-10s were delivered in. They were incredibly smart altho certainly not appropriate for a fleet-wide reversion.

Maybe when Spirit of Delta comes up for repainting they could put it in the 1958 JetLiner colors?   Just a thought!

Anyways...... I like the old one and now I like the new one!

By the way if anyone has the June 1997 timetable, then that has a picture of N190DN with a white tail-cone on it on the front cover!

Just my input!

DLMD-11.

ps. I may be a tad partial to Delta Air Lines!

deltairlines

Sun Mar 05, 2000 12:08 am

Hi DLMD-11,
I have seen a model of the new Spirit of Delta fuselage, and it is in the new colors, except the front of it is painted like it was for the 1996 Olympics. Basically, it's the front half of the Olympic plane, and the rear is in basic Delta colors.

Jeff

Sun Mar 05, 2000 8:52 am

I love it, it's too bad they won't be putting it on their L-1011s since they are going to be retired soon. Looks great on some of their Express 737s and their wide body 767s & 777s.

ord

Mon Mar 06, 2000 11:58 pm

Basically I like the job they've done. It was time for something new. I like the way they kept the Delta "look" and do like the cheatline, especially the way it tapers toward the back of the plane. My only gripe is the dramatic drop of the bare metal as it approaches the front part of the plane. Clearly this was to continue the old look, since it had a drop off too, but it takes away from a jet's long and sleek look (particularly from the side). I wish they found a way to make the metal/white paint line go straight across.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos