Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

soaringadi
Topic Author

What Do You Learn From Lax?

Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:21 pm

Just wanted to know if any of you learned any new things from Lax ?

This is not a random topic. What I mean is the way pax. are supposed to act at the airport, or anything extra for the job you do at the airport etc. etc.

Smile

[Edited 2004-10-05 09:22:07]
If it ain't Boeing, I'm not going !

DeltaGuy

RE: What Do You Learn From Lax?

Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:24 pm

LAX, as in the show?

If that's the question...then answer, nothing  Smile

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

coa764

Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:16 pm

I have learned, from reading about the show before it aired, never to watch it.....

It is kind of like Die Hard 2, it was cool the first time I saw it but after working in aviation is just to agonizing to sit through anymore.
Please oh please Mr Moderator Nazi, dont delete my thread.

dantiger

Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:38 pm

Not too realistic I am afraid. Like tonight a reporter was leaving on an assignment to the Middle East and boarded a B727. He should have a very big and tragic story after his plane passes over Nova Scotia. Was sort of cool as some Spoters had to be chased away from a fence as security thought their telescope was a ground to air missle launcher. Hard times for Spoters. Oh and I learned that Heather Lockliar is still one Hot Chi Chi Momma!
Spell check not working on site tonight so excuse any errors.

OPNLguy

Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:16 am

>>>Just wanted to know if any of you learned any new things from Lax ?

Yes, I've learned what a horribly written and stupid TV show looks like!  Big grin
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

AAR90

Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:46 am

If that's the question...then answer, nothing

Truthfully, a reinforcement of the concept that no "entertainment" or "news" organization has any idea how to produce accurate "entertainment" or "news" when dealing with an aviation (or military, or whatever) subject matter.
*NO CARRIER* -- A Naval Aviator's worst nightmare!

citationjet

Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:05 am

After the first episode, I learned not to watch it again.
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,73G,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773,788.

ordflyer

Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:09 am

I haven't learned anything from the show other than Heather Locklear looks great in those increasingly lower cut dresses they have her wearing!

USAFHummer

Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:36 am

I think I might have lost a few brain cells watching it...worth the sacrifice though to see what those boneheads have up their sleeves next...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

DeltaGuy

Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:57 am

Truthfully, a reinforcement of the concept that no "entertainment" or "news" organization has any idea how to produce accurate "entertainment" or "news" when dealing with an aviation (or military, or whatever) subject matter.

Roger that. Now, does this show have actual aviation consultants, and if so, are they given free reign, or just suggestion power? Someone seriously needs to come clean up these aviation shows, because even the general public is starting to see how fake it is.

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

dairbus

Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:22 am

Someone posted in an earlier thread that the show does have a consultant but the producers ignored most if not all of his input. I have no way of knowing if this is true or not.
"I love mankind. It's people I can't stand." - Charles Shultz

hz747300

Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:31 am

What have I learned by watching LAX?

That I would still want Heather Locklear to give me a lap dance on my birthday.

Also, I learned that when cops screw up, they beat the crap out of other people. I learned that ex-UA 727-200s have added fuel tanks to fly LAX-AMM nonstop. Basically, I learned that if this show is popular, that we are truly a minority that appreciates civilian aircraft...
Keep on truckin'...

OB1504

Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:51 am

I learned that ex-UA 727-200s have added fuel tanks to fly LAX-AMM nonstop.

And that RJ-75s and RJ-85s have the range to do LAX-PVG...

JAXpax

Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:03 am

I learned that certain die-hard aviation enthusiasts don't understand that the vast majority of technical errors in the show go unnoticed to 99% of the viewers, and that these enthusiasts are not necessarily NBC's target audience with the show.

N1120A

Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:07 am

I have learned that NBC knows nothing about aviation. It is one thing to say a BAe146 flies LAX-PVG (they really did that?) but another to have an airport manager with "a direct line to the tower." At a real airport, the tower would tell the airport manager "you manage the shops and the FAA will take care of the air, and who are you again?"
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

andersjt

Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:08 am

That the always working Heather Locklear, is laughing (at herself, the show, and the producers), all the way to the bank. Good for her, no pretense for her, she's in it for the money.

Oh how I long for the day when the skies were truly Friendly!

22right

Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:19 am

What do I learn from LAX?

A: Never under-estimate the power of cleavage in the workplace!
"I never apologize! I am sorry, but that's the way it is!" - Homer Simpson

OPNLguy

Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:21 am

>>>the show does have a consultant but the producers ignored most if not all of his input. I have no way of knowing if this is true or not.

One look at the final show (as aired) should indicate that it's true...  Big grin
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

MaverickM11

Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:37 am

No matter where you are, there is always a 727 in the window, and an engine spooling up. In fact, that engine spool occurs every 17 seconds, no matter where the characters are.
I don't take responsibility at all

srbmod

Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:45 am

I learned that I could do a better show than what the bozos that created LAX has put together. I would love to see an airline/airport related show that is part drama part comedy. LAX is nothing more than a poorly written and excuted puff piece on LAX.

The only reason why LAX will even last a season or two is Heather Locklear; they could put a test pattern featuring her on it and draw a decent rating.............. But if they bring Ted McGinley on there as a character, the series will be dead within a two seasons (the ony exception having been Married With Childrem).

AZjetgeek

Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:02 am

I learned after the first three episodes not to watch it again. While Heather is still very pleasing to the eye, the show is over-acted and amateurish at best. Dialogue is standard issue and technical accuracy is unimportant. I'm not really certain Heather Locklear can act, but I know Blair Underwood can and this show is a total waste of his talent. The writers should be taken out onto the tarmac and run over by a 777. The producers should spend three hours on a CRJ-200 and the NBC executives who approved putting this garbage on the air should be forced to sit next to a 700-pound passenger on the LAX-SYD flight on QF.
Long live the RJ!

Tom in NO

Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:58 am

Being in the airport management industry, I've barely even given this show more than a cursory look. I knew what to expect going in, and frankly, Monday Night Football games with teams (so far) that I don't really care about are a lot more interesting than this trash.

Someone mentioned a consultant to the show whose suggestions were obviously not being used, which doesn't surprise me. If someone can dig up a name, post the name of the consultant here.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

AFHokie

Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:21 am

"I have learned that NBC knows nothing about aviation. It is one thing to say a BAe146 flies LAX-PVG (they really did that?) but another to have an airport manager with "a direct line to the tower." At a real airport, the tower would tell the airport manager "you manage the shops and the FAA will take care of the air, and who are you again?" "

Good thing NBC isn't in the aviation business.... Big thumbs up

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos