jpintoa
Topic Author

Airlines With Major Number Of Hubs

Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:15 pm

Which airlines have a major number of hubs, megahubs and minihubs worldwide? And which are those hubs?

luv2fly

RE: Airlines With Major Number Of Hubs

Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:23 pm

Well

NW has DTW, MSP and MEM as hubs and both DTW and MSP would be considered megahubs, most likely MSP more than DTW though. Minihubs or focus cities would be MKE, IND and they are looking at PIT as well.
You can cut the irony with a knife

pzurita1

Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:37 pm

AA has three huge hubs (DFW, MIA and ORD) one minor hub (SJU) with several focus cities or "minihubs" (JFK, LAX, RDU, BOS)

I can also think in United with 3 hubs: ORD, SFO and IAD.

Though not at the same scale, Mexican Aerolitoral is also a 3-hubs airline (MTY, GDL and HMO)

PZ
Next flight: IAH-DBX-MRU-ANT

odafz

Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:43 pm

Hubs :

Air France Major hub in CDG, mini hubs at Bordeaux, Lyon, Marseilles, Clermont-Ferrand.

Continental Airlines : Hubs at EWR, CLE and IAH

Austrian Airlines Mega hub in Vienna

KLM mega hub in Amsterdam

Alitalia mega hub in Milan mini-hub in FCO

Delta : Mega hub in Atlanta, Hubs in CVG, SLC, DFW (tro be eliminated), mini-hub in JFK .

Hope to have been of some help.

ei2ksea

Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:47 pm

You could maybe add Tokyo to NWA's list of mini-hubs. (?)

Then maybe also add Guam to Continental's although im not sure what connections are like there.

Then i suppose SK with CPH, ARL and OSL is a European major with multiple hubs which is quite rare! Others being AZ with Milan and Rome, IB with Barcelona and Madrid or perhaps LH with Munich and Frankfurt (and hopefully Berlin eventually).

Regards
Ph

[Edited 2004-10-05 15:53:33]
Next Flight: EWR-SEA (AS), SEA-EWR (UA), EWR-SEA-EWR (UA)

JAFA

Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:47 pm

Ahem......
NW...domestically the largest hub is DTW, followed by MSP and MEM.
NRT and AMS are also considered hubs.
IND & MKE are not considered hubs, although some connecting opportunites may be available. In that case you may also consider HNL since connections can be made to the US mainland from Japan.

ntspelich

Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:52 pm

Dont' forget DEN for UA also.
United 717 heavy, you're facing the wrong way. Any chance you can powerback to get off of my deice pad?

jpintoa
Topic Author

Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:52 pm

In Mexico, Aeromexico has hubs in MEX, MTY, GDL, HMO; Mexicana has hubs in MEX, CUN, LAX

MAH4546

Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:17 am

AA has three huge hubs (DFW, MIA and ORD) one minor hub (SJU) with several focus cities or "minihubs" (JFK, LAX, RDU, BOS)

AA has a fifth hub, STL. The focus cities, in addition to the four you mentioned, also include LGA, AUS, SJC, and FLL.
a.

LUV4JFK

Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:48 am

I think American, United and Northwest led the way with hubs, each having 5 a piece:

AA:
DFW,ORD,MIA,STL,SJU

UA:
ORD,DEN,SFO,IAD,LAX

NW:
DTW,MSP,MEM,AMS,NRT

LUV4JFK
 Big thumbs up
John F. Kennedy International Airport: Where America Greets The World.

jpintoa
Topic Author

Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:50 am

I dont think AUS and FLL are huns for AA, because they are operated mainly by CO and DL

ILSApproach

Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:51 am

As to DTW being a bigger hub to NWA than MSP.................I don't think so.

MSP ranks 7th in the world for aircraft movements...................consider that NW has around 90 of 106 gates! And a virtual monopoly here! DTW doesn't even make the top ten on the list!!

Sure DTW may have a few more connecting flights from Europe via codesharing.................but all around MSP has it beat!

Mike @ MSP of course!!!!

MAH4546

Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:52 am

I dont think AUS and FLL are huns for AA, because they are operated mainly by CO and DL

Nobody said they were hubs, they are focus cities, which they are. AA is the second largest carrier at AUS, after Southwest, so I don't know where you got CO from. American Airlines is the second largest carrier at FLL, after Delta.
a.

RogerThat

Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:54 am

American Eagle has a hub in XNA Northwest Arkansas. I connected there once when the nonstop STL - DFW was full up.

ORDZW

Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:05 am

Connecting in a particular city does not necessarily make it a hub. STL and DFW are both hubs for AA, so there are numerous "connecting" cities between the two. I have connected between DEN and ORD on UA/UAX through several cities, including MSP, ICT, SGF and others. These are definitely not UA hubs, they are simply served by more than one UA city. Therefore, they are just connecting possibilities. XNA was simply a very creative way of getting you home!
9E, AA, AQ, AX, BA, CO, CP, DH, DL, EV, F9, FL, HA, HP, KL, NK, NW, OH, OO, QX, RP, RW, S5, TW, UA, US, WN, YV, ZK, ZW

flymia

Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:04 am

I would not call AMS a hub for NW. They fly to the US from AMS but do they connect from there? Sure with KLM but than you can call LHR a hub for AA. Or CDG a hub for AF.
ILSApproach: Also aircraft movements dont mean much. It is the amount of passenger that come in. Lets just say MSP has 300 Movements a day from NW but 105 are CRJ. 50 pax. And than you got DTW with 250 Movements but only 65 are CRJ. And the rest all have over 70 PAX.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

EuroLeb

Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:39 am

Northwest calls Detroit Metro International Airport, specifically, the new ultra-modern McNamara Terminal, its "world hub." I've been once to the new state-of-the-art facility myself once since it's opened less than 3 years ago, and it sure is significantly different than the old/ugly terminal that existed before! MSP also has a very nice terminal, which the last time I've passed through was in January 2002. So, yes - both MSP and DTW are considered equally important for NorthWest followed by Memphis, Tokyo, Amsterdam and Seattle.

By the way, does anybody know when work is scheduled on the very old "Berry Terminal" at Detroit Metro?

http://www.metroairport.com/

**********I'D LOVE TO SEE AIR FRANCE THERE VERY SOON!**********

Air Canada has 3 primary hubs in Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver and a mini hub in Calgary

Delta Airlines has the biggest hub in the world at Atlanta as well as 2 other primary hubs in Cincinnati and Salt Lake City. Any other ones? Is JFK one of them?

How about other US carriers such as America West, Alaska Airlines, US Airways, JetBlue, SouthWest, etc.. ???

[Edited 2004-10-06 17:53:18]
Calgary is my home...

Spike

Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:48 am

You forgot China, for movements and connections:

Air China has:

Beijing
Shanghai
Guangzhou
Dalian
Xiamen
Chongqing
Kunming
Nanjing
Tianjin
Shenzhen
Zhuhai
Xi'an
Hong Kong
Macau
Wuhan

to name but a few.....

LUV4JFK

Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:04 am

Euroleb,

JFK is more of a focus city than a hub for Delta. America West has 2 hubs, PHX & LAS. CMH was closed a couple of years ago. Alaska hubs are SEA & ANC while LAX & PDX are focus cities. US Airways hubs are CLT & PHL and the soon to be dismantled PIT, like what they did to BWI many years ago. JetBlue has hubs at JFK & LGB and FLL as a focus city. Southwest claims to have no hubs, but their major airports are PHX, LAS, DAL, HOU, MDW, BWI, OAK, & LAX. Spirit hubs in FLL & DTW, Midwest hubs in MKE & MCI with a focus in OMA and AirTran hubs in ATL with focus cities in MCO, BWI, and soon DFW.

LUV4JFK
 Big thumbs up

dmt52

Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:06 am

ILS Approach:

Northwest considers DTW its largest hub. There are more NWA flights out of DTW then MSP. NWA has 95+ gates at the Northwest WorldGateway Terminal and is adding about 26 more. That puts NWA with over 120 gates at DTW. They also show DTW in all of the their literature, commercials and print advertising. If I am not mistaken DTW only ranks one lower then MSP in the busiest airports in the US.
Go Green! Go White!

EnviroTO

Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:35 am

I would consider Toronto a megahub compared to Montreal which is a much smaller hub than both Toronto and Vancouver. Toronto has direct flights to more US cities than the other two, more direct flights to Canadian cities than the other two, direct flights to Asia, direct flights to Europe, direct flights to the Carribean, and direct flights to South America. While Montreal has significant Air Canada operations, it seems to be more of a destination than a connection point. Only significant hubs have direct servce on one airline to four continents.

foxiboy

Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:04 am

BA has LHR,LGW,MAN as main hubs

mia

Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:29 am

Something I find funny about Alitalia's hubs, is that it was not until recently that they opened a flight attendant station in Milan, when most of their flights leave from Milano.
"Like all great travelers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen."

RCS763AV

Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:42 am

Avianca:

HUB: BOG (Bogota ElDorado)

Focus Cities: MDE, CLO.

Lan_Fanatic

Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:28 am

We could add LAN to the list, with hubs in SCL, LIM and GYE.

Timaay419

Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:28 pm

YES! WE CANNOT FORGET STL for AA!

RogerThat

Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:45 am

MSY New Orleans should be considered a hub for AA. I just connected there today: LGA - MSY - DFW. The one-way fare was less than half the LGA - DFW nonstop.

AA wants to fight it out with jetBlue on the MSY - LGA route. If they yank out MRTC, thats a fight they will shirley lose.

keno

Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:04 pm

I would not call AMS a hub for NW. They fly to the US from AMS but do they connect from there? Sure with KLM but than you can call LHR a hub for AA.

That's because from AMS there are enormous amount of connecting flights that carry NW codes to Europe/Africa/Middle East/Asia. Sure AA has its equivalent with BA, and DL with AF but still cannot match KL/NW codeshare network. Not to mention their partnership that is unique in the industry.

Qantas has a well-developed hub at Singapore. Passengers from various Australian cities meet in SIN and connect to QF/BA service to LHR.

gigneil

Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:16 pm

I would not call AMS a hub for NW.

I would. They offer flights to nonhub cities across the US, as well as BOM, and a large number of onwards connections on KL. They consider it a hub, therefore so should we.

The other examples you gave of AA at LHR is different. AA only serves its hub cities from LHR.

MSY New Orleans should be considered a hub for AA. I just connected there today: LGA - MSY - DFW. The one-way fare was less than half the LGA - DFW nonstop.

No it shouldn't, and neither is XNA. American does not operate a hub at either airport or anything remotely resembling one.

Major US airline hubs:

AS: ANC, SEA
DL: ATL, CVG, SLC
AA: MIA, DFW, ORD, STL
NW: NRT, MEM, DTW, MSP, AMS
UA: IAD, ORD, LAX, DEN, SFO, NRT
US: CLT, PHL
HP: LAS, PHX
CO: EWR, IAH, GUM
B6: JFK, LGB

That's it. It really isn't subject to interpretation. Obviously they have focus cities and some have international gateways, but these are their hubs as published by themselves.

N

RogerThat

Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:21 pm

Gigneil,

Do we have your permission to call AA's SJU hub a hub?

moman

Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:27 pm

I don't think even AA considers SJU a hub. It might have been in the past but they consider ORD, DFW, STL, MIA the major US hubs.

Moman
AA Platinum Member - American Airlines Forever

gigneil

Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:29 pm

AA does acknowledge SJU as a hub for Eagle, so yes I think adding SJU to the list is proper.

AMR has a separate list of Eagle hubs...

BOS, ORD, LAX, SJU, LGA, JFK, DFW, and MIA.

N

LUV4JFK

Sat Oct 09, 2004 4:25 am

AMR has a separate list of Eagle hubs...

BOS, ORD, LAX, SJU, LGA, JFK, DFW, and MIA.

If American considers JFK an Eagle hub with only 20 flights a day, they are in some serious trouble. I could only suppose this list was not updated since 9/11. Before that, they had over 60 flights a day.

LUV4JFK
 Big thumbs up

wdleiser

Sat Oct 09, 2004 5:15 am

United - KORD(biggest) KDEN, KLAX, KSFO, KIAD

now if Amsterdam is hub to Northwest then Heathrow and Frankfurt are UAL hubs too

American - KORD, KMIA, KDFW, and a large presense at KJFK

Delta - KATL, KSLC, KCVG, KJFK

America West - KPHX, KLAS

Continental - KIAH, KEWR, KCLE

Now does Atlanta officially have more flights a day than O'hare? I know many people base that fact off of old statistics. But I see O'hare with 2 major international airlines and with more international flights and airlines than Atlanta.

Rafabozzolla

Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:51 am

Actually Iberia does not consider BCN as a hub. It gets a lot of traffic, that's true, and therefore there are natural connection opportunities due to its critical mass, but Iberia markets MAD as its hub. BCN is for sure an important station for IB and might be called a "hub" for flights to the balearic islands (Palma de Mallorca, Ibiza, Menorca).

jpintoa
Topic Author

Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:00 am

which airline has the largest number of hubs?

ZKSUJ

Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:09 am

Emirates has a few and QF has SYD, BNE, LAX, LHR, SIN while NZ have AKL, CHC, WLG and to a small extent LAX.

jpintoa
Topic Author

Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:14 am

MEX is a hub for CO, because they serve IAH, SAT, EWR, MFE and in the future Laredo

RogerThat

Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:26 am

Jpinto,

MEX is not a hub for CO, it is a spoke. No one - not even these mileage whores - would fly CO from EWR to SAT via MEX.

This is almost as loco as me calling XNA and MSY hubs for AA just because I was the only passenger to change planes there.

TACAA320

Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:59 pm

TA has three (SAL/SJO/LIM).

IB has two mini hubs for Central America (GUA and PTY).
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

flyyul

Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:46 pm

EnviroTO,

In terms of movements, Montreal rivals Vancouver.

Vancouver has much more international movement, where Montreal has much more transborder.

aer

Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:53 pm

"IB has two mini hubs for Central America (GUA and PTY)."

Well, GUA isn't a hub per se, it is more like a transfer city from IB to TA; then again I don't know if this is exactlly what a hub is supposed to be.
nice and spacious airports in need of new airlines and flights... GUA or FRS anyone?... anyone at all?

stlgph

Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:26 pm

I dont even think I would consider St. Louis a hub for American Airlines at this point and time. -Maybe- Southwest.

if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos