Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FLAIRPORT
Topic Author

JetBlue To BDL Or PVD?

Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:43 am

As you all know, I went on jetBlue to LGA for a college visit this weekend. The college is 90 minutes from the LGA airport...the closest airport is BDL. Now that I'm hooked on B6, what are the chances of them going to BDL or PVD within the next year or two? They'll have Airbus deliveries plus the EMB190s, so plenty of aircraft...Also, they have filled up almost every aircraft to and from LGA!!! So, they can operate at 2 airports.

BDL is in desperate need of service, espically from FLL, between 2 song flights and an occasional PanAm flight, there is plenty of room for expansion. Plus, BDL is really attracting a different crowd than the NYC airports as well as BOS, so, although the distance between BDL and BOS, LGA, and JFK are small, there is still demand.

I could see them starting with, say, 4 flights to FLL, 4 to MCO, 2 to TPA, 1 to RSW, and if they are really bold, 1 to SJU from BDL. (pushing my luck, I know!)
And from PVD I can see 4 to FLL, 4 to MCO, and 2 to TPA.

Let me know what you think and what rumors are spreading!

Cory6188

RE: JetBlue To BDL Or PVD?

Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:59 am

Ay, dios mio...

I think that you might want to don some flameproof armor. We have had many, many, many "Where will B6 serve next?" threads, and some a.net members were beginning to get a little annoyed by it.

I doubt that BDL is high up their on their list of cities. I would think that it is too close to LGA and JFK to warrant service, but you never know.

ScottB

Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:08 am

Both BDL and PVD are quite well-served to Florida with Song and Southwest at BDL and Spirit and Southwest at PVD. I think you need to ease up on the blue Kool-Aid or get used to flying to LGA.

Jetblue15

Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:53 am

B6 next city will most likely be somewhere in the midwest and won't happen until next year. PVD and BDL are of no interest to B6.

FLAIRPORT
Topic Author

Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:53 am

well, while I'm going to get flamed, how about...when will SA)">B6 fly FLL-GSO? (another college reason)

I am not really doing this because of college alone...If they went to BDL and I went to college there, I'd apply for a job there in a heartbeat...so, the real question is, will they serve it in 4 years?

Cory: If they can pull LGA off and fill every plane, the demand is obviously there...

FLL-BDL:
2X song
1X PanAm (?)
FLL-PVD
1X SA WN
1X SA US

trust me, there is pleanty of room there, espically for jetBlue!

I think this is a good time to point out that most people who I talk about jetBlue with don't know song, even if they've flown it before! Also, a lot of bags on my LGA flight had DELTA tags! So, they would steal some business from DL at BDL for sure!

uswyjer

Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:18 am

USAirways is slated to start a daily flight and an additional Saturday flight between BDL and FLL this winter; Pan Am I'm not holding my breath on, I'm hoping that BDL will not be another one of their, fly irregularly for a bit and then pull out, cities.

MAH4546

Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:18 am

FLL-BDL:
2X song
1X PanAm (?)
FLL-PVD
1X SA WN
1X SA US

FLL-BDL:
2x DL
1x US
4w PanAm
2x AA (MIA)

FLL-PVD:
1w US
1w WN
2x NK

The markets are both well served, with the exception that PVD could use an MIA flight. No need for jetBlue.

ERJ170

Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:54 am

Doesn't jetBlue usually find a following regardless of whether there is a need or not? I mean, is there really a need for over 40 daily flights NYC-FLL? I mean, I know that there is a lot of travelers between the two metros.. but there are some significant seats between the two.

If jetBlue went into PVD, I'm sure they would do much like they did in NYC and find a healthy marketshare. So, I think that jetBlue would do just as well with a PVD-FLL and PVD-JFK. I mean, they couldn't go in with 8 dailies, but they could definitely do 2 or so a day.

Just my 40 acres and a mules worth...

Kase

MAH4546

Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:08 pm

Doesn't jetBlue usually find a following regardless of whether there is a need or not?

No.

I mean, is there really a need for over 40 daily flights NYC-FLL?

40 daily FLL-NYC? It is more than that, closer to 60 this winter. You have over 120 daily NYC-MFW flights that serve the 16,000+ daily O&D passengers; over 5.8M people a year, which is more than the population of South Florida (5.1M).

You have to live in South Florida to really understand how linked the New York City and South Florida are. Many people fly between the cities 4+ times a year. I fly the NYC-MFW route at least six times a year. It is a business market, a leisure market, a VFR market. People in New York City take weekend getaways to Miami, people in Miami will take day trips to the city to catch a Saturday matinee on Broadway (sounds extreme, but not rare at all). People in New York City come visit their grandparents in West Palm Beach, people in Miami visit their uncles and aunts in New York City. South Floridians flock to New York City for Thanksgiving; New Yorkers flock to South Florida for February break. Some South Floridians know the NYC subway lines just as well as some New Yorker's know their South Beach party spots. South Florida is called New York City's sixth borough for good reason.

South Florida might as well become part of New York...it is more New York than it will ever be Florida.

You cannot compare the BDL/PVD-FLL markets to FLL-NYC. There is just so much traffic on MFW-NYC, it isn't funny.

jeffie813

Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:17 pm

People in New York City come visit their grandparents in West Palm Beach

mark - i usually enjoy and learn from reading your comments, but man, that hurt!

ERJ170

Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:20 pm

I can understand the NYC-SoFL market.. really, I can.

What I am saying is that B6 is well known in New England as it is in NYC/SoFL market. NYC residents flocks to the north also. I know when I go to Newport for the summer, there are just as many NY plates as RI. A JFK-PVD flight would do just as well as a JFK-ALB/BUF flight. New Englanders travel to SoFL also.. so I do believe that PVD could handle the extra flights from B6. At least 2 daily. The US & WN flights are weekend only flights so only the Spirit flights are daily (and I do believe that one of them is seasonal, right?) I just think that it could work.

MAH4546

Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:21 pm

People in New York City come visit their grandparents in West Palm Beach

mark - i usually enjoy and learn from reading your comments, but man, that hurt!

Well, it is a stereotype, but it's very true, though people don't retire to the region as much as they want to, so it is no longer "full of old people" like it used to be. And they visit their grandparents in Aventura, Delray,and Boca too.

MSYtristar

Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:26 pm

Well they don't call it "God's Waiting Room" for nothing.  Smile Although I hear that name is directed more towards the RSW area.

jeffie813

Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:27 pm

Well, it is a stereotype, but it's very true, though people don't retire to the region as much as they want to, so it is no longer "full of old people" like it used to be.

you're right, but as painful as it is for me to admit it, on a flight from BWI - PBI at the beginning of september i was flabbergasted at the amount of wheelchairs and near-deads being wheeled on to the plane. thankfully, it is more the exception now than the rule.

prosa

Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:36 pm

Well they don't call it "God's Waiting Room" for nothing. Although I hear that name is directed more towards the RSW area.

PIE area, actually.

N1120A

Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:57 pm

B6 flies to BOS, so they would likely focus there before PVD

FLAIRPORT
Topic Author

Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:48 pm

I guess I should restate my question...When the EMB190s come into play, could we see BDL and PVD being added to fill some EMB190 or A320 void to Florida?

I saw 3 wheelcheairs going down to FLL and none going up to LGA!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos