Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FlyGuyClt
Topic Author

Things Passengers Do To Put Crews In Mood.

Sat Oct 09, 2004 8:17 pm

Just somethings I have noticed over the years that passengers do, that could make or break a first impression. Somethings to think about so you never encounter the "rude mean nasty" flight attendant.

1. When someone says hello, even if you are on the phone, nod, aknowledge or just crack a fake smile.

2. Please don't hand me your "used" baby diaper to me while I try to hand you a meal tray. Do you expect me to offer the next customer a tray or your diaper as a choice?

3. You paid for the seat you are sitting in. Grabbing my "seat" will not get you any brownie points or an extra bag of nutts. (Don't grab those either)

4. Get that kid off the tray table. People eat on that!

5. Yes I will help you with your children on boarding and deplanning. But this is not a day care center. I would love to help you more. But when do I have the time during the meal service? And no, it is not my reponsibility to tell "Princess" to buckle her seat belt. YOU are the parent.

6. I am sorry the child is kicking your chair. But there is little I can do other than strangle the child. Unless you are willing to pay me for the next 30 years, you are on your own.

7. Yes I do understand the liquor is free. But it is not a free for all, all night long.

8. The bag is way to big for the overhead, My apologies but I have to check it. (Oh thanks for the kind words.)

9. I am sorry you did not get your upgrade today. But I am not going to check to see if the ones that were upgraded are more "elite" than you.

10. We are on time today, I really don't care to hear about your experiance 5 years ago when you were 15 minutes late on another airline.

These are just somethings that "could" put a crew in a mood. Feel free to blast me or post things you have seen. But ALL is in good humor and fun. Something we could use on this board !

Safe Flying With a Little Humor and a Smile !  Smile

**** This is not a flight attendant bashing thread. Please refrain from doing so, or I'll find your real name and cancel your frequent flyer miles.  Smile A joke too by the way.

[Edited 2004-10-09 13:22:38]
Florida Express, Braniff II and ......

aviaction

RE: Things Passengers Do To Put Crews In Mood.

Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:05 pm

Dear Flyguyclt

Lucky you! You work for an airline where it is still possible to be put in the right mood by your dear passengers.

Just imagine working for Ryanair ... not a single tray table left ... so not putting my kid on it can't make you smile.

Just imagine working for most other airlines where cabin crew don't really know anymore what a tray (with proper food on it) looks like.

Just imagine working for most other airlines where there is no free booze anymore ... not even a single shot.

Just imagine working for Song where not a single passenger will be upgraded.

Just imagine how difficult it is for cabin crew working for those airlines to be put in the right cheerful mood.

Lucky you!

Cheerful flying to all of us.
Aviaction
German by nationality, European by heart!

FlyGuyClt
Topic Author

Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:28 pm

You are most correct, I am very thankfull to be employed by the company I fly for. We try our best to make it a good day, on time, with your bags at the destination. The reason I did this thread was for a little humor. There seems to be this negative agenda thing going on Anet as of late.

Smile

foxiboy

Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:06 pm

Excuse me i dont like this meal could you go into the kitchen and do me sandwich or some cheese on toast nothing to hard for you to make! Yes i have had that one on a 55 min Ski charter.But i had to tell the passenger that our fresh bread delivery had not arrived so was unable to comply with the request,that resulted in a letter to HQ thanking me for my honesty, as on a previous flight she had made the same request on another airline to be told they dont have a kitchen,she thought that the F/A was lieing cos she didnt want to do it.

Bless them all lol.

Type-Rated

Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:06 pm

Very nice post! It gave me a good chuckle.

Here are a few more...

Don't hand me that 2 year old kid that's about to spew and say "Here, do something with this!"

Don't save your trash until the meal is served and expect me to take it then, we have to make sure that trash and food items remain separated.
(Not just diapers!)

If you are having a disagreement with your signifigant other, don't try to get me involved, I am not a referee.

And remember.... it's much easier to get honey if you don't go around kicking the hive! (Be Nice!)

Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

AlekToronto

Sun Oct 10, 2004 5:22 am

Anyone who works as an F/A in the US these days must have the patience of a saint in my opinion. To deal with so many people day in and day out, and the vast majority travelling today have no manners or concept of proper behaviour I am just surprised that more of them don't just snap.

Personally I worked for AC back in the 90's for 2 summers and I never had anyone hand me a used diaper but I saw lots of rude manners and bad behaviour.
People don't appreciate that even though the inflight functions of an F/A looks easy (I mean it is not rocket science after all) it above all requires the ability to:
a. wake up in the morning at 3am.
b. be at the airport at 5-6 am.
c. be on your feet all day.
d. be in full uniform all day regardless of weather.
e. personally serve hundreds of passengers a day (most of which are not polite or even civilized).
f. travel over 10 time zones constantly (killer jet lag) not just once a month.
g. be ready to work on short notice....the telephone is to be feared!

and meanwhile smile all the time while doing all this!

I enjoyed the 2 summers I worked for AC but there is no way I could do it for a living. If someone handed me a diaper..the next day I would quit!
Of course on the other side there were a lot of senior pissed of F/A's that I worked with and they were just as rude as the pax...no excuse for that either...any job is a choice..in my opinion if you cannot function properly in your job even in light of nast pax you should quit.

Everyone should just try to be nice to each other and considerate..what a novel concept?!?

cheers to all!
Alek

JAFA

Sun Oct 10, 2004 5:37 am

If I could add to that list Flyguyclt.

Your coach tray components are not lego blocks, please do not stack them up to create one big giant tray before givng them back to the flight attendant. Just eat the food if you dare and leave the dishes alone. The trays need to go back into the cart just like how they came out.

The aft galley is not a pilates studio its the flight attendants work area. Stretch at your seat outside the lav or anywhere else.

ETStar

Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:07 am

Flyguyclt, this is exactly why FA's are given a bad name in the US. FA's generally make a flight more pleasant for any passenger, but your defensive stance as indicated by your post is what gives US based FA's negative points. Yes, you deal with many passengers and are faced by more situations than those you pointed above, but you chose to take that job and to remain an FA. If you don't like it, step aside, as there are thousands that would do anything to be in your shoes during these times of high unemployment. Passengers do not pay for a flight with the airline you work for to bear with your mood swings and your attitude.

unitedkatw

Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:36 am

3. You paid for the seat you are sitting in. Grabbing my "seat" will not get you any brownie points or an extra bag of nutts. (Don't grab those either)

What is that supposted to mean? Thanks.

cessnalady

Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:39 am

I think it IS your responsibility to make the parents of "Princess" know their monster's seat belt should be fastened. Also, I think it is your responsibility to use your authority to tell the parents of the kicking monster in the seat behind to keep quiet. An obvious reason is the "offended parent-of-the-monster" won't fight you back, whereas there may be a friction with the disgruntled passenger of the front seat if the reclamation comes straight from him.

Overall... What a disagreeable attitude! The flight hasn't even started and the f/a is already predisposed against the pax! I'm glad I'm lucky enough not to fly on US-based carriers ever! European, South American, Asian and -of course, Mexican- carriers are the ones who get my business. Even going into the USA.

Marie

FlyGuyClt
Topic Author

Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:42 am

WWWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

This post was done as a light hearted joke! You need to stand back and learn to have a little humor. I did this post strictly because of the attacks on flight attendants as of late. You have no idea what type of flight attendant I am. For the record. I have been flying for 18 years. In the last 5 years, I have won a Service Champion Award twice, that is only givin to 25 flight attendants out of a base of 3,600. The award is givin based strictly on Customer Comments. The award has only been in effect for the last 5 years. So 2 out of 5 years does NOT make me a bad flight attendant.

You are a prime reason as to why so many people have xcld their membership to this site. Consistant attacks get old. Thanks for trying to get me tho. It did not work however, my passengers and the company I fly for are quite happy with me. The letters and awards are proof!!

Safe Flying  Smile

This site to me is like galley talk. The customers in the above situations have no idea what I am thinking. Again this was suppose to be humorous. And from the looks of things. Most people got it. YOU two did not. OH WELL !

[Edited 2004-10-10 00:56:02]

N1120A

Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:44 am

Flyguy, that was a great post. You would fit in really well at WN, and I would have loved to have you as the Mid-cabin F/A on my LAX-MEM flight with NW, as that was one of the worst F/As in years. With so many F/As in the world, it is great that most of them are cool people. I have only had 4 F/As (and yes, I remember them all) in my life who have really pissed me off (and one of them was just a patronizing moron when I was 3-4 years old), and that is a much lower percentage than that of people in everyday life who do. Hopefully some day I will get on one of your flights
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

FlyGuyClt
Topic Author

Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:49 am

Reply#11.

Many Thanks. I have no idea where the attacks came from. They hit me off guard. I did this, again, strictly for fun.

Safe Flying  Smile

Reply #8:

People tend grab flight attendants rear ends or poke at them or even pinch them to get their attention. If you happen to turn with a drink at the wrong moment I have been grabbed in the front end.

[Edited 2004-10-10 00:51:49]

luv2fly

Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:53 am

WOW I can not believe how many people are missing the humor in this post! Flyguyclt I can not wait to be a passenger on one of your flights.....
You can cut the irony with a knife

N1120A

Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:02 am

I am making the assumption that you don't commute and that you work for US flyguy, so I don't know if I will get to fly with you, as I usually fly WN, UA or CO (that is a new thing). Have you ever had a semi-celeb named Rebecca Grant on your flights? She is a friend of mine and Chairman's for DM

FlyGuyClt
Topic Author

Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:04 am

This post was done in regards to the thread about "MEAN" flight attendants. It really was done as a light hearted poke at the customers. The mentioned above are reasons some of my collegues and myself get moody sometimes. But it is not and will never be my mission to make people feel unwelcomed on any of my flights. You will always find me at the boarding door saying hello and making eye contact with everyone as they enter the aircraft. Two weeks ago comming back from Paris I ran into a group I had taken to Amsterdam 14 days before. They all called me by name and proceeded to tell me how wonderfull their trip was. They also said how glad they were that I was with them again. Or the family comming home from Russia with two orphans they just adopted, we took a family photo for them in the flight deck after landing and gave them "First" flight certificates. So try as you may. I am not a horrible flight attendant.

Safe Flying  Smile

Thanks to those who see the humor. The world and this web site could certainly use some now and then. Humans are humans, no matter what you do or where you call home.

luv2fly

Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:05 am

N1120A Flyguyclt proudly flies for the Red tails, i.e. Northwest Airlines.
You can cut the irony with a knife

FlyGuyClt
Topic Author

Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:06 am

N1120A

You will usually see me from DTW to CDG,LGW,AMS and AMS to BOM.

Safe Flying  Smile

Come fly with me anytime. I'll even give you the can of soda !

N1120A

Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:09 am

Wow, totally off. Perhaps then I can have Flyguy take care of that a-hole F/A I had on my LAX-MEM flight. All the other F/As, particularly the cutie on the Pinnicle CRJ BTR-MEM, were very nice and professional. Sounds like his tail has gotten a bit red from annoying PAX. This thread is hilarious.

N801NW

Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:50 am

Good news Flyguy: With your routes you'll never have to deal with me at the back of the (air)bus on my domestic itineraries.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy Two weeks ago I did see the 333 up close at DTW, having just returned from AMS. (The plane, not me sadly.)

BTW: I'll take the whole can of Sierra Mist, and TWO bags of spinzels goddamit. I'm not Kate MOSS, ya know.  Acting devilish

FlyGuyClt
Topic Author

Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:53 am

N801NW:

You got it. And if there are any of those new snacks from FC, maybe a bag of those too.

But you never know where I'll show up. This month a little EWR RNO ect.

Safe Flying  Smile

Full glass of ice too?

N801NW

Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:02 am

I LOVE those circular peices (of ice) that shatter your teeth before they even think of breaking. One popped out as neither of us would give in. It melted on N8945B.

BTW: Can you get the Reg# on NW1500 for 9/25. Tis the only one I'm missing.

chgoflyer

Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:08 am

As funny as this post is... if only you could see it from the passengers view. On a recent ORD to MSP for a cool 850.00 r/t coach fare. I was greeted by the AFL-CIO who were in the terminal on behalf of NWA flight attendants. Once I made my way thru their meeting I boarded a DC-9 that was built before I was born. When "sky king" up front got it airbourne I was told buy a pre historic flight attendant that she could not break a 20 for my cocktail. There is humor seen from both sides about the US flying experience but its important to take into account one side pays and the other side gets paid.
Will someone please wake me up in 4 years

StarCruiser

Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:10 am

Flyguyclt,

I appreciate the humor. I am quite surprised some F/As haven't hauled off and slugged some rude pax, to be honest. I admire your restraint. As anyone who has served the public in any capacity can tell you (and I have), some people are impossible to please. About three weeks ago I traveled IND-DFW-SFO and return on AA. Every single one of the F/As was friendly and I enjoyed the brief conversations with all of them, but particularly the one serving my area. She actually seemed to be enjoying herself.

I have been flying for at least 50 years now on thousands of flights, and have had only one bad experience with a F/A. That's a pretty good precentage. On the other hand I have had a lot of bad experiences with other pax who think a cheap ticket gives them the right to order everyone else around. When did it become acceptable for people to be so rude?

I hope to catch one of your flights someday. In the meantime, keep up the good work!

FlyGuyClt
Topic Author

Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:15 am

And No One is arguing that point what so ever. If you have read all replies, you'll see my point on that. If you haven't noticed no one is at work, representing an airline, I am off duty, and just trying to have some fun. You are most welcome to join in. It is a two way street. When I am at work, I do the best I can day in and day out. My file and my awards prove that point. But I was just AGAIN adding some humor from a worker point of view. You must admit with any honesty, that cyber attacking on this site is getting all too frequent. Sometimes we all need to sit back and laugh at ourselves. PERIOD.

Safe Flying  Smile

I can't answer for all the flight attendants in the world. I am one person and that is the only one I take resposibility for. So sorry about the $20. It would not have happend with me and most that I know .

Well when did you fly NWA? NWA flight attendants have not been part of the AFL-CIO is well over a year now.

[Edited 2004-10-10 02:18:27]

lowrider

Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:42 am

We have seen if from the pax's point of view. The pax point of view, however, is often hopelessly and unrealistically skewed. Let me take your post point by point.

1. On a recent ORD to MSP for a cool 850.00 r/t coach fare
The flight crew has nothing to do with ticket prices. We don't know
how much your ticket cost, nor do we care. Nor should we care. You
paid the agreed upon price, and you got on the airplane.

2. I was greeted by the AFL-CIO who were in the terminal on behalf of NWA flight attendants
If you don't like the fact that the AFL-CIO was at the airport, call the
airport management, the airline management, or the union management.
All of the above are in a position to do something about the union rep's
presence, your flight crew is not.

3. Once I made my way thru their meeting I boarded a DC-9 that was built before I was born

Did the plane get you from point A to B safely? What else do you want? The aircraft on a particular route is a choice the company makes weeks or months in advance. This information is usually available when purchasing the ticket. If you don't like DC-9s, check before purchasing. The flight crew has nothing to do with the chosing where the aircraft go. The schedule says to go to Ohare at 9 am, we say, "ok". If you want total control over which aircraft you are on, go charter or buy one.

4. When "sky king" up front got it airbourne

Don't like pilots? Stay away from airports. They tend to gather there. Airlines seem to like it that way. Don't like the way they do things up front? Tough. The pilots first responsibility is to be safe, then legal. You enter into the picture only to the extent that you do not end up dead.

5. I was told buy a pre historic flight attendant that she could not break a 20 for my cocktail.

Guess what most flight attendants seem to be older these days. The younger ones are furloughed. It is not our responsibility to provide young flight attendants for your viewing pleasure. If that is the type of service you seek, go to a strip club. As for not breaking a 20, that happens in all sorts of businesses. It happened to me at Subway recently. You find a way to get around it, or you do without. It is not a life or death situation.

6. There is humor seen from both sides about the US flying experience but its important to take into account one side pays and the other side gets paid.

This is not exactly an earth shattering revelation. How is any other business different. Flight attendents are being told (not asked) to do more with less. Most of the ones I work with do a great job. You get the occasional bad one, but they usually don't last long. US flying is driven by the lowest cost these days. There are the rare execeptions, but the majority of the business is about the cheapest seat from A to B. It is not how the crews envisioned it, years ago, either, but here we are. I honestly think that most reasonable expectations are met most of the time, and when they are not, there is usually compensation. I refuse to allow any crew member to take heat for things that are outside their control or responsibility. What I hear from pax most these days is ME ME MEME ME and I I I I I. Guess what, you are one of many among whom attention and care must be divided. As equally as possible and circumstances allow.

[Edited 2004-10-10 03:14:29]
Proud OOTSK member

767er

Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:50 am

I have flown across the Tasman to New Zealand countless of times and never ever struck a rude FA well,maybe perhaps twice - a couple of grumpy senior male FAs who looked like they wanted to be anywhere rather than serving passsengers. Pretty much the same experience on US carriers.

ideas......... don't press the call button in Y class before take off to order a double scotch and coke and grizzle cos the FA says no.

If you don't like/hate the food............have a laugh and joke with the FA as they will usually agree with you. Remember, they didn't cook/prepare it.

Don't blame the FA if you get the crappiest seat on the plane...........its not their fault they you were the last one to check in.

As for paying for drinks.........I might want to suggest to passengers if they intend drinking why not stock on my $5 bills and save the hassle of the FA looking around for change!
Aircraft flown:F27,Viscount. EMB120, SAAB340, ATR70, 737-200.737-300,DC8, DC10,747-100,747-200,747-300,747-400, A320, A3

BR715-A1-30

Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:12 am

Some of the things I've heard from some F/As who work FL's 717s that piss them off.

1.) Swinging on the Backlit Handrails like they are "M*****F****** Tarzan."

2.) Sitting their "80 pound babies" on the tray tables and breaking them off.

3.) Pissing on the seat cushions. (This automatically warrants arrest for some people unless proof of disability is furnished)

4.) Not flushing the lavatories after they finish their business.

5.) Assuming they can get up anytime they want and fix their own coffee.

6.) Reaching into the galley cart during service and grabbing stuff.

7.) Demanding

8.) Attempting to climb into the overhead bins.

Puhdiddle

BR715-A1-30

Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:17 am

N1120A, That "cutie" you mentioned wouldnt happen to be tiffany now would it???
Puhdiddle

COEWR2587

Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:23 am

Nice list flyguyclt. I found it to be humerous.
Newark Airport...My Home Away From Home

FlyMeToTheMoon

Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:33 am

How about we give a standing ovation to flight attendants? When flying if you start from the premise that they are there mainly for safety and secondary to clean-up the mess people leave behind, or during the flight, then you get a different view of these men and women. Over the years I observed that the people that travel the least complain the loudest over not getting one whole can of Coke or an extra bag or pretzels. The more I fly the more I realize that flight attendands actually have difficult jobs. Somehow passengers think that if they bought a ticket they bought the entire airplane, the crew and everyone also and they can do whatever they want and simply abuse flight attendands and flight crew. Flight attendands, ticket counter staff and the most humble lav service guy are doing their jobs for better or worse and are HUMAN like the rest of us and should be treated the same way. A smile, a compliment, a please and a thank you will take you a long way. I had flight attendands pack breakfast with silverware and linen napkins for me to let me sleep through breakfast service on the way to Europe. And I had flight attendants play with my young son (he was 18 months old) while I went to the bathroom. And each of those people earned not only a thank you but most of the time a letter to their CEO. So I tip my hat to the women and men that run around on their feet for 8 - 10 hours a day to "serve Coke" but in fact make sure we all get there safely.
Fly me to the moon... but not through LHR!

fspilot747

Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:43 am

My question is...who pays 850.00 to go from ORD to MSP..coach?? Someone needs to learn how to book a ticket  Smile

NceBoy

Sun Oct 10, 2004 2:35 pm

- Lowrider

Your point of view is simply the one who makes some flight attendant look so unfriendly. No, you are not only here to ensure that we are safe, you are also here to ensure that the service is efficient and friendly. Riding coach, one knows what to expect.

But I’ve been trough wonderful services in coach, especially when the FA’s weren’t looking so pretentious with the “I flew you on time – you didn’t crash-why are you unhappy” kind of speech. I remember walking out of a Northwest flight, AMS-SEA, and telling myself, well a least, we did arrive at destination (which was, of course, not the case of my luggage, but that’s another topic!). I asked the FA for a glass of water, and I was told to wait for 20 minutes or the beverage service!

And last summer, I did have the contrary experience with LX, as a simple example, I asked for the same glass of water, and the FA came back to my seat, with my drink, two nice chocolates and, guess what, a smile!

Whatever Job I’ve been in, I’ve ever done it with pleasure and showing to people that I was proud and happy of my job. As a FA, you should be caring about all facts in your company, from checking problems to whatever unpleasant thing a passenger experience and try do deal with it. It’s none of your responsibility ? Tell the passenger with a smile that you’ll personally inform the company of his/her experience… it will work with 99% of pax. If he tells you that he paid 800 $ for a domestic flight, well, you should be yet more motivated to make his, and everybody flight great. Won’t you be upset of paying for a great restaurant and getting a BigMac ? Of course, if you walk away with a “None of my business”, well the remaining 9 hours may look long.

About the FA doing great with so less, I’ve to told that among my best FA experience were those of Air Transat, whose were defiantly great, despite of the rude coach/charter pax, dealing perfectly with problems of cash, breaking the 20’s as she told me later that she taught about getting some change before leaving…

Not only you have problems, think that maybe some people aren’t flying for fun, but are flying home or some case of emergency, or whatever. What makes flying so special is that it’s like nothing else on earth. And FA’s are a part of it, 90 % of them makes it an experience you can’t live down there. Waking up after a nice sleep, with a great FA that just notice your wake-up and offer you a coffee (and it happened to me in coach), while discovering that the sun is rising again and that you almost finished crossing the Atlantic, well it’s kind of priceless.
coz I'm leaving on a jetplane !

baw716

Sun Oct 10, 2004 4:40 pm

FltguyClt,
There has been a lot of F/A bashing lately. I've tried to explain to a few who had some negative attitudes...let's just say we can't please everybody. However, it my experience that most F/As really do try to give their best, even in the worst of circumstances.

What you say in jest is really true. If we, as passengers, give a smile, say thanks, it really does make flying a much more pleasant experience for everybody.

To those who say that you should not have to be nice to get good service (and there have been some who have flamed me for saying what I have been saying), that you are the passengers and that you have paid for the service, I say this: You are right...to a point. You have paid for your ticket and you do deserve a certain respect as a customer. That said, what you have paid for is transportation. How that transportation is delivered is the service. However, your contract with the airline is for transportation from point a to b.

Flight attendants are on board for safety...and not just in an emergency. The service the airline designs on board (based on length of flight) is designed for safety as well as your comfort. To get that balance right is a skill that is very demanding...and I am grateful they are there for both.

There have been some excellent posts on this thread...and some not so nice ones. To those that were not nice, I say only this: How do you feel when someone treats you badly? You get hurt and angry. When you treat people the same way, how are they going to feel? Hurt and angry (gee, what a shock). What goes around comes around, and depending how you send it, how it comes back can be really nice, or bite you in the a.s. Its kinda up to you...  Smile

Thanks to all you f/a's out there. There are some of us out here (actually quite a lot of us) who really do understand and appreciate what you do!!!
David L. Lamb, fmr Area Mgr Alitalia SFO 1998-2002, fmr Regional Analyst SFO-UAL 1992-1998

N1120A

Sun Oct 10, 2004 5:07 pm

I don't remember her name. She was the F/A on the 6:30 AM flight on Pinnicle/NW Airlink from BTR-MEM on 9/14. She is from MEM and has a strong southern accent, very cute. We flirted a bit, but I had been up all night packing and driving to BTR that I slept most of the flight (and all of the flight from climb to decent MEM-LAX)

I cannot believe there are people who think they own a flight attendant the second they buy a ticket. I have no idea why a F ticket ORD-MSP would cost 850, let alone a Y one, but still, the F/A should not be rude and should do their job well, but you have no right to take complete control over their life. On a DC-9, they have 99 other people to think about who all paid for that flight and you have to think of them too. Sure, they should have been more prepared with change, but that was probably the fault of flight planning, not the F/A. Also, insulting them because of age is not fair. She has a lot of experience and is probably a very qualified F/A. Sure, there have been F/As I have been attracted to, I have even seen the inside of a crew room at the LAX Sheraton with a beautiful woman from an airline, but I want someone who will treat me right. One of the 4 F/As (of at least 500 I have flown with) I had a bad experiance with was a beautiful woman who was nice enough to me but made absolutely racist comments about europeans, middle easterners and africans. I would have rather had a shrivled up old bird names shirley who loved everyone and did her job right than that. Would enjoy that experiance, and I would certainly not want a subserviant 18 year old girl on SQ who I know had been hired with looks being a qualification.

More than 3 cheers for F/As like flyguyclt, Piedmontgirl, Melissa from WN, The girl on LH who was from California that made a 6 year-old's flight great and all the many others that make flying great, even with those horrible pretzel things NW has  Big thumbs up.

FlyGuyClt
Topic Author

Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:29 pm

Thanks for your compliments folks, with Anet as in "real" time life, there are people you wish to forget rather quickly. The proof, are some of the replies on here. It is a shame that sometimes we can't all look at ourselves and just laugh for a second. Maybe just maybe we can all relax sometime and come to a common ground. I love my job and will continue to do it as long as I am able. During my ride through life tho, there are many things that I find to be funny. When you are with people for a living. The enviornment you are in will provide you alot of comic relief. The difference of a true professional in customer service, is that you will always think they like you as a customer and that the service employee is the best you have ever seen. But when on your own time, it is good now and then to vent alittle and tell the real story. 99% of the flying public are mostly a delight to be with. But that other clueless 1%, well, they sure do give you alot to laugh about. No need to get angry, we have enough of that in the world. For those who think I am not good at what I do or think I should become a submissive "yes" boy. Well, it aint going to happen. While flight attendants are there to make your day the best they are able to in a enclosed enviornment, there are certain things that are non-waivering. In 18 years I have seen most of it. Sometimes more than I care too. But I do love what I do and I do it well.

Somethings that have happend are.

Finding an elderly lady confused and scared to death in the airport. I took her to her gate and put her on the right airplane.

Taking the time to calm a nervous flyier who was on the airplane for the first time. Moving her right next to my jumpseat for take off.

Seeing someone get on the airplane in tears, comming back to them later with a handfull of tissue and saying, "Bad day?" answer "yes," "Need a drink?" she said "yes." I brought it too her in coach. Her father had just died. She proceeded to tell me how wonderfull he was.

Seeing a family bringing home adopted orphans from abroad, placing them in the flight deck on arrival (at the gate) for their first family photo in America.

Running into old friends from High School as well as respected former teachers, some on military charters comming or going from the first Gulf War.

Having passengers on board numerous times over the years, they call you by name as they get on with a big smile and sincerly appricate all you do for them.

By the same token:

-I have been peed on.
-Slugged.
-Yelled at with language not fit for an alley rat. (News Flash, Airline Employees cannot I repeat, cannot control the weather.)
-Had a cell phone thrown at me because I asked the person to turn it off as we left the gate.
-Broken up fights between passengers who get too damn drunk and then make a political fight personal.
-Told, if you cut me off, (liquor) I am writting a letter. (By the way trying to intimidate a crew member is a felony.)
-Seeing numerous people, (some who probibly complain on here) walk by with out any anknowledgement when a flight attendant greats them warmly at the boarding door.
-Wathching people having sex in the seat on an all night flight. (At least cover up with a blanket) And keep the crew out of it . Better yet, GET A ROOM.
-Having a Pepsi thrown at you by a 12 year old because you don't have Coke.

So this thread was just to provide some comic relief, nothing more nothing less. For those who think otherwise. Get yourself a life. Realize this about Anet. NO ONE is at work, we are most likely at home, off duty, in street clothes, and this one outa make you shudder, and equal in the human race. You cannot dominate us here, you won't, stop trying. If we want to share a little about how you act deal with it. After all, look around, you sure talk about us. It is called Equal Time. I thank you for yours.

Safe Flying  Smile Somtimes cival other times not.

[Edited 2004-10-10 15:31:45]

SXMbyKLM747

Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:36 pm

Flyguyclt...you seem to be the perfect FA! Hope to be flying once on one of ur flights...

I have noticed that actually not many FA's have humour, or use it during their work...but i can understand, it seems to be a very stressy job, and i always notice that people seem to behave differently when they are in a plane than anywhere else...perhaps has to do with nerves (inconsciously???)

/robbert

btw...LMAO on those lists...
MST/EHBK

Starlionblue

Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:03 pm

I fly a lot (2-3 flights a week), and have seen all kinds of behavior from F/As and pax. All in all the F/As behave much better on average than the pax. MUCH better.

While some may (even rightly) complain about rude or unattentive F/As (and there are many), politeness is something which we should all practice, all the time. If the F/A is rude, be very polite back and smile. At least I feel better when I do that. If she still wants to be rude, why should it ruin my mood?

Having said that, most F/As are very nice. I always say hello with a smile when I board. I always ask politely for anything. Finally, at the end of the flight, I will thank them and say goodbye. I often sit in the rear on transatlantics. A perfect opportunity to stick my head into the galley and say "Thanks for taking care of us. Great job!" before I leave. If I have had a particularly attentive F/A, I will shake her hand as I leave.

This may all seem like sucking up, but the nicer I am to them, the nicer they are to me. And if someone does a good job, it's nice to get some feedback.

Finally, if the F/A has been awful, don't complain to her. Write a letter to the airline. That's much more likely to get a reaction.

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

qexonial

Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:24 pm

Good day,

Great going, Flyguyclt. Although I'm not in the airline industry, I'm working part-time in a service industry. I know that working in a restaurant as a waiter is different from a F/A (I wonder how you guys serve during severe turbulence!!!!!), but I guess when interacting with customers, it's the same.

Anyway, I understand the life of a F/A (as both my parents were in SQ). It's not easy being a F/A especially in a flight where 8-12 F/As serve 300+ pax. Everytime I order something, although it took them 10-20 minutes, they serve my drinks with an apology. A good thing to do, anyways.

I always try to chat with the F/A's (although I'm totally shy) on my flights whenever they are free (like after meals). Most of them would actually chat. I have this thinking that international flights to busy airports have some rude F/A's. Whenever I fly ADL-SIN on SQ, the F/A's, mostly are friendly. But on the SYD-SIN flight (in July), it's the opposite. The F/A's are unfriendly.

Anyways, Flyguyclt, I'm glad that you are trying your hardest to please others (although some don't appreciate it). As well, trying to show what a real F/A should be. Keep it up, and just forget about the negative replies or post on A.net. Those people just can't go outside their little heads to think in other people's shoes.

Cheers!

Kind regards,
Ben Alexandre
ps. Lowrider, great reply to Chgoflyer!!!!!

NYCAAer

Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:49 pm

I've noticed a definite change in people's behavior in my 16 years of flying. It has turned into a flying Greyhound bus. Some of the stories posted about what the Air Tran F/As put up with sound awful, and worse than a lot things I've seen, such as urinating on the seat cushions and climbing into overhead bins, although nothing surprises me anymore.

I've had passengers who let their chidren play with the knobs and controls over the F/A jumpseats and when I tell them not to do it, the parents tell me that I have a bad attitude. I suppose it's alright to have the cabin lights go on and off during the flight if their 2-year-old thinks it's fun. Sometimes there's just no respect anymore.

I had another man scream at me because I didn't have time to cut up a whole melon he had brought on board with him. Their expectations of what I can do can be ridiculous.

I was punched by a passenger on the jetbridge in Santo Domingo, by the manager of a popular Latin singer. (Well, he USED to be popular.)

I've watched other F/As get assaulted, too.

It can make you become jaded very quickly.

And then sometimes you go out of your way to do something nice for a passenger, and they don't even give you a thank you. On a flight from LHR to JFK, a passenger asked me if we had potato chips instead of pretzels during the beverage service. We don't, but it just so happened I had an unopened bag of potato chips in my bag, and I offered them to him. He said yes, and when I brought the bag, he just grabbed it from my hand and said absolutely nothing!

FlyGuyClt
Topic Author

Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:59 pm

Being a flight attendant sometimes is like working for an alcoholic partent. No matter what you do, how well you do it, it is always your fault and never right.

Safe Flying  Smile

Bag of chips and all !

kanebear

Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:05 am

You know something? I've flown 90k miles this year already; some in F, some in J and a bit in Y. I've YET to have a bad FA experience. The worst I've had was an indifferent FA on AA flying from LHR to ORD... a smile and a bit of banter and being human with her (asking her what SHE would choose for the meal service) broke the ice and the rest of the flight she was smiling and much more personable with EVERYONE.

What I've found is that the people who complain the most about FAs are demanding, rude and "entitled" themselves. YES rude FAs do exist. Yes lazy ones do exist but they are HUMAN and do a job that's a cast iron bitch. I don't know about you but if someone's horribly rude to me I shrug it off with the best of them but will NOT be all smiles and grins thereafter. No one exists in a vacuum. So when you're in row 22 and the FA is a bit curt it may just be because the pax in 12B told the FA they were a "f*cking incompetent" because catering hadn't loaded their "special meal". No fault of yours, but then again, no fault of the FAs either and last I checked, taking abuse isn't in the job description.

FlyGuyClt
Topic Author

Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:07 am

Kanebear ! ! !

BINGO ! And Thank You !

Safe Flying  Smile

BR715-A1-30

Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:33 am

I don't remember her name. She was the F/A on the 6:30 AM flight on Pinnicle/NW Airlink from BTR-MEM on 9/14. She is from MEM and has a strong southern accent, very cute. We flirted a bit, but I had been up all night packing and driving to BTR that I slept most of the flight (and all of the flight from climb to decent MEM-LAX)

Yep, Sounds like Tiffany. She was working a GPT-MEM flight when we had Pinnacle for a short period of time. You ain't the first person who thought she was cute. LOL  Big grin
Puhdiddle

iairallie

Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:57 am

How about this one...
passenger :What do you have?

me thinking: 50 passengers and less than 30 minutes to serve them all

me talking: coke, diet coke, gingerale, sprite, orange juice, apple juice, cranberry juice, bottled water, coffee, hot tea and honest iced tea.

passenger: do you have tomato juice?

me: No I'm sorry your choices are coke....

passenger: Can I have a tonic water?

me: I appologise we don't carry tonic water we do however have coke...

passenger: never mind I don't want anything

time passes, only 5 minutes left inflight I am doing my compliance check, I hear the gear come down and then I reach Mr. Whatdoyouhave...

Passenger: I changed my mind can I get a coffee?

me: I am sorry sir we are landing now the galley has been put away. I'd be happy to get you something on your way out the door.

passenger: SIGH!!!

deplaning...

Passenger: Hey, you said you'd give me a drink!

me: sure what can I get you?

Passenger: What do you have?

me thinking: uhm the same choices I offered in the air?!

me talking: soda, juice, or water

passenger: gimme a water

me: Here you go sir, enjoy the rest of your day!

passenger: grunt!

Enough about flying lets talk about me!

AA767400

Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:17 am

Here are a couple of great high expectations from passengers:

Can you turn off that engine noise, I am trying to sleep!

Chicken, or Beef? Don't you have any pasta?

Why did you mess up my movie? You were standing next to the video system, you must have done something!

His bag is in my overhead bin, tell him to take it out!

Why are we getting in so early! I have people meeting me there!

Can I have your nailclippers, so I can cut my nails.

Can I use my cellphone up here? Sure, it will work at 40,000ft.  Smile
"The low fares airline."

RogerThat

Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:47 am

Rudest thing I have ever seen a pax do to a F/A:

I'm in the aisle seat, rude boy in the middle. F/A walks past picking up trash. Rude boy takes his Bistro bag and hits the F/A in the butt to get her attention.
She turns around and gives me a look that could kill. Can't blame her, she doesn't have eyes in the back of her head...I mean butt. Then sees it's middle seat boy. Long story short, he won't do that again.

Turns out, the kid was part of a gospel singing group. Nice guy, just didn't see anything wrong with hitting somone in the ass to get their attention.

It works though. Try it next time your flying. But not on FlyGuyCLT's flight.

NceBoy

Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:46 am

Flyguyclt

Being a flight attendant sometimes is like working for an alcoholic partent. No matter what you do, how well you do it, it is always your fault and never right.

On every single job you can get, you face rude people. I mean, when you are a teacher, you face parents that came over you to tell you how much you were wrong to punish their child. That’s stupid that a lost of respect, but, we all have to face it. When you work at the post office or anywhere else indeed, you face people angriness all day.

Unfortunately, FA’s like teachers and every people facing public must be able to deal with that and keep serving the 12th person with a great smile, even if he faced 11 angry people just before.

Flyguyclt, you’re probably an excellent FA, and I got the humoristic tone of your posts. But people in here are coming and say “Yeah FA’s are rude and it’s ok coz we face so many angry people”. And that’s not, IMHO, the way they should deal with it! Come on, at least in coach, make fun of it!
coz I'm leaving on a jetplane !

iairallie

Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:02 am

How about this one pulling on the sleeve of my dress so hard they ripped it off to get my attention while I was talking to another passenger. Hello, If I am close enough to grab I am close enough to hear you say excuse me please.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

STARCREW

Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:02 pm

Flyguyclt,

As crew for 15 years i totally understand where your coming from and it made me laugh  Smile

I would add:-

When i ask you what you would like to drink please don't ask " what do you have?" answer no time to tell you on the 35 min LHR-MAN.
I don't care that your baby " is crawling now" an aircraft floor is not the safest, cleanest area to do it.
I don't care if you know the chairman personally.
We don't have a microwave.
Clicking of fingers will ensure complete invisibility of the passenger.
I don't know the hand baggage policy of other airlines.
I wasn't at check in so No i don't know if your bag was smaller than the other womans.
Manners cost nothing.
Its not what you paid on the ticket that guarantees good service its how you behave.
We don't just make up safety rules just to annoy you - but to keep you safe.
You will not starve to death on a 2 hr flight because there is no lacto veg onboard for you.
If you wanted to sit together with your party of 6 you really shouldn't have checked in 10 mins before departure at the gate.
Yes its a WOMAN CAPTAIN!!!!
You can always downgrade to sit with your wife.

just for fun  Smile

there is only ONEWORLD

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos