Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dtwclipper
Topic Author

Fire At Kyip

Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:13 am

Local news is reporting that the Yankee Air Museum is totally engulfed in fire!
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

planespotterx

RE: Fire At Kyip

Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:21 am

Thats a awful shame..I hate hearing about fires in aviation museums and resoration places, so much hard work and effort only for it to be destroyed, i hope the damage is minimal.

heres the website for the museum info

"http://www.yankeeairmuseum.org/Museum.html"

[Edited 2004-10-10 01:25:07]
Its not the fall that kills u, its the sudden stop at the end..

dtwclipper
Topic Author

Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:23 am

I'm in Northville, and I can see the smoke from here, (20 miles)it must be a huge blaze.

KYIPpilot

Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:09 am

Yeah, I was working in Canton, a few miles north, at the time and saw the black smoke. From what I have heard it is completely gone. Don't know if they got the B-17, C-47, or B-25 out. The hangar is over 60 years old and completely made of wood, including the ceiling frame. I can't beleive it; I am a YAF member. Don't know what they are going to do.
"It starts when you're always afraid; You step out of line, the man come and take you away" -Buffalo Springfield

dtwclipper
Topic Author

Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:08 am

Here is the link to the fire.

VAN BUREN TOWNSHIP -- A massive fire Saturday evening destroyed a hangar containing vintage aircraft at an airport built by Henry Ford to produce World War II bombers on assembly lines like those used at his automotive plants.

No injuries were reported at the Yankee Air Museum at Willow Run Airport, said Devin Parks, a dispatcher with the Van Buren Township Fire Department in western Wayne County.

The fire at the hangar used by the museum was reported at 6:28 p.m. and was burning out of control more than an hour later, Parks said. Firefighters from a half-dozen local departments were assisting the airport fire department in trying to control the blaze.

A number of Yankee Air Museum-owned aircraft parked near the hangar were not damaged.

The cause of the fire was not known.

http://www.detnews.com/2004/metro/0410/09/metro-298585.htm

[Edited 2004-10-10 03:09:57]

N766UA

Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:10 am

So the airplanes are alright?

dtwclipper
Topic Author

Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:12 am

"Fire destroys vintage planes at Willow Run Airport"

I think there may have been some loses.

N766UA

Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:18 am

I read that some were parked outside and were undamaged. We'll see I guess.

dc8jet

Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:21 am

The YAF has quite a few static display aircraft near the hangar. Most likely those are the ones that they are talking about. The only flying aircraft scheduled to be out today was the B-17. I'm sure it had returned by the time the fire started. The question is had they put it away yet?

KYIPpilot

Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:28 am

Just heard on the radio that the B-17, B-25, and C-47 were saved, but nothing else in the hangar. I think there was a Stinson, C-45, and a Bronco in there that may have burned. The Hangar and museum are a total loss, still burning as we speak. Hundreds of artifacts and engines, and tool and parts are most likely destroyed.
"It starts when you're always afraid; You step out of line, the man come and take you away" -Buffalo Springfield

N766UA

Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:38 am

It's a real shame all that stuff had to be burned, but it's good that the bombers and C-47 were saved.

mikester540

Sun Oct 10, 2004 12:01 pm

So much passion and effort goes into Museums. They are the saddest to see go. At least no one was hurt, and that everything is not a complete loss!

Mike
We need men who can dream of things that never were. -John F. Kennedy

cptkrell

Sun Oct 10, 2004 12:26 pm

So much time and so much effort and love lost in a quickie. Wifey and I remember start-ups at YAF. Watched local news tonight and cried.

Retrospectively, glad we moved TBM to Monroe-Custer years ago.

Latest local news-feed indicates that B17, B25 and C47 were saved (and/or not envolved). A couple of bright lights shining on an otherwise significant historical loss.

Best wishes (always) to the YAF from a CAF Colonel. Kind Regards...Jack
all best; jack

KYIPpilot

Sun Oct 10, 2004 1:35 pm

I am just about in shock. I was just there was few weeks ago, and now its all gone. I can't even express the feelings I had as I saw it burning on the news tonight.

HlywdCatft

Sun Oct 10, 2004 1:37 pm

My mom called me from Michigan to tell me about it. It was really sad to hear and made me sick but I am glad the Yankee Lady and Yankee Warrior were saved.

I had several heart attacks lately about WWII planes getting damaged by disasters. I live in Florida and Kermit Weekes Fantasy of Flight took a big hit in Hurricane Charley and he lost a couple aircraft and Flying Tigers Museum in Kissimee lost a few aircraft in Frances.

I am sure several aircraft were damaged at the Pennsacola Naval museum in Ivan and I saw a P-51 flipped on its back after Jeanne.

L-188

Sun Oct 10, 2004 1:42 pm

Was this hanger ever retrofitted with sprinklers or anything???

OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

HlywdCatft

Sun Oct 10, 2004 1:47 pm

Probably not, but if any gas ignited which i am not sure since all operating aircraft were outside, sprinklers wouldn't do much good.

Does anyone know what the cause is yet?

dc8jet

Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:39 pm

The hangar has been cited for several fire and structual safety concerns. One of which was a lack of a sprinkler system. The YAF has been trying to raise money to get this done but had not raised the required amount. News reports said two of the aircraft were push out of the hangar by hand. If the fire had broken out on a week night or a couple hours later there would have been few
or no people around and the three aircraft would have been lost.

electraBob

Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:01 pm

I heard this morning that volunteers pushed the C-47 out of the hangar with their hands just in time....there were live photos this morning from helicopters and they showed the B-17, B-25 and C-47 sitting on the tarmac right in front of what used to be the Yankee Museum. Thank goodness they were able to save those 3 beautifully restored aircraft. Still, a tragic loss....the library, a very nice gift shop and many displays gone...too bad.

Hopefully, they will rebuild....I know they will.
Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a swimming pool.....

HlywdCatft

Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:23 pm

Please tell me that the Yankee Air Museum was insured

I remember my first time at the Yankee Air Force Museum when I went on a field trip in 8th Grade with my school there. After that I had made it a tradition every year to attend their free open house on Memorial Day there until I moved to Florida two years ago.

I was up in Michigan this past summer and I wanted to attend that Warbird show there but unfortunately I went up to the U.P. that weekend for something else.

I remember when they got the B-17. The Yankee Lady never saw service in WWII and if I am not mistaken it was built after WWII and used as a fire bomber.

Also when I was last at the Yankee Air Museum the Yankee Warrior the B-25 was taken out of commission for some heavy maintenance work. Fortunately they got the work done on it.

I am glad that there were people there because those three planes are usually put in the hanger at night and packed in tightly.

I hope they can find somewhere to keep those planes during the winter because Michigan winters will not have a good effect on old planes.

Its been a rough couple months for Warbird buffs between the fire and all of those planes damaged in the four Florida hurricanes

KarlB737

Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:59 pm

Sunday Morning Free Press Article:
Answers Many of your questions.

http://www.freep.com/news/latestnews/pm713_20041009.htm

KYIPpilot

Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:12 am

I remember when they got the B-17. The Yankee Lady never saw service in WWII and if I am not mistaken it was built after WWII and used as a fire bomber.

I believe it was either the 13th to last one built or built 13 days before the war ended, I can't remember which. But yes, it was used as a fire bomber, SAR, and other things as well.

PNEPilot

Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:27 am

Even if insured, many of the exhibits will not be replaceble at any price... a very sad day for aviation history.

HlywdCatft

Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:44 am

Thats a scary photo. I didnt realize the fire was that bad it looks like it got more than the hangar as big as that blaze looks. It looks like it is covering an area bigger I know that B-52 is located north northwest of the hangar. Did that affect YIP operations?

They said that aircraft outside the hangar were ok, but the last I recall that ex Zantop DC-6 was pretty close to the hangar. That have the nice airliner memorabilia in it. There was also that rare aircraft that was similar to the B-24 parked out there except it had a single tail.

Does anyone know where they moved the three flyable planes?

Yes it is very sad because there were a lot of great model planes, great Ford B-24 plant memorabilia, the Rosie the Riveter stuff, a really nice gift shop.

Also sadly they were restoring a C-45 (i think) that they pulled out of a ditch near the Kalitta hangar and were supposed to have it flying in a couple of years. I am almost sure that wasn't saved. I am trying to remember what else was in the hangars. I think there was an old helicopter and a couple of bi-planes and parts of other WWII planes and some engines on display.

Yes I know they lost a lot of priceless stuff, but insurance will keep the YAF alive and build them a new hangar so they can safely store their remaining aircraft so Michigan winters dont destroy them. Its sad to see such great memorabilia gone that quick, but I am sure when they build the new place (and thats a "when" instead of an "if") a lot of people will donate, it might take some time but the YAF will be back.

I know i sound like a broken record but these heartbreaks of great aviation memorabilia getting lost or destroyed has seemed to be a weekly occurance lately for me starting August 13 when several of the Kermit Weekes owned WWII era aircraft were damaged or destroyed along with that Vintage Airways DC-3 parked at Orlando Executive Airport by Hurricane Charley...

FL1TPA

Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:11 am

This is really weird. I flew from DTW yesterday (10-09-04) and as I boarded the WN flight to MDW, I saw a huge plume of black smoke rising to the west of Metro Airport. This was about 1830 eastern time. Once onboard, the gate agent came on the intercom to announce the fire was at Willow Run Airport and had nothing to do with DTW since several people saw the smoke and were asking questions. When we took off, the Captain kept due south until we could turn west and pass the smoke. As we flew past at about 9,000 ft. I could see the blaze very clearly. It was the brightest thing in my field of view. Very bright orange flames engulfing a quite confined rectangular building. I assumed it was a hangar, but I didn't know it was part of a museum and housed one-of-a-kind collectible aircraft...A terrible shame.

FL1TPA
"Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffin' glue."

N312RC

Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:01 am

I think just about every Detroiter who loves aviation has a story involving YAF. I have been there so many times I cant even count for some great airshows. Used to wander around in that hangar and just look at all the cool shit they had.

What a sad day!

cicadajet

Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:23 am

Does anyone know if the aircraft on static display outside survived?

I know there was an Argosy in Universal Airlines colors at one time.

Also: Read that there was a Catalina in the collection...I hope that was outside as well....

dc8jet

Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:32 am

As far as I know the static aircraft all survived. Don't know if they were damaged. Unless they just got it they don't have a Catalina.

HlywdCatft

Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:37 am

The Argosy was far enough away, at least 200 feet north of the hangar on the grass east of the B-52. There was a big concrete ramp area between where the B-52, Argosy a few Korean era static aircraft were parked. I don't recall YAF having a Catalina in their collection. One flies in for their annual warbird show though I believe.

My concern were the aircraft to the west of the hanger like the old Zantop (ex Alitalia) DC-6 and the rare single tail version of the B-24. Those aircraft were parked only a matter of a few feet from the hangar.

My biggest concern is the Yankee Lady, Yankee Warrior and the C-47, but according to many people they made it to safety. I guess its fortunate there were some workers there to save them because they are usually packed away in the hangar when everyone goes home.

KYIPpilot

Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:12 pm

Did that affect YIP operations?

Not really; YAF is on the very east side of YIP, and there was a strong west wind that blew the smoke away from the airport. I was listening to tower frequency and never heard them mention it, although I couldn't listen for very long. One of my friends was in the pattern at YIP when the fire broke out and saw the initial fire.

HlywdCatft

Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:54 pm

What runways were you using? 27L and 27R?

I thought in cases like crashes and major fires they shut down the airport temporarilly. Due to the fact that YIP lacks a lot of taxiways, you would think that there would be fire trucks on the ramps.

Since YIP sees regular flights from 747s with Kalitta, does YIP have an ARFF (Airport Rescue Fire Fighting) Index E?

Were all YIP emergency personel there along with Van Buren Twshp and whoever else? Canton? Belleville? Ypsilanti? Or wouldn't Ypsi not get involved since they are in Washtenaw County? Thats one thing I never understood since the airport sits on two counties.

dc8jet

Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:30 pm

They had some good luck as far as getting the aircraft out. The B-25 had just returned from an air show in Ohio and was being pushed into the hangar with by a tug when the fire broke out. The driver reversed direction and pulled the 25 out. Someone else jumped on another tug and hooked it to the 17 and got it out. Four people including a 52 year old woman pushed the C-47 out by hand. Had the B-25 not been returning from a show there may not have been anyone there.

The static aircraft were not damaged. The B-25 was scheduled for a flight to Northern Michigan on Sunday and did make the flight. The airport is lending the YAF some hangar space and a nearby aeronautics school will provide some office space.

The airport does have ARFF but I don't know what index it is. There were six fire departments there but I don't know which ones. I have seen Ypsilanti
Township fire engines there in the past.

dtwclipper
Topic Author

Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:32 pm

Here is the latest from the Free Press:

Beyond the tourniquet of yellow police tape, Mary Jane Medlock looked at the mound of rubble still smoldering a few dozen yards away. The smoke billowing from the pile was all that remained of the Yankee Air Museum in Van Buren Township.

Before the flames overran the building, Medlock, 52, and three other museum volunteers pushed an 18,000-pound C47 airplane out of the World War II-era hangar and from harm's way.

"I'm not a hero," said Medlock, a Saline resident, whose left arm had a spray of red bruises from the rescue. "I just wanted to get them out, to save what we could, so we didn't lose everything."

Six area fire departments responded to the blaze, which started around 6:30 p.m. on Saturday. The cause of the fire is under investigation.

The fire destroyed the 63-year-old Willow Run Airport hangar, which became a museum in 1981. Designed by Albert Kahn and run by the Ford Motor Co., Willow Run was the largest war plant in the world after it opened in 1941, producing 8,685 bombers during World War II.

Among the other volunteers at the scene was Ken Chio. At the time of the fire, the 63-year-old retired GM pilot was driving a tug attached to a vintage B25 D -- which had just been flown back from an air show in Napoleon, Ohio. He quickly reversed direction and maneuvered the plane out of the hangar.

"I was backing the B25 in and I heard, 'Fire!,' " recalled Chio, who had donated a number of items from his stint in the Air Force during the Korean War and his father-in-law's World War I flight manual to the museum. "I saw smoke roll down the window on the second floor and I immediately backed the airplane out."

Another quick-thinking volunteer used a second tug to yank a B17 to safety.

http://www.freep.com/news/mich/willowrun11e_20041011.htm

HlywdCatft

Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:24 pm

Heres a bunch of info here

http://www.localhangar.com/cgi-bin/clubs/club_home.pl?CLUBNO=3

I know Dwayne Zantop Jr. who is a friend of a good friend of mine. He said that the three Yankee Airforce planes are in the Zantop Hangar

HlywdCatft

Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:31 pm

Here are a bunch of before an after pics...

http://www.localhangar.com/cgi-bin/clubs/pictures_pages.pl?POP=yes&CLUBNO=3&reason=show_page&PAGEID=207

http://www.localhangar.com/cgi-bin/clubs/pictures_pages.pl?POP=yes&CLUBNO=3&reason=show_page&PAGEID=203

http://www.localhangar.com/cgi-bin/clubs/pictures_pages.pl?POP=yes&CLUBNO=3&reason=show_page&PAGEID=204

And for the GOOD NEWS

HEre is proof about the DC-3 and the B-17

http://www.localhangar.com/cgi-bin/clubs/pictures_pages.pl?POP=yes&CLUBNO=3&reason=show_page&PAGEID=205

And the B-25

http://www.localhangar.com/cgi-bin/clubs/pictures_pages.pl?POP=yes&CLUBNO=3&reason=show_page&PAGEID=206

electraBob

Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:34 pm

I guess they can be very grateful that the big sliding garage door at the North end of the hangar was open at the time...I'd hate to think how long it would take to re-open that door...those 3 aircraft wouldn't have had a chance.

The Yankee Air Museum put on one of the best airshows I have ever attended in August, 2003..."Thunder Over Michigan".....talk about being in heaven for a day....4 B-17's and a B-24 parked side by side.....A Lockheed C-121 Constellation, P-38 Lightning, 5 P-51 Mustangs...A MIG-17 and many, many other aircraft...all were on display and all later flew....a truly fascinating day.

Later that evening, the Yankee Air Museum was having a gala dinner and dance for members....it was being held in the main hangar that also was home to the 3 aircraft that, thank god, were saved Saturday nite.
Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a swimming pool.....

HlywdCatft

Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:40 pm

I don't know if people read the article I posted, but for those concerned about the Stinson, it was out of town at the time.

jeb94

Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:32 am

This illustrates how at risk many of these musuems are. Not particularly from fire and natural disaster but from lack of funds. The YAF was trying so hard to get the money they needed to make their facility safer.

KYIPpilot

Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:35 am

I know Dwayne Zantop Jr. who is a friend of a good friend of mine. He said that the three Yankee Airforce planes are in the Zantop Hangar

I figured thats where they would end up, since it is hardly used anymore.

HlywdCatft, do you know what Zantop is up to these days? I have been trying to find out for a while but haven't really got an answer. It looks like only 2 or 3 L-188's are still airworthy. Are they going to close up soon? I would love to have a chance to fly an L-188, but I can't see them ever hiring again. Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

tjwgrr

Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:26 am

Zantop shows 13 L-188's and 2 DC-8-54's when I did a database registration seach, although http://www.flyzantop.com only lists the L-188 in service.
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

KYIPpilot

Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:39 am

Zantop shows 13 L-188's and 2 DC-8-54's when I did a database registration seach,

There are about 10 or so Zantop L-188's parked at KYIP without engines, though. I doubt they will ever fly out of there. They do not operate any DC-8's anymore, either. There are even some DC-6's parked, too. But to my knowledge, only 2 or 3 Electra's are still airworthy.

HlywdCatft

Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:19 pm

Zantop is basically only doing some real adhoc type stuff. Basically Dwayne will tell you they are doing better than they are so I don't know. He tried to tell my friend and I that they had 747s in the fleet.

JMV

Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:35 am

All those interested in helping the Yankee Air Museum recover from the fire over the weekend the first link will take you to a Detroit TV news site with an address where they are taking donations. The link also provides some video of the fire.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/3799224/detail.html

You can also check out the museum's own web site which has similar information and latest news from the museum itself.

http://www.yankeeairmuseum.org
Google begins where my brain ends! ©

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos