Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JBLUA320
Topic Author

Spirit Airlines Questions

Sun Oct 10, 2004 2:54 pm

Hey guys

I have to book a trip to Florida for my family within the next few days, and have decided, despite our Elite status on CO, that they aren't worth the extra $200/ticket on this occasion. So, my choices are jetBlue and Spirit, because I am an avid song hater... and thats based solely on experience, before anyone flames me for being a "blue kool aid drinker".

If I book Spirit, I will only be booking flights on the A321, which perfectly fit into our schedule anyway. I was curious if anyone had any cabin pictures of the A321, and whether or not SpiritPlus would be worthwhile ($30 upgrades at the gate!).

Just trying to see if Spirit is worth a go...it's been 4 years since I flew them last.

JBLUA320

FLAIRPORT

RE: Spirit Airlines Questions

Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:40 am

hmmm...
I assume your planning on going out of LGA?
If I can have some dates, I'll do some research for you. I do not know when and where the A321 is going.
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

burnsie28

Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:42 am

Despite not liking LCC, Spirit is by far worse, I would stick with B6.

flyibaby

Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:41 am

I actually saw Spirit's A32x parked at the gate in MCO. Very very sharp looking plane. I don't think it nessecarily matters which LCC airline you select for this trip. For the most part, they all have new planes, offer good service. Spirit's new airbus is going to be just as nice as JetBlue's so I would say put the names in a hat and pick that way.

PHX757

Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:04 pm

http://www.aerobrand.net/spirit_a321

Has a few pictures of the new 321, also including cabin pictures.

-PHX757

JBLUA320
Topic Author

Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:11 pm

Thanks  Laugh out loud

I think we'll be taking Spirit one-way and jetBlue the other due to schedules.

JBLUA320

Panther

Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:34 pm

Holy Moly!!!, that interior sure looks sweet. It is really refreshing to see Spirit come such a long way. My hat goes off to them. I see the plane a lot in FLL and I must say that it is stunning to see in person.

cheers,
panther

N1120A

Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:36 pm

upgrading to anything for $30 sounds good to me. B6 does trump everyone with TV (they beat F9 because it is free on B6), but Spirit is doing pretty good for themselves. Are they still privately held?
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

wjcandee

Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:09 pm

What made you a "confirmed Song hater"? Are you basing this on a multitude of experiences or one sour one? If I based my impression of JetBlue on my interface with one incredibly rude, crabby and unmotivated cabin crew on a JFK-OAK flight, I would never go back. But I still might. Personally, I have had a multitude of good, reliable, reasonably-friendly experiences with Delta and Song out of JFK and LGA, travelling every week or two. I appreciate the high level of computerization, which allows me to need minimal interaction with any staff until I actually get to the boarding door, and their high level of reliability and professionalism. Sure, I have had a less-than-stellar cabin crew from time to time, but I have also had some stellar ones. You didn't mention Airtran. I have flown them quite a bit, too, and I love the 717 and basically enjoyed my flights on them. I would fly them more regularly if: (1) they didn't share that ridiculous finger at LGA with a zillion other high-volume airlines which cause constant congestion at the 2-lane TSA security [unlike the very-quick security at the multi-lane Delta/Northwest terminal at LGA]; (2) I wasn't ALWAYS profiled by Airtran and therefore delayed because I buy a ticket the same day or day before [which I am not as a Delta FF]; (3) they allowed same-day online ticket purchase, which means that wouldn't have to stand in line and then contend with a ticket agent who although friendly takes a good 4-5 minutes to process the very simple transaction; and (4) the could avoid the nightmare that ensues in weather, or where there is a flight cancellation, due to their lower level of computerization [unlike Delta where I simply scan my old boarding pass at a kiosk and a new one is automatically issued on the new flight that they have automatically assigned me to due to the incredible abilities of WorldSpan]. However, for an infrequent flier, the upgrade on Airtran is well worth it, and they treat their customers in business class very well. You just have to stand in line to get it.

But that's just me -- what made you so mad?

All the best,

Bill

JBLUA320
Topic Author

Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:29 pm

My distaste for song is from two bad flights, one during the first weeks of their operation, and one in August. Trip one, it was FLL-EWR and trip two, it was FLL-LGA.

BOTH times the flights were canceled due to weather AND maintenence problems in New York, whcih was amusing seeing as how family there and my friends back home in New Jersey confirmed sunny skies.

Despite the maintenence problems, and the first CX forcing us to stay overnight, no compensation was ever provided. A letter to song asking what was going on confirmed that on the first flight, the airplane simply wasnt available-- and they didn't want to fly another one in from, of all places, Orlando. To avoid paying for anything, they used the excuse of weather, which was actually only semi-bad over the Carolinas.

Onboard, the experience was fine. The flight attendants on both flights were robots, and the service was just a little too.... hip I guess for my taste. There was a review on another website on song that I agreed with wholeheardetly, and it said "song is trying so hard to be the next big thing in aviation, and cool like what many view jetBlue to be... so hard, it hurts".

As for AirTran, I just don't care to connect through ATL. Nothing against FL.

JBLUA320

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos