Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

wjcandee
Topic Author

BGR Vs YQX

Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:08 pm

I know that both BGR and YQX are used as fuel stops for flights crossing the pond, and we see a lot of military flights on North American, ATA, World, Omni, Miami Air, etc. stopping at these two locations, just as many stop at EINN on the other side. Aircraft involved range from 737s to 757s to DC10s to MD11s on these trips.

My question is, other than location, what are the relative advantages of one airport over the other? In other words, most of the named airlines seem to use both airports, and I'm wondering whether that is purely a function of distance (i.e. how best to break up a flight, say, EDDF-(fuel stop)-RIV given the loads and winds) or are there other factors that usually result in the choice of one over the other (e.g. runway length, price of fuel, etc.)? I know that BGR can do US customs clearing for charter flights, which might make a difference with regard to a pleasure trip, tour, return from cruise, etc., but that's probably not an important consideration on AMC flights. So...anybody who actually makes that decision for a living able to comment?

Thanks in advance.

--Bill

wjcandee
Topic Author

RE: BGR Vs YQX

Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:59 am

Not to reply to my own message, as I know that that's impolite, but maybe I didn't articulate the question well. I know that there are some folks from these various carriers who post here, and what I'm curious about in a global sense is what makes one choose one of the two major East Coast fuel-stop cities over the other?

Thanks,

All the best,

Bill

N1120A

Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:07 pm

Well, Gander is the storied fuel stop, made famous in the days of Connies and DC-6s crossing the pond. It is also the location of oceanic control. BGR has customs and generally tends to be used more as a secure airport and is used less often than YQX
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

CO2BGR

Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:38 pm

BGR is used by airlines that want to stop in the states. Charters to Florida and Military charters are just about all that we get in here now. A lot of the military stuff goes to BGR because there is an army national guard base and an Air national guard base at the airport. BGR was also much busier in the 80s and 90s than it is now, as stopping to get across the pond is a relative rarity these days.

YQX is not used as much any more, Mostly as an ETOPS alternate. YYT is gaining popularity as an alternate as well. The canadian airports main advantage is that they are 700 miles closer to europe than BGR.
There are too many self indulgent weiners in this town with too much bloody money" Randal Raines- Gone in 60 Seconds

Clipper002

Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:58 am

Bill,
Good to hear from you. We at World prefer to use BGR for several reasons. First of all we can do crew changes there if we have to. Flights to YQX are few and far between and also quite expensive. We also have a maintenance presence there and the City of Bangor personnel are qualified load masters for us. On the westbound trips we clear Customs there without having to bother the troops getting off the a/c. The City of Bangor runs a first class operation up there and has been very helpful to us when we breakdown.

During my former life at Pan Am, we would use YQX more frequently than BGR, but that was only if JFK had massive flow control. I remember getting a shipment of Christmas trees on one flight that diverted into YQX. But, those were different days.

Ed
Ed

wjcandee
Topic Author

Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:21 pm

Thanks so much for the knowledgeable responses! This really answers my question!

All the best,

Bill

jetset

Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:17 pm

BGR has jetways , USA customs , easy access for crew changes , in general better weather than YQX , however YQX is very cheap for the airlines . Landing fees are next to nothing , fuel is cheap as well . YQX has 2 main runways so crosswinds are generally not an issue as for BGR they have just 1 and sometimes it could be an issue . Operations on tech-stops from Europe to Cuba stop in YQX as there are no restrictions operating from Canadian soil to Cuba as there is while operating from USA soil . Eastbound YQX gets you about 90 minutes closer to Europe than BGR , westbound with a final destination in the NY city or PHL area would be subject to flow control restrictions coming out of BGR and not coming out of YQX . Ground handling in YQX has some of the lowest costs in the world with a tech-stop on a B747 coming in well under 1000.00 Canadian dollars approx 750.00 USA dollars .
Thats about it I think ..
RGDS/JETSET

wjcandee
Topic Author

Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:58 pm

Thanks again, Jetset. Now I'm confused. My friend at World, who definitely knows their operations, characterized stops at YQX for them as very expensive, and yet you have identified several factors (fuel, ground handling) that are not expensive at YQX. I wonder whether the issue for World has to do with maintenance or something specific to military flights. I do note that ATA seems to use YQX fairly frequently, as well as Bangor, although this may have to do with proximity to Europe.

All the best,

Bill

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos