Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

7e72004
Topic Author

DTW Construction Question

Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:28 am

I was at DTW on Monday and noticed that on the side of terminal C (where the commuter planes are parked there is a building going up..it is not attached to C but is near it. What is that building? I know they are extending B.
The next generation of aircraft is just around the corner!

dtwclipper

RE: DTW Construction Question

Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:30 am

That is the extension to the B concorse. Once C is complete, B will be torn down and connected to the "new" part you are talking about.
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

JAFA

Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:09 am

Ahem....I am sure it the other way around. Once "B" is finished (the part where CAL is now), then "C" where the SAABS and CRJ park currently will be torn down. I beleive the building you see at the end of "C" is the what the concourse will look like. They are just starting at the end and working toward "B". I am not sure if the new "C" will be built parallel to the current "C" allowing one side to be used during contruction or if "C" will just be torn down and the new "C" built in its place. Hope this made sense.

BH346

Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:11 am

Are they redoing the regional gates so that each flight gets its own jetway and seating area (like MSP)? I believe currently, they have everyone in a seating area and they call out flights (like CVG Concourse C).
Northwest Airlines - Some People Just Know How to Fly

isitsafenow

Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:12 am

The word I got about the B is, once its finished, Delta and Comair move in.
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

azjubilee

Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:13 am

Jafa - I think you've got it right. From what I understand we'll be operating from the C during its transformation. Right now the 9 new gates are coming along nicely on the B concourse. The C concourse it being built from north to south. There have been hard stand gates erected right now to handle some overflow while part of the C concourse is closed. From what I understand half of it (either the odd side or the even side) will be torn down first, while the other side is being used. Then they'll flip flop and rebuild the side that was being used during the other sides transformation.

AZJ

JAFA

Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:21 am

sounds like a plan to me, will be interesting to see it while I taxi by there 3 times a day looking out the DC9 galley door window, and the occasional A330 door 3.

NW7E7

Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:09 am

I have always wondered this but never got an answer for it. I have never seen any seating areas. As soon as I get off the plane I go down the ramp and I am in the corridor. Where do people sit? I have noticed that many people sit against the wall. I have been through C a couple of times but I have only arrived in it; In other words I have never left DTW from the C concourse.

It looks to me that when the new extension of the C concourse is built they will tear down the old one and build one just like that of the new one. At the end of it all C and B should look the same. I think it was a big mistake making concourse C like that in the first place. What a waste of money!!

When is construction going to be complete?

NW7E7

HlywdCatft

Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:37 am

This is old news from 2002, but it talks a little about the adding of gates and making the B and C concourse like the A concourse...

http://www.freep.com/money/business/airpo14_20020914.htm

FL1TPA

Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:48 am

I flew from DTW last week and when we were taxiing by what's left of the old L.C. Smith terminal I was very depressed. It looks so abandoned and lonely. With the D, E and F concourses gone and the old NW gateway building empty it just seemed depressing. I used to fly to DTW when I worked for Spirit to watch the NW 747's board and depart to Tokyo and Beijing. It was really cool watching the nose pull right up under the roof overhang on the F concourse. Then they pushed out and after a short taxi, they were roaring down the runway right outside the window.

Great memories gone forever.

FL1TPA
"Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffin' glue."

dc8jet

Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:45 am

FL1TPA I believe you mean the Davey terminal not the Smith.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:24 am

As we've discussed before, when the Worldgateway was initially designed in the late 90's, this was prior to the RJ boom. In fact, NW didn't have a single CRJ until 2000, and they didn't start showing up in DTW until mid-2001. At this point, regional airlines were still an afterthought and same goes for their airport facilities. At the time, the design would've been adequate for a mostly Saab operation. Plus, there were significant would've been significant costs to totally redesign the operation on C, and NW needed to get the Worldgateway open as soon as possible.

NW quickly realized the Concourse C idea didn't work. For the first few months they made everyone wait down in the C lobby until they called your flight to go down the hallway to the gate. Then NW made plans to perimently correct the situation and didn't waste much time in doing so. Its gotten more crowded since more and more CRJ's are parking on C these days. Some people go and wait at the gate an hour for departure which is totally unnecessary on C. There is nothing wrong with standing around for a few minutes prior to boarding, after all you're going to be sitting for the next hour or two anyways.

As you've seen as more and more CRJ's have been delivered, Mesaba is now using 3 gates over on the northeast side of A concourse for the Arvo's. A few ARJ's still park over on B and besides CO's gates, B is used for CRJ's.
When the 9 gate extension opens on B concourse, in 2005, DL will supposedly move from the Smith terminal out to B. At that time the west side of C concourse will close in order to build the rebuilt C concourse. The new concourse will be designed like a normal concourse with individual waiting areas at each gate. It will be directly west of the current C. During this phase of construction the gates on the east side of C will still be operational along with a few hardstands. Once the new C is complete, the gates on the west side of new C will open in order to demolish the old C, fill in the ramp area and install jetways on the east side of new C. The new C will be approximately 40 gates will be longer than the old C, hence why they have started from the north and will work toward the existing building in order to minimize the effect on operations.

I'm not sure why people get so upset at NW about the current set-up. Its 1000 times better than the old shuttle buses up on the old Golfcourse at the old Davey terminal. And also since NW is actively working to fix this problem.

HlywdCatft

Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:58 am

Incidentally, I found an old masterplan study for DTW back in 1988. Its pretty interesting. Only one of the terminal expansion plans had a midfield terminal plan. A lot of the plans called for a new terminal on the east side of the terminal complex (ie around where the Spirit Airlines hangar and GM hangar are currently located. Some even called for the relocation of current Runway 3R-21L.

The rebuilt Concourse B/C is supposed to be all one level unlike how it currently is and be a replica of Concourse A. I believe 25 gates are being added total, 9 for mainline and 16 for the RJs. No more tiny concourse C waiting areas, and everything will be at gate level instead of airfield level.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos