Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Topic Author
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:16 am

Passports Not Required

Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:53 am

Are passports still not required for entry for US citizens into Canada and Mexico. Isnt there a buffer zone wher you do not and past that you do? Thanks
Posts: 328
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2004 3:48 am

RE: Passports Not Required

Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:11 am

There is a 30 mile zone into Mexico known as the free trade zone. No Mexican visas are required to enter that zone for any nationality. However going beyond that zone requires a valid Mexican visa. For American citizens, I believe that a permit is required. I'm not too sure on that.

Posts: 11056
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 2:57 am

RE: Passports Not Required

Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:16 am

You can still travel to Mexico and Canada using your original birth certificate that has the raised seal, and state issued photo id.
You can cut the irony with a knife
Posts: 498
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:08 pm

RE: Passports Not Required

Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:38 am

As indicated above, passports aren't required but having one is somewhat more convenient than having to dig out offical birth certificates.
Posts: 779
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2001 12:26 pm

RE: Passports Not Required

Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:09 am

I don't believe the birth certificate has to be the original; however it does need to be a certified copy with the raised seal. But as someone else mentioned, why not go ahead and get a passport? It makes things a lot quicker and easier.
Active loading only, ma'am, keep it moving!
Posts: 2319
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2000 6:08 am

RE: Passports Not Required

Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:33 am

To enter Mexico a US Citizen needs:

a Passport or one of the following documents:
- county or state-issued original (or notarized copy of)
Birth Certificate; or
- Voter's Registration Card; or
- Naturalization Certificate; or
- notarized affidavit.

These documents must be accompanied by an official government
issued photo ID (not applicable to minors up to/incl.17 years),
such as a driver's licence. Photocopies are not accepted.

a Visa is not required, if coming for:
- a touristic stay of max. 180 days and holding Tourist Card/
FMT form issued by airlines (free of charge); OR
- a business stay of max. 30 days (extension possible)
and holding FMN form (issued by travel agencies, airlines or
on arrival).
Posts: 3201
Joined: Sun May 13, 2001 4:35 pm

RE: Passports Not Required

Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:09 pm

I have crossed the Canadian border several times without a passport... just driver's license.. however I have only crossed busy borders such as Port Huron, Detroit and Vancouver, if that's any indication of anything.

When I fly, I always have my passport with me and they always stamp it so I'm assuming it's required when entering by air.
Its better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than be in the air wishing you were on the ground. Fly safe!

Popular Searches On

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos