Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LordHowe
Topic Author

Daytime Flight - Blades Down?

Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:53 pm

I've never really understood this: On a daytime flight - and I mean all daytime - soon after meal service the FAs go through the plane and tell everybody to put the window blades down and then they turn the cabin lightning almost totally off. I most certainly do not want to sleep during the day and I think it cannot be good for anyone who is travelling far. But when the cabin is darkened, most passengers seem to fall asleep. Just about a month ago I took the morning flight QF188 from HKG to SYD and this happened again. It was a brand new A330-300 (PTVs and all) with only one hundres passengers so soon after the meal, the blades had to be put down and soon after that most of the cabin were asleep. And they slept until the next meal just about 90 minutes before landing to SYD. How do these people manage the following night?

Best regards,
LordHowe
Lord Howe Island - The Last Paradise

DLKAPA

RE: Daytime Flight - Blades Down?

Sat Oct 16, 2004 2:32 pm

Is it possible that they lower cabin pressure just slightly to allow the passengers to sleep through a long flight?

In some cases it can be good. If you are flying halfway around the world and you take of at say 8 AM, then you will probably be landing at around 8 AM local. Right time to wake up.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

AsstChiefMark

Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:15 pm

It's a plot. Sleeping passengers have fewer needs and therefore make their work easier. Just kidding.... But seriously, I was miffed by the FA's TELLING me I HAD to lower the shades on AA66 from ORD to LHR soon after taking off around 6:30 PM. Why? If people want to sleep as soon as they finish eating supper, then they should bring sleeping masks.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

trickijedi

Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:21 pm

Could it possibly have anything to do with the being able to see the in-flight movie much clearer? Because on many of my flights the FA's have asked passengers (although not mandatory) to lower the shades to be able to see the screen better.
Its better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than be in the air wishing you were on the ground. Fly safe!

AsstChiefMark

Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:37 pm

It was a 777 with PTV's
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

geoffm

Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:10 pm

"Is it possible that they lower cabin pressure just slightly to allow the passengers to sleep through a long flight?"

No, lower pressure helps cause insomnia.

Never been on a daytime flight where we've been asked to lower the blinds. The PTV reason sounds plausible though. I often have the blind half lowered anyway, so I can read my book without sunlight glare.

Geoff M.

daumueller

Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:52 pm

well, e.g. FRA-DEN.

you arrive at 3 PM (which is 11 PM in FRA). Going to bed at 11 PM means going to bed at 7 AM... I'd feel cramped... If I get some 4-5 hours sleep on the plane (even if it's more of a nap than real sleep), I feel fine on arrival and won't experience much of a jetlag.

--> sleeping masks are nothing compared to lowered blades
--> I always appreciate it, if people lower their blades (well, in C and F, it's the "standard" anyway somehow)

my 2 cents...

cheers,

ben

MAS777

Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:11 pm

It IS a ploy! Sleeping passengers DO have fewer requests.

I flew SFO-IAH which left at 1215 and landed at 1800 - now no one on that flight should have slept but dimming the cabin sure made the flight very quiet all the way through...

On many daytime flights I often find it can actually worsen the whole flying experience as I often do fall asleep and then can't sleep when I get to my destination - but to the airline not sleeping after you get off the plane is not theirn problem - 'you fell asleep because it was OH so comfortable wasn't it...'  Yeah sure

flyingbronco05

Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:21 pm

I've NEVER been told to lower the shades on ANY airline no matter what time it is.
Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge

AMS

Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:42 pm

Yes, this does happen a lot to me while I am flying!. It looks like that F/A want passengers to go to sleep!, Also on some day-flights you may be asked to close the blinds for the purpose of showing a movie. Off course if you love flying;you want to have a window seat with a view!

Regards,
AMS

LordHowe
Topic Author

Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:36 pm

You said it AMS!

Off course if you love flying;you want to have a window seat with a view!

Thats just it! What use to to have window seat if you can't look through your window? Besides, I agree with that FAs like it dimmed - less work for them. But not all companies FAs. Some are there to serve the customers.

Regards,
LordHowe

N1120A

Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:45 pm

I have personally always despised when an F/A asked me to lower my shade. I pick the window seat because of the view and cannot stand someone telling me I cannot use that. Then, you start getting dirty looks from other PAX, because you did not listen to the F/A. A joke if you ask me
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

n0aaa

Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:50 pm

Recently had this happen on an A320 from SAN-ORD. I am a window-gazer, and apparently quite a few others were, also. About half the passengers lowered their shades (suggested for better movie viewing... which I did not intend to do) and the picture looked reasonable when I glanced at it. The rest of the time I was looking out the window (and eating my own food) and listening to Channel 9. Sitting in a dark can at 37,000 feet in bright sunshine didn't make sense to me. I think if they REQUIRED it I'd ask for about half my money back. Yes, I even look at clouds. How often do you get to look DOWN at clouds? (Saw several other jets (and a King Air at 33,000 feet) against the white background). If they had nose and tail-cameras on individually-controlled IFE's, I'd probably feel differently about it.  Wink/being sarcastic -Jan

avt007

Sun Oct 17, 2004 5:16 am

Now for the other passengers view- I don`t want to sit and stare at the bulkhead for hours because the glare from your window makes my PTV unreadable. Now and then, fine. But hours of looking at clouds? Give me a break. How to fix this dilemma, I don't know.
The style of PTV that was mounted in the seat arm (like ACs old 744s) allowed you to turn it and offset the glare problem. But LHs A346s PTVs are very hard to see if the window is open.

baw716

Sun Oct 17, 2004 5:26 am

I have really never understood this process. Alitalia does this too and is very adament about the shades staying closed during the flight. Even on the 777 with the advanced IFE.

According to the F/As I've asked, they claim it is for better viewing of the IFE. When the screens were in the front of the cabin on the older planes, this was an issue, but now with IFEs, I don't understand why they continue to claim it is for better viewing of the IFE.

Unfortunately, if a F/A tells you that you must close the shade, if you do not, you are technically interfering with cabin crew. So be careful who you say no to. If the carrier is really anal about having the shades closed, let us know on the forum and we'll keep that in mind the next time we fly them.
David L. Lamb, fmr Area Mgr Alitalia SFO 1998-2002, fmr Regional Analyst SFO-UAL 1992-1998

LordHowe
Topic Author

Sun Oct 17, 2004 2:04 pm

Ok. There are to sides in this matter also - I mean with the blades put down. But the other question still remains. The cabin lightning is also turned off. There are only individual reading lamps on here and there. The lightning should not disturb anyones moviewatching. So in the end there is something else, isn't there. Aren't here any FAs who could tell why this happens?

Best regards,
LordHowe

spacecadet

Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:27 pm

On ANA they just lower the window shades for you. They don't ask, the F/A's just reach over and do it. I would think this actually results in fewer complaints - the typical response if somebody asks you to do something you don't want to do is belligerence, but what is a passenger going to do or say to an F/A in the process of actually doing his or her job? Plus it seems to make the passengers less likely to raise them again.

Personally, I can see both sides. Especially for somebody who doesn't have a window seat, dealing with the glare from the sun all flight long can be really, super-annoying. And you didn't pay any extra for your window seat so you don't have any more rights than someone sitting in the middle does. On the other hand, I'm a pretty claustrophobic person by nature so I can understand wanting to look out that window, and whenever I do have a window seat (which I try to avoid, as tall as I am), I always want to raise that shade and look out of it. But at the same time, I worry about bothering anyone around me, who may be reading, sleeping, or watching their IFE. It's all about being considerate, which there's not nearly enough of in the world.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

ua777222

Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:34 pm

Never been told just "suggested". I'll have to ask a f/a buddy of mine about that.....

Thanks again.

UA777222
"It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

baw716

Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:37 pm

Spacecadet,
I agree with you. If you are sitting in an aisle seat or on the sun side of the aircraft, having the shade down is very helpful. Alitalia also puts the shade down for you. They just ask that you keep it down...usually in a way that suggests that there is a policy behind it. When a flight crew member tells me to do something (even if I disagree with it), I comply. I'll ask questions later.
David L. Lamb, fmr Area Mgr Alitalia SFO 1998-2002, fmr Regional Analyst SFO-UAL 1992-1998

MAS777

Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:37 pm

On Malaysia Airlines' long-haul daylight flights into Europe - it does often depend on the crew but generally they are polite and suggest that as it is a long daylight flight that passengers get some sleep but often quite a few passengers do window gaze and leave theirs open which is fine as the cabin is usually dimmer than having them all open.

On Eastbound flights - it is usual to have blinds down as the sun often rises very soon after the late night departures so there is some sense in doing so for the comfort of ALL passengers.

Nevertheless...

On shorter routes though - eg SFO-IAH as I mentioned above - what is the point on a short 3hr 45 min flight? I have never been on a flight anywhere else in the world during daylight hours where the cabin had to be dimmed on short/medium haul flights!

OB1783P

Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:31 pm

On my last flight, MXP-EWR, shades down was clearly the equivalent of throwing a blanket over the parrot's cage, or giving Benadryl to the baby. It allowed the cabin crew to take a solid 4.5 hour break. Eastwards, it hadn't mattered, since it was night time, but 4.5 hours in the dark in the middle of the day wasn't the best. A few open shades here and there, plus at least one beverage service would have made a difference.
I've flown thousands of miles and I can tell you it's a lot safer than crossing the street!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos