Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JU101
Topic Author

Mechanics Ground All Jat Airways Flights!

Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:51 am

Due to the fact that the ongoing strike of Jat Airways airplane mechanics has not received enough attention from management up to now, the union of mechanics have declared a hault to all traffic. Since the original strike began a few weeks ago, the company has been only minimally impacted. Under the regulation of Serbian law, airline employees cannot hinder international flights and are obligated to maintain at least 30 percent of regular domestic service, as the mechanics have done up to now. However, with this unexpected turn of events, it is more than certain that management and the government will have to resolve the issues as soon as possible, otherwise the entire fleet will remain grounded.

As Jat Airways planes continue to return to Belgrade, the airport is apparently becoming very congested, and it gives a not-to-distant glimpse as to how it was in the early to mid-1990s, when an international flight ban was imposed against Serbia and Montenegro.

wgw2707

RE: Mechanics Ground All Jat Airways Flights!

Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:26 am

Since what the mechanics are doing is illegal, why doesn't the government step in and arrest those jerks?

Sounds to me like JAT Airways would be an ideal candidate for outsourced maintenance services.

-WGW2707

LineMechQX

Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:48 am

WGW2707- Calling them jerks? after only reading a short summarized paragraph about them? You don't know the whole story, or the real situation. Not everything in this world is black and white you know. I won't even get into your next sentence. But I'm sure you'll get whats coming to you, if you think outsourcing mtx is such a great idea. From a fellow airliners fan and aviation buff I would like to be the first for thanking you for your support of aircraft mechanics everywhere. Keep up the good work I'm happy to see "crew" next to your name.

Have a good one
PC

Santhosh

Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:08 pm

JU101
On what basis is the strike done?Is it for an increament in Mechanics wages?Does the whole staff take part in the strike or just JAT Mechanics?

George
Happy Landings :)

frjmx328

Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:58 pm

Since what the mechanics are doing is illegal, why doesn't the government step in and arrest those jerks?

Sounds to me like JAT Airways would be an ideal candidate for outsourced maintenance services.

-WGW2707

There are a select few on this site that I would love to meet some day. You're one of them.

European

Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:50 pm

Hi all,

On the subject of JAT when will all the planes be painted in the new livery!

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Roberto Benetti

Thanks

European

P.S

So have all the flights been canclled and all the passengers stranded?

Come on Ryanair! Come on BOH! BASE BASE BASE! Flying high in the skies...........

air2gxs

Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:54 pm

The truth of the matter is that an experienced mechanic can walk around just about any aircraft and find enough fault with it to ground it. The older the airplane, the easier the grounding.

JU101
Topic Author

Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:18 am

It is troubling that someone would actually refer to those mechanics as jerks. Even though they did break the Serbian law which dictates the parameters for carrying out a legal strike in the company (as mentioned in my original posting), the mechanics probably had no other choice since they lost their trust in company management.

I'm pleased to say that the Serbian minister of transport has finally took some initiative, and invited the delegation of the mechanics union for talks. An agreement has been reached early this morning, comprising of the following:

(1) The mechanics will first of all withdraw their demand that a handful of senior directors leave the company;

(2) The wages of mechanics will be increased, while the disparity of wages in the company cannot surpass a 1 to 10 ratio, as opposed to the current 1 to 30 ratio;

(3) The transport minister will pressure the management to re-hire the technical director of Jat Airways, as he was fired by the general director for because of his apparent support to the mechanics not long ago;

(4) Regular traffic should resume later today, thus the strike is concluded.

I just wonder why the minister did not try to solve the issues before any strike actually took place, since Jat Airways is a national interest.

The aircraft Engineers, which joined the mechanics, said that they will maintain a legal strike (reduction of domestic service) if the company does not live up to the agreement that was reached with the Serbian transport minister.

Thats all for now...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos