Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dl757md
Topic Author

Delta Huge Mtc Cutback Rumor!

Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:14 am

Just heard from a reliable source here at DL that we are going to outsource all MD88/90 and 767 HMVs (aka D check or overhaul) and reduce the total number of mechanics by up to 25%. Currently there are 6972 AMTs employed at DL so we could see about 1750 furloughed. All of this is in addition to the closing of the DFW hangar and displacement of the approx 920 Tech Ops employees. There is supposed to be an official announcement Thurs. Nov 4th, 2004.

Dl757Md

[Edited 2004-10-31 00:23:14]
757 Most beautiful airliner in the sky!

N670UW

RE: Delta Huge Mtc Cutback Rumor!

Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:57 am

Sadly, heavy maintenance outsourcing is becoming much more common. IINM, only AA and DL still complete all their own overhauls.

N670UW

Byrdluvs747

Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:46 am

Could any of those mechs find their way over to aa?
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

dl757md
Topic Author

Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:10 am

Byrdluvs747
You'd probably want to check with RIFFEDAAMECH. I think he's up on the recall/hiring status at AA for AMTs. Last I saw in one of his posts he hadn't been recalled. If that's true AA wouldn't hire any DL AMTs as they must recall all their furloughed AMTs before they can hire anyone off the street.

Dl757Md

[Edited 2004-10-31 02:31:19]

Byrdluvs747

Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:19 am

Oh ok. That makes sense. I wasn't paying attention to the AA mech situation.
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

tu154m

Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:56 pm

Where I work, we have heard the same, with the total number gone from TechOps(I assume this includes cleaners, engineers, managers, office types, etc......as well as AMT's) to be around 3,000 when all is said and done. We have also heard Nov 4th will be the day. That is going back an awful long way into the seniority list. All I can say is that if anyone is considering going into this field........RECONSIDER!!!!
S
CEOs should swim with cement flippers!

jetdeltamsy

Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:38 pm

i have heard similar rumors.

it's too bad. these folks are highly compensated because they're experts. they have been continually trained during their employment with delta (or any airline) as a means to increase their pay even further.

now subcontractors are hiring (competent???) people at 1/3 the wages to do the work.

i understand the critical need to control maintenance costs, but it seems pretty low down that the company is cutting people because they're too expensive. they were bettering themselves at the behest of the company.

this is just another example of how our industry is upside-down and operating in an environment void of logic.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

tu154m

Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:58 pm

Not to mention DL AMTs will be the lowest paid in the industry among majors after the 10% paycut. Also, DL has the least amount of AMTs per a/c among the majors and already has the lowest mtc costs in the industry!!!!!!!!!!! I think DL should look elsewhere for the cuts.....like Upper Mgt. Oh yeah, I forgot DL TechOps has actually MADE DL MONEY by insourcing work from other airlines and companies.
S
CEOs should swim with cement flippers!

bucky707

Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:26 pm

I doubt Delta would outsource any of this. Delta Tech ops is so efficient we insource work from many other airlines.

jetjeanes

Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:03 am

i would imagine they would have to probably go to the outsource company now,the sad part is they will be working on the same planes for half the money...
i can see for 80 miles

phollingsworth

Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:18 am

I doubt Delta would outsource any of this. Delta Tech ops is so efficient we insource work from many other airlines.

You would think that would be the case. However, given DL's current cash flow problems, they may actually eliminate a profitable area to shore up there immediate cash situation.

Also isn't a significant portion of DL's insourced MRO revenue from 737s? I don't think they get a whole lot of MD-80/90 work. Many of the 767s are getting quite old, and require a tremendous number of man hours to do HMVs on. This would also lead one to believe that they would be good candidates for outsourcing, specifically on fixed price contracts.

Moving them out of house might free up space in the TOC and other locations to do more profitable work on younger a/c with fewer people.

Of course it could also drive unionization campaigns. Maybe DL should have (partially) spun off their MRO operations when they had a chance.

efohdee

Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:42 am

I'm so sorry. It was going to happen sooner or later. Did the company ever reach a deal with the pilots union? I went to A&P school, was getting ready for an airline career, then got my license. Five days later 9/11 happened and that all went down the drain. I work on a military contract right now. Its pretty good, but I have always dreamed of a flightline job at a major airport. I cant help it, I grew up next to LAX. Delta has always been a favorite airline of mine, and I like ATL.
Outsourcing seems to be the trend these days, and we'll see if the farther faster cheaper "theory" produces safe, quality work. I have my doubts. Maybe I'll be thankful If they stay here in the United States, not go overseas like so many other industries.

dl1011

Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:49 am

"I doubt Delta would outsource any of this. Delta Tech ops is so efficient we insource work from many other airlines."

The DFW hanger operation was supposed to be very efficient. Look what happened there.

keesje

Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:53 am

an increasing number widebodies go to asia for heavy maintenance

manhour rates are very low in e.g China

so then the quality probably is a problem!

uhm..

no..

it is much like electronics, cars etc. during the last decades..

Toyota´s and Sony´s aren´t bad quality..
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

dl757md
Topic Author

Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:52 am

Bucky707

It's nice to hear a pilot recognizing the value and professionalism of Tech Ops.

Please don't take this as a personal attack because I don't know you nor am I familiar with your views. My question to you is: Why would you think DL management wouldn't axe an efficient and profitable division when the pilot group has a deep distrust of managements ability to see this company through to the emergence from this precarious situation we're in. I can't begin to tell you how many times I've talked to pilots and heard "Why should we give them what they want when they're going to just piss it away. I'll just lose my job anyway". What was the slogan? Industry leading pay till the last day? I realize that the pilot union has reached a tentative agreement with Delta. However it seems to me that if you doubt Delta management would do what the rumor says you must be incredibly dismayed with your own union for not conceding to management's 'wise' demands over a year ago and avoiding a large amount of the bleeding that's occurred during that time. I guess what I'm saying is don't paint DL management as competent with their dealings with other divisions when your own division has demonstrated a deep seated distrust of that same management.

Dl1011

The DFW hanger operation was supposed to be very efficient. Look what happened there.

There were problems with the DFW hangar that Tech Ops management never could reign in. I won't go into details but it was basically a power struggle between different departments there. Efficiency was the victim. Efficiency was looked at in the decision to keep the stations/departments kept or eliminated. This is why SLC was kept as a hub when most "experts" had written it off. Sure SLC loses money. But the people there have demonstrated a willingness to work very hard and pull together. If you had two hubs that were losing money and needed to get rid of one and you had a clear cut difference in the attitude of the employees at the two hubs. It wouldn't be that hard of a choice. I don't fault the employees at DFW or the ATL hangar but I do blame the local management for not creating an environment conducive to their people being able to be the best they could be.

Dl757Md

I

dl1011

Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:10 pm

"There were problems with the DFW hangar that Tech Ops management never could reign in. I won't go into details but it was basically a power struggle between different departments there. Efficiency was the victim. Efficiency was looked at in the decision to keep the stations/departments kept or eliminated. This is why SLC was kept as a hub when most "experts" had written it off. Sure SLC loses money. But the people there have demonstrated a willingness to work very hard and pull together. If you had two hubs that were losing money and needed to get rid of one and you had a clear cut difference in the attitude of the employees at the two hubs. It wouldn't be that hard of a choice. I don't fault the employees at DFW or the ATL hangar but I do blame the local management for not creating an environment conducive to their people being able to be the best they could be."

Very interesting. Have never heard of major problems in DFW and management heaped praise on them. If there were problems with the local managers, it's an over reaction to kill the entire operation. Assuming that the work done in DFW is not farmed out, it will take a VERY long time to set up elsewhere. I can only imagine the attitude amongst the employee's as they wait for the doors to close.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos