Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

EZYAirbus
Topic Author

Easyjet Flight To Palma With Only 2 Pax Tonight

Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:43 am

Tonights easyJet flight to Palma went with only 2 passengers, could this possibly be the lowest number of passengers on a scheduled service??

Glenn
http://www.glenneldridgeaviation.com

Vio

RE: Easyjet Flight To Palma With Only 2 Pax Tonight

Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:52 am

I would've just paid their tickets so they can go on another airline... i bet even if they flew first class it would't've cost them that much...

That makes no sense  Smile
Superior decisions reduce the need for superior skills.

PH-BFA

Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:53 am

I remember that a couple of years ago(was on the news back then) a scheduled flight of a 747 of BA (I thought) had only 1 passenger. Must have been the ride of his life....

PH-BFA

srbmod

RE: Easyjet Flight To Palma With Only 2 Pax Tonigh

Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:55 am

When I was a ramper @ EV, most nights, we'd send out our 11:45 pm ATL-MCN flight with 2-3 pax max, and at least once a week, we'd send it out with no pax, no bags, and usually some DASH and CoMat.

JMChladek

Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:59 am

Flight with the fewest passengers I was ever on was a BA 777-200 flight from ORD to LHR. We had 16 passengers and about a dozen flight attendants. In that case, the equipment had to be transferred back at LHR for use, so essentially it was a ferry flight with passengers. They let us sit in BA Club World too (best transatlantic flight I've ever been on to date) I have to wonder if it was the same with Easyjet as even if there were only 2 passengers, if the plane was needed at the destination for a reason, then might as well fly the passengers.

Fanatic

Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:00 am

Like PF-BHA, I also heard of an aircraft with only 1 passenger aboard. I believe it was an Air France flight. The lone passenger had several cabin crew catering to his every need!!

Sam
Sam, Aviation & Car Fanatic

EZYAirbus
Topic Author

Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:01 am

It was going out to Palma then night stopping, made me laugh when they put out the final call for them, this mornings flight to Faro only had 21 pax on it and Malaga 39 tonight also

Glenn
http://www.glenneldridgeaviation.com

Horus

Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:04 am

PH-BFA, I think you are referring to a BA flight that occured during the first Gulf War. The B742 flew with only one passenger. I remember reading about something like that in an Airliner World magazine.

Horus

EGYPT: A 7,000 Year Old Civilisation

diesel1

Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:05 am

It's the halfterm holiday in the UK, many people will be completing their hols this weekend... question is....how many passengers on the return flight from PMI ?....

Wouldn't be suprised to hear it was full...
I don't like signatures...

jetjeanes

Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:11 am

i can remember in the late 70,s i was about 18 my girlfriend and myself caught a redeye on the old frontier airlines from Den to Stl. with a stop in Mci. We were the only two on the 737 and the F/a's raised the seat bars and went to sleep...but not before giveing us a blanket and we did the same...it gets dark in there...They never got us up when when pit stopped in Mci either...But of course no one else got on either.. no flight demo nothing.They laid back down for another hour
i can see for 80 miles

globetrekker

Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:18 am

A few years ago I checked in a 747 KLM flight from Aruba to AMS with only 17 pax on board. It was December 24th, the day before X-mas.
All the pax were allowed to sit anyware in the aircraft they wanted, including World Business Class.

And once I was travelling from Aruba to CCS in Venezuela on a Aserca Airlines DC-9 where I was one of two pax. The F/A came and sat next to me and gave me a personal demonstration of the safety instructions.

Was kinda weird though.

GlobeTrekker
The World Is A Book And Those Who Do Not Travel Read Only A Page

PNEPilot

Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:30 am

Not quite that bad, but I flew a VS 747 EWR-LON (can't remember now whether it was LGW or LHR) about five years ago and there was only a handful of us spread out in the entire economy section - F/As were bringing around the cognac before I'd finished my entree.

dl757md

Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:32 am

In SLC we mechanics used to stand in the jetway during boarding so we could respond quickly to avoid a delay in case there was a last minute mechanical on first departures of the day. We had a 6:40AM departure to DEN and on that day there were only two pax on this 757. One in first class and one in the back. I'll never forget the first class passenger coming down the jetway. What I initially thought was a rather well endowed African-American woman in her 50's turned out to be a well to do SLC business man and Platinum FF. I had a little trouble concealing my surprise at this but without letting my surprise show I said, "have a nice flight" and he/she boarded and they closed the door. The gate agent told me afterwards about his FF status and that he usually flies in drag but sometimes shows up impeccably dressed in a business suit. I guess it takes all kinds.

Dl757Md
757 Most beautiful airliner in the sky!

gatwickgunner

Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:56 am

what uk airport was this from?

OYRJA

Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:03 am

I can say right away that it wasn't the lowest passenger number ever.
We actually had 2 passengers once on the passenger list. But Both of them were no shows. So we actually flew empty from BSL to CPH.
But on the other hand it was on a CRJ-200. It's not as big as a 747 though. But still, I wanted to share my story.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

gkirk

Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:06 am

As it was a nightstopper in PMI Im gonna guess LGW,STN or LTN
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Horus

Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:09 am

GKirk and Gatwickgunner

It was from Luton.

Horus

EGYPT: A 7,000 Year Old Civilisation

ltbewr

Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:46 am

I have seen on the boards here posts of circumstances where flights were near empty or with tiny numbers of passanger. One was for several weeks after 9/11, with flights to/from and within the USA. A second was during the SARS epedimic as to flights within and to/from East and south Asian locations.

NceBoy

RE: Easyjet Flight To Palma With Only 2 Pax Tonigh

Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:36 am

I can remember an noon flight between AMS and NCE on KL (737), there was only 5 pax including me... Right after take-off, the FA made the announcement that we could seat wherever we want.

However, most of the flight I've been on (especially trans-Atlantic) are quite full.
coz I'm leaving on a jetplane !

bsu747

Sun Oct 31, 2004 3:22 pm

Anybody any idea how much it would have cost to go on this Easyjet flight to PMI, just out of interest to see if Easyjet had a low fare of if they bump up the fares anyway for the weekend flights for the holiday destinations regardless.
I know it would have been exspensive to fly the return leg because of the end of the half term break.

BSU747
Flying may not be all plain sailing, but the fun of it is worth the price.

ZKSUJ

Sun Oct 31, 2004 5:39 pm

"I remember that a couple of years ago(was on the news back then) a scheduled flight of a 747 of BA (I thought) had only 1 passenger"
Did this passenger get a free bump up to first class, and how many cabin crew were on the flight?

icarus75

Sun Oct 31, 2004 6:41 pm

Back in may 1994, I flew from Dallas to Denver in the afternoon as it was our connection from the paris flight onAmerican Airlines.We were four PAX in a B757!!
Flying is amazing!

AMS

Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:16 pm

I flew once on KLM on A 734 between Stockholm Arlanda and AMS, and there were only 3 pax aboard!....once Airborne I was able to sit in C class!

Regards,
AMS

[email protected]

Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:20 pm

'I bet even if they flew first class it would't've cost them that much...'

First class to PMI? LOL!
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

trident3

Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:42 pm

""I remember that a couple of years ago(was on the news back then) a scheduled flight of a 747 of BA (I thought) had only 1 passenger"
Did this passenger get a free bump up to first class, and how many cabin crew were on the flight?"

As I remember the guy in question actually spent most of the trip on the flight deck!
The flight he was supposed to have been on went tech so all the pax were transfered to other flights, as he was in no rush to get back he said he'd wait for the repair to be completed. When the flight left ,about 7 hrs late, he was the only passenger.
"We are the warrior race-Tough men in the toughest sport." Brian Noble, Head Coach, Great Britain Rugby League.

bsu747

Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:54 pm

I remember a couple of years ago we flew on the new Hapag Lloyd Expess service between LTN & CGN for a day trip spotting and on the outbound flight there was 7 passengers on a 737 including 5 spotters (3 of which were in our party) On the return leg that night no more than 20 people were on that flight.

We did the same flight a couple of months later and the passenger loads were only slightly better, 13 outbound & about 25 inbound. I thought this route is not going to last much longer and sure enough it was dropped a short while later.

Granted we flew it just after the route started and only used it as a cheap days spotting at 2 german airports. CGN for the cargo and WDL flights and getting on the train for the shor trip to DUS for a few hours as well.

It was excellent value at the time about £40 for a day trip to CGN / DUS for the flights, train and car parking at LTN. Some excellent viewing facilities as well.

At least you can still do a cheap day trip from the London area with Air Berlin and Germanwings from LGW and STN.

BSU747

foxiboy

Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:19 pm

Its that time of year the kids are back at school (thank god) and the summer resorts are gearing down for the winter as the winter destinations star to gear up. So flights to Greece,turkey,the Balerics,and some Spanish main land resorts tend to closed for the winter,well the tour operators dont send people there,the canary islands tend to be busy all year round as well as north africa and the ski resorts of course.At this time of year most charter flights go out empty pick up the passengers and come back full,then spring/early summer they go out full but can come back empty.As charter crew this is the best time of year for me.

daumueller

Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:28 pm

well, I once had the whole cabin for myself on a Malaysian aircraft... but that was a twin otter flight so I don't know whether it counts  Smile

OnlyWay2Fly

Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:01 pm

On the day of the deadline for Iraq to get out of Kuwait (1991), when Americans were leery of flying, I was on a Southwest flight from Burbank to Las Vegas. 7 passengers onboard. One of the F/A's set a big plastic bag of SWA peanuts at my feet and asked me if I was offended by "dirty jokes". When I said no, she sat down next to me and had me laughing for the entire flight. I still have a picture of her, along with a funny letter from Herb Kelleher that he wrote in response to my note about the great experience, hanging on my office wall.
Alas poor Western, I knew them well!

Gitano

Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:02 pm

When I was a gate agent at TZ we had a couple of days that the SJU-PIE flt went out with no more than 5 pax..

Tolosy

Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:22 pm

I wish I could have such qn experience...

On December 24th, I fly from CDG to TUN with AF at 12.35pm

Does anyone has an idea if this flight will be empty...

Nico

lxlgu

Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:37 pm

Hi Nico!
At the moment AF2584/24DEC has 18 business and 6 economy booked
Aircraft A321
Too early to see yet final loads!

Cheers
Tony

L410Turbolet

Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:37 pm

Discovery Link flies near empty ALL the time. Flew with them twice, their domestic service PRG-UHE. 4 pax the first time (May) and 7 the other (September). In a BAe 146. With their option of choosing seating online it's obvious how pathetic their load factors are. I mean check it out yourself: https://www.discovery-travel.cz
That company is one weird airline.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Koen Gladines

MEA-707

Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:29 pm

I am at Palma now, took Air Berlin yesterday from CGN and our 738 was also filled with only 40 people. The season ends around 1 november here, it´s pretty chilly actually, and I guess those flights are still needed to bring people home. The easyJet flight might have gone back to England packed.
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

SunCEO

Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:30 pm

I was on a Futura service (it was kinda charter but booked through a www.budgetair.ie res system) with 4 people, B 737-800, we were a party of 3 :-P

SunCEO

bsu747

Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:39 pm

Don't know what the exact loads are yet but QF have been using Flightline Be146's between LHR and MAN using QF flight numbers for a few months now. They are using them on this route to save losing the valuable slots they have at LHR for new QF flights to Australia via HKG next year, if they don't use the slots they face losing them, hence the reason they use them for QF flights to MAN.
Anyway back to the topic, on the few occasions that I have seen these flights at MAN I have hardly seen anybody getting on or off these flights so I guess if you want a BAE146 flight with very few passengers book a flight to/from Australia with QF starting in MAN.
BSU747

jetjeanes

Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:26 am

Well if you want to get technical Mem has over 100 flights departing daily with no pax or 1 or 2 jump seaters, on md-11s and 727s, that fly internationaly every day and still are one of the most profitable airlines in the world. Fedex..
i can see for 80 miles

David_itl

Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:29 am

Yesterday afternoon, QF183 had a couple of passengers on board; the most I know about is 22 but most of the time it has been 0.

However, the route that I can think of as being an almost total flop was MAN-BRN by OLT which over the course of the 3 months or so it operated, it averaged about 2 passengers per flight.

David

babybus

Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:41 am

When I worked the ramp at LGW, Air Europe had just started their scheduled services. On one early morning (and I mean early morning!) departures to BRU there was only one pax. I had to convince him to travel as he thought it was very suspicious. I think he was offered the option to fly on the flight deck. According to the captain the return leg wasn't expected to be popular either.

and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

FLAIRPORT

Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:43 am

.They never got us up when when pit stopped in Mci either...But of course no one else got on either
Why did they stop at MCI, then?

When I was a gate agent at TZ we had a couple of days that the SJU-PIE flt went out with no more than 5 pax..

And your in chapter 11, why? Big grin

For that guy who flew as the only PAX on the BA747...you are an idol for us all! Persoanally, I would not (unless it was URGANT matters) change my flight if there was a long delay. I know that passengers in the USA are not allowed in the cockpit, but do you think that they would make special provisions if a case like this happened here in the USA?
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

boo25

Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:05 am

Jeez Babybus, i was at Air Europe - and yes the BRU's were never very busy!
Pity some of the night TFS weren't as quiet!

I once had 1 pax on a 767-300 from DUS-LHR ;
He was a US soldier flying home, and was stunning lol!
Therefore I had to offer him the best seat with most legroom on the A/C - opposite my jumpseat - the rest of the crew were livid Big grin , as all he wanted to do was talk - i wasn't complaining Big grin

nycfuturepilot

Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:09 am

yea ive had some really strange pax loads on flights. Recently i flew JFK-SFO-DFW-LGA. The JFK-SFO was on a friday afternoon in march and i expected the flight to be pretty full but it was empty, prob like 16 ppl. Then my SFO-DFW flight was a redeye (140am departure) also on a friday night which i expected to be totally empty but it was overbooked
Father, Son, HOYA spirit

YXDFan

Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:39 am

I can remember a couple of trips with few people on them. One was an AC Dash 8 from Edmonton (YEG) to Calgary (YYC) with only 4 people aboard, the other was a WestJet 737-200 from YYC to YEG and Fort McMurray (YMM)... the YEG-YMM leg had only 11 pax.

AIR MALTA

Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:39 am

Hi Tolosy,

well you will not be alone because I will fly that route (may be) that day.
Which flight are you on?
Next flights : BRU-ZRH-CAI (LX)/ BRU-FCO-TLV (AZ)

ua935

Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:50 am

I flew Cincinnati - London Gatwick shortly after 9-11 on A Delta MD-11 and there were only 13 Pax.

That thing climbed like nothing I have ever flown on before or since, awesome flight with great service.

Simon.
Live every second like you mean it

Boeing777300

Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:01 am

Back in 1992, a friend and myself were touring the U.S. on a Delta airpass trying to fly as many different types in the mainline and connection fleets to as many different airports as possible in three weeks. We were flying from Phoenix to L.A. via Yuma on a SWM Metro and were on standby for the flight at Phoenix airport after being told we would have to re-check in at Yuma for the continuation to Los Angeles. The gate staff kept us waiting until the very last minute to call us for the flight, so I remarked to my friend that it looked we had just made it onto this particular flight. Boy, were we surprised when we boarded the aircraft with seat assignments 1A and 1B, to find we were the only two pax on board. The captain asked us before leaving the gate to re-seat to the rear of the plane to "even the weight distribution out" for take off. What a flight!! The captain left the cockpit door open through-out the flight to Yuma and was conversing with us during the level stage of the journey. Brilliant!!!!!!!
Today, I am absolutely fantastic, tomorrow, who knows?

L410Turbolet

Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:41 am

BSU747,
it may be some sort of curse for Flightline's BAe146s to fly without passengers. Guess what, Discovery Link's aircraft (reply #32) are operated by Flightline!!!

aviationfreak

Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:06 am

I once flew AMS-ARN on a SK 737 with only three other pax. The flight back on an MD-80 had a few more but not that much. The F/A asked me every 5 min. if I wanted another cup off coffee or needed something else.

Sander

I love both Airbus and Boeing as much as I love aviation!

ZKSUJ

Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:33 am

If a flight has no passengers to and from their destination, will the flight crew and cabin crew still go on the flight, even when it is by them selves?

sw733

Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:39 am

I've never been lucky enough to have an incredibly empty flight. The lowest was the Tuesday night before Thanksgiving 2002 when my two friends and i flew on an 8:50 - 10:05pm Southwest flight from MCI - MDW...there were about 17 people on board. It was still nice though.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos