Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bpat777
Topic Author

Having Your Aviation Skills Questioned...

Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:03 am

From as far back as I can remember I have had a fascination and love for aviation. Growing up under the flight path of LGA I have developed a wealth of information on the topic of aviation. However, I find it humorous how non-aviation enthusiasts are so fast to question my skills. Here's an example: One evening I was passing Newark Airport while driving along the NJ Turnpike. A CO 777 had just taken off and was headed NE over northern New Jersey then over The Bronx clearly on its way to Europe. I mentioned this to my cousin who then questioned and doubted me for 30 mins because she felt there was no way I could know where the plane was headed. Her reasoning was that "planes do not have a destination sign on the front like a Greyhound bus does." Another time at approximately 11:30p I saw a DL 763 approaching LGA and informed her that plane was from Atlanta, Ga. Again she would not believe me and told me she thought the plane is arriving from Los Angeles because it was so late and Atlanta would not have a flight scheduled to LGA at such a late hour. Needless to say I kept my mouth shut when I saw a Song 757 (which I knew was from FLL) approaching LGA right after the DL 763.

Do any of you encounter this from your family and friends who think the 757 is larger that the 747 because of the middle digit? Please sure your stories and experiences.

Msl747

RE: Having Your Aviation Skills Questioned...

Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:36 am

I don't believe I'm the greatest expert in aviation that ever lived, but I do feel I know more about aircraft then the average Joe. Usually if I'm at the airport with my family or friends and if I point something out to them they usually accept it. Or if they have a question about something they see they will generally ask me. The one thing that annoys me is, when your standing at the gate ready to board a A320, and some person on there cell phone says "Oh it looks like I'm flying on one of those boeings" and you feel like its your duty to the world to go up to them and say, "um... Excuse me, but that's an Airbus A320" and then they look at you like your crazy. But I guess you just have to except the fact that not everyone knows a lot about aviation, or cares to.

-Msl747 Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Commercial Pilot Certificate: Single and Multi-Engine Land; Instrument Airplane

CHRISBA777ER

Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:23 am

"some person on there cell phone says "Oh it looks like I'm flying on one of those boeings" and you feel like its your duty to the world to go up to them and say, "um... Excuse me, but that's an Airbus A320" and then they look at you like your crazy"

Best to just keep your mouth shut.  Smile

I know more than many, but not as much as some, but i find annoucing it to the world is counterproductive unless someone asks you a question.

Remember the only person who thinks planes are cool is you, and so if you are trying to look cool by explaining to some girl your are trying to impress that the GE90-115b is the worlds most powerful turbofan etc - (stuff that might absolutely fascinate you) - you may be met with less than stellar results.

[Edited 2004-11-04 19:43:14]

[Edited 2004-11-04 19:44:44]
What do you mean you dont have any bourbon? Do you know how far it is to Houston? What kind of airline is this???

air2gxs

Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:25 am

What you guys are describing is knowledge, not skill. Skill is, and I quote,

"Proficiency, facility, or dexterity that is acquired or developed through training or experience. See Synonyms at ability.

An art, trade, or technique, particularly one requiring use of the hands or body.
A developed talent or ability: writing skills."

A skill would be flying the aircraft, being able to identify aircraft and/or likely schedules is knowledge based on experience and learning.

fbgdavidson

Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:32 am

A skill would be flying the aircraft, being able to identify aircraft and/or likely schedules is knowledge based on experience and learning

From the thread title I also thought it was going to be about flying an aircraft as opposed to spotting.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

JAXpax

Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:34 am

Knowing trivia facts about where an airplane is going, what type of engines are on an exact aircraft, or how many seats are on board a Malaysia Airlines B747-400 are in no way related to actually knowing something about aviation, how the airline industry operates, or having any sort of skill related to aviation.

Save the silly trivia for Airliners.net Jeopardy. Most people in the aviation industry don't even care.

B747-437B

Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:39 am

Did it ever occur to you that perhaps they are right and you are wrong?

I have learned the hard way that it is often (mind you, not always) best to accept what people say with a pinch of salt, since it is obvious that such is the same value they will place on your rebuttal.

IntheKnow

Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:42 am

Hi

Had a pax recently who was "telling" me how the year old 744 G-VROC that we were on was "about 20 years old and that VS re-vamped old a/c to look new". When I pointed out the facts he just wouldn't believe me and insisted it couldn't be new as 744s were no longer in production!

The customer is always right?

ITK

Dalmd88

Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:45 am

I agree most people don't like facts. It is just best to stay quiet and let them make stuff up.

cancidas

Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:50 am

at my school we have an pbservation tower overlooking LGA. there was this one kid that we'll call "shrimp." shrimp used to watch planes coming in and would call it one thing, then another, then yet another and still be wrong the 4th time around. one day i had had enough of his stupidity and once and for all banished his stupid ass from the tower. the others there quized us on aviation, if he won i'd leave him alone. if he lost he'd have to leave. the questions varied, but weren't hard. like who flies embraers into ISP. stuff that any local aviation enthusiast would know. well, he lost and we've never seen him again. Big grin

the only other time i was challenged in aviation was by some idiot who thought he could fly cuz he was good on a sim. so we went to my school's 727 sims and flew a few approaches and then a few trips around the patter. even in perfect visibility he could not land on the runway. he walked away saying that if that were fs he would have kicked my ass. now, i'm not typed on the 727, don't even have a multi rating. i just now how to fly real airplanes, while he flies zeros and ones.
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

bpat777
Topic Author

Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:31 am

My apologies for using the term "skills"..Knowledge would have been a better word to use for the topic..

air2gxs

Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:48 am

I'm just busting your chops. But, it is a pet peeve of mine that language and grammar be used correctly.

There are some English-as-a-second language people on this board who have better grammar, diction (and probably pronunciation) than some Americans.

cactushp

Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:21 am

As a young teenager, I get questioned alot when Im at the airport. One time, I was at HOU and I was walking down the WN concource, to look at the the 737's, and when I came back, the gate agent said, "He must be so anxious to get on the airplane (in a kiddy voice)". I explained to her thouroughly and then she said "oh". I felt like saying, "I may be short, but I'm not stupid".
Then another time I was at PHX snapping some pics of our 752 to MSP. Then one dad said to his toddler, "look! he's taking a picture of our regional jet!" At that moment I said because I could (and it would be less offending coming from a kid) "No sir, thats a Boeing 757-200 operated by America West Airlines, not a Mesa Air Group Canadair Regional Jet." He then shut up and then asked questions like "how do you know so much" and the like.

CactusHP
Sorry, I was on the landline

m404

Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:28 pm

Sure, all it means is we're not all anal about the same things.
Less sarcasm and more thought equal better understanding

starrion

Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:48 pm

Planes are cool.... to us.

To others they are just a means of getting from one place to another.

There is an old saying that when two pilots are talking on the plane they discuss dinner and women, when they are at dinner with a woman they talk about planes.
Knowledge Replaces Fear

ramerinianair

Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:52 pm

I hear you loud and clear!!!!!!!!!
It's even harder when your only 18. The older generations think they are right just over age. Try argueing "National is a poor man's WN, It only has those Y seats that are 30'' apart." or "How can a 757 make it to England" or "Wingtips(meant Winglets) are only for economics." or "AA doesn't have the money to paint their A/C so they just pay some minority to polish it."
Sometime it is ignorant and I just don't bother!
SR
W N = my Worst Nightmare!!!!!

JAXpax

Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:00 pm

He then shut up and then asked questions like "how do you know so much" and the like.

You sound like a smartass.

flyf15

Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:11 pm

heh ...nerds  Big thumbs up

nycfuturepilot

Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:39 pm

I kept my mouth shut when I saw a Song 757 (which I knew was from FLL)

I am going to have to ask how you could know this. ATL is the only place that DL flies to from LGA on a 767 so i know how you could know that but song flies to lots of places from LGA so you could not know that it was from FLL for sure unless you had a scanner because it could have been a delayed flight from somewhere else.

I do agree with you though, I cannot stand having my skills questioned. For example i was recenly playing golf with one of my friends and some random guy they paired me with and a citation flew over so my friend asked who makes it so i told him cessna and the guy started telling me that cessna doesnt make jets. But it always bothers me when i see a 747 and say what kind it is or what airline and then somone tells me that i cant possibly tell im always just like shut up and trust me lol
Father, Son, HOYA spirit

HAWK21M

Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:28 pm

Best is Only Advise when your asked.No point having to teach a person who does not want to learn the right stuff.
Advice only people that are keen to understand.
regds
HAWK
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Msl747

Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:41 pm

CHRISBA777ER,
"Best to just keep your mouth shut"

I agree, and usually I do but sometimes it's just so hard to resist  Wink/being sarcastic

-Msl747
Commercial Pilot Certificate: Single and Multi-Engine Land; Instrument Airplane

ZKSUJ

Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:16 pm

I remember a 40+year old man telling me that the NZ 747 was bigger than the SQ 747. Both were 747-400s so I could not see any justification in his answer.
In fact, this was becasue the NZ plane was parked up next to the terminal and the SQ was at the other end
Also, my teacher was telling me that the 747 was great because it was the ONLY aircraft that can fly long haul. I told him that A340s 767s 777s A330s etc... can do long haul to, but he ignored me and reminded me that I was a student while he was a teacher.

CHRISBA777ER

Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:02 pm

Actually thats an interesting point. "Having your aviation skills questioned" is quite a telling little slip of the tongue.

A lot of people seem to think that being able to tell where a plane is from or where its going, how many passengers a plane can carry, or being able to say that such-and-such a plane is lightly loaded because it rotated early is a skill. Its not. Its a knowledge.

Its indicative of the feeling i get from a lot of people on here (not just the American teens) that knowing how many A340s Lufthansa has in some way makes them special. It does not. It isnt a skill, and it will not help you get a job in the industry later on in life. Of the people on here, i could cite only a few who i would say are properly "skilled" in terms of commercial aviation, and you dont have to look too far in the Tech-Ops to find them. Otherwise, this place is just filled with knowledgable (some more than others, and arnt we sick of the catfights to prove it?) amateurs. To be skilled at something makes you valuable and special, but just interested knowledge does not. Its not even valuable knowledge!

Knowing that the VS 744 high above you making the Ockham VOR turn is "Mustang Sally" and that she is the newest of of the LHR based 744s, and that shes departing for BOS is one thing.

Being typerated to sit in the left-hand seat and fly her, is something else.

One is merely an interest, which gains you nothing but personal satisfaction.
The other is a skill, which sets you apart, makes you special, and will earn the rightful respect of your peers and other people.

I get the impression that the holes in people's lives where they wish the latter was, is compensated by overstressing the importance of the former.

Im not putting it down, as im only the same myself, and take a great personal pleasure in knowing a great deal about airlines, airliners, and commercial aviation in general, and i do make a very good career out of it to be fair. But as far as a-net is concerned, lets not kid ourselves. The vast majority of people on here are not professional, but wish they were. I am and sometimes wish i wasnt!  Smile So - can we all take a reality pill please (that will be the day!) and be a little more humble when it comes to what you know - you are no more special than anyone else on here, and nobody but you cares anyway.

Thanks.  Smile
What do you mean you dont have any bourbon? Do you know how far it is to Houston? What kind of airline is this???

JGPH1A

Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:26 pm

I would agree with CHRISBA777ER - sad and bitter experience has shown that 99.99% of people on the planet really DON'T care what plane they're flying on, and don't appreciate having their observations corrected, no matter how politely !

That said, knowledge of airlines and the industry is not comletely useless in Real Life. Sure there are some jobs where it might be useful to know how many LH A340's there are (for instance if you are trying to locate airframes to buy or lease etc), and I have found knowledge of airline operations, routes and aircraft invaluable in the job I do now, because I am in the business of airline distribution, and it helps a lot to know what your customers are selling (you'd be amazed how impressive slipping in a little inside knowledge can be when its relevant to the discussion, and more importantly you'll understand industry references etc when listening to clients).
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

DC3CV3407AC727

Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:23 pm

when i was a kid living under the jfk,ewr,and lga flightpaths,i used to be able to tell what airliner was flying over at night,high or low just by the light patterns,for someone consumed with a passion for flight 24/7 this is no big deal,but i was constantly being told " you are making it up,no way can you tell,etc."
the rumble of round engines is like music to me,likewise the thunder of thr JT8D

jhooper

Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:16 am

I don't mind having my aviation knowledge or skills questioned...Nobody knows it all, and if someone thinks they do, they have alot to learn. You'll be amazed what you can learn with your ears open and your mouth shut.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

roblondon70

Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:28 am

Does being able to fly an aircraft somehow beatify one??

It is also a question largely of knowledge.

atrude777

Sat Nov 06, 2004 2:53 pm

Oh....I love this topic. I am ALWAYS questioned...

But at the same time those same people who doubt me also ask me for some aviation knowledge regarding booking flights, and airlines and aircrafts.

I looked up once and when UAL was flying a 747 IAD-LAX awhile ago I happened to see it. I looked up saw it, and said out loud, united airlines flight XXX IAD-LAX, 747. My grandpa looked up and said "u got all that info from looking up there? how the hell..??

haha I laughed and said if u lookc losely u can see the contrails and there are 4 of them. The only planes that fly 4 contrails, are the DC8, 747 and A340. I know for a fact no us airline flies the DC8 domestically, so thats out, as well as the A340. so I concluded it was UAL or NWA, Then I knew, that it was flying in a westerly direction. northwest does not fly any east to west domestic flight with a 747, but United does. and a route I know of is IAD-LAX and IAD-SFO I think. so I went online and looked up the flights and saw it was UAL IAD-LAX. So..all that I could tell from looking at that great big sky.

loads of other examples but one I thought of.

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

10mid

Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:49 am

Kinda like knowing the batting average of a player with 3-2 with runners in scoring position in the ninth inning against left handed pitchers with runners in scoring position. Great for you if you know but shows no skill in playing baseball whatsoever.

AA717driver

Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:57 am

I always enjoyed having some guy in a suit with a briefcase tell me I made a lousy landing... **** You and thanks for flying with us today! Big grin  Insane TC
FL450, M.85

NKP S2

Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:08 am

JAXpax: Knowing trivia facts about where an airplane is going, what type of engines are on an exact aircraft, or how many seats are on board a Malaysia Airlines B747-400 are in no way related to actually knowing something about aviation, how the airline industry operates, or having any sort of skill related to aviation.

Save the silly trivia for Airliners.net Jeopardy. Most people in the aviation industry don't even care.

Dead-nuts accurate and AMEN.

Aviation "skills" Pffffttttt!!!!

[Edited 2004-11-06 17:09:55]

MADtoCAE

Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:12 am

When I tell my mom's friend that ATL has more pax traffic than LHR she doesn't believe me and says:
How can ATL have more traffic than LHR if LHR is where all the planes and airlines go?
Operator!!! Give me the number for 911!!

bpat777
Topic Author

Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:13 am

This topic was meant to be fun and entertaining not a play on words..Loosen up guys it's not that serious..For those who replied with examples thank you..I appreciate it..Keep them coming

DL WIDGET HEAD

Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:17 am

I agree with your post in principle in that I've often had to point out that the aircraft that so and so is seeing out of the terminal window is not a DC1011 but rather a L1011 and so forth. However, I don't see how you could emphatically say that the CO 777 you saw was "clearly" headed to Europe. That is only your educated guess and I would be inclined to agree with you BUT you can't say that for sure as the aircraft may have been put in a holding pattern, etc, etc. The same is true with that DL 763 you saw landing at LGA..it could have been a diversion from JFK, BOS, BDL, EWR etc. Your guess was probably correct but that's all it was, a guess. Anyway, I understand how you feel on the other stuff. I once had to correct something idiotic a F/A said. A passenger asked at what speed does an aircraft lift off. She replied at about 500 MPH. After a few coughs and eye rolling on my part, I approached the passenger and gave him the facts. Oh well, as the spanish say, Que sera, sera.

[Edited 2004-11-06 17:21:14]

bistro1200

Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:32 am

From the movie the Gladiator, said to Marcus Aurelius: "The greatest display of power is having it, and not using it".

A bigger group of people so thoroughly impressed with themselves cannot be found outside of airliners.net.
Measure to the millimeter, mark with a crayon, cut with an axe.

OB1504

Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:05 am

when i was a kid living under the jfk,ewr,and lga flightpaths,i used to be able to tell what airliner was flying over at night,high or low just by the light patterns,for someone consumed with a passion for flight 24/7 this is no big deal,but i was constantly being told " you are making it up,no way can you tell,etc."

Same thing happens to me on an almost daily basis!

One of the "disadvantages" of having a school and a house underneath the flight path for Runway 8L at MIA, I guess.

cactushp

Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:30 am

He then shut up and then asked questions like "how do you know so much and the like.

"You sound like a smartass."

Yes, I know, and everyone else knows too, your just jealous. You put someone down to lift your self up. And also, I'm a human so please treat me like one. If you would like to contact me and say all you BS, just e-mail me.
And, if you read what the original poster said is "Do any of you encounter this from your family and friends who think the 757 is larger that the 747 because of the middle digit? Please share your stories and experiences."

CactusHP
Sorry, I was on the landline

JAXpax

Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:37 am

Yes, I know, and everyone else knows too, your just jealous. You put someone down to lift your self up. And also, I'm a human so please treat me like one. If you would like to contact me and say all you BS, just e-mail me.

I'm jealous of you, a child walking up to an adult and correcting them on what aircraft type they are looking at out a terminal window?

That's a good one.

Despite having a degree in aviation, work experience with an airline and an airport, and holding a commercial pilot license, I think I'd still know a bit about aircraft types from the 60-90 airline flights I take each year.

I'd love to discuss this further with you over e-mail or AIM. Feel free to e-mail me your AIM/MSN through the contact link in my profile.

dl757md

Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:07 am

Atrude777

The only planes that fly 4 contrails, are the DC8, 747 and A340.

What about the KC-135, C-5, C-17, C-141, B-52, E-4B, E-3, and John Travoltas' 707?

Dl757Md
757 Most beautiful airliner in the sky!

BAxMAN

Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:18 am

Atrude777

Oh....I love this topic. I am ALWAYS questioned...

But at the same time those same people who doubt me also ask me for some aviation knowledge regarding booking flights, and airlines and aircrafts.

I looked up once and when UAL was flying a 747 IAD-LAX awhile ago I happened to see it. I looked up saw it, and said out loud, united airlines flight XXX IAD-LAX, 747. My grandpa looked up and said "u got all that info from looking up there? how the hell..??

haha I laughed and said if u lookc losely u can see the contrails and there are 4 of them. The only planes that fly 4 contrails, are the DC8, 747 and A340. I know for a fact no us airline flies the DC8 domestically, so thats out, as well as the A340. so I concluded it was UAL or NWA, Then I knew, that it was flying in a westerly direction. northwest does not fly any east to west domestic flight with a 747, but United does. and a route I know of is IAD-LAX and IAD-SFO I think. so I went online and looked up the flights and saw it was UAL IAD-LAX. So..all that I could tell from looking at that great big sky.

loads of other examples but one I thought of.

Alex

Nice story. And grandpa must have felt soooo proud of his grandson.....

But how did you know that this 4 contrails eminated from a domestic flight? Several non-American airlines send 747s regularly towards LAX in a westerly direction.

Grandpa would feel soooo ashamed of his grandson if he realised what a terrible assumption he made.
Mild green Fairy liquid

ZKSUJ

Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:22 pm

When I tell people using my KNOWLEGE (or lack of), people tell me that I am a geek and thet don't really care to be honest. Sad Sad world  Big grin

TS-IOR

Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:32 pm

I assume that aviation enthusiasts could be compared to aliens Big grin people see it very strange to enjoy passing hours watching low and high level traffics and just because we are "professionals" we can tell what is the destination, the route, the acft type, the flight number...of a single traffic !!!

S

skysurfer

Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:20 am

I used to live 4 miles from Manchester airport (MAN) and i got to know quite a bit about flights, routings and aircraft/airlines flying high overhead. Some days i'd be watching television and i'd say outloud 'there goes the fokker 70' as i heard it pass overhead, and that usually resulted in a few expletives from my brother! Other times i'd glance at an aircraft whilst it was in cruise and i'd say what it was and some of my friends would just shake their heads and tell me i was lying. If i tried to explain anything to them they wouldn't listen, so i made it a point not to speak out loud and to just keep it to myself, lol. One of my spotting friends even questioned me when i said i was watching the 2 fedex aircraft turning over Liverpool to head down south after crossing the pond from the states....i had to show him that i could see 'that far' and wait for the 2 fedex aircraft on another days flight. He didnt believe me because he failed to realize that the aircraft were at altitude!! I've gotten used to being told i'm lying or making it up but i still chuckle to myself about it. If i'm wrong then i'm the first one to admit it, but my friends will never know they're wrong.
I'm sorry but i just have to add this....my friend lives next to Hector Intl (Fargo), and every so often she'll tell me that she heard 'the jets' (F-16's) taking off. I can't help but reply 'u sure it isn't an NWA DC-9?"!

Just a quick sidenote...I was catching a flight from Sydney to Cairns with Ansett (767) and when i was passing through security the guy made me open my backpack so he could look at my 'scope. That wasn't a problem for me as i always keep it at the top of my bag so i can hand it over without hunting for it, but this guy proceded to look through it right at me standing 2 feet in front of him! He was mystified as to why he couldn't see me, so i had to tell him in front of his colleagues and other pax that the lens caps were still on, and that i was way to close for him to see me!!! He went bright red, i chuckled and the 'scope got passed around all of the other security agents so they could look at the far end of the terminal with it. They were like kids in a sweet shop, hehe.

Cheers

[Edited 2004-11-07 23:40:32]
In the dark you can't see ugly, but you can feel fat

j.mo

Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:12 am

Atrude777

The only planes that fly 4 contrails, are the DC8, 747 and A340.

What about the KC-135, C-5, C-17, C-141, B-52, E-4B, E-3, and John Travoltas' 707?

I know for a fact no US airline flies the DC8 domestically

The C-130, B-2 and the B-1. And I believe there are a few cargo carriers still flying the DC-8 Domestically.

J-

N1120A

Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:20 am

If you guys think it is hard to be young and know more than the next guy, you should try having graduated with honors from UCLA, getting a J.D. and Ph.D and having an "airport planner" claim that there was a "Triple 7 XP that would fly from MIA-SYD" and not be able to say anything because you had to sit next to him and his wife for 3 hours on an airplane. He even claimed to browse A.net.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss