jetjack74
Topic Author

Movies Revolving Around Airliners

Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:34 pm

I was thinking about different movies with airliners in them. Now i'm talking about movies where the aircraft are central piece in the movie other than the "Airport" series. Some that come to mind:

1. International Airport(1985), A corny soap-opera type movie, set a LAX where a ConWest DC10 is thought is to have a bomb on it by an anonomys passenger. Obviously a Western Airlines DC10. Notable cast-George Kennedy, Bill Bixby, Connie Selleca, and Robert Vaughn

2. The Delta Force(1986) A US airliner is hijacked in the middle east, and the US Army Delta Force is sent in to get them out. A MAOF Airlines 707-139B was used for the movie and painted in the fictional colours of ATW, American Travel Ways. Notable cast-George Kennedy, Lee Marvin, Chuck Norris, and Robert Vaughn.

3. Flight 90, Crash in the Patomac(1983) True account of an Air Florida 737 that crashed in the Patomac River during a snow storm. Made after Air Florida went out of business, so reputation wasn't in jeopardy. I haven't seen this movie in years. I don't even remember who was in it.

4. Hostage Flight(1986) Fictional story of a DC10 hijacked from ORD-DTW and flown to JFK instead. A World Airways DC10 was used for the fictional airline Trans Allied. Kind of a boring movie, they don't show the DC10 enough. Starring Ned Beatty and a few others that I don't know.

3. The Terrorist(1975) A Boeing 737 is hijacked and flown to an airport in Norway. A Mey Air (actual airline) Boeing 737 is used for this movie. It's a good movie. Starring Sean Connery, and Ian McShane.

5. Raid on Entebbe(1978) True account of a daring rescue by the elite Israeli special forces, led by Yani Netanyahu(brother of Benjamin Netanyahu), Yitzak Rabin and Ehud Barak, at the Entebbe Airport in Uganda. An Air France Airbus A300 is hijacked and taken to Uganda where they are guests of Idi Amin. An Air France A300 and a brief appearance of Boeing 707 star in this classic. Notable cast members Charles Bronson and a few others I can't name.

Anyone else have any they want to add to the list?

Made from jets!

northwestEWR

RE: Movies Revolving Around Airliners

Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:54 pm

Turbulance 2 Fear of flying (????)
An Oceanic 747 is hijacked and flown around seattle with a nerve gas bomb on board
really good movie

the one were dulles is taken over by terrorists in a snow storm

the flight of the phoenix

Airport 1970s Burt lancaster
Northwest Airlines - Now You're Flying Smart

zippyjet

Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:18 pm

I could write an epic on this topic. There are lots of cinematic tour de forces in which an airliner is the star of the show. They range from crap to compelling to camp. One can go all the way back to aviations formative years with the original Flight Of The Phoenix. The airline disaster genre really took off during the decade when America liked Ike and the world Loved Lucy. Two movies come to mind from the 50's; Zero Hour and Jet Over The Atlantic. "Zero Hour" formed the plot for the satirical 1980 comedy "Airplane." And, as many of my fellow friends here at A-Net know, I'm always poking fun at that noirish hysterical testimate to 1950's melodrama "Jet Over The Atlantic." An airline disaster flick where even after turbulence and near death in the sky, the passengers still deplane with their zoot suits and the ladies formal nun like outfits complete with pearls and pillbox hats like they were just cleaned and pressed! The funniest thing about this one is the fact THE AIRLINER IS A PROP! Talk about oxymorons! I believe "Jet Over The Atlantic" hit the theatres named Bijoux, Rialto and Strand several years before the Lockheed prop-jet Electra was certified to fly. And this turbo prop did not have trans Atlantic range!

Here is a great site that lists and reviews some airliner movies.

http://www.airodyssey.net/articles/movies.html

PS. There were at least two movies that dealt with the crash of Eastern Airlines L1011 flight 401 in the Florida Everglades on that ill fated flight from JFK to MIA.

I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

Skydrol

Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:18 pm

Mystery Of Flight 1501 {1989} Cheryl Ladd

Murder on Flight 502 {1975} Robert Stack

Skyjacked {1972} Charlton Heston

The Pilot {1979} Cliff Robertson

Also check this Air Disaster Movies site for LOTS more.

LD4
∙ ---{--« ∙ ----{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ---{--« ∙ --{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ----{--« ∙

N863DA

Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:27 am

I believe "Jet Over The Atlantic" hit the theatres named Bijoux, Rialto and Strand several years before the Lockheed prop-jet Electra was certified to fly. And this turbo prop did not have trans Atlantic range!

Just to clarify, I haven't seen the movie, but the Bristol Britannia was a large transatlantic turboprop that was first flown in August, 1952.

This plane flew long before the Lockheed Electra, and was designed primarily for high-density BOAC routes to the Empire and across the Atlantic.

Maybe the film was loosely based around the Britannia?

FLY DELTA JETS

N 8 6 3 D A

[Edited 2004-11-05 20:27:58]

PanAm747

Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:39 am

The Ghost of Flight 401 - Ernest Borgnine as the ghost of the deceased pilot of the Florida Everglades L1011 crash in December, 1972.

The Horror at 37,000 Feet - This was so bad it was comical. A small group of passengers on a 747 flight on the summer solstice carrying stonehenge-like artifacts. The haunted artifacts emerge to wreak havoc...William Shatner as the defrocked priest.

There was also another bad melodrama (and I can't remember the name) about a transcontinental-bound 727. A prisoner being transported to jail (portrayed by the same guy who played the psycho National Guardsman who kidnapped Victoria Principal in "Earthquake") manages to steal the gun of his guard briefly, shooting a little girl (who is saved by a burned-out and bitter elderly doctor, played by Ray Milland) and crippling the plane. Horrific to the point that most airline enthusiasts wouldn't watch it.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

jetjack74
Topic Author

Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:07 am

The Ghost of Flight 401 - Ernest Borgnine as the ghost of the deceased pilot of the Florida Everglades L1011 crash in December, 1972.
Wasn't that the one where the ovens were from the ill-fated TriStar was installed on the ghost-inhabited TriStar,and Earnest Borgnine's ghostly image appears in the reflection on the glass? I thought the Crash of Eastern 401 was a better depiction of the accident. That was the one with Eddie Albert as the captain and William Shatner was the crash investigator. Also Sharon Gless played one of the flight attendant.

Made from jets!

jc2354

Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:58 am

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the grand daddy of all airliner movies, "The High And The Mighty".

Jack
If not now, then when?

DAYflyer

Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:17 am

"The Pilot" with Cliff Robertson is a real classic....lots of cockpit stuff and ATC chatter but a really poorly done crash at the end.
One Nation Under God

Moose135

Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:17 am

The Horror at 37,000 Feet - This was so bad it was comical. A small group of passengers on a 747 flight on the summer solstice carrying stonehenge-like artifacts. The haunted artifacts emerge to wreak havoc...William Shatner as the defrocked priest.

Wow, I haven't thought about that movie in a hundred years! It was a made for TV flick - may have only been on one time. And yes, it was so bad, it was funny.

Moose
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

7e72004

Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:20 am

Don't forget AIRPLANE!  Big grin
The next generation of aircraft is just around the corner!

WesternA318

Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:27 am

You can't forget to list "Fire and Rain", about the crash od Delta 191 in DFW in 1985. It stars Angie Dickinson and Tom Bosley.

GLAGAZ

Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:32 am

Maybe someone can help me here. I remember seeing a film about an aircraft emergency. The story was set in an ATC tower. The aircraft had lost all control surfaces so had to turn using the thrust of the engines.
Neutrality means that u don't really care cos the struggle goes on even when ur not there, blind and unaware

jetblast

Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:44 am

Don't forget "Cast Away" w/ Tom Hanks!

JetBlast @ BWI
Speedbird Concorde One

jetjack74
Topic Author

Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:35 am

Maybe someone can help me here. I remember seeing a film about an aircraft emergency. The story was set in an ATC tower. The aircraft had lost all control surfaces so had to turn using the thrust of the engines.

Was it the one about Captain Al Haynes and United 232?
Made from jets!

FLY2LIM

Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:17 am

ALIVE!
It was about the Argentinian rugby team returning on a Uruguayan Air Force plane from Chile. I believe the aircraft was a "co-star" since it served as the shelter for the team in the snow.
FLY2LIM
Faucett. La primera linea aerea del Peru.

isitsafenow

Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:22 am

I still like "Fate is the Hunter", second only to "High and the Mighty".
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

masseybrown

Sat Nov 06, 2004 3:10 pm

"No Highway in the Sky" (UK title was just "No Highway") with James Stewart, Glynis Johns, Marlene Dietrich about an aircraft engineer who predicted the failure of the aircraft he was flying on after a certain number of hours.

Not the greatest; but very good. Funny to see what was probably a DC-4 tricked out with a crazy, multi-elevator tail, called a "Reindeer" in the movie. Written by Neville Shute.

airsicknessbag

Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:44 pm

Come Fly With Me - based on the high life adventures of a couple of stewardesses in the 50s

that movie in which Concorde is to be sold to some South American airline, then is sabotaged and crashes into the Atlantic

that movie in which Charlton Heston (?) captains a 707 which is hijacked to Moscow by a soldier with mental issues.

Daniel Smile

PanAm747

Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:49 am

Then there's the ultimate 1970's-too-much-cocaine-use-by-TV-executives inspired bad melodrama starring vast numbers of b-list celebrities: "SST-Death Flight", an ABC Friday night movie of the week.

The maiden flight of Cutlass Industries wide-bodied supersonic jetliner, flying from I believe Dulles (somebody help me out) to Paris, is sabotaged by one of Cutlass Industries test pilots. He is bitter that he lost out as being Captain (and he lost to Robert Reed, Mr. Mike Brady from "The Brady Bunch"), so he decides to damage the hydraulic system so the plane will be forced to return, humiliating Cutlass Industries.

Of course, he admits the sabotage in flight, and volunteers to fix it. It explodes at JUST the right moment, killing him, and damaging the the luggage area, releasing a very toxic strain of "Senegal Flu", bound for Paris to be studied. The passengers become ill, and the plane is refused landing everywhere except London.

Heroically, the plane decides to divert to Senegal in West Africa (the ONLY accurate point of the movie), but doesn't make it. It crashes, killing most of the co-stars, including Burgess Meredith and Burt Convey. Lorne Greene was the best of the bunch, but only because he was the dispatcher in regular communication with the airplane back at the base. He did a great job (with bad material!!).

The shots of the plane were hysterical - four regular jet engines on a delta wing (Concorde/TU-144 style)? And a wide-body supersonic jet? Even at 10 or 11 years of age, I was laughing along at this one...

And this from a kid who thought Airport '75 was terrific!! Hey, still some of the best air-to-air shots of a 747, especially in the mountains around Salt Lake City!! That one still has a special place in my heart...
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

747buff

Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:58 am

Someone mentioned the movie where Dulles is taken over by terrorists in a snowstorm; that would be Die Hard 2, starring Bruce Willis. Surprised no one else mentioned it yet.
At Eastern, we earn our wings every day!

jetjack74
Topic Author

Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:02 am

The SST-Death Flight used an old Lockheed cabin mock-up from their SST concept. It was broken up for the crash-site scene.

that movie in which Charlton Heston (?) captains a 707 which is hijacked to Moscow by a soldier with mental issues.

That was the movie Skyjacked. They leased a World Airways Boeing 707-373C for the movie.

Made from jets!

wdleiser

Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:41 am

Airplane  Smile starring Leslie Nielson and including Kareem Abdul Jabar is always a great movie

ariis

Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:04 am

"Executive Decision" - B747 is hijacked and heads towards the US with some explosives onboard. Non-realistic, but spectacular inflight boarding sequence (docking with fictious modified F-117) plus some crawling over the cabin's ceiling and under the floor. Not-too-much-involving but good action movie, at least I did enjoy it. Starring Kurt Russell, Halle Berry, John Leguizamo and Steven Seagal, who, to surprise of everyone, dies around 15th minute.

FAO
FAO - Flight Activities Officer

chicago757

Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:48 am

Passenger 57 (1991) - Wesley Snipes
Go White Sox!!!!

zippyjet

Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:30 pm

PanAm747 your review of SST Death Flight had me rolling on the floor. An excellent review! You should submit this review and any others you can think of to http://www.airodyssey.net/articles/movies.html. Email the webmaster and creator of the site Sergio Ortega. Submit this one. I feel your writing style would shine. And, there were your typical variety of passengers who all had issues and drama. The only cliche missing from this cinematic tour de force was the obligatory pet on board. Most airline disaster movies always feature a four legged furry friend that survives the incident unscathed and looking like it came straight from the Pet Smart groomer table.
There were two black and white classic airline disaster flicks from the early 60's. I forgot their titles. Both were in beautiful black and white. Both were supposedly jets but had the cabins of DC 7's. In one of these two films, when the passengers jumped out the emergency slide, you saw the rounded tail found on props. It too was a DC 7! In this movie, there was an altitude bomb planted on the plane. If this jet, called a 797 dipped below a certain altitude, kablooey! The lunatic I believe wanted money and was mad at the world. As a matter of fact, a young 1950's looking nerdy dude sacrificed his life when he totaled the three on the tree Chevy clunker delivery truck of SpeedyJet messenger service. Dollar bills blew around the road kill and the truck was flipped over, wheels still spinning and melodramatic 1950's style movie music played. The braintrusts of the movie, captain and ground control outsmarted the stupid psycho criminal by landing their bird at Denver's Stapleton Airport. Anyohe remember the name and year of this movie?
The second movie had the same 1950's prop looking plane, was also in beautiful black and white and also had plenty of that melodramatic 1950's movie music. In this one, the ill fated flight was from LAX to SEA. A sudden electrical short caused this plane to crash somewhere over Encino. And, a UMNR was killed. Of course they managed to find her stuffed teddy bear unscathed looking like it had been Martinized. This is some kind of high tech at least for the late 50's/early 60's form of dry cleaning using chemicals that are toxic today. And the little UMNR girl (unaccompanied minor) was African American. In those days, it was poor little Negro girl Was this crash terrorism? No, it was caused by the captain spilling his cup of Java swill on a console that had a slit. They even recreated the flight to see what caused the crash. Same captain, co-pilot and flight engineer. They all came out of the crash unscathed and volunteered to recreate this risking death or dismemberment. They deduced, that the damn cup of Java swill spilling into the console shorted out the electrical stuff and caused the plane to crash.
Of course plenty of melodramatic 1950's movie music. I can't remember the title of this flick either. Safe flying  Big thumbs up
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

britmex

Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:44 am

Well amazingly Latin America has its share of airline themed flilms and even sopa operas:

In the 50`s there was a film about flights into the remote jungles of Quintana Roo years before Cancun was ever thought as a touristic place. It was a good flim and included shots of DC-3`s and other g.a. types.

Later, some comical films were made including one with a very known comedian (not sure if he was Tin Tan) in which a helicopter "goes crazy" over Mexico City. It has breathtaking shots of Aeronaves de Mexico DC-8`s, DC-6`s and Mexicana`s Comets and some others. Also inluding areial shots of Mexico City landmarks like Chapultepec gardens, Angel de la Independencia and the city centre`s historical buildings. That was a very good one.

Anyway, the best known was a soap opera which revolved around the exploits of an Aeronaves de Mexico stewardess (starred by Angelica Maria). The shots included the interiors of Aermexico`s DC-8`s and DC-9`s as well as real uniforms and several shots of MEX terminal in the 70`s.

britmex
Aeromexico, la linea aerea que va para arriba

LY4XELD

Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:27 am

What about "Soul Plane"???

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos