Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Clipper002

RE: Ferrying Troops Home On A/c?

Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:49 am

Irishjohn,
We were well aware of that fact and had already received approval to stow weapons without ammo in the cabin of our planes. This was only a very small group of protestors and in no way should it reflect on the homeland of my parents.

Ed
Ed

irishjohn

Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:00 am

Fine by me clipper002!!!

Clipper002

Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:12 am

Irishjohn,
Thanks. I did not mean to offend anyone.

Ed
Ed

Clipper002

Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:14 am

Irishjohn.
I failed to ask you what you are doing in Russia?

Ed
Ed

ATLhomeCMH

Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:45 am

....Finally two seats were found for these guys and when they came on the plane everyone cheered...several people thanked them. Even more, the captain sent back a couple of beers for them, then some of the pax bought a round for them too. Needless to say these guys were feeling pretty good by the time we touched down at ELP.

Pretty much the same thing occurred with me, as well. I think I mentioned this earlier...coming home I flew SAN-DFW-DAY on AA and on the SAN-DFW leg, we got free beer from the Captain, and on the DFW-DAY leg we were upgraded to first class.

People cheered us, patted us on the back, and some guy wanted me to autograph his Michael Savage book...I'm not a fan of Michael Savage, but I did it anyway  Smile

AA and WO both made my homecoming great...I have often thought of switching from flying DL and FL primarily to flying AA as a personal gesture of thanks  Smile
"The most terrifying words in the Engligh language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'"-Ronald Reagan

Clipper002

Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:11 am

ATLhomeCMH,
You can go ahead and dump DL, but please stick with FL. My kid needs to keep his job.

Ed
Ed

wjcandee

Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:02 pm

TO Clipper002:

Ed, I have another question about CRAF, that I guess properly goes here.

Today, for example, there's a troop movement from McGuire AFB (WRI) to Frankfurt (and presumably beyond, but not shown). One flight is on an American 777, another (about 18 hours later) on a World DC10. American and World are both members of the Alliance Contractor Team. Because WRI wasn't, as I recall, a starting point for any fixed-buy movements, I think it's safe to assume that this is an expansion, passenger, AMC CRAF Long-Range International movement. (Most of the contractor traffic at WRI seems to be freight rather than passenger -- Atlas, Evergreen, etc., but AA doesn't do cargo, and World's freight DC10s seem to be in LA and Brussels today, so I assume that both flights are passengers.)

Under these circumstances, is it safe to assume from the fact of the AA 777 flight today that World's entire passenger fleet was committed to other work (or maintenance) today,and that World was unable to provide an additional aircraft (or two) to carry the troops that flew on the American 777? As I understand it, expansion flying is offered proportionally (per month) to each team, and that World has first dibs on all expansion flying awarded to its team. I understand further that, if World can't provide the service, the expansion flying is supposed to be offered next to any other member of that team and than to any other carrier that can provide service. Would the award to American for today's flight then mean that two aircraft were needed and World could provide only one? Or could it mean something else, like there were X number of troops to fly and they fit best into one 777 and one DC10 (and that World then lost the opportunity because the AMC wanted a bigger aircraft)? My recollection is that the Air Force doesn't get to do that during a period when the CRAF isn't activated, that they can't say, "Oh, these troops would fit better on two 747s than 3 MD11s, so we'll just call United." If indeed seeing an American a/c doing a mil charter means that all 7 (excluding Sonair) MD11s and all 3 passenger DC10s were committed to other work or maintenance and thus couldn't be made available for this work, that's great! Or am I reading too much into the American flight? Same goes for flights with United 747s...

Jacksonville is home this weekend, but Buffalo is at New England, so I guess that takes one aircraft away from this opportunity, but it's a Saturday/Sunday, so I guess that makes the Sonair airctaft available. In any event, if the utilization is that high, that's really fantastic. It wasn't that long ago that World was forced to take (otherwise-good) opportunities from shaky operators like Ritetime and TM in order to keep planes flying.

All the best,

Bill

MACDADDY

Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:44 pm

I know that bmi A330 and a European 747-2 were used in Afghanistan airlifts, my ex crewed one, and a mate flew back in the upper deck bubble on the 747!

wjcandee

Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:11 pm

MacDaddy: Is your nickname a pun on the old MAC (Military Airlift Command, predecessor of the AMC Air Mobility Command), or just a coincidence?

--Bill

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos