Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

wjcandee
Topic Author

Flu Vaccine And Airline Employees

Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:25 am

I haven't seen any discussion here about how the flu shot shortage is affecting airline employees. I assume that most do not qualify for the actual shot, as most are younger than 65 and any pilots, for example, probably could not fly with the kinds of diseases that make one younger than 65 eligible for the vaccine. And yet it would seem that being in a confined space with several thousands of people over the course of a multi-day work schedule would expose airline workers to flu early in the season. In the past, did airlines typically offer flu shots in clinics to their employees? It would also seem for the public good that airline workers (like health care workers) should be vaccinated so that they don't themselves *expose* passengers to the flu. Given the lengths that I went, as a healthy person, to try to find the Flumist vaccine in New York City (which is the only vaccine I qualify for as a healthy person), I imagine that it must be hard for airline workers to protect themselves. What are folks doing?

All the best,

Bill

(P.S. I did a simple little web page documenting my own travails on this subject, including a list of the four (that's all I have found so far) pharmacies in Manhattan that actually carry Flumist. If you're interested, it's at: http://home.nyc.rr.com/wjc4/Flumist1.htm )

gigneil

RE: Flu Vaccine And Airline Employees

Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:34 am

Make sure you're in perfect health before taking FluMist.

N

wjcandee
Topic Author

Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:40 am

I agree that there are many people for whom it is not indicated, and I checked carefully with my doctor about it for me. Certainly, I don't think anyone should get any vaccine without discussing the pros and cons with one's doctor. But for me, at least, my doctor said it would be fine, and indeed it has been.

Thanks for your concern,

Bill

wjcandee
Topic Author

Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:30 am

Just out curiosity, is there nobody on this forum who can comment on what airlines are doing to protect their employees from flu?

Thanks.

All the best,

Bill

eyesinthesky

Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:32 am

I am also an Airline employye and I come into close contact with lots of people everyday. The only prevention I have is lots of hand washing.

ordflyer

Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:20 am

The only prevention I have is lots of hand washing.
A bit off topic, but a few years ago I worked in a drugstore...obviously lots of close contact with sick people during cold/flu season. Our secret weapon...instant hand sanitizers! You can carry a bottle around in your pocket and use it when necessary without needing water or paper towels. Works very well, I would reccomend them to anybody in an industry with close contact with the public.

Dalmd88

Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:34 am

DL was going to have free flu shots but the program was cancelled in light of the shortage. Actually being stuck in a cabin of an airliner isn't a bad place to be during flu season. Modern jetliners have better air quality than most office buildings. The rate of air being replaced is even better than what is required for hospitals. The air also tends to just move directly from the ceiling to the floor with little foward or aft movement through the cabin. Many people believe the air quaility is poor because they think the air is never changed and that it is very dry.

Bicoastal

Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:04 pm

United, too, cancelled flu shots for employees due to the shortage in the states. However, I know cabin crew who have found shots relatively easily on foreign layovers in the UK, Canada and elsewhere.
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

wjcandee
Topic Author

Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:22 pm

When looking for flu vaccination, don't forget Omaha, if anyone is going there. For $29, which many health plans are now covering, all one has to do is go to a Kohll's pharmacy, even if you're healthy, and get a Flumist nasal vaccination administered right there by a pharmacist. As noted on my web site, Kohll's has like 9000 Flumist doses that they can't seem to sell because people in Omaha don't understand that healthy people 5-49 ARE eligible for these nasal vaccinations; they keep turning them down so that "someone more needy can have it". In fact, as those in the risk groups CAN'T receive Flumist, the health officials WANT healthy people to get them because it will cut down on flu in the general population and thus reduce the exposure to those in the risk groups that can only receive a shot! So, if you're in Omaha, and you don't have a condition that would put you at risk from Flumist, ten minutes in a Kohll's and you can be vaccinated. For what it's worth... (Meanwhile, I could only find FOUR pharmacies in Manhattan that carry it. Sigh.)

--Bill

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos