Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airplane
Topic Author

Outdated Paint Schemes

Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:08 pm

Does anyone think of any outdated paint schemes out there ?
How about Lot, Alitalia, Malev Aer Lingus..........and the list goes on......

JP

N1120A

RE: Outdated Paint Schemes

Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:31 pm

I actually think Shamrock's livery looks great, especially on their A330s. It is a nice break from Euro while (which only looks good on LH). AA's scheme is the oldest in the airline industry, but still looks amazing. I think that IB could use a change to their scheme, but would hope it was not white based. Perhaps more Orange. NW's bowling shoe scheme was looking outdated, but they have the new "silver dart" scheme that is controversial but I think is lovely. Aero California could use a change, but they have to worry about dealing with their fleet first. AM's scheme is looking a bit old as well. Air China is just dastardly, with their flagship 744s and other planes looking like crap.

yanksn4

Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:40 pm

- Air India

- Iberia

- Alitalia

- Egypt Air

DLKAPA

Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:18 pm

I think AA should go Eurowhite like everyone else  Yeah sure  Nuts

My pick goes to Air France.

N1120A

Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:22 pm

>My pick goes to Air France.<

You are right. That is a very old scheme. Then again, their paint scheme changes all the time, depending on how much dirt in on their planes  Big thumbs up.

dbo861

Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:39 pm

I preferred Airtran's old paint scheme as opposed to the new one introduced on their new 738s.

Besides that, I agree AA is LLLLLLLLLOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGG past due for a new paint scheme. Continental and Air France also top my list.

masseybrown

Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:39 pm

To me, the only bad paint job is one that is chipping off, allowing hull corrosion. Some are less attractive than others, but every ten years or so they always seem to change and I'm pretty patient.

Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:50 pm

Indian Airlines

It has the worst c/s.

LambertMan

Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:58 pm

I believe that AA's scheme is classic, right up there with TW's 96' livery and TZ's latest rendition.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Florian Kondziela

View Large View Medium

Photo © AirNikon

View Large View Medium

Photo © Alastair T. Gardiner

A319114

Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:28 pm

Martinair; the seventies are over...

View Large View Medium

Photo © Eduard Brantjes

USAIRWAYS321

Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:33 pm

1) Aerocalifornia
2) Iberia
3) American
4) Aeromexico
5) Aloha

N1120A

Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:08 pm

>I preferred Airtran's old paint scheme as opposed to the new one introduced on their new 738s.<

I think you mean 73Gs (737-700s for all you at DL). I really don't see much of a difference.

>Besides that, I agree AA is LLLLLLLLLOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGG past due for a new paint scheme. Continental and Air France also top my list.<

I think AA would be stupid to change their scheme. It is so recognizable, saves them money, and actually looks amazing (especially when the planes are buffed out). CO and AF are both Euro White schemes and actually, I think CO competes with AF for the dirty fleet prize. CO should go with some sort of royal blue, with maybe a white cheatline. AF should wrap their planes in the French flag, a bit like the Boeing 777NG scheme (interesting, 0considering AF launched the plane that had that scheme, the 773ER

RCS763AV

Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:47 pm

Air India, Southeast, Inter, AeroContinente (RIP).

ATWZW170

Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:13 pm

I know NW just painted their planes but it's gawd awful! UA's new livery is awesome, especially on the EMB 170...looks great. AA's is classic...I wouldn't change a thing. You ever watch an AA plane go by and see the sun shine off the lovely silver skin of the plane....it's awesome! Your right about Air India...their colors are terrible. Big Sky Airlines.....talk about ugly! And Greak Lakes Aviation, yuck.

airplane
Topic Author

Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:25 pm

Yeah,
Air India. I was forgetting about that one.
I have my doubts sometimes about Singapore.

Czech
China Eastern
China Southern
Martinair in deed

ATLhomeCMH

Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:30 pm

Case in point:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Snorre - VIP Vienna International Planespotters

I like their new scheme much better:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jason Whitebird

dtremit

Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:24 am

I agree that AA's scheme is classic, but I feel as if it could be "cleaned up" a bit...the gray painted tail just doesn't do justice to it, and the typeface looks a bit blocky. Since returning to a silver tail won't work, maybe a different color would help? Clearly the silver fuselage and tricolor banding should stay right where they are.

BBADXB

Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:35 am

Martinair, IBERIA, Alitalia, Singapore Airlines.  Wink/being sarcastic

NYCAAer

Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:36 am

It would be a nice if we had a change from the scheme introduced in 1968 at AA, but I doubt they'll change it for several reasons: one being that AA doesn't want to spend the money, and it is very easy to paint and maintain. The bold red "American" titles are actually a decal.

Another reason is that consumer focus groups of AAdvantage passengers were overwhelmingly in favor of us keeping the old scheme. When AA introduced a new interior in 1998, they also proposed changing the paint scheme. The focus groups were close to 100% against it.

So it stays.

But the titles do look sort of like the '70s to me.

I like Air-India's scheme even though it's old. Remember, Air-India did change its scheme to a Eurowhite with a red sash on the tail and aft fuselage in the early '90s, but people didn't like it, and the "Palace in the Sky" scheme was brought back by popular demand.

And as for Air France, didn't I read somewhere here that AF will be changing its scheme to reflect its merger with KLM, with both carriers having the same livery but keeping their own identity? I wonder what that will look like. Both the French flag and the Dutch flag are red, white and blue.

AlitaliaMD11

Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:37 am

Hey

I really feel LH AF and IB as well as MEA have outdated liverys and are in need of new ones!

View Large View Medium

Photo © Yrjö Mäkelä

View Large View Medium

Photo © French Frogs AirSlides

View Large View Medium

Photo © Cence jojo

View Large View Medium

Photo © Cence jojo

View Large View Medium

Photo © Martin West

all though it looks beautiful on the 744!

Iberia has anounced though that they will be sporting a new livery on there new A340-600s to come and other new planes, as well as some old.

ei2ksea

Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:47 am

In addition to what NYCAAer said, Landor produced a new scheme for Air India in 1989 which went down very badly indeed, public outcry, as well as political interference eventually had management renege on the scheme after almost 50% of the fleet were painted.

Quite a PR disaster, the palace in the sky scheme and the little Mahrajah returned to much applause! There was an article in Airliner World a few months back about the scheme - very interesting!

Meanwhile on the EI question at the beginning, the Aer Lingus scheme is new from 1996 and altho similar to the old one with a quick glance, its actually quite distinctly different in shading, font, logo and interior fit. Similar to Air India, there was public outcry in the media last year when EI brought out their two promotional 'dot com' schemes even though it was only temporary!

I read before also that AA once tried to lose the 'scissor eagle' from the AA logo but employee opposition had the decision reversed (dont know what truth there is in it). Personally i love AA's scheme - a welcome constant in times of change and still looking fab!

Regards
Ph

jetBlue

Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:04 am

While pointing out the beautiful and attractive paint schemes is a lot more enjoyable, here are some which I think could use a little freshening up, or updating.

Yeah, I know, I'm really picky, so there are a lot here!  Smile Maybe there will be another "Best Color Schemes" thread started. I know these threads can get repetitive, but they are always worthwhile looking through!

jetBlue

Iberia's colors are too 70's, I'm not much for the Eskimo on Alaska tails

View Large View Medium

Photo © Christoph Fischaleck
View Large View Medium

Photo © Jason Whitebird

Air India's little castle windows are just wierd, Kuwait's just plain

View Large View Medium

Photo © T Silgrim
View Large View Medium

Photo © Mark Hitzert

I'm not much for the black nose on Alitalia, Air China is outdated

View Large View Medium

Photo © Praguepix
View Large View Medium

Photo © Wanghai

Don't like the colors, What's up with that tree?

View Large View Medium

Photo © Christoph Lachmund-Sturm
View Large View Medium

Photo © Cence jojo

Too Red, Too green

View Large View Medium

Photo © Sergio Domingos
View Large View Medium

Photo © Sergio Domingos

Ewwwww, Yuck

View Large View Medium

Photo © Paul Hill
View Large View Medium

Photo © Snorre - VIP Vienna International Planespotters

OK. We get the point. Your name is LOT. CO's just too white.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Grzesiek Okruszek
View Large View Medium

Photo © Brian Casity

Hope I didn't offend anyone, I just think these could be more attractive!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

European

Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:09 am

I think that Aer Lingus needs changing but i also think that Continental should KEEP their great livery!

Anyway,

My local airline Palmair should change there livery maybe!

View Large View Medium

Photo © Stefan Welsch

European

BigOrange

Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:32 am

Slightly off topic but:

I think ALL airlines should paint all the registrations on the tail, and ALL airlines tails should be lit up so that they are easier to read  Wink/being sarcastic

Beaucaire

Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:48 am

My list of boring and outdated paints
-LH
-AF
-AZ
-IB
-Ryanair
-Easyjet
-LOT
-AI

I know it's a matter of cost - a plain white plane cost less to paint than a complex designe/pattern. But if you convert each plane of your fleet into a marketing tool it makes sense to invest a little more and get attention from people watching your plane take off ..
It is also a matter of demonstrating to the public your corporate ID via an appealing paint-sheme. Does it pay of ? Probabely yes ,since corporations pay a fortune to have their logo on a formula 1 car - so somewhere there must be a profit at the end of the line !

ei2ksea

Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:20 am

cool post JetBlue particularly on the DJ vs EI call!

lol

Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Xkorpyoh

Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:38 am

If you consider AA's livery a classic, then I would say that both AF & IB liveries are also classics. I have always loved both and i dont think they should change it. Maybe they can keep the same tail but change the white to off white or something like the new air canada's ice blue (not sure that will look good either).

I like the shinning AA metal, but I wish they changed their livery.
CO's livery looks too 90's now. The logo has been overexposed by other companies using a similar design.
The worst livery ever for me was the NW bowling shoe design. I am so happy they changed. I LOVE the new one. Continental should change it too.

Others that need to change:
- HP
- LH
- AZ
- US
- ATA
- LA
- RG
- AS

BFS

Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:01 am

The thing with IB and AA is that, despite all the schemes shown on fantasy websites, there is not one that looks better than what they have now. All the changes seem very tacky, and I think overall they have timeless classic schemes that suit them well and they would be mad to change. Same with AF. Nothing else depicts their qualities of pride and reliability as their current scheme does. These three would be mad to change their colours.

PHLBOS

Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:26 am

Others that need to change:
- HP
- LH
- AZ
- US
- ATA
- LA
- RG
- AS

US' & HP's liveries aren't even 10 years old yet. ATA just rolled out it's current livery just 3 years ago.

With regards to US, I think they have a lot more to worry about than their livery.

BCNGRO

Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:45 am

Look at these! Look really old-fashioned Sleepy

View Large View Medium

Photo © Fyodor Borisov
View Large View Medium

Photo © Pereslavtsev Alex

[Edited 2004-11-09 21:50:43]

[Edited 2004-11-09 22:11:29]

tbanger

Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:57 am

QANTAS

They have had the current scheme ever since they went from orange to red. That was November 1984, 20 years ago.

I think it is about time they jazzed up the white rat.

I don't think the QF logo is boring, but it is definately outdated.

My $0.02

JuniorSpotter

Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:42 am

I agree with BFS - IB and AA both have classic liveries that don't NEED any change. But a slight modification wouldn't do any harm at all. Hell, look at Pam Anderson - millions of "smaller" modifications, and she looks like a million bucks! Big grin

Btw - AF don't need a new livery. They just need to get familiar with those two strange substances called WATER and SOAP...  Big grin

Cheers!
Danny

Braybuddy

Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:06 am

Tbanger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That Qantas livery is a modern classic and it's hard to believe it's 20 years old. It looks timeless. The red triangle was a stroke of genius, and easily applied to everything used by the airline, from envelopes to aircraft tails.

I agree with BFS in that Iberia and, to a lesser extent, Air France, are classics. There are only so many designs that can be put on an aircraft and the triple-band stripe sweeping up above the cockpit is immediately recognisable as Iberia. It could be modified -- say the tail or the stripes, but nearly thirty years on it still looks good.

I didn't like the '96 Aer Lingus livery when it was introduced, but have grown to love it and it's too soon to change, and certainly not to the dotcom one that was tried a few years ago. May it last a few more years, and it looks fantastic when new with sun shining on it against black clouds (typical Irish weather).

European liveries that need to be changed are, as mentioned before, LOT and CSA (both badly), and also Olympic. I'm in two minds over Lufthansa, it's a classic, but it looks dated. A modification would be no harm, say jizzing up the condor logo similar to what Air Canada did to the maple leaf.

BAs flag livery is fantastic, but I'd shoot the fool who decided to put "United Kingdom" on the back of the fuselage: it kills the clean, minimalist look of the scheme. I know it harks back to the "International" scheme where the home country of the artist who designed the tail was put underneath. There's no need for it now!

The one that least needed to be changed was LAN Chile. While the new scheme is superb the old one was great.

The only American airlines' liveries that need a makeover are Delta (that curved white hangover at the front from the old scheme looks very dated),
and American itself -- keep the shiny metal and the red, white and blue stripe, but the typeface is dated and I agree with other postings about the tail. That grey kills it.

Other well known international airlines that could do with a new scheme makeover: Air India (completely new), Singapore (new - the current one is just a makeover of the old 70s one which, IMO, was better), Korean (too close to KLM and that awful typeface), Kuwait (new), Kenya Airways, Aerolineas Argentinas (where were they going with that new retro one?), and Thai, though I belive this is being changed.

[Edited 2004-11-09 23:11:09]

MD11Lover

Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:27 am

Jetblue,

The "tree" as the logo of Middle East Airlines is a green Cedar which is the national symbol of Lebanon that represents immortality. The tree is also found on the Lebanese flag.

- MD11lover

Thrust

Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:34 am

Air France by far has the most bland livery I have ever come across. Almost all white save a few stripes on the tail on the blue "Air France" tiles. In addition, I believe Air India really needs to give their livery a makeover too...paint scheme on most of their aircraft is in horrible condition. Finally, I believe that the new PIA livery has got to go....the plane is just white with a few black spots, even I could've thought of that  Big grin

codeshare

Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:48 am

LOT definately. Alitalia, Olympic (they shuold make it like the special olympic c/s), AirTran, Air India, Aerolineas Argentinas, World of TUI airlines, new Air Canada, new United, Independence Air, Croatia, JAT (new ones but they don't look good), the list goes on...

airish

Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:06 am

Air India does not need a new livery but it just needs to modernise the current one.

Airlines that do need new liveries are

TAP Air Portugal

New Air Candia it needs to look more brighter

Swiss it needs more colours added

Aer Lingus to green

BMI701EGCC

Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:24 am

Hi Guys,

Here is my list......

Air Scandic (MS WORD 2002 Livery)
Olympic
Alitalia
Air Berlin
Iberia
Ryanair
Aer Lingus
Martin Air
Air India
Astraeus
Easyjet
Cyprus Airways
Eurocypia
Balkan Holidays

The list is endless. Big grin

BMI701EGCC
Scott Waterworth

9v-svc

Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:37 am

Well I think there are a few airlines could do with a new scheme.

They are :

Air India
Air France
Lufthansa
China Eastern
DHL (the new livery is hideous)

That's about it I think.

CAL

Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:47 am

N1120a and USAIRWAYS321 you guys must just not like Silver Schemes because you both mentioned AeroMexico which just got a new scheme a few years ago. I hope your not thinking of the old one. I think the new one looks great
New Scheme--

View Large View Medium

Photo © Juan Carlos Guerra Aviation Photography of Mexico
View Large View Medium

Photo © Ismael Jorda

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ricardo Morales Aviation Photography of Mexico
View Large View Medium

Photo © Ricardo Morales Aviation Photography of Mexico

OLD SCHEMES--

View Large View Medium

Photo © Bill Hough
View Large View Medium

Photo © Johan Ljungdahl

Superfly

Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:54 am

I love the older styled paint schemes of American, Olympic, Iberia, Alaska and Southwest.

LEAVE THEM ALONE! ! ! ! ! ! !

L410Turbolet

Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:56 am

I think both AA and AM bare-metal schemes are great. If only they'd keep looking like this one all the time...

View Large View Medium

Photo © Juan Carlos Guerra Aviation Photography of Mexico

JrMafia90

Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:04 am

I would def. have to say Air India and I also have to say China Eastern Airlines. It doesn't look good on an A340-600 at all. Now Alitalia I like there'a but I wouldn't mind if they changed it maybe added more color. But if Alitalia had an A340-600 or an A38-800 their current paint scheme would not look good at all. It's not like there going to get one anyway. But I think they should get an A340-600 and a B747-400.

So my list is:
1.Air India
2.China Eastern Airlines
3.Alitalia (I don't want it to change but if they do I would like it and I would want it to cahnge if they got better aircraft.)

JAGflyer

Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:15 am

I dont like Britanica's. The queen silhouette is kinda oldish looking. AA for sure as their cheap baremetal (which is supposedly lighter, meaning less fuel) is ugly and boring. The worst of them all has to be AIR CANADA's new colors. Royal Jordanian's idea of a black and gold fuse with a little tiny crown slapped on needs to go also.

I do not get the picture on AI's tail. It looks like a thorn from a rose. Ryanair's Kilkenny and Hertz planes are ugly.

One I would not touch is Olympic Airways. Their current scheme (blue and white with the rings on the tail) looks amazing on the A340. It has to be, IMHO, one of the most beautiful planes in the air today.

[Edited 2004-11-10 01:16:37]

tommy767

Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:21 am

AIR FRANCE

Continental is getting there, but it is very clean cut. I think it will soon become upgraded to classic status, much like AA

luke777

Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:31 am

LOT had it's liveries since mid 1970s , I don't think they will change them any time soon.I think they look really good on theirs 767s.

MissedApproach

Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:22 am

I have to admit the new Air Canada scheme, while not ugly, is pretty lame. Too much hype to go with it too. We're being flogged with a bunch of tv commercials that only show an A340 for about 2 seconds- c'mon!
I like Alitalia's paint. A bit retro, but I think it looks good. The Southwest paint is a bit retro & looks awful. What colour is that, baby sh!t brown?  Nuts
Also, I prefer the 90's United to the new one- it had less white. The new livery isn't bad though.

FlyFL

Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:26 am

Someone had alluded to the fact that AA tails MUST be painted grey rather than silver. What is the technical reason for this?

LH455

Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:43 am

Even though they just recently changed it, Pakistan's new livery looks outdated-- it is too plain and the small flag on the tail lacks style.

rikkus67

Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:57 am

http://www.cardatabase.net/modifiedairlinerphotos/search/photo_search.php?id=00001240

This is an excellent rendition of a subtle change to AA's paintscheme! My only suggestion would be to keep the stripes, but just darken the blue as is suggested here. I love the much more dramatic eagle logo, and am glad the "AA" and red "American" title is gone...my only real complaint on that classic paintscheme...

http://www.cardatabase.net/modifiedairlinerphotos/search/photo_search.php?id=00001570

Although not quite perfectly done, this was my idea of a modified Southwest scheme. I am not fond of the blue, although ths slight change in the stripes is great... (ironic to this post, is the fact I had to use an "AA" tail to get the Southwest tail the right color...LOL!)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos