BestWestern
Topic Author

Aer Lingus Stays In Oneworld

Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:46 am

The Aer Lingus CEO today said that “Like everything we do, we have had to stand back and question it. [But] it is right for Aer Lingus and, subject to Oneworld wanting to keep us in, Aer Lingus will continue to contribute to Oneworld.”
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

ei2ksea

RE: Aer Lingus Stays In Oneworld

Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:48 am

Was there ever a question of Oneworld not wanting them?
Next Flight: EWR-SEA (AS), SEA-EWR (UA), EWR-SEA-EWR (UA)

anxebla

Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:53 am

It's the best decision for EI. Congratulations, Aer Lingus!
AIRBUS 320 The world's most advanced single-aisle aircraft

JGPH1A

Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:36 am

If EI continues in its downward spiral into LCC territory, OW isn't likely to want to keep them. EI brings virtually nothing to OW - they feed LHR, that's it. Their odd transatlantic services are easily replaced with own metal service by AA. BOS-DUB is an ideal 757 service.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

a300aa

Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:40 am

There was no question regarding OW not wanting them.
Aer Lingus simply evaluate its stay, and decided to remain.
Very good decision.

ei2ksea

Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:32 am

JGPH1A, other than the problems associated with the Shannon stopover, why refer to EI transatlantic services as odd? Daily DUB/SNN-JFK and BOS have been run continuously for decades with DUB/SNN-ORD and LAX as well as the new sun flight to Orlando being newer successful services linking the huge Irish populations in the US with the proverbial motherland. BWI was chosen i believe, as its classed in the bilateral as a permitted 'secondary gateway' hence the unusual choice.

Look at Icelandair maybe? Tiny population, peripheral location, MSP, BWI, MCO, JFK and BOS....Now that IS odd!

Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Next Flight: EWR-SEA (AS), SEA-EWR (UA), EWR-SEA-EWR (UA)

Eirules

Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:41 am

Very happy with this decision. Hopefully its not the only decision EI steps back and takes a look at. Stop turning into Ryanair II
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

UA744KSFO

Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:20 am

This is a good move. With the slot restrictions at LHR, EI could fill a gap with another North Atlantic hub out of DUB or SNN. Now, I don't know much about the SNN-DUB rule, but I've heard that it might be something that the Irish government might want to re-examine.

EIN145

Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:32 am

I agree that it is a very good move for Aer Lingus to remain in Oneworld. I should imagine it suits many of the other members such as BA for LHR feed and for passengers travelling from provincial airports in the UK to the US, there are regularly PAX from BHX etc on Aer Lingus services to the USA. Also EI and IB code-share extensively. It seems that EI are not the only carrier on Oneworld going LCC, IB seem to be headed the same way.

I disagree with EI transatlantic services being odd. They are very important cargo and passenger routes. The flights are usually busy and there is a great demand for them and has been. Aer Lingus have been flying transatlantic for a very long time and I imagine they will continue to do do.

fbgdavidson

Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:32 am

Well that puts a stop to BA moving its DUB routes back to LHR.

Personally I don't see EI as a major component in the OW network. BA has great European network as well as US, AA the obvious extensive US network. IB and LAN serving South America. CX with Asia and QF holding the Australasian continent. I don't know enough about Finnair to judge but have heard good things.

With EI going down the LCC route and dropping their C product within Europe it seems like they are the poor OW relation.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

JoFMO

Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:05 am

@Fbgdavidson:

The pool link in One is Iberia. On European routes EI transforms to an LCC-style procduct, but their long-haul product will still be far better than Iberia's.

northernlights

Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:11 pm

EI2KSEA,

"Look at Icelandair maybe? Tiny population, peripheral location, MSP, BWI, MCO, JFK and BOS....Now that IS odd!"

Yes you are right about Iceland´s population: about 280.000 inhabitants. But what you are forgetting here, is that FI pax consist of roughly 75% non-icelanders consisted of Europeans and North Americans. These pax are alllowed to make a free stopover in Iceland on their transatlantic journey, or can just switch planes with a minimal transfer time at KEF (which has been voted together with SIN among the easiest transfer hubs!).

Just think of this next time when you travel between the various European destinations (oops, sorry: none in Ireland!) and BOS, BWI, MSP, JFK, MCO and SFO!!!  Big thumbs up

JGPH1A

Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:22 pm

OK the adjective "odd" was miscontrued - I meant it in the sense of "relatively few" rather than "strange". Yes they have operated the routes consistently for many years, but it is still rather a think network compared to other OW members. I would agree the EI would do better if they tried to position DUB as a transatlantic alternate to LHR for people travelling from the UK regions, and from Europe, buy rescheduling flights to feed these transatlantics rather better than they do now.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

anstar

Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:37 pm

So does this mean we'll see BA codesharing with EI again on LHR-DUB?

bazzaldonbond

Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:56 pm

Aerlingus's "odd" transatlantic routes are due to Shannon stopover rule which hamstrings Aerlingus to just 5 destinations WW has stated if it is removed they have plans to open 13 US destinations which brings the total to 18 which is not "ODD".By the way no airline can compete with Aerlingus's low fares on the Transatlantic runs which can be as low as 250 euros rtn so Aerlingus would not be treatened by other airlines competing with them

anxebla

Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:32 pm

JoFMO is right, he's the most FF on the OW airlines Big grin and he has decided to stop of flying on the Iberia metal... then of to do it more than 1800 times, and always in Buz or First. Of course, it's a very very bad news for the IB management to lose a so important customer like him.
IB has failed with him... and now, when press is found out about it, the IB value on the Madrid stock exchange is a 50% less than yesterday  Crying A black day for IB
AIRBUS 320 The world's most advanced single-aisle aircraft

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos