Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MD 11
Topic Author

Oldest Jet-Aircraft Still Active (Pax/Cargo)?

Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:54 am

Hi,
as I heard that Kalitta 747 which lost an engine during flight a few weeks ago was 33 years old, I wondered, what is the oldest jet-aircraft still flying in sheduled/regular pax or cargo-service:

Could it these?:
Cargo: I know, there is an UPS 747-100 still flying delivered in
1970, as an Kalitta 747-100 from 1970 as well.
But there have to be some DC-8s around which are far more old! (How old are BAXs DC-8??)

Pax: Air Madagascar 737-200 from 1969 (dont know, if this plane is in regular service, but it exists; Line Number 204) and a VASP 737-200 also from 1969 (Line Number 169).
Perhaps a 727 from the 60s still flying with pax?

Any more informations? (Especially the oldest pax-jet still flying in regular service).

O.k., Yes, I know, some of the US-AirForce KC135 are, in part, some 40 years old and still going strong, but I am interested in aircraft in sheduled (or at least regular) cargo or pax-service.

Any informations?
Bye, MD 11

dogfighter2111

RE: Oldest Jet-Aircraft Still Active (Pax/Cargo)?

Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:58 am

I would have to say the junkers JU-52

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Stephen Fox

Mike

ltbewr

Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:11 am

As to JET aircraft - The JU-52 is a piston/prop a/c.
There a number of 727-100's and -200's, DC-8's and 707's operated by DHL and other cargo operators in the USA, Africa and elsewhere still flying. Some of those were probably made in the early to mid-1960's
There are still some 727-100's used for pax in South America
NW and Midwest Express still has some early DC-9-10's in full time pax service that were built around 1968 (?) and operated some very early production DC-9's until recent years.

dogfighter2111

Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:19 am

Sorry, i'm quite tired, so i wasn't paying much attention, but in the jet field,
i would have to say there are a few DC-8's, or John Travoltas

View Large View Medium

Photo © Neville Murphy

LVZXV

Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:55 am

CP-1223:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Sam Chui
View Large View Medium

Photo © Rodrigo Egas

This old Bolivian battleaxe is the world's oldest pax-configured Boeing still flying, and in all honesty, I cannot think of any jet-powered airliners of any make that steal the prize from this 39.10 year old Boeing 727 (ff. 05.01.1965). Less than 2 months till she turns 40, and she's still looking splendid, much to the credit of not only Boeing but also LAB's maintenance crew.

Regards,

ZXV

Edit signature

Gecko

Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:00 am

I'm not sure if when you say jet you mean turbojet/fan only or all turbine equipment.

If you mean all turbine equipment, I think you will find some old L100's, AN-12's etc. operating in Africa in particular from the 1955 onwards era. There are also a few IL-18's around that would be almost as old as those.

b727fan

Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:05 am

If I am not mistaking, IR is still flying 727 (100 & 200) as well as 737-200 and not to forget the 747s (100,200,SP) all purchased in pre revolution era (some in 60's). I think SAHA is still flying their 707's!

vivavegas

Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:12 am

YX is no longer operating DC-9-10's or any DC-9's for that fact.

NW should be in the running with the vererable DC-9 fleet they operate in fine condition, perhaps so of you NW guru's can elaborate.

Craig
MKE
MKE / EYW / LAS - The true trifecta of aviation!

Slcpilot

Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:22 am

I am not sure if either of my two nominations are still flying, or indeed how old they even are, but here's what came to my mind....

There is supposedly still a Caravelle in private service in Africa. I don't have the time at the moment to flind the details, but it's been mentioned in this forum.

Also, how about the Nimrods? Are any of them original airframes from the early 50s?

I'm not sure any privately owned military jets fit the original poster's intentions, but there are some T-33's still flying that must be pretty old as well.

Fly Safe!

SLCPilot

There are some
I don't like to be fueled by anger, I don't like to be fooled by lust...

fanofjets

Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:43 am

Although some of SAHA's 707s have the old-style interiors, these ex-CAAC airframes date from the early 1970s. Old, to be sure, but not the oldest. But what I would give to fly on one of those splendid birds. Of all aircraft I have flown on, the 707 is the one I miss most. I dream of one almost every month.

That LAB 727 shortie has to be one of the oldest jetliners around.
The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

vivavegas

Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:46 am

While on this oldest topic, I was wondering about the oldest "composite" aircraft still in service (most likely a A300?) in terms of age or cycles?

Craig
MKE
MKE / EYW / LAS - The true trifecta of aviation!

fanofjets

Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:59 am

I found one almost as old as the LAB three-holer. The aircraft is Lowa Ltd. 707-330 N88ZL:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jeffrey Groeneweg

She first flew for Lufthansa as D-ABUF, delivered on Dec. 28, 1965. Maybe we A.netters could chip in a few dollars, euros, or quid and charter this beautiful bird.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Johan Ljungdahl

The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

fanofjets

Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:30 pm

One of the oldest 707s still flying (if not the oldest) must be this Spanish AF. Currently registered T.17-2, this bird began life with TWA as N792TW, delivered on August 29, 1964.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Nacho Piédrola - IBERIAN SPOTTERS
View Large View Medium

Photo © Sergio Gava

zippyjet

Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:55 pm

View Large View Medium

Photo © Christopher Brady

ATI still flies DC 8's from BWI. Usually military charters. These aircraft are mostly cargo front two thirds of fuselage. The aft third of these birds are configured for 32 passengers plus a vintage full service galley! Seats are configured 3 x 3. The passenger cabin is that of the generic later DC 8 era. Based on the early DC 9 cabins. The crew graciously has let me check out these old gals several times. One of these planes dates back to 1968 and originally was built and operated by JAL.

While on the topic of aging airliners. Can anyone remember the year of their last flight on a DC 8 with the curtains and those Palomar Seats. Are any of those retro jets still flying anywhere?

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ellis M. Chernoff

View Large View Medium

Photo © Michael Carter

I'm Zippyjet & I approve this message!

ramerinianair

Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:49 pm

Well hate to always be right but . . .

View Large View Medium

Photo © Dan Hornseth

j/k
pretty funny though
SR
W N = my Worst Nightmare!!!!!

MADtoCAE

Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:17 pm

How old are Cygnus air DC-8's?

View Large View Medium

Photo © Marlo Plate - IBERIAN SPOTTERS

Operator!!! Give me the number for 911!!

md11dude

Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:22 am

Id think 707 right away...word has it theres a Caravelle plying the skies somewhere...and lets not forget some A/C of the russian persuation....
CP979

[email protected]

Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:25 am

Isn't there an Iranian airline which has two 707s which it uses on domestic flights? There was, anyway.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

LVZXV

Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:32 am

Hewa Bora's Boeing 727-30 9Q-CRG was the first passenger jet to fly past its 40th birthday. The aircraft first flew in February 1964 and was retired earlier this year, leaving CP-1223 as its successor.

No DC-9s are older than LAB's 727 (including the DC-9 prototype), and no passenger 707s, including those of SAHA, Sudan Airways and LADE are past 40 either (in fact, one of them is still shy of its 30th birthday!). DC-8s, ditto, although there are probably a few VIP-configured examples of early '60s-build, if you count those. Likewise, some of the RAF's VC-10s are past 40.

As far as turboprops go, there are plenty of Basley BT-67s (re-engined DC-3s) that exceed half a century, followed by a handful of F27s already celebrating their 45th birthdays, such as this one:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Rafael Augusto Reca Saumell

Regards,

ZXV

Edit signature

Braybuddy

Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:02 am

Great posting. I'll never feel uneasy flying Ryanair's old warhorses again . . .

Starlionblue

Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:43 am

word has it theres a Caravelle plying the skies somewhere...

Indeed there is. She flies for Gabon Express:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jan Mogren
View Large View Medium

Photo © Jan Mogren

Note the caption on the second pic  Big grin

A.net search for Gabon Express: https://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?airlinesearch=Gabon%20Express&distinct_entry=true

Other links:
http://home.swipnet.se/airline/gabon-thumbs.html
http://www.worldairroutes.com/GabonExpress.html
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

MEA-707

Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:46 am

Starlionblue > Unfortunately this Gabon Express Caravelle was withdrawn from sched. pax service by 2002, it went flying cargo in Angola and Congo and it was this machine which crashed in Congo around early september.
LV-ZXW > Is CATA still flying after its crash last year? I hope so ! When I was in Argentina in june 2002 I tried to get a flight on one of their Fairchilds (as I read that they took passengers on some flights) but the were very unhelpful.
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

LVZXV

Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:43 pm

MEA-707:

CATA are miraculously still around, operating just 2 of their surviving F-27Js (LV-AZV, RBO) on cargo/mail flights out of EZE, sometimes carrying passengers on the return leg. In 1996 I climbed aboard a CATA F-27 (LV-RBO) at AEP, and I must say, I have never seen a more extraordinary looking aircraft interior ever. I took several pictures, which I will try to scan and post on this site.

CATA=One of a Kind!

Regards,

ZXV
Edit signature

fanofjets

Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:59 pm

Dear ZippyJet,

I'm one of those A.netters old enough to remember flying those early DC-8s. The Series -10 through -50 had the Palomar seats; I don't know of any still in revenue service. Most of the DC-8s still flying are of the Series -60 and -70 type, dating from 1967 onward.

I flew on UA DC-8-10s, a Pan American -30, an Alitalia -40, and a Swissair -50. I used to love those cabins with their cloth curtains. As a young boy, the large DC-8 windows were also easy to see out of (I couldn't quite reach the height of the Boeing windows), but I also remember disliking the Palomar seats because of the reading light in the seatback. On night flights, my Mom in the seat next to me wanted to read, but the light was right near my pillow! In that respect, the interiors of the Super -60s were an improvement. KLM's -63s (one of which still flies for ATI, incidentally) were beautiful inside - great birds, those!

John Travolta's -138 and that Spanish AF -331 are the two oldest flying jet airliners I could find, but someone may find something even older. I'm interested to see what people come up with.

Chiguire

Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:36 pm

Indeed there is. She flies for Gabon Express:
Yes, but it was built in 1968. It´s relatively new....

This one is from 1965, one of the first ones built:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Rafael Cordero

View Large View Medium

Photo © Juan Carlos Guerra Aviation Photography of Mexico

XA-SYQ

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos