Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

cheetajet
Topic Author

NWA Recalls!

Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:01 am

It is official!! NWA is recalling 650 flight attendants and may start recruiting in fall of 2005!! We are expecting 150 on December 15 and the rest by January 15, 2005!! It's about time!
However the company IS offering 400 extended leaves. Most of the people that took the year leaves may take these again. NWA is trying to get the higher paid F/A to take leaves instead of offering a buy out package! Hope no one junior to me takes a leave...
On a happier note, Hector Adler said that Fall of 2005 NWA flight Attendants will be getting new uniforms. The first since 1991? I know this to be true because I'm in the process of speaking with marketing about new F/A wings that I designed for us. Hopefully they will accept my proposal...they are sharp....if I do say so.....
Melissa
PS Thanks to everyone for sticking up for me in another discussion! That was nice Smile
I push a beverage cart, so don't go break'n my heart!!

admluvs2fly

RE: NWA Recalls!

Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:10 am

What do the uniforms look like ,ie:colors,design. I remember that we were to have a tan like uniform with the sripes of the other carriers on the sleeve. Is that still on the table and what about the wings.

Sonds very exciting!Maybe that would explain the lack of service from our new vendor. 8 months to receive a coat.

Thanx Admluvs2fly

cheetajet
Topic Author

Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:19 am

I'm not sure what they look like, but hopefully they will let me see them when I go up to MSP to make my proposal....
The wings I designed have an oval center with 'NWA' and the cirlce and compass and a small 'Northwest Airlines' underneath it like on the plane. They are more 'feather-like' than the ones we have now. The are very nice and I'm hoping they like them too. We'll see....!!
Melissa

admluvs2fly

Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:26 am

Great news , thank you for the info. Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

JAFA

Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:24 am

Yeah, I cross my fingers that I will get off reserve. I need M, W, & F off fro school. Can't do that on reserve.
On a side note. Please tell me these new wings will be silver. After all they need to match my exlcusive DKNY silver watch and platinum ring.

NWFltAttendant

Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:20 am

Hey guys.... i already got mine... shipped straight to my house.. its a really cool looking uniform..

LETS GET REAL HERE !!!!
This rumor has been going round and round for years. The company is in absolutely no position to reuniform 10,000 FAs. Our uniform is one of the best looking uniforms in the industry. Whats the next rumor ?
Go yakkin !!!!!!

NWAFA

Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:57 am

Nwfltattendant,

Was in meetings with Hector a few weeks back, and he personally shared with me that we are in fact getting new uniforms 2005...(late 2005)..Whats going to happen is that right after the 1st of the year, they will start the process to finish the design (they started and stopped it)..then Slowly bring it on line...i.e. when we need to replace a shirt, we will be given the new style shirt...or need to new pants, be given the new pants...

He (Hector) is very open to the idea of DOMESTICALLY, not having to have a tie on for us guys...
THANK YOU FOR FLYING NORTHWEST AIRLINES, WE TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR BUSINESS!

NWFltAttendant

Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:11 pm

NWAFA....

hmmmmmmmmm.......... dont you think a uniform update would make far more sense... different style ties and scarves.. new wings (nothing wrong with the current version of either). They could makeover the uniform that way and it would be a fresh new look - and way cheaper  Smile/happy/getting dizzy It just seems like severe overkill to revamp the entire uniform.
Go yakkin !!!!!!

DTWINTLFLYER

Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:33 pm

Ah uniform rumors...it has been a while since those have come around. What happened when NW KLM Alitalia were going to all get new uniforms. All was to be the same except the color of the tie and scarf. Believe it when I see it.

NWFltAttendant

Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:45 pm

DTW....im with you re: believe it when i see it
Go yakkin !!!!!!

cheetajet
Topic Author

Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:52 am

Okay,
First, Our wings are now obsolete because of the new livery....Duh!!
Second, The guys uniform is fine. It's the females that look like we're Star Trek Extras. Plus with so many options, sweaters, tops, etc.....we're a MESS!!
A lot of us look great with what we've got, but there is a huge portion that looks dumpy and shabby!!
It's time for a new uniform!
I do agree with the saying, "I'll believe it when I see it". I'm just going on what Hector Adler said.
Now, the wings I designed are very nice and I did it to boost a little bit of morale. Yes, they will be silver.
NWA wants us to come up with ideas and that was mine, so blowing it off the way some of you did really hurt my feelings. I'm doing this for all of us. Enough said...
Melissa

N1120A

Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:03 am

While I have not had the absolute greatest experience in my limited experience with NWA FAs, I find the ones on this list to be really great. I am glad your colleagues are finally getting their jobs back. I was just thinking, NW should look to whoever designed the B6 uniforms. They are really forward thinking and look quite comfortable. Then again, perhaps someone could bring back the PSA space suits  Big thumbs up
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

jetjack74

Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:44 am

and may start recruiting in fall of 2005!!
Highly unlikely at this stage of the game. We'll still have at least 600 on furlough/CCL after this current round is completed. We may still recall more by the end of the spring. We're opening up MEM to fill some vacancies, but not very many, and doesn't guarantee further recalls. But we shall see.
Made from jets!

northwestair

Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:59 am

Well what about all of the Agnets that have been laid off. When are they getting recalled. So many stations are short staffed that it is becoming a safety issue. Try working a shift with 6 employees that's working all inbounds and outbounds. That's also processing the passenger, performing Lost Luggage duties. loading and unload the Cargo , and performing the Gtae duties. There are a lot of stations out there were this is how we have to work. So who cares about new uniforms lets get all NWA Employees that are on layoff status back to work and then we'll worry about F/A Uniforms.
I don't care who you fly just as long as you fly

jetjack74

Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:47 am

Well that would be nice, but with the high number of e-ticket users and online check-in, the gate agents jobs are being swallowed up. NW hired these skycaps back in June to check-in bags at the e-ticket kiosk in the main check-in areas and curbside. A gate agent said the other day, said that the company will probably call a few people back in the spring for temp work during the summer. Most recalls if any will be due to seasonal needs and to replace retirees, but there are very many of those at the moment.
Made from jets!

AAplatnumflier

Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:51 am

This is great news that not only NW but other Airlines are doing it too. I can't wait until the American Based Airlines start taking delivery on the planes they previously ordered and xled and the planes that they delayed delivery on!!!

NWAFA

Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:45 am

AAplatnumflier,

NWA was the only US airline Post 9/11 to NOT cancel aircraft delivery...we have been taking on many new A/C (757-300, A320, A319 and the wonderful A330, both the -300 and -200)
THANK YOU FOR FLYING NORTHWEST AIRLINES, WE TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR BUSINESS!

nwacrew

Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:53 pm

I attended a meeting with Hector Adler here at SFO a couple of months ago and he did tell us new uniform pieces were in the works.

It was my impression that the current navy, wool-blend material will be retained (because the vendor has so much of it) but that accessories would be updated and altered to match the new "nwa" look.

As individual flight attendants are eligible for replacement pieces, the new items will be shipped to them. This is similar to the way British Airways is distributing their new FA uniforms.

Thanks Melissa for your work on the new wings. I was hoping we'd go to silver, as silver-grey has certainly become our new color. (Been aboard one of the A330's?)

N1120A

Sun Nov 14, 2004 4:06 pm

>NWA was the only US airline Post 9/11 to NOT cancel aircraft delivery...we have been taking on many new A/C (757-300, A320, A319 and the wonderful A330, both the -300 and -200)<

WN did not cancel any planes, though they did delay some orders. They have taken delivery of all of them now though. Still, NW is an airline that has not double dipped into its employees pockets (preserving a lot of good will) and that should stick around for a very long time. Now, if only I could figure out who that F/A was on the LAX-MEM flight who was such a jerk, I could tell all the Red Tails here to give him hell.

jetjack74

Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:37 pm

We didn't cancel any orders of aircraft, but we did defer most of the outstanding A319/320 deliveries by a 10-18 month timeline. A330's were delivered as scheduled. The B757-300 order was modified. We originally ordered 21 753's, but converted 6 753's to 752's. Now we're somewhat licking our wounds over that.
Made from jets!

jetjack74

Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:41 pm

Now, if only I could figure out who that F/A was on the LAX-MEM flight who was such a jerk
Send in a comment card. He's giving the rest of us a bad name.
Made from jets!

Iflewrepublic

Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:27 am

The flight attendants are due for new uniforms. Though the current ones do project a professional image, updating never hurts. Melissa is correct when she says the crews are a mess given so many options. The one thing I would LOVE to see removed is the combo seen during the winter...the summer wrap around dress with a red sweater. I've felt like telling some of the girls that they look like hotel maids...and then there's the whole issue of size.

Iflewrepublic.
Aviation is proof that, given the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible.

ny-jfk-lga

Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:23 am

So recruitment in fall '05 heh? Well, after the 650 recalled, there's another 600 of us that will be still on furlough, praying. I'm literally in the bottom 5, and many times I find myself dreaming about being back at my prestigious NW. I really, really hope you're right about that recruitment.....that will mean I will be back by that time.
Bring back McDonnell Douglas & T W A!!

N1120A

Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:27 am

>Send in a comment card. He's giving the rest of us a bad name. <

He actually refused to give his name and just said "just tell them the flight number." Anyway you guys can find out?

NWADTWFA

Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:09 pm

Interesting topic...First off we are recalling 600 flight attendants total. There are 450 flight attendants returning from CCL's for a total of approx 1050 flight attendants returning to work. The company then announced approx 400 CCL's which leave approx increase of 650 flight attendants on the line. Only correcting to keep things inline and stray from creating wild rumors.

I had spoken to Hector when the A330's first came on line. In our conversation he said that we were getting new pieces to our current uniform. He described quite a number of pieces one of which was the change in the outer coat that has since taken place. Please understand that this was a conversation a while ago and this was what was being considered at the time.

Men:
New ties, new three button jackets, a vest of some sort, and the shirt would change to one with some sort of print. I suggested bringing back the plain front pants that are more flattering for many.

Women:
New scarves, new blouses, new jackets for the women (possibly without the red on the lapel), and a vest option as well.

Both men and women were to get new navy outer coat available in an all weather version or wool.

So I do believe that new pieces are on the way, I highly doubt that it is a completely new material and design as Hector told me that would cost 15 million dollars to put everyone in a new uniform.

I would be glad to see a new wing and name bar design...and I pray the men can go without their tie in the summer (please oh please oh please!)

Cheers,
NWADTWFA

ny-jfk-lga

Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:39 pm

So the rest of us furloughed probably won't get a chance to come back before our recall rights expire? This is sad.

DTWINTLFLYER

Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:42 pm

Lets not get ahead of ourselves Ny-jkf-lga....your rights are for 60 months which should take you through at least September 2006 if you were among the first to be on furlough. Who knows what will happen, you still have a good chance by then pending any other major events.

NWADTWFA

Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:23 am

Here are some thoughts...by no means does this guarantee anything!

1) NWA is recalling 600 (increasing staffing by 650) during the winter months. This is typically the slow time of the year. Summer flying is typically always busier than the winter months.

2) NWA Flight Attendants require no more than 5-10 days notice for retirement. Meaning you can submit your paperwork at the end of one month and not work the next and be officially retired. This means there is really no way for NWA to plan for retirements. The reason I bring this point up is because there are quite a few Flight Attendants that are planning retirement between now and 5/31/05. Many have bid their vacation and will be leaving before the contract expires.

3) There are 1225 currently on furlough. If you subtract the 600 you end up with 625 that will remain. That really looks good. As there has to be some that have moved on from NWA and will not be returning. I know that the first recall bid is being run today and the results will hopefully be posted today as well. I believe FED EX letters are supposed to go out tomorrow.

4) If anything happens to any carrier I would expect that NWA would involuntarily recall everyone.

Do not get discouraged. If you were furloughed in 2001 that mean that you have until that date in 2006. I would expect that aside from another terrorist or SARS epidemic, your chances are very good!!!!

Cheers,
NWADTWFA

ny-jfk-lga

Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:14 am

Thanks very much for the kind words you all. It really has me feeling better. It was such a short lived dream when I did work there for the 5 months. I was in the very first batch to be furloughed, Sep 30, 2001. It was extremely sad. It was a very busy day at MSP and after flying a D10 trip from SEA with the lovely senior ladies, which I absolutely loved flying with too. I walking off the jetway into the gate area with the flight crew, my supervisor was standing right there waiting for me, with the big letter. He immediately pulled me over, spoke to me aloud and told me how sorry he was. The crew and some passengers looked at me, and I just wanted to crawl under a rock and stay there, as every heard it all. I remember on my last flight, a grand 727 day trip to SLC........I was SO close to pouring some tears out in the lav, but I didn't. It just hurts knowing something I love so much, could be taken away from me so easily, and there's nothing I can do about it. Everyday, I'm still here dreamin'.......waiting, and hoping for the best.

JAFA

Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:25 am

I think you have a pretty good chance of getting recalled, and I hope you do. You have almost two years left and I am sure some people who are eligible for recall won't come back. Also we loose about 300-400 FA's per year for retirements, etc, etc,.

jetjack74

Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:33 pm

Ny-jfk-lga, hang in there. You might be very surprised maybe this time next year. We're all waiting here for you guys to come back Big thumbs up.

Also we loose about 300-400 FA's per year for retirements, etc, etc,.
firings.......
Made from jets!

ny-jfk-lga

Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:02 pm

You guys are absolutely awesome. If its one thing I love about NW is our people. You all are so positive, even in the worst of times. Thank you everyone. I feel that when I do come back now, I'll be feeling so guilty if I don't give you all a big hug.

jetjack74

Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:30 am

would be glad to see a new wing and name bar design...and I pray the men can go without their tie in the summer (please oh please oh please!)

I still hope we have ties, and not reduce ourselves to khakis, polo shirts, and tennis shoes
Made from jets!

ny-jfk-lga

Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:58 am

Or at least make the tie optional, for those who'd still like to wear it.

jetjack74

Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:15 am

Which includes me Big thumbs up
Made from jets!

NWFltAttendant

Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:47 pm

I wouldnt mind polos and shorts domestically in the summer..... could do a lot more and probably be a lot more pleasant
Go yakkin !!!!!!

JetSOUTHEAST

Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:23 pm

ny-jfk-lga,
Apply at AirTran, you will probaly get in. They are an airline that is actually hiring and making money. I wanted to work at NWA, but I give up, I will work for AirTran due to the poor financial peformance of all the majors.........

JAFA

Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:53 pm

I'd rather not work for an airline if the top pay is $25 an hour as a FA. I don't want to fly 100 hours a month to make a decent living and get ahead in life.

jetjack74

Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:18 pm

I will work for AirTran due to the poor financial peformance of all the majors.........
You're sure about that?
Made from jets!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos