Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dl757md
Topic Author

BD-10 Question

Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:33 am

What has to be my favorite kit plane the BD-10 had its life cut short by one or two crashes that were caused by high speed flutter. I think there are 2 flying examples left. Can anyone confirm that and provide info on the location of these surviving BD-10s?

Thanks
Dl757Md
757 Most beautiful airliner in the sky!

SSTjumbo

RE: BD-10 Question

Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:52 am

I've google'd it in quite a few times and found several links, but I believe there's only one left flying, and who knows where that's at. I'll see what I can dig up.
I don't know, so this is my signature.

dl757md
Topic Author

Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:06 am

SSTjumbo

Did you find a picture that shows the reg # of the one that's still flying? With that you could look up the location on the FAA aircraft registry search site.
http://162.58.35.241/acdatabase/acmain.htm

Actually I just answered my own question. I searched manuf-Bede/model-BD-10 and find that it is owned by Fuel Fresh Inc in Phoenix AZ. It is experimental classification exhibition category. Does that mean it is for air exhibitions or static exhibitions? Funny thing, it lists the motor type as reciprocating!

Dl757Md

sllevin

Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:50 am

Ex/Ex means the airplane can only be operated to/at/from airshows. I believe each flight and plan must be submitted and approved in advance by the FAA.

Most BD-10's were recips -- that was the big point to the BD-10 was how cheap they would be. The fact that the engine never materialized is a major factor in what killed off the BD-10.

I think only a couple were modified to jet power, and I don't know how much they actually flew.

Steve

dl757md
Topic Author

Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:03 am

Most BD-10's were recips -- that was the big point to the BD-10 was how cheap they would be. The fact that the engine never materialized is a major factor in what killed off the BD-10.

Not true. You are confusing the BD-10 with the BD-5. The BD-5 was piston powered and some where converted to the jet BD-5J. The BD-10 however was designed from the start around the GE CJ-610 turbojet that powered the Lear 23/24/25 and was to be the first kit built supersonic airplane.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © George Canciani

BD-5J

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © James Richard Covington, Jr

BD-10

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos