Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dl757md
Topic Author

Delta Pilot's Inappropriate PA Announcement

Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:17 am

On a Delta flight from SFO-SLC the other day during the pilots welcome aboard PA announcement after pushback one of the pilots made a rather disturbing comment. He said, "As you may be aware, the pilots at Delta have just taken a 35 percent paycut. So we will only be able to fly you 60 percent of the way to SLC today. We will land in Reno and you will be bussed the rest of the the way to Salt Lake City......Just kidding." My question is this, How would you feel knowing that the pilot of the plane you are on is disgruntled? Even though he said he was kidding I felt this was a totally inappropriate comment. Delta who fires FAs for posting on their personal website a picture of themselves in uniform and on duty should fire this pilot for his conduct WHILE PERFORMING his duties IMHO.

Dl757Md
757 Most beautiful airliner in the sky!

N1120A

RE: Delta Pilot's Inappropriate PA Announcement

Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:21 am

Personally, I think the pilot was hilarious. And besides that, this is an airline pilot and a member of ALPA, he will never allow his plane to be operated in anything but the best possible way to keep his passengers and crew safe. Then again, I think they should not have touched the F/A, but since she does not have union protection, they were able to do pretty much whatever they wanted with her. I personally think FL or WN should pick her up.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

LambertMan

Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:36 am

I think its just a little good humor, nothing else.

m404

Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:36 am

I'll bet (yeah I know they have no such no contract) if this had been made at WN it would be just another attempt at crew humor.

I do believe that company business is just that, Company business. If DL folds everyone will know about it anyway.
Less sarcasm and more thought equal better understanding

emiratesa345

Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:44 am

Its not the comment that disturbed me, it was the fact that the pilot couldn't subtract 35 from 100 to get 65.

Mark
You and I were meant to fly, Air Canada!

Lono

Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:58 am

At least he didn't ask for tips.....
Wally Bird Ruled the Skys!

luv2fly

Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:58 am

Well personally I would expect them to act more professional. A pay cut even though hard to swallow is still better than no paycheck at all!
You can cut the irony with a knife

jacobin777

Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:02 am

I assume he said Reno because there probably wasn't a large airport 65% of the way to the destination, so the next best thing would be Reno.

i would have gotten a "laffer" from that if I was on it!
"Up the Irons!"

DeltaGuy

Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:01 am

I think that's fuggin halarious...there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, no "lack of safety" or other safety compromising situations from that..just a little good natured humor. Deal with it. And no, the pilot are not disgruntled..just frustrated..big difference.

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

MATURRO727

Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:12 am

Hey !

Buddy! It was I little humor time ! Take it easy

MATURRO727

LambertMan

Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:16 am

At least he didn't ask for tips.....

Lono's comment brings up something that I remember from last Friday morning at IND. I was sitting in the TZ concourse watching whatever airfield action I could see, and before the Orlando 753 began boarding they were practically begging people to pay for the $40 upgrade into business class. I know that TZ is trying to save their airline, but I don't know if nagging your customers is a good way to help attract more customers. You guys can say what you want, but I would personally be annoyed as it was straight up nagging.

L-188

Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:28 am

Well his career at Delta is shot.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

NWAFA

Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:42 am

How inappropriate and unprofessional..Something you would hear on Southwest!
THANK YOU FOR FLYING NORTHWEST AIRLINES, WE TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR BUSINESS!

captaingomes

Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:44 am

The pilot's comment was not "fuggin halarious", or whatever people thought. It was unprofessional, and he should be spoken with, and perhaps a memo should be sent to all pilots indicating that such a lack of professionalism should not be tolerated. It is none of the passenger's business how a pilot feels about his pay, and there are plenty of other opportunities to inject some humour and light-heartedness. No, this pilot should not be fired, but he, and others need to be made aware of what is acceptable or not.
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

Accidentally

Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:55 am

I'd actually get a kick out of that.
Indianapolis, IN

TakeOff

Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:59 am

Uhm... it's called a "sense of humor"??????????

ltbewr

Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:16 pm

Maybe he could be somehow given a duty cycle to do Thanksgiving Eve and weekend, 12/23 to 12/27, you know those favorite days to work as a pilot. That might make him/her think twice of being an idiot. Many, but far from all pax are aware of the pay cut to pilots, but it doesn't mean commenting about it to pax during a flight time. While I understand their anger, such beheavor is unprofessional. The management of DL should make it clear to the pilots and their union that such beheavor is unprofessional, it will not be tolarated and in the end, continuing such beheavor will result in appropiate disipline as their contract allows.

2H4

Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:38 pm

How would you feel knowing that the pilot of the plane you are on is disgruntled?

Personally, I'd feel a lot safer in the hands of a pilot who is able to look at life's setbacks with a good-natured sense of humor.

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

captaingomes

Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:41 pm

Pilot pay is a very sensitive subject for many people. Some people think they are paid far too much, and as such will not appreciate them (or any other group) complaining about their pay to their customers. That is unprofessional. For other people, they believe that pilots earn every cent they make, and might feel that safety is jeapardized when costs are being cut that much.

The pilot's comments were unprofessional because of the examples I outline above, and as such should not be tolerated. For the majority of passengers, myself included, there would not be a problem, but a professional should not make comments like the one he made on that flight.
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

sacflyer

Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:42 pm

Whether or not it was funny is not the point.

The point is that the people sitting in the plane paid for their seats and to be told by a disgruntled employee, who happens to be the one responsible for their very lives, that he doesn't feel he is being paid enough to do the job professionally is not appropriate. Complaining to the paying customers about how much you are paid is not appropriate in almost any line of work.

Even though it was veiled as humor, this pilot clearly gave the passengers a piece of his mind instead of peace of mind. I think most people about to take off on an airliner would prefer the latter.
I'm just happy that RR ratings can't be in negative numbers!

pl4nekr4zy

Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:42 pm

Sheesh, TakeOff is right... sense of humor people, sense of humor. Some of you don't have one, eh CaptainGomes? Ltbewr?

And I don't think being a little perturbed about a huge paycut and making a light-hearted joke about it is being "disgruntled". I mean I don't think the guy was exactly hoping for a 35 percent paycut right before the holidays, so of course he'll be a little upset. Insane
"Don't forget to bring a towel!"

futureb6capt

Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:48 pm

Wow. Have any of you considered the amount of pilots that suffer from depression or anxiety? 21% of pilots take meds and don't put it on there medical (I read this on some AVweb survey that nearly 600 pilots took). 46% of pilots have a mental condition that they don't put on there medical in possibility that their job may be lost. I trust a pilot fully with my life-they are human you know-they have a brain like ours. I think a little humor made by a DL captain is not only very funny, but actually relaxes the cabin-not the opposite.
Just my thoughts!

-FutureB6Capt

LineMechQX

Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:50 pm

Take it easy people take it easy, its a joke, we're all human. Laugh and get over it. Not even pilots are perfect, as some of you would like to make them sound.

sacflyer

Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:53 pm

So Pl4nekr4zy,

Are you saying that disgruntled airline employees are a good thing? Remember the PSA jet that crashed in Paso Robles when a disgruntled employee shot the flight crew? How about the Fedex employee who attacked the flight crew after it took off?

Complaining to a captive paying audience about how much you are paid is unprofessional. A sense of humor has nothing to do with it! I have a sense of humor and I think the comment was hilarious, but it was not appropriate for the captain to say it.

Imagine being pulled over by a police officer and being told "Give me your license and registration or I'll shoot you!"
Could be funny, but definitely inappropriate!

I'm just happy that RR ratings can't be in negative numbers!

PIT757

Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:57 pm

I know this was a joke but that comment was very unprofessional. If that Delta flight attendant was fired for inappropriate comments than the pilot should be as well. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Paying passenger dont want to hear about the pilots or anyone else's labor problems. The pilot should of just flown the plane and kept his big trap shut!

captaingomes

Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:59 pm

Sheesh, TakeOff is right... sense of humor people, sense of humor. Some of you don't have one, eh CaptainGomes? Ltbewr?

You don't know me, so therefore you can't know if I have a sense of humour or not. To be honest, I like a relaxed, and easy going environment. I enjoy joking around, but I also believe in professionalism. Also, there's no doubt pilots, like all humans, are imperfect. It is therefore imperative that such imperfections are cut to a minimum in a professional environment. Bottom line: this is a scenario where you do not impose a level of discomfort for a minority of passengers so that the rest will have a chuckle.

AWspicious

Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:09 pm

"Its not the comment that disturbed me, it was the fact that the pilot couldn't subtract 35 from 100 to get 65."

Mark

HA HAHAHAA!!! Good call!  Laugh out loud

Personally, I think the comment was in good humour. I don't think the pilot's conduct should be called into question. I can understand your issue with the comment... You felt as though he placed undue stress on the passenger's shoulders for an issue that's between the pilots and the airline and you probably feel it should remain as such. However, with all the media attention Delta has been getting, the concessions taken by Delta staff is no secret. If passengers are concerned about Delta's staff's attitudes and responsibilities to their duties they can always fly with another airline. Clearly, the passengers on your flight didn't have such concerns when they booked their flight... Nor should they now after hearing the pilot's humourous comment :-]
Nevermind political correctness - Envision using your turn signals!

filejw

Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:17 pm

I plan to stand in the cockpit door and say goodbye with my hat out to see if maybe the satisfied passenger's will make up the difference.Should I make a sign board or bring a monkey that plays music?

AWspicious

Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:59 pm

I think you should skip the monkey. It'll only eat into your earnings  Laugh out loud

[Edited 2004-11-14 05:59:41]

zippyjet

Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:02 pm

BFD! So the captain used a little humor. There is too much political correctness and not enough common sense in today's society. As one poster said, being part of the ALPA and an airline captain, I personally can't imagine him/her pulling any shenanigans that would put fellow crew members or passengers in any danger. Now, if he felt Rootey Batootey
psycho who plummeted his Egypt Air plane into the Atlantic was a hero or martyr then, maybe there would be some merit to censuring him, caning him or whatever the hell holier than though DL feels destined to do. Get a life people! Or how about move to the Mid East where if you say the wrong thing, they chop off your balls and feed it to the goats!
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

chgoflyer

Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:16 pm

He should be fired now.. not tomorrow.
Will someone please wake me up in 4 years

regional757

Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:29 pm

hehe. Take the joke and move on. It was funny. No need to look to much into a comment like that. I had flight attendant sing a goofy like song at the end of our flight over the PA. Does that mean she's goofing off on the job? No. There just keeping a good sense of humor about a 35% paycut. Personally I think its a good quality to see in a pilot. 'Shows he can handle himself under pressure. But then again that's just my opinion.

RogerThat

Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:41 pm

It shows he's got no class. Casual discussions about salary are in bad taste. Just because its funny doesn't make it acceptable. What's next? Bathroom jokes from the cockpit. Let's hope the Chief Pilot takes him to the wood shed.

bigb

Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:41 pm

As you may be aware, the pilots at Delta have just taken a 35 percent paycut. So we will only be able to fly you 60 percent of the way to SLC today. We will land in Reno and you will be bussed the rest of the the way to Salt Lake City......Just kidding."

In my opinion, it doesn't sound like he is complaining.

AWspicious

Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:44 pm

I've noticed some of you making assumptions that the pilot was disgruntled. Displeased, yes... Who wouldn't be when their salary is slashed. But, not disgruntled. I think if he really was disgruntled he wouldn't even want to talk to the passengers.
DL757Md; How was the flight? Was the service good? Smooth landing? Fine - Then, the pilot wasn't disgruntled (as some seems to suggest). He was merely cracking a joke. Sometimes, even proffessionals can have a sense of humour. It's the guys who hold it all in that we should be worried about.

andrewuber

Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:45 pm

That was not a joke. It was bad feelings run amuck. Totally unprofessional, and in poor taste. He should be so lucky as to be able to keep his job - even at a measly 65% pay (which will hardly qualify him for food stamps). There are plenty of pilots working the sales counter at Home Depot and Radio Shack these days for $8 per hour. If he doesn't like the paycut, then quit your job - and your whining - and go fly cargo in Metro III's again.

Some people are so quick to say "Oh it's just a joke - it was just a funny situation". Some things are inappropriate to joke about. Ever heard anyone say "Hey, there's a bomb up here!!! OH wait - I'm just kidding!!!". Also not funny. I'm not saying these two "jokes" are the same - what I'm saying is that not every comment is funny. And frankly, I highly doubt he was saying what he said just to be humorous. He wanted to share his bad opinion of DL with the passengers and other crew members. What a great leader. Yet another straw on DL's back.
I'd rather shoot BAD_MOTIVE

pl4nekr4zy

Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:50 pm

Sacflyer, please read my post again, lol. No, I am not saying disgruntled airline employees are a good thing. I don't think the captain we are discussing is disgruntled at all. He's just a little upset, understandably. I mean if someone took away 35 percent of the money you were making, would you be happy about that? I wouldn't think so. But to say this guy is disgruntled based solely on the comment he made is quite a stretch.

CaptainGomes, you're right, I do not know you. And you are right again, I do not know if you have a sense of humor or not. But I do know that you aren't having much of a sense of humor about this situation. So forgive me if I inaccurately judged a personality trait of yours.
"Don't forget to bring a towel!"

avek00

Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:53 pm

I sincerely hope that Delta management becomes aware of the situation, and takes action against the offending pilot. The comments made were absolutely unacceptable - regardless of the pilot's feelings on the contract, it's not an issue that is to be discussed with the passengers, period. Luckily for the pilot, he will probably get support from ALPA in any disciplinary action - had a FA made a similar announcement, he/she would have been fired post haste without recourse.
Live life to the fullest.

irishjohn

Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:02 pm

I guess since I do not work in the airline industry I have a slightly different view on some of the issues raised in this forum!! I do, however, have a sense of humour, I understand what fun is and I am a professional!!

So, I think that:

1. The comment was without humour!

Where is the humour in being told someone's personal, obviously unhappy, circumstances?

2. Can not see what was funny about the comment!

What's funny about knowing that the individual responsible for your safety is unhappy with his employer?

3. The comment was seriously unprofessional!

Where does it say that paying customers get abused by the staff - no matter what the circumstances? In my business I would be fired, without hesitation! The customer/client is God!!

4. There is a question of judgment!

Judgment is a major factor in the life of a pilot - sound judgment that is! I would question this pilot's judgment skills!!

I would imagine that to understand the comment better we would need to know what the salary/package was and how much the 35% represented. I suppose it would not be helpful to say that in many other industries when there is no money in the kitty, or the company is running bankrupt, the job would cease to exist! I think the comment does provide us with some insight into what has become a seriously disfunctional, and partly unmanageable industry! Are airlines run for the benefit of the employees or the general paying public?????

And before anyone has a go - I may not be in the industry but I am a member of the paying public, with probably not less than 35/45 flights each year (for the last 15 years, at least!!)

J

wjcandee

Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:25 pm

Personally, I think that it's tacky.

emiratesa345

Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:37 pm

"It shows he's got no class."

...and speaking/writing the way you just did shows the same about you.

People,

All of us here know that flying is the safest mode of transport. So why is it, that you insist on writing shit like "the pilot who is responsible for our lives"?

When you get on the city bus do you preach shit like that too? "The driver who is responsible for our very lives".

Of course not, so stop being friggen ridiculous.

Mark

You and I were meant to fly, Air Canada!

irishjohn

Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:42 pm

EmiratesA345

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones!! At least his language was polite!!!

And delighted to hear that bus drivers in Canada are paid the same salaries as pilots!! Canadian pilots mustn't be too happy though, especially to hear their skills are assumed similar to those required for driving busses!!!

J

NWA

Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:54 pm

"That was not a joke. It was bad feelings run amuck. Totally unprofessional, and in poor taste. He should be so lucky as to be able to keep his job - even at a measly 65% pay (which will hardly qualify him for food stamps)"

Too bad pilots don't get paid through insurance. I LOVE how you can even suggest that he should not be upset until he is in line for food stamps. An airline pilot should make HUGE amounts of money OVER that line. They have a very good point to be pissed. He was telling a joke. Keep in mind people, pilots are the first at the crash site...their own...Your Safety was NEVER in ANY kind of harm.

"When you get on the city bus do you preach shit like that too? "The driver who is responsible for our very lives"."

Dumbest comment I have ever heard on this website. Those buses are advanced, right? I can't even believe you have the gull to compare the two to be honest with you.
23 victor, turn right heading 210, maintain 3000 till established, cleared ILS runwy 24.

AWspicious

Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:55 pm

Hey, our Canadian bus drivers are safe! Never hit anybody in a long time... In spite of their pay! Right, Mark? (heh heh)

[Edited 2004-11-14 07:56:12]

nosedive

Sun Nov 14, 2004 4:05 pm

Lets put it this way.... at least you were listening to him, unlike many people on any given flight!

A few of my favorite "dark humored" comments:

NW: "Ladies and gentlemen, before we begin taxi we up here in the flightdeck would like anyone who is sitting next to an empty window seat to please occupy that seat so as the competition thinks we're full."

F9: "In the event of a water evacuation, or an in flight pool party, your seatback can be used as a floatation device."

andrewuber

Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:31 pm

NWA-

Did I suggest that he shouldn't be upset about taking a 35% pay cut? Absolutely not. Don't put words in my mouth that I did not say (and then paste MY text over the top of yours while doing it). Get your facts straight. I'd recommend reading my post several more times - perhaps you'll eventually get it. I said a 35% pay cut HARDLY qualifies him for food stamps. This means that I know he would NOT be on food stamps at 65% of his normal pay. You follow?

What I AM saying is that he shouldn't complain about it to his paying passengers and fellow crewmembers while on the job. Anyone with class, business sense - or even common sense for that matter will agree.

Frankly, I think the pilot who said that should be serving me my french fries next time I'm in drive-thru. That seems to be more his level. I would expect to hear him grumbling about having to stay a half hour late to take apart the shake machine. When you pay peanuts - you get monkeys.

"Dumbest comment I have ever heard on this website. Those buses are advanced, right? I can't even believe you have the gull to compare the two to be honest with you."

It's actually spelled G A L L. A GULL is a bird.

[Edited 2004-11-14 09:33:54]
I'd rather shoot BAD_MOTIVE

ORD777

Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:43 pm

Seriously dude, take a chill pill. How would you feel if your salary was cut by that much? You should be happy for him that he can maintain at least the slightest sense of humor in lue of his company's current situation. If you're really that personally affected by his statement then you should be a little more compasionate. Just relaxe and worry about your own life. And besides, it's actually really funny.

PhilSquares

Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:54 pm

While I don't think the cockpit is necessarily the best place to voice your frustration, I sympathize with DL's pilots.

I was on a layover in an unnamed city in Europe last week and ran into some DL crew, we happen to stay at the same hotel. The results of the election hadn't been announced. However, there is more than just the pay cut. The changes in work rules are all across the board. Most of the DL pilots I spoke with were under the impression if the vote passed, there would a large furlough because of the work rule changes.

I don't envy them. It's not a good position to be in.
Fly fast, live slow

boeingfever777

Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:00 pm

What a funny comment. I feel for the pilot I took a 20% cut when I was stepped down as a manager so I know how he feels.

How inappropriate and unprofessional..Something you would hear on Southwest! No, I think you would hear this at NW.

STOP bashing the competition.  Angry

BoeingFever777,
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre.

bigb

Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:17 pm

Clearly everyone who thinks the pilot is complaining can not understand what the Pilot said. The joke shows no signs of complaining.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos