Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jake056
Topic Author

Does Turblence Ever Worry F/A's?

Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:46 am

I've seen several posts since I joined anet about PAx worrying about turbulence. What may be a totally normal bump, or series or bumps! to F/A's may seem routine to them but worisome to the PAX. No news there.

But I am curious about the F/A perspective. Are there ever times you are personally worried? I mean, aside from the normal worry about PAX safety, securing the cabin, and calming pax concerns, will we be delayed, etc.

Civvy here, just curious.

thanks!!

flybyguy

RE: Does Turbulence Ever Worry F/A's?

Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:07 pm

I'm not an F/A, but I too worry about turbulence when walking around the cabin. I am more worried about the sudden drop type of turbulence that sends everything including unfastened passengers into the ceiling.

Every flight has choppy air at one point or another, but worries of sudden drops keep me seated and tightly fastened. I'm not going to risk getting my neck broken by strolling through the cabin like I'm on the ground... heck no!
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

IslipWN

RE: Does Turblence Ever Worry F/A's?

Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:21 pm

What are the chances of that ever happening? Now you got me thinking about that Flybyguy.

Joe

DfwRevolution

Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:37 pm

Most of the time my flights hit turbulence, the FA's are usually most worried about not spilling the drink they are holding and/or falling into someone's seat. They fly so often I think the common fears of injury go over their heads most of the time.
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.

NWFltAttendant

Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:39 pm

As far as im concerned, i only worry about people that ignore the sign and what can happen to them. All we are required to do is make the announcement and inform passengers who ignore the warning. Beyond that, im not chasing some knuckle head around the plane. Ill have a seat myself and enjoy the ride. One particular time I was seated in 26D (last aisle on the A320) and this girl got up when we were in really bad turbulence, and the FA across the aisle in 26C and I ended up holding on to her in the aisle  Nuts When you see the entire crew is down, GET THE HINT. We are highly veteraned with turbulence, and know what we can get away with - so have a seat.

As far as being worried about the safety of flight - NEVER. The aircrat isnt going to fall out of the sky. Ive been in some really nasty turbulence and never been worried for the aircrafts safety.
Go yakkin !!!!!!

UALFAson

Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:01 pm

My mom once told me that whether it's turbulence, bad weather, or some sort of emergency, never worry unless you see the flight attendants starting to worry.

Thought that was pretty funny until one of my closest buddies whom I told that to when we went to Europe was on a flight that had to dump fuel and make an emergency landing because they couldn't get the landing gear down. He was all being the brave one in his family and calming down surrounding pax until he said he saw one of the F/As fighting back tears as she taught people the brace position. Then he started to freak out and think it was all over.

(Fortunately, it ended A-OK.)
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

Hardkor

Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:38 pm

I remember being on an AC flight from YYZ-YVR in 1999 (762). About an hour out of YVR, the passengers began smelling smoke in the cabin. The F/O then came back to inspect the situation, and a male flight attendant started going through the overhead bins while armed with a fire extinguisher. A lot of people were freaked out, along with two flight attendants who were holding back tears in the rear of the aircraft while trying to comfort each other. Just because F/As fly a lot does not necessarily they are more immune to fear than any other passenger. The flight landed safely without incident. Probably the worst experience that I've had in aviation though.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos