ContinentalEWR
Topic Author

Prestwick Airport

Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:04 pm

Just curious, but why did most scheduled flights get transferred from Glasgow Prestwick to Abbotsinch? Is it a distance thing? How does the city support two airports? Is Prestwick that far from Glasgow?

I remember my family once travelling from GLA to BOS on NWA DC10 in the late 1980's.

Please explain.

StevenUhl777

RE: Prestwick Airport

Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:12 pm

I believe it is pretty far away from downtown Glasgow, though I don't know the exact distance. That is most likely why GLA is used as opposed to PIK. PIK is older and the terminal is pretty small and run down (I was there in mid-July) and is primarily a low-cost carrier airport for Ryanair and I think Easyjet also.

Prestwick is really close to the Royal Troon golf course, near the town of Ayr, in Ayrshire. In fact, during the tournament this year, BBC showed a 747 taking off right over the course! When I arrived there on 14th July this year, my Uncle and I saw all the traffic on the way in before the tournament started.
And the winner for best actress is....REESE WITHERSPOON for 'Walk the Line'!!!!!!!!

COSPN

Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:30 pm

Yes PIK is located on a Golf Course in Ayr but Scottish Rail has a train into GLA they even give you have off when you show your boarding pass so the Scotts are doing theie part to keep the Airport Going..The days are long gone when it was required 365 days fog free. diversion airport..

Now'days they can do a Zero Zero landing at LHR and there are many other airports like GLA and EDI closer to town..the train ride has nice views of the Scottish Contryside.. Smile

gkirk

Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:15 pm

Prestwick is roughly 40 minutes from Glasgow Central by train (about 40 miles Southwest)
Glasgow Airport is not connected to the City by train (you have to go to Paisley I think and get a bus), but is much closer to Glasgow, roughly 8 miles NW of the city.
PIK is served mainly by Ryanair, although BWIA will be starting a weekly A340 flight soon.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Ratypus

Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:23 pm

I've flown through PIK a couple of times - it is a very small airport...just a few gates that can fit the pax for a 737...standing for the most part! Used by Ryanair as their 'Glasgow' airport, and other flights to holiday destinations. Probably no business travellers to speak of.

PIK is also a long way from Glasgow - it was very convenient for me as I was travelling to Ayrshire itself: PIK dropped me right where I wanted to be; but not really a valid alternative to GLA - despite valiant efforts by the Scots to keep transport links open. My girlfriend once flew to PIK when she needed to be in Glasgow city, and decided she'd rather have paid the extra money to fly into GLA!

In summary, PIK's location and facilities mean it is not suitable for handling large passenger jets (cargo - fine, pax facilities are lacking), and will not attract much interest from high revenue business pax. Great for leisure flights and serves a beautiful corner of Scotland though!

ManchesterMAN

Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:24 pm

I think the reason the flights were transferred is that PIK was once the designated transatlantic gateway for Scotland and flights from GLA were not permitted due to this regulation. When this stupid rule was abolished thats when everything got shifted to GLA which is where the airlines would have always preferred to operate from. I think some charter airlines even started the flights in GLA, then made a brief stop in PIK before crossing the pond. I suppose its a bit like the rule they have in Ireland with Shannon.
Flown: A300,A319,A320,A321,A330,A340.A380,717,727,737,747,757,767,777,DC9,DC10,MD11,MD80,F100,F50,ERJ,E190,CRJ,BAe146,Da

N863DA

Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:52 am

Of course, let us not forget that Prestwick has major service from just about every major transatlantic cargo carrier...

Polar, Air France, Martinair, Cargolux, JAL... they all fly in there on a regular basis, in addition to many Atlas aircraft, flying on behalf of other carriers, and various smaller carriers.

FLY DELTA JETS

N 8 6 3 D A

Crosswind

Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:06 am

Prestwick was the dedicated Trans-Atlantic gateway for Scotland - enforced by regulations similar to those which existed in Ireland at the time regarding Shannon - all Trans-Atlantic flights were obliged to use Prestwick as their entry/exit point.

When Air Europe commenced Trans-Atlantic flights to Florida in 1988 with a Glasgow-based 757 they were forced to operate GLA-PIK-BGR-MCO-BGR-PIK-GLA!

In 1989 Air 2000 ran a campaign in Scotland to drum up support, and took the government to court over the Prestwick rule. Once they had won their case, Air 2000 were able to start direct Trans-Atlantic flights from Glasgow - and other airlines like Northwest were able to transfer their services shortly afterwards.

Regards
CROSSWIND

StearmanNut

Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:28 am

Funny thing I noticed about Prestwick is that there is a separate secure departure/arrival area for Belfast flights only. It makes me think of bomb sniffing dogs and extra metal detectors.
If wishes were horses, a Tail Dragger I would fly...

diesel1

Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:43 am

Thanks to Crosswind and ManchesterMAN for their accurate and relevant replies - it's worth pointing out however, that the Trans Atlantic flights were the last of the scheduled flights still using PIK as many of the schedules were long established at GLA. These were the domestic and European flights as they were not required to operate from PIK.

In answer how to the question how did the city support two airports - Glasgow didn't really warrant two airports.
That PIK survived was due to the Trans-Atlantic ruling and the cargo services, and these were supported by PIK's use for crew training and the BAe production facilities - in addition to this there was a small amount of IT flights thoroughout the year, and the use of the airport as a staging point for Trans-Atlantic services where refueling or crew break time was needed
I don't like signatures...

gkirk

Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:51 am

"Funny thing I noticed about Prestwick is that there is a separate secure departure/arrival area for Belfast flights only."

Whats extra funny is that the Gill Airways flights to BHD stopped years ago. It was operated 2 x daily using Shorts 360s

ScottishLaddie

Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:59 am

In answer how to the question how did the city support two airports - Glasgow didn't really warrant two airports.

After all the airlines moved to GLA, and before FR or anyone set up shop, I believe the PASSENGER throughput at PIK got very low, 0 in fact?

gkirk

Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:28 am

SL, close, not exactly 0. But I believe less than 250,000. Still had a few charter flights  Smile

BFS

Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:12 am

StearmanNut,
In fact in most UK airports they appear to have separate facilities for Belfast and often all Irish flights, north and south. I wonder for how long this will remain the case. Indefinately I should think...

kkfla737

Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:58 am

Prestwick is right by Troon which causes trouble in the Open rota every time the event is held at Troon. It's like the Tennis US Open at Flushing. I believe Northwest flew PIK-BOS at some point in the mid to late 80s. Is this correct?

gustyorange

Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:10 am

NW flew PIK-BOS before transferring to GLA once this became possible.

GLA now has scheduled flights to ORD, EWR, and PHL in the US along with service to most Canadian airports.

BOS and ATL are rumoured for next year with AA and DL respectively.

Cheers

Gusty

AV8AJET

Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:57 am

BOS and ATL are rumoured for next year with AA and DL respectively.

Would AA use a 752 to BOS do you think? I would automatically assume a 763ER for DL to ATL. I have wanted a ATL-GLA-ATL flight for years!!! I hope that one happens!!
"To fly or not to fly there is no question!"

Ryanair737

Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:08 am

I visited Prestwick Airport in July, it really does need a makeover!  Big grin

MyAviation.net photo:
Click here for bigger photo!
Photo © Daniel Smalley
MyAviation.net photo:
Click here for bigger photo!
Photo © Daniel Smalley

Ryanair737
LAST FLIGHTS= Ryanair LPL-BGY-LPL - EI-DPS/DWV - MAY 08 // NEXT FLIGHTS= TBC

dogfighter2111

Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:12 am

Prestwick airport is massive, but it's only Ryanair with scheduled flights but charter flight are operated with Air 2000 and other airlines. It is really only cargo flights that operate from PIK. Before GLA, every transatlantic flight for Scotland arrived and departed there.

diesel1

Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:16 am

Daniel

Would you be happy if the cost of upgrading PIK was passed onto you, the passenger in the way of increased charges to FR (or whatever airlines were using the airport) who then increased fares?

The point is that PIK is successful by virtue of its ability to charge the airlines less.
Upgrading costs money - and someone somewhere along the way has to pay for this - ultimately this is going to be the passenger

What was wrong with PIK, and did it affect you to your detriment?
I don't like signatures...

dogfighter2111

Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:21 am

PIK is to far from Glasgow, a lot of people wouldn't travel all that way for just a flight.

Runway31

Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:43 am

40 minutes by train is no longer than a lot of airports. It take about the same time for instance to get from Stanstead into London. Large numbers travel from Scotland to Newcastle or Manchester for flights so I think that people will travel some distance to get the flight they want at the price they want.

Prestwick has more scheduled european destinations than Edinburgh and Glasgow combined and another 3 are planned to start up in the spring. This along with the BWIA weekly Barbados flights, the Air Caledonian start up and I believe some more to come are to be welcomed not only in Ayrshire but throughout Scotland. Each new destination also gets free return rail travel throughout Scotland for the first 6 month and 50% reduction thereafter.

A few years ago under BAA mismanagement hardly any passenger passed through now it is 2 million annually and expected to reach 4 million in a couple of years.

The owners have recognised that some refurbishment is required and £3 million is being spent on the facilities before the end of the year.

A vibrant airport whether it is Prestwick, Glasgow or Edinburgh bringing in visitors should be welcomed by all.

[Edited 2004-11-18 22:53:06]

Christa

Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:55 am

BMIbaby and Air Wales also fly to PIK from CWL with a codshare using ATR42-300's with 4x daily flights..

Regards,

Christa
Croeso i Faes Awyr Rhyngwladol Caerdydd - Welcome to Cardiff International Airport

mhodgson

Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:43 am

>40 minutes by train is no longer than a lot of airports. It take about the same time for instance to get >from Stanstead into London

And who is STN's primary user?  Wink/being sarcastic
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

ScottishLaddie

Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:17 am

Prestwick has more scheduled european destinations than Edinburgh and Glasgow combined and another 3 are planned to start up in the spring.

Only because they have no choice but to allow FR to take them for a ride. They don't make any money out of them, but I guess they rely on the passenger throughput?

gustyorange

Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:33 pm

AV8Jet,

Rumour has it AA wil operate a 757 on GLA-BOS. I'm not sure about DL but one would guess a 763 !

Cheers

Gusty

gkirk

Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:03 pm

ScottishLaddie, now now dont be jealous because PIK is doing better than EDI  Big grin
I suppose you aint gonna say that FR are taking EDI for a ride by flying to DUB from there? Also you wouldnt say that if FR moved their Scottish base from PIK to EDI  Big grin

N1120A

Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:18 pm

Um, considering PIK has the longer runway, it is better suited to many ops than GLA, especially those charters. Also, don't a lot of people from Edinburgh use PIK, as well as Glasweigans?
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

gkirk

Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:27 pm

N1120a, yes quite a lot of people from Edinburgh use PIK due to Ryanair's cheap fares  Smile

ScottishLaddie

Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:36 pm

N1120a, yes quite a lot of people from Edinburgh use PIK due to Ryanair's cheap fares

Who would be that desperate to get a cheap fare!? Not me that's for sure.....  Yeah sure  Big grin

GKirk, PIK is getting £3million spent on it( pretty much good for nothing these days, but I'd make sure that most of it was spent on the check-in area), EDI is getting almost 100 times that. LOL  Big grin
I would GKirk, I would. It's not the airport I have a problem with, it's the owner.  Big grin For the record they are also taking STN for a ride, have they ever paid back those unpaid landing fees? I doubt it!

[email protected]

Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:40 pm

Who would be that desperate to get a cheap fare!?"

The 27 million people who fly FR every year. In fact, the numbers flown increases every year. So evidently quite a few people are "desperate."
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

ScottishLaddie

Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:42 pm

Note the smilies [email protected], I am one of those people!  Insane  Big grin

[email protected]

Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:45 pm

I know.

My nose is bleeding.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos