Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

EZYAirbus
Topic Author

Mystery Chinnok Lands In Hemel Hempstead

Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:58 am

Tuesday night I heard what sounded like a Chinnok helicopter over my house, local website now confirming it was a Chinnok no ideas why though!

http://www.hemelonline.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=841&ArticleID=890011

SPOOK HELICOPTER IN NIGHT LANDINGThursday, November 18: Stunned locals could not believe their eyes when a Chinook helicopter landed in Gadebridge Park.
Drinkers spilled out of pubs and cars halted in the road when the huge twin rotor machine set down in playing fields off Gadebridge Lane on Tuesday evening.
A crowd gathered as the Chinook, a model generally used by the military, waited for five minutes on the ground with the rotors turning as a mysterious vehicle drove up to it in the darkness.
The helicopter then swept up into the sky and was gone in the direction of Potten End.
Chris Minnighan, of Piccotts End Lane, was just climbing into his car at home when he saw the dark machine arrive from the direction of Luton and hover over the village.
He then followed the helicopter as it turned on a searchlight that shone over the playing fields before it landed.
"It did a massive circle over Piccotts End, shined its light on Gadebridge Park and came down in the middle of the football pitches," he said.
"There were no lights on. It came down quite stealthily. It was absolutely pitch black and if it were not for the tremendous noise you wouldn't have known it was there.
"Six cars stopped and there were 15 people near me who were watching. It was quite unnerving.
" I suppose the helicopter could have been from the Army or RAF. I believe members of the Royal family are sometimes flown in Chinooks."
Staff and customers at the nearby Marchmont Arms first knew about the helicopter when there was a tremendous noise and the windows of the restaurant started shaking.
Deputy manager Tony Watts said: "It was a military-style helicopter and must have been pretty low because it was very noisy. We ran out to see what was going on. The helicoptor landed in Gadebridge Park and was there for about five minutes. Someone got out and was shining a searchlight around. I was about 100 or 200 yards away and it was pretty windy because the rotor blades kept going until it took off again.
Police confirmed they got a call at around 8.30pm from a member of the public about a Chinook helicopter landing in the park.
Spokeswoman Claire Ling said: "The community team do not know anything else about it or why it was there."

Glenn
http://www.glenneldridgeaviation.com

rwylie77

RE: Mystery Chinnok Lands In Hemel Hempstead

Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:10 am

How bizarre! I lived in Hemel Hempstead for 15 years and didn't see a single Chinook! Certainly sounds unusual!

cainanuk

Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:20 am

Sounds like something out of the ANdy McNabb book Dark Winter!
Cainan Cornelius

planespotterx

Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:12 am

Apparently the queen has had a meeting with some high-profile guests at Windsor Palace, maybe picking up a VIP or some head of state to transfer onto Brize Norton perhaps?
Its not the fall that kills u, its the sudden stop at the end..

[email protected]

Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:24 am

Jacques Chirac is in town, he's a guest with the Queen at Windsor Castle.
In Arsene we trust!!

gkirk

Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:26 am

I wouldnt call Chirac a VIP though
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

EZYAirbus
Topic Author

Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:31 am

I highly doubt its anything to do with VIPs besides Hemel is around 35miles from Windsor Castle or anything to do with the queen and any transfer wouldnt be a public park!

Glenn
http://www.glenneldridgeaviation.com

NBGSkyGod

Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:34 am

sounds like an urban spec ops exercise, we do them in this country every now and then. there is a rumor they are going to be doing one here in New Olreans in the very near future with a bunch of marine aircraft. Assulting buildings downtown and what have you.
Pilots are idiots, who at any given moment will attempt to kill themselves or others.

N754PR

Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:46 pm

Very, very odd sounding. Could it be a VIP in trouble or a member of the Royal Family that needed to be moved....

Bush, your a sad, sad man.

rwylie77

Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:04 pm

Trust me, you don't get many VIP's in Hemel Hempstead! Sounds as though it maybe an excerise or possibly some anti-terrorism activity?

Must agree as well with GKirk - Chirac was probably welcomed by a London taxi driver.

pilot kaz

RE: Mystery Chinook Lands In Hemel Hempstead

Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:05 am

Ahhh this was in the paper today!

I saw this (heard it coming) and was very confused, but I knew it was a Chinook by the sound, I rushed outside and saw it fly over hover for a moment and then fly towards Gabridge way. Was very confused about it :S
-

cannibalz3

Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:48 am

I don't know in this particular instance, but I will confirm that here in the US exercises are done this way occasionally. There was a big flap recently in Asheville, NC when a bunch of special ops helicopters mock-assulted a building downtown one night, scared the hell out of a lot of people. MH-53s pounding around, MH-6s flitting all over the place, very impressive display of power. I didn't see the actual assult but I sure as hell heard them on the way there.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos