Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

trickijedi
Topic Author

Someone Hacked Into Philippine Airlines WebSite

Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:41 pm

Weird.

Looks like someone hacked into Philippine Airlines' website. Once you click on http://www.philippineairlines.com, instead of the homepage being displayed, you will see a black background with the words "Kernel Attack" written in red grafitti.

Someone must not be a PAL fan.  Insane
Its better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than be in the air wishing you were on the ground. Fly safe!

trickijedi
Topic Author

RE: Someone Hacked Into Philippine Airlines WebSit

Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:45 pm

Here's a screen shot of it.
Its better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than be in the air wishing you were on the ground. Fly safe!

gotAirbus

RE: Someone Hacked Into Philippine Airlines WebSite

Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:43 pm

Let's count the hours till this problem is fixed....

(gotAirbus?)
(gotAIRBUS?) - (Got Commonality?) - (Have A Nice Flight!)

RupesNZ

Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:16 pm

Not done by a terribly clever person, seems they have just linked the image too their geocites web site

http://geocities.yahoo.com.br/kernel_attack

777ER
Head Moderator

Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:41 pm

What does Kernel Attack mean?
Head Forum Moderator
[email protected]
Flown: 1900D,S340,Q300,AT72-5/6,DC3,CR2/7,E145,E70/75/90,A319/20/21,A332/3,A359,A380,F100,B717,B733/4/8/9,B742/4,B752/3,B763,B772/3, B789
With: NZ,SJ,QF,JQ,EK,VA,AA,UA,DL,FL,AC,FJ,SQ,TG,PR

AFROTC

Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:01 pm

Didn't the Airtran website get hacked into at one time?
We've Been Looking For You, United States Airforce, Cross Into The Blue!

N754PR

Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:23 pm

This and any other hacker should be locked up for years for doing this kind of stuff.
Bush, your a sad, sad man.

767-332ER

Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:29 pm

The importance that airline websites have nowadays...in terms of financial benefits in reservations, etc...this person should be locked up and sued by Phillipine Airlines' lawyers.

I agree with the geocities account, extremely clever  Insane
Twinjets...if one fails, work the other one twice as hard!!!

crazyboi

Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:37 pm

Just because the image links to a Geocities site does not mean that the offending IP can necessarily be traced. A good hacker can get around such issues.

As for the legality of this, I personally don't believe that making money is the most important, nor the most socially significant ambition in the world. I believe that hacking has a place in our culture for social and political expression. Now, I don't think this is an example of thoughtful hacking - I think it's just some loser having a bit of fun - but to say that hacking is inherently illegitimate fails to acknowledge the practice in its more positive dimensions.

There will always be a place for subversion. Hegemony is a dangerous balancing act.
This is the time. And this is the record of the time.

trickijedi
Topic Author

Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:43 pm

Well it's been more than 24 hours later and the site now appears to be down. Perhaps they are rectifying the problem at this moment. My first thought whenever I see or hear about airline sites (or merchant sites) being hacked into is how vulnerable these sites truly are. Subversion is certainly a possibility - maybe it's an inside job or done by someone who has had previous employment with PAL's web department. Anyway, think of the multitude of information such as credit card info (supposedly encrypted?) and other vital data (ie. possible access to flight schedules and times, etc) that could potentially be compromised as a result.

Another good point is the revenue that is lost as a result of the downtime caused by the attack.

Crazyboi, I'm trying to follow your rationale. Are you saying that it's completely acceptable to perform hegemomic acts as long as it's done to, in this case, websites that don't involve making money, or sites that don't see money as the ultimate goal, thus subduing the legalities of the act and it being accepted as a perfectly normal for of political and/or social expression? Because if that's the case, then I don't think it's necessarily a very healthy way to express one's self and one's stance on money-making businesses. I myself don't see money as "the most socially significant ambition in the world" as well however I don't think my way of socially expressing myself should come at the expense of others.

arkhem

Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:04 pm

It's probably someone in the Philippines, they have pretty liberal laws on computer hacking. Or they used to...

arkhem

crazyboi

Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:54 pm

Hi Trickijedi,

I guess I don't totally understand your question. Web hacking is usually anti-hegemonic, challenging the predominance (hegemony) of an organization, or individual, or ideology. The Philippine Airlines website, of course, does involve commerce and I do think that it's unfortunate that the airline would suffer from this sort of senseless (literally) action.

I'm just saying that we live in an age in which it's increasingly difficult to challenge big business and big government in North America. I don't necessarily appreciate the things that hackers do, but I'm glad that the internet is not immune to this element of counterculture. I certainly don't condone hacking that's intended for stealing money or information.

I guess my piece was mainly directed at N754pr's comment. I'm just saying that not all hacking is the same, and not all hacking is done for the same ignorant or criminal reasons.
This is the time. And this is the record of the time.

Airbus Lover

Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:01 pm

I think many of the world's hackers or developers of deadly viruses are now hired by big name IT software development companies writing codes. This reminds me of the person who wrote the CIH virus (Taiwanese dude) and I believe after being tracked down the Taiwanese gov't commended him and some company offered him a job or something along this line.

RupesNZ

Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:13 pm

777ER - a Kernel is the core of a computer systems operating system, typically on a UNIX based system, a "Kernel Attack" would be some form of interference with these procedures.

In the case of this site, it's just the name that the lame assed hacker has chosen to "brand" himself as

777ER
Head Moderator

Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:38 pm

RupesNZ
Thank you for explaining what it means Smile
Head Forum Moderator
[email protected]
Flown: 1900D,S340,Q300,AT72-5/6,DC3,CR2/7,E145,E70/75/90,A319/20/21,A332/3,A359,A380,F100,B717,B733/4/8/9,B742/4,B752/3,B763,B772/3, B789
With: NZ,SJ,QF,JQ,EK,VA,AA,UA,DL,FL,AC,FJ,SQ,TG,PR

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos