Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

wingnutmn
Topic Author

Goose/Baron Midair Collision Photos!

Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:59 pm

I got an email from my dad that shows 3 pictures of what is left of a Beech Baron that had a midair collision with a goose. It ripped the roof right off the plane over the right side of the fuselage. I have a problem though. I don't know how to get the pictures up on this site. They are a jpeg, so if someone could help me out, I would love to show these pictures!

WingnutMN
Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing! It's a bonus if you can fly the plane again!!

pilottim747

Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:40 pm

If you want to e-mail them over I can put them up on my website and like to them here. Anything to help out a fellow UNDer.

pilottim747
[email protected]
Aviation Photographers & Enthusiasts--Coordinate your life.

bananaboy

Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:13 pm

The Cessna pilot was killed?

That's terrible. Looks pretty nasty to me.

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

Blackhawk144

Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:47 pm

Wait, if the pilot was killed, how'd it get on the ground ok?

Anthony
Time is the best of all teachers. Unfortunately, it kills all of its students!

JetCaptain

Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:22 pm

"The Cessna was destroyed, and its airline transport certificated pilot was fatally injured. The Beech was substantially damaged, and its private pilot received minor injuries."

dl757md

Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:23 pm

Wait, if the pilot was killed, how'd it get on the ground ok?

The Baron is the plane in the pics. The pilot of the Cessna(plane that collided with the Baron) was killed.
757 Most beautiful airliner in the sky!

corey07850

Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:45 am

I would certainly not call these pictures "Awesome"....

BIGBlack

Sat Dec 11, 2004 1:17 am

Yea if no one was hurt maybe. But a death is a sad day.
Someone special in the air

AGrayson514

Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:09 am

Awsome doesn't mean great or good, it means awe inspiring...in either a wonderful or an awful way. I'd say these pictures should be enough to cause awe and instill a certain respect for aviation.
Give a little bit...

wingnutmn
Topic Author

Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:16 am

I didn't know that it was a midair collision, all I got was the email with the title goose and baron collide in flight. Sorry for the loss of the pilot of the C180. I still think that the pictures are awesome though. It is amazing to see that baron still landed.

WingnutMN
Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing! It's a bonus if you can fly the plane again!!

JAGflyer

Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:24 am

LOL!! I thought you meant an animal Goose hit and damaged that Cessna! Boy am I stupid!
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

alberchico

Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:34 am

Awesome is a horrible word for a accident that resulted in a loss of life.I'm sure that the people who knew the deceased would not appreciate your calling it awesome Pissed
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

OPNLguy

Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:36 am

From the last line in the NTSB blurb...

"The Beech pilot observed a dirt airstrip near his location, and he made a precautionary landing."

Well, duh... With the new big gaping hole in his aircraft, it's not like he'd have thought "Oh, I can probably make it to my destination like this..."  Big grin
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

bigphilnyc

Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:38 am

Well, I think it's pretty obvious that among the surviving pilot's injuries were at least a bad head gash, as you cna see the blood on the back of the left seat.

-Phil
Phil Derner Jr.

Blackhawk144

Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:38 am

I looked at the pictures too quick. Doh! Sorry about that, try to not let that happen again. I know what the Cessna 180 looks like, I even got a chance to fly one during a flying lesson. It was a dumb mistake, and I should've recognized it. Please don't argue over it. You can delete it if you want.

Anthony

MD11LuxuryLinr

Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:47 am

JAGflyer, I thought the same thing.. Big grin

As far as awesome being used in the title.. The word doesn't always have to be used in a positive way. The definition of 'awesome' is a condition of causing awe. I was awed and amazed by those photos. Sad though.
Caution wake turbulence, you are following a heavy jet.

flyingchoirboy

Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:01 pm

AGrayson, that comment of yours, however true it may be, is quite inappropriate. I don't comment on many of these topics (especially not complain) but that comment was out of line. Whoever put that name on the topic should be ashamed of themselves.

May the victim who died rest in peace

N766UA

Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:59 pm

Always a good reminder to keep your eyes out for traffic!

hmmmm...

Sat Dec 11, 2004 1:12 pm

N766UA, you're a GA pilot. That is something I would like to know: What keeps GA aircraft like these two apart - other than luck that's not supposed to run out? Is it just scanning the horizon and hoping that you don't get ambushed by another plane sooner or later? How effective is that?

It must be hard to see tiny dots on the horizon, especially if they are in the sun, off to the side, in the distant clouds, behind you, whether they are climbing, descending, what altitude they are at, or if you can even tell at all which direction they are going. I don't know why mid-airs don't happen everyday among these little planes, especially considering that air routes would tend to group them together along certain paths.
An optimist robs himself of the joy of being pleasantly surprised

Blackhawk144

Sat Dec 11, 2004 1:34 pm

I agree with Hmmmm... fully, there are so many distractions that you just cannot look all around all of the time.

Anthony

N766UA

Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:28 am

Actually, there are techniques one must practice both during the day and at night that enhance one's ability to spot traffic. Using peripheral vision is one method, as is "quick scanning" where you look 10 degrees at a time rather than just a smooth scan all the way around. Pilots are taught that it is difficult to see traffic if you're looking right at it.

However, apart from being in controlled airspace, luck, fate, and a watchful eye are about all that separate aircraft.

hmmmm...

Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:39 pm

Thanks 766UA, that's about what I thought. Yikes.

In southern California, they call some heavy traffic areas "Indian country" because of the multitude of small aircraft buzzing about with such names; Seminoles, Warriors, Commanches, Apaches, etc.. Don't get scalped like the poor sucker in this thread. Be extra careful out there. But I guess that's the insidious part of the danger. That even if you are properly vigilant yourself, there are scenarios where the blindness of another pilot negates your vigilance - and kills you anyway.

An optimist robs himself of the joy of being pleasantly surprised

cedarjet

Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:48 pm

What can make it difficult to spot other traffic is that someone who's on a collision course won't move in relation to you - so the more dangerous your respective trajectories are, the harder it will be to detect with a v1.0 eyeball. A moving target will get your attention, but won't be as likely to become a danger.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos