Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ANCFlyer

RE: AA - Food Again On Domestic Flights (over 3 Hrs)

Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:05 pm

Posts 46 thru 49, concur completely.

AA is cheapening their product. Many VVFFs will bail out. AA better watch themselves. CO is still the king . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

jcs17

Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:24 pm

ANCFlyer, CO was the king, until they decided to get cheap with their FF program and raise EQS fare requirements. I'm not flying CO/NW/Skyteam in 2005 for that reason (I'm not saying they'll miss my business or anything). I bet you a lot of business travelers feel the same way, many companies require their employees to travel with the lowest booking class availible, and those travelers won't be too happy that they will be unable to accrue segments on discount fares. Do I like CO? Yup. I think they have a superior product as compared to most other majors, but CO's FF changes have made me switch to Star Alliance (I have a glimmer of hope that UA and AC will be around still in six months).

As for the rest of the debate, it all comes down to brand image. If frequent travelers feel that they can get the same cruddy level of service from an LCC, then the only thing holding them back from switching to a LCC is the frequent flyer program of the major. All the legacy carriers are doing are shooting themselves in the foot by diluting their service to the point where a LCC is not only a financially viable product, but also offers the same lack of service. What I would be interested to see happen is an airline offered full hot meals during meal hours on flights longer than 3 hours and offer snacks (and by snack, I mean a sandwich or something to that effect) on flights from 1.5-3 hours. Market the hell out of the service, advertise it, let people know that there is still a full-service airline in existance. People might bitch about the quality of airline food, but the fact that just that it is even offered gives passengers the idea that the airline is superior to that of an LCC.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

AnsettB727

Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:45 pm

That settles it: I'm just going to pack a picnic basket next time we fly to London. British Airways, if only you'd give me my frequent flyer points on my QF card, I'd be back in your arms before you could say "Alcoholic drinks are for sale at $5 each".

TACAA320

Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:47 pm

"You always love IB, but guess what? If IB, service is superior to AA, then you are blind."

As767400

Who's the blind? Can't you read the title of this thread? Is in bold!

It's about AA not TA or IB...  Wink/being sarcastic

And yes, I like IB [there is nothing in writing about taste]. Whether you like it or not.
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

AA767400

Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:17 pm

TACA320, I read you the first time, So why do you have to restate again? I respect your opinion that AA, "sucks". Now you have a nice day. Ciao!  Smile
"The low fares airline."

TACAA320

Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:34 pm

Same to you Aa767400.

Ciao a te  Wink/being sarcastic
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

YVR2SAN

Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:02 pm

Airlines are a transportation bussiness and not in the bussiness of feeding people.

Yes airlines used to have meals but that is in the past, passengers will not pay the fares to have more service.

Now why should an airline be obligated to feed you on a flight of a few hours? Amtrak is too a transportation bussiness and they dont provide free meals, you have to purchase them. So what is the difference if an airline charges extra for food?

Back in the old days air fares were high, flying was a luxury. Flying today is the same as taking the train in the past.

Whisperliner

Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:17 pm

yea, AA to me has always sucked. I flew them when they gave out meals and they were terrible- bag o crap. I avoided that problem by flying TWA. good food great service, now that is a true legacy airline...well that option is gone now. Stupid AA....

so anyways. I will vote with my pocket book. I refuse to fly them. If they dissapear, so the better. They went down hill ever since they started taking the "Luxury Liner" titles off the planes....

I flew UA from LAX-JFK, I got an appetizer of smoked salmon then the main entre (roast beef). It was great, and the FA's were really friendly. Compare that to AA, on the same route...(circa 2000) crappy cardboard box, apple, cold sandwich some chips. Now they are making u pay?? HAHAHAHA...

I really don't know why ppl defend them, even though it seems like it is the ppl that work for that that defend them. Maybe they should stop saying how this isn't the 60's and its basic transportation. I am sure there are plenty of ppl that don't feel that way and just avoid them period. That probably will affect their jobs...so if they know how some of us feel (like reading this forum)- maybe they should bring it up with management.

qqflyboy

Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:10 pm

The turkey wrap being offered in the BOB program is currently offered in first class on our light lunch flights and is wildly popular. It is far better than the Bistro. Thank god there won't be anymore of that.

Whisperline: The cardboard box you spoke of on AA was the SECOND meal service, intended as snack before landing. Did you forget you had a hot meal before that?

And, IMO, satellite TV is great, but first run movies are great, too. I can't tell you how many movies I get to watch on AA that I missed in the theatre. Satellite is good for short flights, movies are better for long.
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

ckfred

Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:52 am

YVR2SAN:

Before Amtrak, the railroads never had free food. But a typical dining car only recouped about 50% of the cost for a trip (food, cooks, waiters, etc.). I believe that Amtrak does include complimentary meals for first class (parlor car or sleeping car).

Whisperliner:

The only airline that had better food than AA was DL, but that was back when DL had full breakfasts, including grits, on ORD-ATL.

The German chocolate cake that was served in first class was better than what I got at the German bakery where I buy my bread and doughnuts. The only bad food on AA is the damned bistro bags. The Purdue turkey is pretty good, but I always get soggy bread and sorry excuses for lettuce and tomatoe.

The best one was went the bistro boxs used to be put in the jetbridges. When the temperature at ORD was below 0, the bananas froze.

TACAA320

Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:39 am

"Before Amtrak, the railroads never had free food. But a typical dining car only recouped about 50% of the cost for a trip (food, cooks, waiters, etc.). I believe that Amtrak does include complimentary meals for first class (parlor car or sleeping car)."

Why compare AA with Amtrak? Do it but with another U.S. carrier, e.g. CO!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The German chocolate cake that was served in first class was better than what I got at the German bakery where I buy my bread and doughnuts. The only bad food on AA is the damned bistro bags. The Purdue turkey is pretty good, but I always get soggy bread and sorry excuses for lettuce and tomatoe [sic]."

I respect your good or bad taste for chocolate cake, but you can't compared a meal made specially at a bakery, with other made for thousands for ANY carrier in the world.

ANCFlyer

Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:24 pm

Now why should an airline be obligated to feed you on a flight of a few hours? Amtrak is too a transportation bussiness and they dont provide free meals, you have to purchase them. So what is the difference if an airline charges extra for food?

YVR2SAN . . . Just a quick clarification for you . . . .

Amtrak does in fact feed it's passengers for FREE, if they are sleeping car passengers. They go even further on the Coast Starlight LAX-SEA (and visa versa) with the Pacific Parlor Car, reserved only for sleeping car pax, quite first class, wine tastings, afternoon snacks (and not the airline issue bag of peanuts either), morning snacks, etc.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

ANNOYEDFA

Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:23 pm

I can't believe people are arguing and bickering about BOB. It's a joke. I wish at my company they would get rid of meals on short flights because people don't appreciate them. We serve on all flights at meal time the shortest flight being 1:30 mins..... EWR-CLT......... Although, I enjoy the meal service people always have something to say about it. So why not place a better meal product on board and give the option to buy? I think it is great.

I think First Class/Business First should always have the top amenities. Coach I don't think they should. I think meals on flights 3 hours and over is fine. Free entertainment and a over all comfortable airline. On the whole European/Asian airline thing. When our government starts paying for everything then you can expect to have the service most of them have. Until then like a few of you told the FAS on here "Bring a bag lunch" follow on!
"TWA... One Mission, Yours."

RMenon

RE: AA - Food Again On Domestic Flights (over 3 Hr

Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:54 pm

I think First Class/Business First should always have the top amenities. Coach I don't think they should

Then pls tell revenue and yield mgmt people to not charge top dollar for coach seats (Y, B, M, H fare classes).

The real problem here is that post-9/11, legacy carriers are appealing to the lowest-common denominator - Ma and Pa Kettle on $200 fares. I have news for you, legacy airlines will NEVER have the cost structure to compete effectively with the LCC's for this business!

The only way AA and other legacy carriers are able to offer these fares is because of the business traveller sucker who paid $1500 for a 2 hour flight in coach. Continue to cut service and FF benefits for these business travellers and either go out of business or truly become an LCC. Its not just about food, but MRTC, seat blocking for elites, co-pay for intl upgrades etc etc... No special meals for people in First class? even fricking TransMeridian airlines offers free hot-food....

UA744KSFO

Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:56 am

"People compare American carriers to foreign carriers....Why? In the U.S., we don't have the same crowd as abroad. You guys keep saying that BA, has a meal on a 45 minute RJ flight. Well guess what? We are in America, not Europe! Americans, want CHEAP FARES! QF, serves meals on short 45 minutes flight. Well guess what? We are not in freaking Australia, where you have two freaking carriers to choice from."

When QF codeshares with AA, that implies that I can expect the same service that I am used to on QF when I fly on a flight bearing the QF code.

Maybe Qantas should rethink who its US based code-sharing partner should be.

AA 777

Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:01 am

When QF codeshares with AA, that implies that I can expect the same service that I am used to on QF when I fly on a flight bearing the QF code.

It does? Since when?

[Edited 2004-12-30 01:03:26]
A320

AAplatnumflier

Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:04 am

Also may I add that AA is probably the best choice for QF because of the non LCC airlines AA is the best. HAHA you should see what these American Airlines have to offer. Or more like what they dont have to offer.

ctbarnes

Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:15 am

LRTC? having to pay for food now? Yup, AA is certainly moving in the right direction when it comes to customer service.  Nuts

Charles, SJ
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

JBLUA320

Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:24 pm

JCS,

If your talking about the cut to 50% elite bonus on discounted coach fares, I am pretty sure its been bumped back up to 100% for 2005. Whether or not they extend it into 2006 is something we'll have to wait and see about.

In terms of BOB, you cant please everyone no matter how hard you try. If pax dont get a meal, they bitch about no food. If pax do get a meal, they bitch about how bad it is.

If there is a middle ground to be had, the airlines can sell the meals (without ripping off the customer) and serve pretzels to those who decline the meal. Its something...but if your not willing to pay for the meal, then atleast you ARE getting something.

Just my opinion..

JBLU