Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AA767400
Topic Author

Who Still Serves Peanuts?

Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:01 am

I know WN still serves peanuts, but what about other U.S. airlines?

Apparently AA, stopped serving because of passengers with allergies. If that is the case, then what did these passengers do before? Plus many products on board contain peanuts in them.
"The low fares airline."

GuyBetsy1

RE: Who Still Serves Peanuts?

Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:53 am

Alaska Airlines, Singapore Airlines...

PPVRA

Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:31 am

Delta will always serve peanuts...
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

WeAreUnited

Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:25 pm

Alaska did serve peanuts. They took them off just recently for what they call "break." We'll see if they bring them back. I certainly hope they do. The new Cheddar Snack Mix things are not good.

meister808

Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:39 pm

Well, NW does not. However, they serve those tasty little Spinzel butter pretzels that are almost as good, so I can forgive them.

-Meister
Twin Cessna 812 Victor, Minneapolis Center, we observe your operation in the immediate vicinity of extreme precipitation

UA772IAD

Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:42 pm

UA does in F and C class. They're pretty good, especially since they serve them warm. The food allergy is an issue though. I remember 2 years ago I was flying on UA1260 (DEN-IAD), B777 100% full. I was in C class, and I remember the purser coming on the PA saying that they could not serve any nut items on the flight because one passenger had an allergy. That meant no warm nuts in F class, and no "snack mix": pretzels, peanuts, almonds, cheddar piece bits, in C or Y. My mom, who was on her special atkins-like diet, cound't eat her sunflower seeds (and that was all she had with her). The crew seemed annoyed because they knew pax would be upset. Incidentially, the person with the nut allergy was in row 43, the last row, and we were told, up in row 11, that we coundn't eat our peanut butter sandwiches. I bet that person felt like crap knowing that EVERYONE else on that flight was pissed with them!

TrappedinMKG

Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:53 pm

Hey Meister808 (and other Spinzel fans):

http://www.snack-o-rama.com

Spinzels by the truckload!

United1

Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:14 pm

UAIAD772:
I bet that person felt like crap knowing that EVERYONE else on that flight was pissed with them!

They may have felt like crap but I bet they still felt better then they would have going into anaphylactic shock Smile
Just as a question to anyone reading this post.... Do other people understand how serious this allergy is? Its not like getting a hive or two or just itching from a bug bite. I have a nut allergy, if I happen to accidentally ingest any amount of a nut my windpipe starts closing off and I start having chest pains. I get a trip to the emergency room for a few shots and a steroid pack, its not at all pleasant. I'm fortunate that I only have this reaction if I ingest a nut others simply react to it by being near it (touch/smell).
On aircraft I typically bring my own food on board just because I don't want to take the chance that something I eat has nuts in it which would cause a MAJOR in flight issue.

Anyrate enough of my rant back to the topic on hand.....

Chuck
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

Qantasflyer

Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:33 pm

Qantas have a habit of serving peanuts with most beverages.

Regards
Qantasflyer That's the spirit. The Spirit of Australia!

NWFltAttendant

Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:55 pm

NWA does peanuts in the international markets... much more space friendly for tightly packed galleys.
Go yakkin !!!!!!

NumberTwelve

Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:57 pm

@Qantasflyer - QF is serving peanuts? When I was in Australia the Macadamia nut was that cheap (and best nut ever). They should serve Macadamia nuts even if it's a little big for a beverage-snack  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

But isn't QF Australian and not US-carrier?  Wink/being sarcastic Same as SQ is from Singapore and not the US?

[Edited 2004-12-23 09:58:39]
signature censored by admin - so check my profile

DeskPilot

Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:05 pm

For anyone who saw the Daredevil movie, the character "Bullseye" was pretty talented with a packet of peanuts on a flight !
By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

BA380

Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:45 pm

had cashew nuts on BA recently
cabin crew: doors to automatic and cross-check...

MAS777

Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:59 am

Malaysia Airlines still does although they also serve Japanese crackers as well and it can be a mix of either on any particular flight.

Starlionblue

Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:08 am

Incidentially, the person with the nut allergy was in row 43, the last row, and we were told, up in row 11, that we coundn't eat our peanut butter sandwiches. I bet that person felt like crap knowing that EVERYONE else on that flight was pissed with them!

Well, I bet that person didn't feel like crap. It's not his/her fault exactly. Also, peanut dust carries well and the air circulated around the cabin. Peanut allergies are not to be trifled with, and tend to be much worse than nut allergies. Peanuts are technically not nuts btw.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

AnsettB727

Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:10 am

The fact that many non-US carriers still serve nuts is rather telling. Whilst I fully admit there are some people out there with some very serious nut allergies, I think a lot of people like to get on the bandwagon, and have a bit of a nut allergy themselves. The fad has not caught on in Australia, yet...

uswyjer

Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:26 am

WN serves honey roasted peanuts, which are pretty good. US and AA (my two main airlines) now serve pretzels, Snyders and Rold Gold; respectively.

Starlionblue

Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:27 am

Whilst I fully admit there are some people out there with some very serious nut allergies

Just a point of order. Peanuts are not nuts. They are peas.

Nut allergies, even severe ones, don't normally act up unless you actualy ingest the nuts.

Peanut allergies, on the other hand, can act up in severe ways even if the person only breathes in a small quantity of peanut dust.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

soups

Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:27 am

on a recent flight LHR-LAX on BA they said they stopped serving nuts due to people with nuts allergy.
Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos