MainRunway
Topic Author

No Way The Survivors On "Lost" Would've Survived..

Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:22 am

the tail section of what was a big twin jet, 767, 777, A330 , ETC. breaks off at cruising altitude and people survive the free fall from 30 thousand or more feet!! Right, sure, that could really happen....NOT!!!

david b.

RE: No Way The Survivors On "Lost" Would've Survived..

Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:27 am

That is why its call a movie  Insane
Teenage-know-it-alls should be shot on sight

Newark777

Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:36 am

I think one of the situations people have come up with is that they all died and are in purgatory. That would explain their existence on the island. But I agree that they would definitely not have survived that crash.

BTW Two other things I found wrong about the crash: the engine was still running pretty well after it had crashed onto the beach, and the plane was still pretty intact, considering it fell from cruising altitude. Anyway, I still love the show.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

david b.

Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:41 am

Yea, upsidedown turbofan running at what seems like 90% N1.
Teenage-know-it-alls should be shot on sight

JINX

Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:29 am

Remember the stewardess that survived a 33,000ft fall after plane break up, an thats a fact. If i can dig up (excuse me) find the details i`ll post them.

dtwclipper

Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:32 am

JINX:

I believe she was an F/A on JAT in the late 60's or early 70's.

dtwclipper
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

sterne82

Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:36 am

She was a F/A on a JAT flight which have been destroyed by a bomb in the 70's. It was a flight from a nordic country, I think.

It was a DC-9 and she was sit in the tail section, the plane have crashed in northern part of Czech republic. She was the sole one to survive (in bad shape, I must admit) the crash, but I'm not aware if she's still alive now or not.

Regards,

Sterne

727LOVER

Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:42 am

the tail section of what was a big twin jet, 767, 777, A330 , ETC. breaks off at cruising altitude and people survive the free fall from 30 thousand or more feet!! Right, sure, that could really happen....NOT!!!

Uuuummm.....yeah......this show premiered back in September...you're just realizing this now??????  Confused
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

legendDC9

Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:42 am

As unbeliveable at it may sound, the story on "lost" still makes more sense than the show "LAX".

KL808

Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:58 am

The F/A on that JAT DC-9 was Vesna Vulovic.

You can search for her name on a search engine and can read her story of how she survived.

Very interesting story indeed.

Can u imagine surviving a fall at 33000 feet?

Drew
AMS-LAX-MNL

wdleiser

Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:06 am

Hey... one lady on that PanAm flight that blew up over Lockerbie survived the initial explosion and crash on the ground, she had a pulse but died 10 minutes later after being found. So it's not impossible but highly unlikely... but hey it's TV and TV likes to exagerate things.

Newark777

Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:45 am

I think we can say it is impossible, though, that about 50 survive, and they are in good enough shape to walk around, with their only injuries being scratches and bruises.

As unbeliveable at it may sound, the story on "lost" still makes more sense than the show "LAX".

It is more realistic for the passengers on "Lost" to survive than for a 727 to fly non-stop from LAX to the Middle East.  Big thumbs up

Harry

hirisk

Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:42 am

did a google on this one.she isn't the only one to survive a fall like that.however,that would be one hell of a ride!i wouldn't wanna take that ride but sometimes i guess you dont have a choice
happy contrails

N863DA

Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:32 pm

I have to tell you, regardless of the aviation inaccuracies of, "Lost" (for example, the above error and the fact that, if flying SYD-LAX, you go almost over the top of Fiji - and they claimed they were 1,000 miles off course attempting to get to Suva), I am TOTALLY hooked on the show.

There are some quite big aviation errors in the show (such as the engine revving heavily, once the aircraft has crashed, adn the manner in which it subsequently explodes), but the show itself is a very cleverly-constructed show, that is surprisingly consistent in its portrayal of events (although not just aviation).

One surprising accuracy is that, despite some aviation discrepancies, all parts of the plane that are located around the island (cockpit, fuselage, engines, wings) and everything that has shown up on the island (not the in-flight scenes) are consistent with an L-1011.

For images of the aircraft, etc., you can visit http://www.lost-media.com/ - it's a really good site but, if you're as hooked as I, be careful as there are multiple, "spoilers" on the site that give away the storylines of upcoming episodes.

And of course, there's the in-flight scenes that seem to use a mock-up (or real life) 747 or some stage variation thereof. They're all consistent, but obviously are not the same as the L-1011 interior of the crashed airplane.

FLY DELTA JETS

N 8 6 3 D A

katanapilot

RE: No Way The Survivors On "Lost" Would've Surviv

Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:17 pm

AMAZING show, i love it.

but yeah...the aviation aspect was hard for me to get over. kind of silly ha ha.

spacecadet

Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:33 pm

I don't think you can definitively say that nobody would have survived a crash like that. Many plane crashes do have multiple survivors, and in many cases in a crash with no survivors, a pretty large percentage of deaths are caused by burns and smoke inhalation, not impact. So if the plane breaks up in the right way such that certain sections of it are not engulfed in the fuel fire, those people could survive.

If the engines had stayed attached it's possible that it would not have been in freefall. Without the elevators and airplane will tend to pitch up violently, stall, then repeat that process, but if there's still power it's possible that the plane could hit the ground at or near the "ebb" of one of those oscillations. Of course, with no tail fin either, the plane would yaw all over the place, so it would be strictly down to chance.

The one crash I know of that was similar to this one was in the 1960's or 1970's... a Continental 707 that had its aft lavatory bombed, which resulted in a separation of the tail section. In that case the explosion and breakup itself caused the airplane to initially pitch down violently, which ripped all of the engines off the wings. Because of that, the airplane literally fluttered to the ground almost like a leaf. It hit the ground basically intact, and upright, but very hard. There were some initial survivors, but I think all but one died shortly after the crash (more may have survived if it didn't take emergency crews something like 3 hours to reach the crash site).

The thing that I find unbelievable about the show is not that there were survivors, but that a bunch of people died, and then a bunch of other people survived with no injuries! (In fact one guy even had his injuries healed!) Now that's some luck. Ok, I haven't watched many episodes, so maybe there are some injured people I don't know about, but in the episodes I saw everybody was walking around like nothing had even happened. Not impossible for a few people, but 48 uninjured survivors? Damn.

I guess that's probably why some people think they're in purgatory. That's about the only explanation that makes sense.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

yhz78

Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:59 pm

The whole point of this show is that the unexplainable keeps happening. 50 people survive an unsurvivable crash, a crippled guy all of a sudden can walk again, 16 year old radio signals and a massive monster of some kind existing but never seen on the island. Don't try to explain it just enjoy it.
Canada Rocks! From the west coast to the best coast!

boac707

Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:02 pm

Maybe they just landed on a really really soft spot on the beach....well look at the bright spot at least 300 didn't "survive" they limited the number to 47 (the pilot got eaten)

smokey classics to the end of time

bucky707

Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:07 pm

its a TV show. My god, don't you have more to worry about than this?

Newark777

Sat Dec 25, 2004 1:23 am

I don't worry about it, I just think it is interesting finding all the little inaccuracies and errors in the show that other non-aviation buffs might not see. Anyway, I love the show and I'm hooked on it too.  Big thumbs up

BTW Does anyone know of any shows or movies that do a really good job of accurately portraying aviation operations and accidents? Most shows I see now have at least a few mistakes in them.

Harry

MD11Engineer

Sat Dec 25, 2004 1:39 am

I´ve head stories about a British WW2 Lancaster tail gunner, who fell to ground from 25.000 ft (terminal velocity will be just the same, doesn´t matter if he fell from 33.000 ft or 10.000 ft) trapped in the rear turret of a Lancaster bomber, after the bomber broke up in the air. He survived.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

PBIflyguy

Sat Dec 25, 2004 5:51 am

Must agree that it is a bit far fetched......

But think of this, who would ever imagine that anyone on UA 232 would walk away either......Watch the footage from that horrific day and wonder just how anyone survived. Maybe the folks on the LOST aircraft were lucky enough to have someone Al Haynes in the cockpit........

BEG2IAH

Sat Dec 25, 2004 6:37 am

Flying at the cruising altitude is (mostly) boring. I wish all flights were nothing but endless take offs and landings every 10 minutes or so.

VC-10

Sat Dec 25, 2004 7:26 am

During WW2 a Lancaster tail gunner had a choice of going down with his plane or jumping when he found his parachute had been burnt when his a/c was hit. He chose to jump from 20+k Ft. He survived and walked away after his fall was broken by Fir trees and deep snow.

The Germans didn't believe it themselves until they look at his 'chute harness and found it showed no signs of being used (stretched).

aa777jr

Sat Dec 25, 2004 5:42 pm

My grandfather was a fighter pilot in WWII and told me a story of a gunner in a B17, that had the rear section seperated when a Luftwaffe plane cut the tail from the fuselage and the gunner glided down and was rescued by some french farmers.

Stranger things have happened!  Smile
A liberal is a man who is right most of the time, but he's right too soon.

AvObserver

Sat Dec 25, 2004 7:59 pm

"The whole point of this show is that the unexplainable keeps happening. 50 people survive an unsurvivable crash, a crippled guy all of a sudden can walk again, 16 year old radio signals and a massive monster of some kind existing but never seen on the island. Don't try to explain it just enjoy it."

EXACTLY! You expect a show with a fast moving and wild plot to get bogged down in such impeccable logic? Don't forget about the polar bear that showed up in the middle of the rain forest after there was one depicted in that kid's comic book. Don't question it, just roll with it. I love the show too but I'll have apoplexy all summer if they don't reveal what that seemingly invisible monster actually is by the end of the season. We only know it's not a dinosaur because J.J. Abrams said so. Aside from the bizarre elements, the show bears a fair resemblance to an early 70's series called "The New People", although those survivors were mostly of the hippie type and it was a ratings dud, unlike "Lost".

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos