Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

UALramperORD
Topic Author

UAL Employees, Your Status?

Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:41 am

To all my fellow UAL employees, I was curious to know how you and your co-workers at your station are doing? What is the word out by you? Here at ORD we are being told that lay-offs are a possibility but nothing written in stone. Well reply if you want and good luck to all of us at UA and the other carriers of the world.
"Roger, cleared to push spot 3"

sfoff

RE: UAL Employees, Your Status?

Sun Dec 26, 2004 6:35 pm

OAKOZ: one agent bumping in from SFOCS, no furloughs
"Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit drinking"

An-225

Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:44 pm

DENCG - All temps and most of the class before me, plus everyone who has lower seniority are gone. Some full-timers are down to part time. Should get rather interesting, especially with those inept assholes running our airline.

Alex.
Money does not bring you happiness. But it's better to cry in your own private limo than on a cold bus stop.

UALGSO

Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:09 pm

So far so good, no furloughs or bumpings yet. I 'am interested in hearing about more station closings myself.

sdkualeb

Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:22 am

EWRCS lost over 50 this year my turn was Nov 7th. The moral at EWR is rock bottom. Are station manager that we had just took the place and destroyed it. We knew times were bad but he did nothing to try and make us feel better. He just mad things worse. In Sept. We knew that we were loosing 6 more flts he didn't. I asked the ? With loosing 6 more flts what will that mean for layoffs ? He strait faced said that he dose not see it happening because of retirements and ANP. Under my breath I said bull sh!t, 2 Weeks later Deshon and Maren came for a visit and broke the news. 10 More for CS. Being the lowest I new I was done. EWR is a great place with great people that just keep getting disrespect. Good luck Hartford with your new station manager hope he dose not reck you too like he did at EWR.

AMS

Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:52 am

I used to Work at IADRR, IADCS and later also at NRTSW

Regards,
AMS

RHSNYC

Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:02 am

Hey everybody. Yeah, times are reallllly tough for us! Just a "heads-up". Not so confident that Airliners.net is the best forum for us to "air our dirty laundry" as it is very public - world-wide public actually! Be really pissed for somebody, something, to use this site for any ability to kick us down further!!!

UALPHLCS

Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:54 am

Well they laid off all Full-timers in PHL up to 98 senority. So many FT agents chose to take the layoff that now they are trying to hire PT. Rumor has it that they will soon be hiring PT off the street.

Morale in PHL is in the tank. Our immediate supervisors focus on minor things like agents doing thier weekly lessons. Having a front row seat for the implosion of US is also depressing. The mess is spilling over to UA especially in Baggage Service.
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

UALramperORD
Topic Author

Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:08 am

Sorry to hear about all your furloughs. I am bumbed down to PT and am only getting 4 hours a day. Rumor has it I will be gone next month.

F9Animal

Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:27 am

My deepest sympathies for you guys and gals. It is so sad. I worked for UAL for 3 years, and I would have never thought it would end up like it is right now. Keep your chins up, and hang in there. It certainly won't hurt to get a second job, especially if you are concerned about getting laid off.

BTW- This thread is really depressing to read!! :-(
I Am A Different Animal!!

UALramperORD
Topic Author

Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:09 am

I didnt mean for this to be depressing, i was just curious what UAL was doing outside of ORD. Good luck to us all, and thanks for the kind words F9Animal.

ual777contrail

Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:09 pm

I am in COSOZ, and we haven't furloughed. Our station manager thought that cutting senior part time hours was better than laying off junior full timers.

I would have to disagree.

I can tell you, find something outside of UAL and it will make you feel better.

UAL 777 CONTRAIL

FriendlySkies

Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:17 pm

My dad is ORDCS and my mom CHIRR, both have over 25 years senority, so we're not too worried about furloughs. More so the pay cuts, I'm entering college next year, and am trying to get a few scholarships to cover it...but let me tell you, UA isn't helping much. I just hope Tilton and the gang still have a few tricks up their sleeves. I saw "The Aviator" today, and the way Hughes was portrayed as CEO of TWA really hit me. Airlines really need a CEO who's willing to throw everything he has on the line to save the company. UA would be profitable and on top if they had someone like that, but I don't think anyone in this world is capable of such a valiant action....oh well, back to plan B.

tsully

Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:44 pm

I echo what Rhsnyc said about Airliners.net NOT BEING THE APPROPRIATE PLACE to gripe. Remember that you're talking to the media and our passengers when you talk on this website. Look folks, we're all in an uncomfortable place right now... BUT we have OTHER venues for griping. Again, let's remember that the battle hasn't been lost yet, so for the time being keep your poker faces in public and save the complaining for appropriate settings. Let's not go down the road that US Air traveled last week. They've effectively thrown away one of the most valuable things...customer goodwill. Let's not do the same. LET'S KEEP FAMILY BUSINESS OFF THIS SITE.

Keep running a great airline and things will improve.
I love America. I guess that makes me Bush's poodle, but I'd rather be a dog in New York City than a prince in Riyadh.

UAL Bagsmasher

Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:41 am

Granted, the media and pax may be reading these forums. But they have every right to hear the truth, whatever that may be. All they hear from the airline P.R. Departments is how warm and cuddly their employees are and how everyone is banding together to help their company. Those of you in the industry know darn well morale is non-existant and things don't look so bright. Would it be so bad to tell the truth and let people know the challenges we are facing as everyday people?

ual777contrail

Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:29 am

They may have a right to hear the truth, let them find out for themselves.

UAL 777 CONTRAIL

ORDINDUAFLYER

Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:35 am

Not a UA employee, just a 1K with 45 RTs this year. Just wanted to give you all my best thoughts and let you know that there are a lot of pax out here who do wish you the best and continue to support the employees of UA. I fly UA not because of the corporation behind the airline, but because of the employees (both front-line and back) who have made it a great airline to fly through the years.

FWIW, I have several friends who work at UA in various capacities so have heard a lot of the stories. For those who think the negatives should be kept off a-net...it's not like there aren't a dozen or two or three other websites out there that the same information is being posted on. Besides, it's not as if the pax don't have an idea what's going on...we do hear about it in the airports, on the planes, etc...especially if you happen to start chatting with one or more of the employees.

t

[Edited 2004-12-28 23:37:04]

TonyBurr

Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:35 am

Like Ordinduaflyer I am also a 1K and have been for several years. I can understand some people's concern about not airing your dirty laundry here, but actually after reading some of these posts it makes me more sensitive to the people I deal with at UA. It gives me a better perspective, and am glad it did. I have met many wonderful employees at all level of UA ( obviously not top management or I would NOT have used wonderful) and am sad to see such low morale. Over the past year I have seen a great improvement in the relations of employees to customers, and service, and yet seeing on here how low morale can be, it give me even more admiration for the employees I encounter.

I have a suggestion. Instead of having the employees meet with top management, lock top management in a room with some of the frequent flyers. We would have ALOT to say to them, and you might enjoy the show!!!!!!!!!

Aaron747

Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:27 am

I don't work for UA, but in my job at SFO I encounter UA employees on a daily basis. Walking through terminal 3 is an exercise in depression. Lots of sour faces behind the scenes and on the ground. However, I still see diamonds in the rough - a flight attendant and two pilots having the time of their lives over lunch, and a CSA at gate 69 last week who had the most positive attitude while dealing with pax at the counter I've seen in some time.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

ual777contrail

Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:30 am

~~~~~~~I have a suggestion. Instead of having the employees meet with top management, lock top management in a room with some of the frequent flyers. We would have ALOT to say to them, and you might enjoy the show!!!!!!!!!

That should have been a main focus for years. If they don't listen to employees, they wont listen to the 1K's. That is a great idea though, TonyBurr.

UAL 777 CONTRAIL

TonyBurr

Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:51 am

UAL 777 CONTRAIL you are probably right that they would not listen to anyone! They stopped having 1K area meetings years ago. But let your imagination run wild. Wouldn't you love to be a fly on the wall listening to 1K's telling them what we think they have done to the airline? They have nothing to hold over our heads, and we have nothing to lose. When those inflight satisfaction surveys were handed out I always told the F I wanted one to do on top management
(always brought a smile to their face). I always put on the survey to give us one on management. They never did !

To the UA employees, please do not do as some US employees did this past week. You can see from the posts on here that they lost alot of support of the customer. CHAOS will work against you. Think of the pilots a few summers ago. Be professional and keep your heads up high to the public. We really do understand ( as much as we can) your situation and I am sure support you. Many US employees lost the support of the frequent flyers this week.

[Edited 2004-12-29 03:56:58]

ElkGrove

Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:25 pm

TonyBurr and Ordinduaflyer,

Thank you both for your continued patronage of our airline. We do appreciate your business.

In the past the employees of our customer relations department were encouraged to address each customer’s concerns on an individual basis and to respond with personal correspondence. Due to the drastic increase in complaints caused by the summer of 2000, our customer service department was simply unable to respond with the individual attention that they had in the past. Just as soon as that situation was rectified, the technology industry downturn and the events of September 11 forced the airline to layoff a large number of employees responsible for handling customer inquires. That, combined with the workforce reductions that have occurred at WHQ, have severely limited the company’s ability to be proactive in the area of customer relations. Rather than the large-scale studies on the attitudes and opinions of our customers, as had been done in the past, we are currently utilizing smaller focus groups, which have been arranged through customer relations firms. These groups, which not only cost significantly less to arrange, provide information that is more relevant to the company and can be more easily acted upon.

That being said we still do value the views of our customers. I am willing to give out my company email address along with my phone number. While my position within the company isn’t particularly pertinent to the nature of your concerns, other than TonyBurr’s general distaste for management, I am honestly interested in what you have to say. Due to the nature of this forum however, if I were to post that information I would be bombarded with more emails than I could handle. Do you have any suggestions regarding this?

-ElkGrove

FriendlySkies

Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:18 pm

ElkGrove:

As per your profile, it's great to see someone from upper management on a.net. I've always thought to myself that if I end up in airline management someday (thought has crossed my mind a few times), I'd want to be there listening to the people who actually use the product, not anaylists and what not. Just wanted to say thanks, hopefully you can inspire other top guys to do the same, or at least read stuff on boards like this. Keep up the good work! Big grin

StevenUhl777

Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:12 am

Elk Grove:

Great to hear from you! I noticed you hadn't posted in a while, and figured you were a little busy at work... Big grin

Hope all is going well for you, and that things work out for you as well as other frontline employees. I agree that as long as UA employees can take the high road and not engage in stunts like we saw at US, I think in the long term things will be OK. US is dead meat at this point, only a matter of time.

As for me, I have two relatives (father and grandfather) who are watching the pension issue very closely, and my Dad specifically has put off most, if not all, major purchases indefinitely, as he waits to see how things will impact him, specifically on the pension and health care costs.

I don't know if you have a say in this, but for what it's worth...a number of years ago, UA employees were told that when they retire, they would have free travel benefits on UA for the rest of their lives. This is not the case today, and is a SORE point with many, if not all, retirees today. In their eyes, it's yet another broken promise made by UA management, and part of the overall distrust that exists today. It seems as though retirees are being asked to make substantial cost concessions as well to ensure UA's survival. Given these proposed cutbacks, it would seem that restoration of this promise of flight benefits would be a nice gesture to restore goodwill amongst this important and often vocal employee group. The cost of restoring the benefit would be pale in comparison vs. the health care/pension savings to UAL.

Anyhow...all the best!
And the winner for best actress is....REESE WITHERSPOON for 'Walk the Line'!!!!!!!!

andersjt

Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:34 am

I had the chance to fly UA over the Christmas weekend, LAX to IAD to DEN, and then home to LAX. For the 3 flights, I passed out 100, $10 Starbuck's gift cards to in-flight and ground personnel letting them know there are UA customers who are behind them. I received handwritten thank you notes from all 3 captains, and all the flight attendants (2 777's and a 757) thanked me personally.

A supervising attendant was working the flight from IAD to DEN on Christmas Eve and we had a chance to talk quite a bit. All the changes had her "back in the saddle again" as she put it, but she had a good attitude and talked about how much she loved her job and the airline. What was sad for her was seeing those employees more affected by the turmoil and how they were letting it change how they dealt with customers (I noticed it too, especially ground personnel in Denver).

The best thank you I got came from a flight attendant on the flight home, DEN to LAX Monday night. She really wanted to thank me for thinking of everyone at this time, what with the holiday rush and company turmoil, but most of all she thanked me for my business, and she said how much she truly loved her job and the airline and did not want to see either go away.

Its the line employees who make the airline, but it seems its the union leaders and senior management in control. I wonder how Mr. Tilton would act if he were in Denver explaining to full fare paying First Class passengers why they have to use "Self Service" check-in now. Sorry, this was really my only truly negative experience about the trip this weekend. It was kind of insulting.
Oh how I long for the day when the skies were truly Friendly!

AAplatnumflier

Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:47 am

Let me tell ya.....whether I call UA AA or any airline I can never talk to those automated recordings. I always have to talk to an agent. I tell the nice people answering the phone that it is so great to hear a human voice and that I cant stand that recording. I also ask to talk to supervisors to complain to them about those stupid automated thing. Actually my dad does the complaining...Also I never use automated check-in and that is why I dislike AS....E Check In. Knowing some of the agents at various airports getting laid off is sad. But it is always great to talk to people. And good luck with you guys and your jobs. Also Andersjt that was a great deed that you did. On the next flight that I take I am going to do that. I don't think that I can get 100 as I am just a kid but I will certainly do what I can afford. Once again good luck with your jobs!!

AA717driver

Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:51 pm

I am truly sorry to see many of you getting bumped or laid off. I hope things turn out ok. Having gone through this myself, I assure you there is life after getting the pink slip.

Hang in there, something will turn up if you keep a positive attitude. It may not be your first choice but keep looking for something you really want to do in life. Good luck.TC
FL450, M.85

ORDINDUAFLYER

Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:58 am

ElkGrove, thanks for your post above. It is encouraging to see a senior manager from UA keeping an eye on the boards whether it's in an official capacity or not. It's also nice to have someone at your level asking for pax input. I think the posts (above) following yours are reflective of what I hear a lot from other pax.

If you want an "eyeful" of what frequent flyers are saying, you might check out the United forum at FlyerTalk, where you'll see the good, the bad and the ugly. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=504 There are several passengers of different "status" levels who post there, but a very good portion of them are 1P, 1K and UGS. You'll also see a few employees who post there (absolutely NOT in the role of employees and they are very clear that their posts/opinions do NOT reflect the opinions of UA but their own personal opinion -- just as there are employees from the other airlines posting in each of their respective fora) and they've been extremely helpful when someone has questions about irregular ops, etc and their presence is certainly appreciated by the other members.

From a 1K pax perspective (2004 was my first year as a 1K), for the most part I've really felt appreciated by almost every employee I've run across, especially those who know one way or another that I'm a 1K. I hope someday that all levels of passengers will feel a strong level of appreciation from employees they encounter when either flying or calling UA. Having the 1K Voice e-mail to send comments to has been extremely helpful and it does provide a bit more personal level of customer service response than the generic customer service e-mail contact. Hopefully this level of response will eventually be restored to all passengers!

I'd be happy to share more with you if you'd like. Feel free to drop me an e-mail.

UALramperORD
Topic Author

Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:08 am

Whats the status in denver? What year did they lay-off back to? (on the ramp)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos