COAMiG29
Topic Author

Swissair111 And The End Of Swissair

Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:17 am

Today i watched the air emergency program that was about the end of swissair flight 111. my question is this, Did flight 111 effectively end swissair or were they going under anyway?

thanks in advance for responces

--COAMiG29--
If Continental had a hub at DFW with nonstop flights I would always fly them, unfortunantely good things take time.

HB-IWC

RE: Swissair111 And The End Of Swissair

Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:42 am

Given that SR111 happened in 1998 and that they went under in 2001, I'd say there was little or no correlation. The big expansion and acquisition drive, that is often blamed for Swissair's demise, was only just starting in 1998.

N863DA

Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:08 pm

The logic doesn't always hold...

Pan Am survived for more than two years after PA103 in Lockerbie... but it was a major, contributing factor to their demise...

I have no idea if SR-111 was a contributing factor, but I thought I'd point out that the timeframe doesn't always mean anything.

FLY DELTA JETS

N 8 6 3 D A

ConcordeBoy

Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:34 pm

Sure it was a factor, but not the sine qua non:
that being SR's expansion via stakes in Sabena plus 2nd (and 3rd) tier financial-unstable regional airlines.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

danialanwar

Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:11 pm

I am not sure whether it had any major impact. I cant recall hearing that SR's passenger numbers drop a lot.

Swissair went under because of their failed Hunter Stragegy (buying airlines in trouble and turn them around - not). SR would have ended with or without SR111.
Best Business Class: Royal Brunei. Best Economy: Singapore Airlines. First: please send money first!

COAMiG29
Topic Author

Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:18 pm

thanks for the clarifacation. to be honest i don't think sr is to blame for the loss of sr111. a wire caught some insulation (with a scientific and hard to pronounce name ) on fire and that is no one's fault.
If Continental had a hub at DFW with nonstop flights I would always fly them, unfortunantely good things take time.

Matterhorn

Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:41 pm

there is no way that SR 111 did damage swissair's reputation. It is exactly the other way round, swissiar got a lot of sympathy and the image improved big time.
it is recognized that philippe brugisser, SR's CEO that time, performed an exellent crisis management. they paid immediatly after the crash a lot of money to the families (more than they were obligied) and supported them whereever they could. after the incident, swissair was stronger than before.

as stated before, SR's hunter strategy was responsible for the bankrupty.
Last Flight: BSL-AMS on EZY, Next Flight: ZRH-LHR on LX

ConcordeBoy

Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:16 pm

with a scientific and hard to pronounce name

...well, if "metallized Mylar" is truly too scientific and hard to pronounce, just call it MPET  Big grin
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

baw716

Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:05 am

I have to agree with most of the posts. Swissair was widely praised for the manner in which they managed both the incident management and the interactions with the families of the passengers and crew both immediately after and for a good time after the crash. It did a good deal to improve the credibility of Swissair. Further, the actions that Swissair took as a result of the crash, both in their procedures and their refit of the MD11 fleet went far beyond what they needed to do, but were probably less than was they felt they needed to do. In any case, those procedures were carried forward to Swiss and the manner in which Swiss operated the MD11 up until the last day were testiment to not only what Swissair learned from the accident, but what they did about it.

Swissair's demise had everything to do with the failed strategy of purchasing airlines in trouble and trying to build an alliance with airlines that should have been allowed to go out of business. Instead of building a strong alliance, they airlines sucked the life out of Swissair, to its demise. This is the responsibility of Mr. Brussiger. He alone bears the responsibility for the demise of Swissair.

The problem now is that Swiss is not in terribly good financial shape either. While they are making some good decisions regarding fleet commonality, it is an open question that they can stand alone without being involved in an airline alliance. Yes, their agreement with AA helps, but in a Europe in which all the carriers around them are in some kind of alliance, it is going to be very difficult for them to compete at the same level as the other carriers. Let us hope they can succeed.
David L. Lamb, fmr Area Mgr Alitalia SFO 1998-2002, fmr Regional Analyst SFO-UAL 1992-1998

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos