MEA
Topic Author

Cathay Pacific New Routes & Growth

Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:16 am

Looks like CX is planning on growing with addition of further aircraft and new routes.

I'e included a copy of the article from http://www.centreforaviation.com for reference. Does anyone know of the potential new routes?

Cathay Pacific enters upbeat new chapter

Cathay Pacific’s new CEO, Philip Chen, has made his first announcement since taking over the role of CEO from David Turnbull on 1 January: staffing levels will rise by 10% this year. In June last year, one month after the announcement of the proposed management changes, Chen stated the airline was “poised to begin a period of significant expansion and we are now exploring the scope for adding a range of exciting new routes - this means huge investment”.

One major investment was a 10% strategic stake in Air China last month, aimed at enhancing ties and improving access to the Mainland. Cathay Pacific is also rapidly developing its fleet, which includes a delivery schedule for nine aircraft in 2005 and six in 2006 – to take its fleet beyond 100 aircraft. A long haul fleet order is also pending, and Cathay Pacific’s recruitment drive is now in full swing to prepare for the growth.

With its first Chinese national CEO at the controls, Cathay Pacific has now entered a new chapter, characterised by closer engagement with the Mainland. Further alliance building on the Mainland is likely in 2005, as part of Cathay’s ongoing programme to strengthen its Hong Kong hub. But which way will it go with its global alliance relationships?

6thfreedom

RE: Cathay Pacific New Routes & Growth

Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:05 am

without a doubt, mainland china will be a priority...

i can also see further expansion into australia, as well as possible uptake of trans-pacific rights, perhaps beating SQ to the punch...

scotron11

Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:32 am

Any news on their LHR-JFK route? Is that going to happen now that VS is flying HKG-SYD?

behramjee

Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:53 am

There has been talk for quite sometime that CX wants to add an extra 4th weekly flight to KHI from HKG but change the routing structure to :

HKG-KHI-DXB-KHI-HKG with full 5th freedom rights on KHI-DXB-KHI.

Currently they fly HKG-BKK-KHI 3 times a week using A 333s and A 343s.

There have been no indications that they want the currently routed flight to see an upgrade in frequency or capacity.

Would it be wise for CX to look into flying HKG-NBO-LOS-NBO-HKG with A 343s 3-4 times a week in order to tap the West Africa/Oil/East Africa tourism and business markets??? They can get a lot of wealthy Chinese and Japanese executives who work in LOS and NBO to fly them.

How well does SAA do on their JNB-JAPAN and HKG routes, load and yield wise?

ConcordeBoy

Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:51 am

Any news on their LHR-JFK route?

Though the USA is essentially powerless to stop them at this point.... there's practically zero incentive for the EU to grant them those rights.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

HB-IWC

Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:53 pm

How well does SAA do on their JNB-JAPAN and HKG routes, load and yield wise?

All JNB-HKG flights are reciprocal code-shares between SA and CX with SA operating daily flights and CX 6 weekly flights. SA does not have Japan operations, neither are there any other direct airlinks between Japan and South Africa.

As for further CX expansion, I bet they'll be looking for extra India flights, including new destinations like Chennai or Bangalore. Top priority will of course be the mainland, but there medium term expansion has already been arranged a couple of months ago.

nomorerjs

Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:54 pm

They are on the O'Hare competition list as a carrier that has interest in ORD-HKG and ORD-YVR-HKG service. This will be impacted by AAs ORD-HKG ambitions. As much as I would prefer to see a US flag carrier fly ORD-HKG (jobs to airline employees) we need good service on this long haul, and CX will deliver.

behramjee

Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:32 pm

CX has put DFW as a higher priority than ORD due to the larger number of Latin American connections available out of DFW on AA!!! This I was told by a Senior CX Employee...DFW has been in the works for 2 years now and is on a higher priority list than ORD. They want to make DFW, their gateway into the Latin / Central America market.

As for India...BLR is aimed to become their next Indian city if allowed to fly there...nothing Ive heard on them wanting MAA!!! Theyve currently increasing frequencies to BOM and DEL during the open skies period.

ConcordeBoy

Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:08 pm

As much as I would prefer to see a US flag carrier fly ORD-HKG (jobs to airline employees) we need good service on this long haul, and CX will deliver.

AA has been planning for years to op that route starting this year.... doubt they would cede that to CX

CX has put DFW as a higher priority than ORD due to the larger number of Latin American connections available out of DFW on AA!!!

Course, it'd need to be 1stop, as CX doesn't have anything that could effectively hit HKG nonstop from DFW with any decent load.

lutfi

Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:35 pm

Think ATL will be the next NAM destination for CX, with freighters. Note that they already fly to ORD!

Kiwi dave

Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:12 pm

I wouldn't mind if CX was to fly to CHC

behramjee

Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:32 pm

ConcordeBoy...if CXs A 343s and A 346s can fly HKG-YYZ and HKG-JFK nonstop, cant they too fly HKG-DFW nonstop?

What about AAs B 772ERs DFW-HKG?

EUROBUS

Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:59 pm

It would be great to see CX in MAD, but I think it's not in their plans! :-( Although I am sure that IB network for codeshare flights could be attractive. I guess we will have to wait.
Who says airports are boring places?!

n949wp

Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:26 pm

HKG-JFK -- 8072 miles
HKG-DFW -- 8123 miles

With such negligible differences in great circle distance, CX's A346s should be able to make it non-stop to DFW. The real question is -- whether there is sufficiently profitable business to be had at DFW to make it worth the while.

CXoneworld

Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:56 pm

Effective from 28 February, Cathay will extend its reach to another mainland Chinese destination, Xiamen. The flight itself will be CX's shortest operation, with barely 60mins turnaround time.

CX350 HKG-XMN M,W,F 1005-1125 A330
CX351 XMN-HKG M,W,F 1225-1345 A330

Also along the line, the airline is hoping to launch its own service to SVO, a second daily flight to PEK, and freighters to PVG. Other strongly rumoured expansion include a fourth daily operation to LHR, HKG-DXB-IST, a return to Manchester (via SVO).

And you may expect Cathay to announce another fleet order in the first half of 2005!
oneworld alliance revolves around you

AF022

Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:10 pm

international connections via the US (such as DFW) are hopeless because everyone would need a US visa.

a HKG CX DFW AA GRU passenger would have to clear customs in DFW. this probably wouldn't be the wisest move to CX if the intention is to tap into latin america.

ConcordeBoy

Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:18 pm

if CXs A 343s and A 346s can fly HKG-YYZ and HKG-JFK nonstop

....and struggle in doing so

cant they too fly HKG-DFW nonstop?

...can they? Sure

...with any sort of decent payload? Iffy on the eastbound, hell no on the westbound.

What about AAs B 772ERs DFW-HKG?

While they'd fare slightly better than the A340s, they'd run against the same problems.

With such negligible differences in great circle distance, CX's A346s should be able to make it non-stop to DFW.

What you fail to consider is that the New York routings are transpolar and therefore less subjected to winds which would increase the overall still air distance.

HKG-DFW-HKG would have no such protection, particularly considering that it's likely to be flown on a route more southerly than the GC.

emrecan

Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:28 pm

I hope they will fly to istanbul again.. (with 747-400 this time)

boeingforever

Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:48 pm

I think CX should consider flying HKG-TLV. LY has had this flight for almost 5 years, and due to aircraft constraints, they can only fly 4 times a week(777),,and its impossible to ever get a seat on that flight.
Also, CX would be much more favorable, because they are allowed to fly over arab countries, whereas LY cant. this would cut at least 3 hours off flying time.

B-HOP

Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:34 am

Boeingforever: -

Flights to and from TLV are not allowed to overfly Arab airspace, that applies even to CX. SQ discussed TLV before SARS and from this board, someone said flights to and from TLV are not allowed to use Arab airspace. Similarly, flights from mid east (except Jordan), are not allow to use Israel space.

Kev
Live life to max!!!

as739x

Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:45 am

Anymore talk about the second SFO flight. They seemed to be very interested in that. Whats about a HKG-SFO-DFW? Just nice to see!

ASSFO
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

ConcordeBoy

Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:16 am

Whats about a HKG-SFO-DFW? Just nice to see!

Perhaps, but what'd be the point?

They can (and do) just as easily send those pax on the multiple AA flights between SFO and DFW-- thus sparing themselves the cost of using their own aircraft, on a non-cabotage routing, for the sake of a few pax who have other options anyways.

Carfield

Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:15 am

I am surprised that Xiaman comes online before Shanghai PVG. But I guess XMN is not a bad market, but with thrice weekly flight, it will not help CX much, but hopefully there will be some connections flight to and from Europe, Australia/NZ, and North America.

I will like CX to have a daytime SFO-HKG flight... but I am not sure... CX seems to be short of a/c...

LHR-JFK is not a CX priority and the main problem is with a good slot time at LHR... I guess CX will eventually do a RTW HKG-LHR-JFK-HKG flight in the future.

CX will get a few second-hand 747s... hopefully that will mean some expansions on long-haul flights.

Carfield

lh477

Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:03 am

For Latin & South America, DFW wouldn't be a good option becuase of US Visa restrictions, both YYZ and YVR would be a good option, however AC is not part of Oneworld or codeshares with CX. AC is starting to build a good South American network.

Come on you gunners......!!!!!

CXoneworld

Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:22 am

I am surprised that Xiaman comes online before Shanghai PVG.

Cathay's Chinese expansion is hampered by the bilateral which specifically forbids it from serving the PVG market. Possibly that MU is very fearful of competition when the HKG market alone is said to contribute to 10% of the company's earnings.

And I think just a month or two back then, there were some talks of Hong Kong finalising its first air service arrangement with Chile to foresee a codeshare pact between CX and LA. So is it happening yet? Personally I was caught a bit surprised to hear about the LA/KE codeshare...

as739x

Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:38 am

ConcordeBoy...I know. That was my wish, clearly never reality.

ASSFO
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

boeingfever777

Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:48 am

Could HKG-DFW-HKG be accomplish with a decent payload using a 777-200LR?

Also would CX even consider ordering this a/c?
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre.

ConcordeBoy

Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:03 am

Could HKG-DFW-HKG be accomplish with a decent payload using a 777-200LR?

Easily... so much so that even an A345 could do it  Laugh out loud

Also would CX even consider ordering this a/c?

Perhaps, but since CX is one of the few remaining airlines that truly retains the archaic belief that twinjets should not be used over the Pacific... I doubt it'd send such aircraft on that mission profile.

flyfirst

Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:49 am

I can see CX doing a HKG-MEX-SCL or EZE.

CXoneworld

Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:03 am

Perhaps, but since CX is one of the few remaining airlines that truly retains the archaic belief that twinjets should not be used over the Pacific... I doubt it'd send such aircraft on that mission profile.

Once upon a time all CX's 744s were RR powered... BUT NOT ANY MORE! Who knows if the airline will not have another change of heart...  Laugh out loud

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Yuxiaobin
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Yuxiaobin

CX Flyboy

Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:42 pm

There are only a few certain characters in CX against oceanic ETOPS. When they're gone, who knows!

ConcordeBoy

Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:54 pm

There are only a few certain characters in CX against oceanic ETOPS.

That's certainly good to hear.... but what sorta pull do they have?

I mean, it'd be great if those characters were the ones who clean the corporate offices at CPC-- as opposed to the CEO or some'n  Big grin

PA110

Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:18 pm

Chatting with SFO's Sales Manager several days ago, they are looking to add a second SFO service, and go double-daily between HKG and BJS. I too asked about PVG, and I was told that it was low priority at the moment. CX is doing incredibly well at the moment. They are getting plenty of premium bookings from their OneWorld alliance. In economy, the usual load of ethnic traffic is being matched with huge loads of tour traffic, due to the implosion of the North American TG sales organization. TG really screwed the pooch big time. CX is laughing all the way to the bank.
Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.

ZK-NBT

Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:09 am

How are they doing on their AKL services?

I guess they will go double daily this year, (currently 12 weekly, maybe 10 again in winter) and then maybe sometime in the future add a CHC service.

I read an article in the NZ hearld several months ago that they (CX) are in talks to upgrade aircraft or something on the AKL route. No idea what that means though since AKL is a 2 class route, it wouldn't be 744's though it would be nice! Maybe they could reinstate F on the daily CX107/108 service?

amirs

Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:00 pm

Boeingfever - ?????
Sorry, but where doyou get your info from?
1. EL Al has been flying TLV - HKG for over 5 years.
2. They fly only three times a week.
3. The third flight was only added recently (end of Oct), and until March it is on 763, not 777.
4. CX will not be able to fly over arab countries, if the flight is from or to TLV. The restriction is for all flights heading for or originating in TLV, the restriction is not only for EL AL.
5. Its not so "impossible" to get a seat.
 Sad

Sorry

VictorTango

Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:18 pm

CX has been wanting to increase frequency to India since the last few years. I really wonder what's the problem. There's not a single non-stop flight between BOM & HKG. Even CX flies with a stop at BKK. Wonderful airline. Hopefully the growth and new routes will add some more flights to India.

Olly

CX Flyboy

Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:10 am

Cathay desperately want to add frequencies to India, but everytime the Indian government delays the air services talks. It's been delayed again and again and again. The latest ones were due to happen this coming week, but it's been delayed yet again.

B-HXB

Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:46 pm

AKL - pretty well in Y (stellar around school holidays season!), reasonably well on J traffic. AFAIK it wasn't that F loads were *bad*, but that they needed the extra Y capacity more than F was bringing in.

The Coachman

Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:27 pm

I can't remember CX expanding this fast in my lifetime, if ever. They need new aircraft and they have the financial base to order it soon. They always have been conservative when it comes to route planning. It would not surprise me to see CX increase capacity to SYD on one of the 3 daily flights (unfortunately it may not be possible - it's currently 3 x A330's), it may happen with the extra B744's coming in, but I'd say a 2nd SFO service (but where would another A340-300 be found) and expansion to Europe would be first on the agenda.

HKG-NBO-LOS would be VERY interesting...but it would be very very adventurous, probably too much for the management at CX. It would probably start at A340-300 at 3 or 4 times a week if it did start and go from there.

I don't see CX ordering many more short-medium range aircraft like standard B777-300 or B777-200A. It'll be long-ranged stuff and the A330-300. They love them to death CX and I think will order more, for future expansion to India and the Middle East and so on.

IMHO, CX is waiting for the A340-600HGW to come online then it will order a fair few. It's the kind of aircraft that would do wonders to its expansionary policy. It will up capacity on routes like SYD, MEL, 2nd SFO, JFK, YVR, even a 4th LHR if they so desire and possibly to mid-west USA.

Crucial period for CX coming up and I look forward to them expanding to the airline that it has always threatened to be but never has due to conservative management. Its product is excellent, its equipment is in the top 10 for age in the world, it has money in the bank and is making profits at the present moment. Go CX!
M88, 722, 732, 733, 734, 73G, 73H, 742, 743, 744, 752, 762, 763, 772, 773, 77W, 320, 332, 333, 345, 388, DH8, SF3 - want

gkirk

Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:35 pm

Nothing more about their proposed return to MAN using 343s via SVO and MUC?
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

cx773

Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:37 am

Dear all, this is the CX 2005 plan!  Smile

Jan: Shanghai Cargo Launch

Feb: Xiamen Pax Launch, B744F delivery

Mar: ---

Apr: SUBx4 weekly, MNLx37 weekly, FCOx6 weekly, AMS daily, JNB daily,
FUKx 4 weekly, NGOx3 weekly, DXBx14 weekly, ICN(TBN),
B773 delivery

May: ---

Jun: SINx6 (daily or add 6 weekly), PERx4 weekly, 2 A333 deliveries

Jul: Moscow Launch, B744 and A333 delivery

Aug: SFOx2 daily, LHRx3 B744, B744 delivery

Sep: ---

Oct: IST relaunch

Nov: New inflight SMS system

Dec: LAX x 3 daily, B744F delivery

ConcordeBoy

Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:20 am

IMHO, CX is waiting for the A340-600HGW to come online then it will order a fair few. It's the kind of aircraft that would do wonders to its expansionary policy.

...their less-than-charming experience with their first two A346s might cause them to think otherwise.

Realize they did have a good few problems with their launch of the 773A, but also keep in mind that that aircraft had no direct competitor, as does the A346.

bartond

Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:36 am

"CX has put DFW as a higher priority than ORD due to the larger number of Latin American connections available out of DFW on AA!!! This I was told by a Senior CX Employee...DFW has been in the works for 2 years now and is on a higher priority list than ORD. They want to make DFW, their gateway into the Latin / Central America market."

I haven't heard anything about CX to DFW being in the works for the past few years but that's great if they're considering it. Isn't Concordeboy right, though - won't they need longer range aircraft to make the haul from HKG-DFW and especially DFW-HKG? Aircraft they currently lack? A346 - could probably do it but would this route warrant all that capacity? Connections would be great to Latin America and all of the US, for that matter, but that's an awful lot of seats to fill, even 3x weekly.

I, for one, think the market is there as long as CX has/improves connections to China. Then passengers in the DFW metro area could get to China with only one stop and others in the US could make it in 2 stops...something which they already have to do whether going through LAX, SFO, etc.

kaitak

Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:37 am

Many thanks for this, CX773; disappointing that MAN is not included in the list. I thought this would have taken precedence over both SVO (already operated jointly with SU) and IST.

Also, what is ICN(TBN) - specifically the TBN part; I know ICN is Seoul?

The Coachman

Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:02 am

I'm aware of that Concorde, however, having said that their 3rd A346 has proven to be ok, AFAIK.

And that's why I said that once it's performed online (probably for EK), then they might order if it is up to scratch. I can't see CX ordering the A340-500, long thin routes are not their thing, it's not what they want and a waste for the short routes. The thing that CX has done that has always puzzled me is their use of the A340-300 on short routes. I know until the 333 (3 class A330-300) was introduced it was their smallest aircraft in terms of capacity, but the A340-300's benefits are only realised over long ranges (9+ hours).

Any long thin routes they might want to start (MUC, MAN etc.) are within the range of the A340-300 so I see them keeping those and using the A346HGW for expansion in the future if the A346HGW performs to expectation.
M88, 722, 732, 733, 734, 73G, 73H, 742, 743, 744, 752, 762, 763, 772, 773, 77W, 320, 332, 333, 345, 388, DH8, SF3 - want

RCS763AV

Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:14 am

Flyfirst: That is funny, i thought you said there was some kind of demand uncovered between southamerica and asia....  Yeah sure

klyk1980

Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:16 am

Recently UA just annouce they will increase flight between ORD-HKG from daily to 10 weekly.

Personally I want to see AA in HKG from ORD..but I am wondering if ORD-HKG can pick up a twice daily? DFW would be a great destination for CX and many people already mentioned...open up South / Latin America market. But if CX fly to DFW..why don't jump a little bit more MIA? Is that possible?

nomorerjs

Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:44 am

If DFW-HKG is so good, why would AA choose ORD-HKG over DFW-HKG? Personally, I would prefer to see AA fly DFW-HKG and CX fly ORD-HKG. No offense to UA and AA, but CX would offer better service than two US domestic airlines flying one of the longest routes in the world. Also, CX and the city of Chicago have talked about CX in ORD.

See page 20 on the document below, "Requested to serve Hong Kong non-stop and via Vancouver. Has attended multiple meetings with city. Continued interest - airline delayed start."

http://ohare.com/doa/about/CompetitionPlan2004.pdf

ZKOJH

Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:26 pm

when r they returning to MAN???
Air New Zealand ~ dreams of flying

bartond

Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:52 am

klyk - you might have a point there...MIA would be ideal for South American connections. You would lose domestic connections to many places (maybe not lose them, but make them logistically retarded) but maybe MIA would work better for CX. Only problem is, if you're looking for a nonstop flight, DFW pushes the limit of their existing aircraft so MIA would make it almost impossible without severe payload restrictions. Especially westbound.

If CX would pony up for the 772LR they could serve either...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos