Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CaptainTim
Topic Author

USColleges For Pilots: ERAU, Purdue Or Ohio State?

Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:31 pm

I am a student and i am planning to apply for a US university to major in aviaiton/fligh technology/ aeronautical science & Cathay PAcific's cadet programme (which i'll most likely get rejected)

these majors are all focused on making the graduates into pilots whehter as a corporate pilot, airline or cargo pilot.. however, i am undecided on which one to go to... Embry Riddle, Purdue Unviersity or Ohio State

i don't really want to go to Western Michigan or UND so i am trying to choose one out of those three.... Does anyone have any comments?

i know about how ERAU is bad cuz you can only major in somethign that has to do with avaition and its a big risk becuase of the current economy. but i heard that they have a much bigger fleet of aircrafts....

if anyone have any comments that would be excelelnt thanks  Smile
tim
Gulfstream Planeview Cockpit: "why have hundreds of buttons when a CCD does the same thing and more?"

res

RE: USColleges For Pilots: ERAU, Purdue Or Ohio State?

Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:43 pm

I would stay away from Riddle. Riddle is too over crowded,expensive and you would be lucky to start your flying 18 months into the program. Youll prolly have to fight for your flight blocks and you will probably usually end up with the short end of the stick.

ASU has a good program (where I am at), backed by America west express (Mesa Airlines).
Bigger fleet at ERAU really doesnt mean a whole lot...just more students use them.

Spartan school of aeronautics isnt bad either, but they aren't accredited -- if you want to go to a different school, well....say your prayers.

Just investigate and talk to people from each school you are interested in. Some schools will just mass your flight hours but just remember there is a difference between 1000 hours and 1 hour repeated 1000 times.

Tim
FLY NAVY

thegreatchecko

RE: USColleges For Pilots: ERAU, Purdue Or Ohio St

Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:02 pm

Tim,

I have heard over and over again the things about Riddle that Res just mentioned from various different people. I initially didnt want to believe it, and you will soon see the different opinions, however, its more widespread than I thought in the industry. Also, there are people that will refuse to hire Riddle grads because of the attitude (this I have heard multiple times as well).

Now before those reading this have an anurism, I don't have a vendeta against Riddle, they aren't the "devil", I'm simply relaying what I have heard (over and over again).

Here's a list of all the accredited programs in the United States:

http://www.caaaccreditation.org/programs.html

Look into all of them and find the one that best suits you. Each has their pros and cons. I would, however, go to an accredited program if at all possible.

Questions to get answered:
How many instructors?
How many aircraft?
How many students?
-these will help you figure out ratios
Do you do your own maintenance?
Do you own the aircraft/flight school?
What ratings will I graduate with?
What internship/coop opportunities available?
Where do students usually go when they graduate?

If possible, visit your top picks. This will help you get a feel for how the program is run and if you think you will feel comfortable training there.

Getting a backup degree (instead of aviation science) isn't a bad idea either. It can be in anything! So in that case, going to a 1 year pro pilot program, then going to college and instructing part time while in school isnt a bad idea.

At a minimum I would recommend a business (aviation management) double major or minor with the Aviation Science degree.

Good Luck!

GreatChecko
"A pilot's plane she is. She will love you if you deserve it, and try to kill you if you don't...She is the Mighty Q400"

PhilSquares

Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:40 pm

As a Riddle grad, I have a different perspective. My undergraduate degree is in Aeronautical Engineering. Prior to going to pilot training in the military, I worked for a defense contractor in an engineering position. I had several job offers upon graduation. While in the military, I obtained an MBA. After I decided to leave the military, I tested the waters in a non-pilot job. I was overwhelmed with offers.

Even now, I do some part time consulting. I have been hired by the FAA, Boeing, Airbus and several airlines. To be honest, no one has ever said a single negative word about having a Riddle degree.
Fly fast, live slow

CaptainTim
Topic Author

Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:01 pm

Does anyboyd have anythign on Purdue's aviation degrees?

thanks
tim
Gulfstream Planeview Cockpit: "why have hundreds of buttons when a CCD does the same thing and more?"

JFKspotter

Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:36 pm

"I would stay away from Riddle. Riddle is too over crowded,expensive and you would be lucky to start your flying 18 months into the program. Youll prolly have to fight for your flight blocks and you will probably usually end up with the short end of the stick."

I began flying there a month into my first semester, and have never had to fight for a flight block.

But that's just me.

flyingbronco05

Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:23 am

Check out WMU.

Not as well known as the others, but continuously rated above all three in the aviation industry.

http://www.wmich.edu/aviation/index.htm

FB05
Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge

AT502B

Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:32 am

Although I never attended Purdue, Purdue has an excellent reputation in the business world. I think a degree from Purdue would carry some serious weight in a job interview-not only in the aviation world. My Father went to Purdue back in the day and even through the bad times in the airline industry he was able to get a job doing other things away from aviation. He is a United Standards Captain now almost up for retirement- I hope United turns around!
Any reason you don't like UND?
I love the smell of jet fuel in the morning.

planespotting

Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:18 am

You should check out SLU (St. Louis University). My friend Adam goes there (he was a flight ops intern at southwest when i was one) and he really likes it, it's the Parks College School of Engineering or something like that. Everyone I know who's been involved at SLU has loved it, and St Louis is a great town so it is worth checking up on.
Do you like movies about gladiators?

KFLLCFII

Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:32 am

Res:

I would stay away from Riddle. Riddle is too over crowded,expensive and you would be lucky to start your flying 18 months into the program. Youll prolly have to fight for your flight blocks and you will probably usually end up with the short end of the stick.

Res, I'm not sure who your source(s) are, but I was almost three-quarters of the way through the entire flight program at ERAU after 18 months into the program. By then, I already attained my Private, Instrument, and Commercial certificates. The only one remaining by that point was Multi, and I never once had to "fight" for my flight blocks.

Regarding airlines "backing up" or "sponsoring" flight programs, if you're an ERAU grad, you don't even need it. Just the name alone says enough to the airlines without us even saying a word. Job interviews around the aviation industry become simpler and quicker, because interviewers already know that their education is top-notch, and that there's no need to really test the candidate's knowledge in detail. If you don't believe me, you can ask any of my classmates who have already experienced this special treatment first-hand. I know many people have posted on A.net in the past that the name "ERAU" gets you nothing more than anyone else, but those posts were from non-ERAU students who either didn't want to believe it was going on, or who did and didn't want to admit it. Expensive? You get what you pay for. Yes, I paid extra for special treatment. If that makes you mad, well you had the same opportunity.
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

FRA2DTW

Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:45 am

My nephew did a year at ERAU and didn't like the quality of their program at all. He left, became a flight instructor, then a commuter pilot, and now is a 747 captain for a prestigious foreign carrier. Took him 12 years after fleeing Embry and he knows he did the right thing. They're not worth the money.

CALMSP

Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:53 am

whats wrong with my BRONCOS?

TimeForFlight

Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:08 am

If you're just wanting to learn how to fly, look carefully at all the schools. The airlines don't care where you got your degree from or how long it took you. They simply want time.
I like how everybody always jumps on ERAU, OSU, and Purdue when it comes to flight schools. These are very good schools that are well known for a host of academic fields. Consequently, you'll end up paying for a name on a diploma when you don't need the name.
I go to Middle Tennessee State University. We have a fleet of over 30 aircraft that fly daily. Because we're a state school we're automatically cheaper than ERAU and Purdue. While our school may not compare to the party atmosphere of OSU (even though it isn't bad), our flight program is MUCH better and cheaper.
If you want a good education at reasonable cost, I'd recommend a public school. If you want a slightly better education at a much higher cost, try a private school. Just remember - with flight time easily pushing $100 an hour anywhere across the nation, the more you save on tuition means the more you spend on flying.
http://www.mtsu.edu
Isaac

CaptainTim
Topic Author

Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:24 am

i would have to say i don't like UND becuase its nowhere near the respect that ERAU and purdue has....

many people have negative comments about ERAU.. is there anythign other than the cost that is bad about them...are their teachers really that bad or their aircraft??

thanks
tim

doug_or

Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:56 am

I graduated from Purdue, am in new hire training @ riddle (AZ), and know several UND guys from my internship.

First off- Some airlines DO care where your degree is from, and all of the universities listed except ER are public schools. I know for a fact that UND, Purdue, and Riddle have all had agreements over the years with regionals that have gotten people jobs @ 500 TT. You can't go through the FBOs and get hired @ those numbers. Each school has agreements with diffrent airlines (PU-TSA, Chautuaqua, now PSA? ER- AE and CoEx?, UND- Piendmont I think). In addition, these schools send lots of people to internships which will help you get the job you want (@ Alaska you get a garunteed interview hwne you meet mins if you don't piss anyone off). That's not to say that this is the only, or even best route to take. There's a lot to be said for other schools, and even pursuing an unrelated 4 year degree while training on the side. A school's reputation is not neccesarily the same as its quality; I'm sure there are many lesser known programs that produce very good pilots.

To make your own decision, you really need to figure out what you want. Where in the country do you want to live? What kind of activities do you enjoy? What kind of options will you have if you dcide to change majors? Pick a school you will be HAPPY at. I strongly reccomend visiting campuses (might not be easy from HK but you can combine the trips). Talk to students outside of the controlled envirement (ie not the tour guides). Ask the admissions people the hard questions (placement %s for jobs and internships, dropout %s, average student loans oustanding after graduation) and demand hard numbers (not anecdotes of succcesful students, every school has those).

My personal observations- UND guys DO get respect. My circles may be a little pacific northwest-centric but they definately have a good rep @ Alaska and Horizon. Most of the UND people I've met were VERY professional and knowledgable. If you want to rule it out, do it becuase of the weather, not becuase of the progam.

Riddle seems to give very good flight instruction, I've thus far been very impressed by the depth and thought that goes into their training system here. And it is possible to get your flying done quickly here. I don't know it all yet, and one of the biggest complaints does seem to be the time it can take to get through the training, but one of the guys in the new hire class graduated with his CFII in 2 years with a BS. My understanding is he took high course loads and summer school, but it IS possible.

Purdue offers a large school with lots of options. They have great industry connections and a reletively small student body, so it was my impression that placement was a bit better. You have the oppurtunity to flgiht instruct while you're a student (and mot people do), so that you graduate with more hours and actual work experience. The course includes @ least 10 free gours flying in the right seat of the kingair, which is blast, and every year several (I think 10 now?) students are selected to fly the Beechjet (also free, and this on includes an all expense paid trip to beutiful Flight Safety). The last 2 years @ PU include a weekly sim lab (it was the 727 when i was there, but i tihnk they have a 738 now), which is really cool. I learned a lot about CRM in there, though I'm not sure if it was actauly worth the $$ in the end.

Anyway, feel free to contact me though my profile if you have any other Q's.
When in doubt, one B pump off

KaiGywer

Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:07 am

If you always want to fly in sunshine and no clouds, I'm sure ERAU is great. If you want some real weather, some Actual IFR, the knowledge that comes with winter flying, choose UND. I toured UND and I really liked it, but chose Minn State U instead because of cost (what the hell was I thinking???).
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

USAir734

Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:16 am

I am at Riddle now and while it is over priced, there is some real advantages to the program. They have a real dedicated staff there and if you get on board with the right people, they will do anything to see to it that you succeed. now I don't know much about the other schools you mentioned, but IMHO Riddle is a hell of a school. However, I know that many people either love or hate it so I don't blame you for taking either side. I'm just saying that it is a good school and they do know what they're doing. And just about the weather, wake up at 6 am every morning and you will get some real IFR flying. It's kind of nice to not get weathered all the time. Thats one thing Florida is good for at least.

pilotpip

RE:

Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:22 am

The only thing on this fourm that can start more debate than A vs. B is college. A lot of what you see written here is strictly opinion and hearsay. Yeah, it may give you a leg up to go to one over the other with certain companies but in the end, the degree is only one part of the puzzle. Personality and ability matter more from what I find.

My advice: Don't ask the clowns here which one is the best. Find out for yourself. Any respectable university is going to go out of their way to attract your tuition dollars. Visit the school, talk to the students, talk to the staff, look around and see what fits you best. I made calls to about 10 schools about their aviation program. This got me information in the mail from all of them and a few even called me. From this, I determined that I wanted to visit three of them, whittled it down to two from there and it took a number of visits to each to decide. In the end, the decision was made more out of personal reasons than what each program had to offer. Purdue, OSU, Riddle, Parks, UND, and others mentioned here are all good schools but for different reasons that set them apart from each other. What fits one doesn't fit all. So far, that's about the only thing value that I see in this thread.

Without plugging too much, I got to Parks College of Engineering and Aviation. If you'd like to know more about the school, feel free to email me. I'm a 5th year student and I'm pretty involved on campus so I can answer questions about Parks and St. Louis University in general.
DMI

BOS2LAF

Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:28 am

As for Purdue, you might want to read up on whether or not international students can do flight here, I remember reading something about that when I was considering going into flight. Prolly one of those post-9/11 rules or something. I dunno, I'm in Aviation Management, so I dont know a whole lot about the flight school.

I noticed they seem to have a lot of students do flight ops internships at Alaska Airlines and Chautauqua, and i know a few people that interned at flyi/ACA.

If youre worried about locking yourself into flight, Purdue has a minor in Aviation management for flight students, or you can do a minor in just about any area you can fit in your class schedule.

Theres also a lot of opportunities for undergrad research (for any aviation major). Right now theres teams working with United, jetBlue, ATA (not sure how much longer that will be around), FAA, IBMs flight dept, and TIMCO (3rd party maintenance). You get a lot of experience, and you make a lot of valuable contacts.

I know they were supposed to have a 738 sim built, but im not sure what happened to that. Right now they have a 727-100 and 727-200 sim.

Ultimately, it doesnt really make a difference which school you go to for your degree, youll get a good education at any of those schools. You just have to choose the one you think youll like living at the most.

ramerinianair

Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:57 am

Obviously this is a lot of opinion. What you need to do is visit the schools in question. I visited ERAU in Daytona and I loved the school. I won't be able to attend for my first 2 years due to $$ though. If you go to the school and walk on the campus, you can tell if that school is for you.
SR
W N = my Worst Nightmare!!!!!

N766UA

Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:00 am

WMU and UND are among the top 3, why wouldn't you want to go there? I'll be going to WMU after a year of getting pre-reqs out of the way at a local school.

OSU doesn't have that grand of a program. The nearby OU is better in that regard.

777STL

Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:44 am

"I know for a fact that UND, Purdue, and Riddle have all had agreements over the years with regionals that have gotten people jobs @ 500 TT"

And how many people have actually gotten jobs at 500TT?

Don't fall for this crap. Nearly every school out there promises some kind of reciprocal agreement with a regional but few actually deliver. DCA is one of the more notorius ones. Regardless very few people actually graduate from a four year university and walk immediately into a regional job.

PHX based

Boeing7E7

Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:25 am

Either UND or Riddle.

Simply put.

doug_or

Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:51 am

Of the poeple who I graduated with @ Purdue, all of those who I kept in touch with AND instructed while there are working at PSA. That amounts to a grand total of 4. I don't know how the rest of my class has faired, although when TSA interviewed in May (before grad), they put 20 out of 22 in the hiring pool. some of these poeple had already graduated, and just returned to campus for the interview, and i have no idea how long it would take once in the pool to get a class date. Back when the Chautauqua was taking people in big numbers (2001), plenty of instructors were leaving @ graduation. Even after hiring slowed (post 9/11), they still did some hiring (no sure of the TTs for those hired though). Here at Riddle both Ae and CoEx have taken a lot of instructors with relatively low time.

As stateabove, though, there are a lot of questions you need to ask to get the straight story. Finding out where %s of the grad class went is important, as is knowing their average hours whe hired. One or two stories of individuals does not give a full picture.

FlyMKG

Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:29 am

I think you really should consider Western Michigan University. We have a top notch program here and it is only getting better. We fly out of 2 airports - BTL and AZO. Most students get there private at AZO then transition to BTL. All the flight instructors here are very friendly and always willing to help. At the beginning of last semester I was only scheduled for 4 flight slots a week, then my CFI quit his other job and got me another slot for 5 a week. On top of that, I usually had 1 other unscheduled slot a week for a total of 6 a week. My CFI went out of the way to help me get my private. Our fleet consists of Cessna 172Rs, Piper Arrows, Piper Senecas, Piper Seminoles, Extra 300s, and a Piper Floatplane. The rumor around town is that we are going to get some new Cirrus aircraft within the next 6 months. We also have a T-34 Mentor that's undergoing some restoration so that students can fly it. The college is also leasing a Cessna 425 for one dollar a year for the next 5 years.

The area is pretty great place too. When it is warm outside Lake Michigan is less than an hour away. When it is cold outside there are places to go skiing that aren't too far away. Western's sporting events are also a blast to go too. Western is also known for its abundance of hot chicks.

If your looking for a place to go that is a great overall college experience, I would say come to WMU.

MidnightMike

Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:36 am

CaptainTim

Check out
http://www.jetcareers.com

They have dedicated sections to the schools that you were questioning & the good part is that active members are attending the schools.

Mike
NO URLS in signature

N160LH

Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:58 am

Nothing will look better at the end of the day (in the aviation world), than a degree from ERAU. I attend ERAU extended campus school at JRB in Fort Worth, so of course I would say go to ERAU. However, another school that I looked into that nobody has mentioned yet is Oklahoma (OU).
N160LH

OU aviation link -
http://www.aviation.ou.edu/

ERAU link
http://www.embryriddle.edu/

[Edited 2005-01-09 23:01:01]
"I do alright up in the air, its down on the ground that I tend to mess up..."

KFLLCFII

Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:02 am

777STL:

"I know for a fact that UND, Purdue, and Riddle have all had agreements over the years with regionals that have gotten people jobs @ 500 TT"

And how many people have actually gotten jobs at 500TT?

Don't fall for this crap. Nearly every school out there promises some kind of reciprocal agreement with a regional but few actually deliver. DCA is one of the more notorius ones. Regardless very few people actually graduate from a four year university and walk immediately into a regional job.

Regardless of what agreements may be in place between a school and an airline, it is and has always been up to the student to be the best he or she can be. To the airlines, a minimum flight time requirement is just one piece of the puzzle, and they know that anyone can build time with sufficient funds. What they really look for in a candidate is character, professionalism, and determination, and this could never be guaranteed by any school; it is up to the student to develop these skills. If you want an airline job at 500 hours, you can have it. The only catch is that you must present yourself in a manner befitting that of a 5,000-hour pilot, not a 500-hour pilot.
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

N160LH

Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:08 am

kfllcfii -

Very well said!

I would have to totally agree... Just remember in today's world a 4 year degree does not seperate you from the pack, it just brings you up to the playing field!

N160LH

Newark777

Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:21 am

On a similar note, if I want to become a pilot and I am attending a school without an aeronautics program, should I just pay for flight training at a local airport? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

thegreatchecko

Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:22 am

"Regarding airlines "backing up" or "sponsoring" flight programs, if you're an ERAU grad, you don't even need it. Just the name alone says enough to the airlines without us even saying a word. Job interviews around the aviation industry become simpler and quicker, because interviewers already know that their education is top-notch, and that there's no need to really test the candidate's knowledge in detail. If you don't believe me, you can ask any of my classmates who have already experienced this special treatment first-hand. I know many people have posted on A.net in the past that the name "ERAU" gets you nothing more than anyone else, but those posts were from non-ERAU students who either didn't want to believe it was going on, or who did and didn't want to admit it. Expensive? You get what you pay for. Yes, I paid extra for special treatment. If that makes you mad, well you had the same opportunity."

With all due respect, KFLLCFII, it isn't that people don't like Riddle, its a great school, especially on the engineering side.

It's that some people and companies don't like the attitude that some Riddle grads have. A person isn't entitled to anything if they graduate from Riddle anymore than I am graduating from Parks. We both have to work for what we want just as hard.

Honestly, I'm not looking forward to working with someone if they have that kind of attitude.

GreatChecko
"A pilot's plane she is. She will love you if you deserve it, and try to kill you if you don't...She is the Mighty Q400"

thegreatchecko

Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:31 am

Harry,

Its not a bad idea if your goal is to become a pilot.

To be a pilot you just need a college degree, it doesn't necessarily mean that it has to be in aeronautics.

If you have the money, starting your private pilot license, etc. would be a good idea. My one piece of advice is to do your training via a Part 141 flight school. The training tends to be more standardized which is a good thing if your goal is to fly for an airline or go corporate.

Another option would be to go to one of the schools that offer a ab-initio program, like Pan Am or Flight Safety. In that situation, finish your degree, then go there. Investigate the costs further, because I don't know the specifics ($). Check on how the program would be affected if you already had a few licenses.

Good Luck!

GreatChecko

777STL

Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:41 am

" Regardless of what agreements may be in place between a school and an airline, it is and has always been up to the student to be the best he or she can be. To the airlines, a minimum flight time requirement is just one piece of the puzzle, and they know that anyone can build time with sufficient funds. What they really look for in a candidate is character, professionalism, and determination, and this could never be guaranteed by any school; it is up to the student to develop these skills. If you want an airline job at 500 hours, you can have it. The only catch is that you must present yourself in a manner befitting that of a 5,000-hour pilot, not a 500-hour pilot."

You're right, a lot of it is about skills and qualifications, not necessarily what school you went to or what obscene amount of money you paid for that school. But I think you'd agree in that regional new hires with 500TT are hardly the norm, especially in today's economy. It's not as easy as submitting an application and getting a job right off the bat.

"Regarding airlines "backing up" or "sponsoring" flight programs, if you're an ERAU grad, you don't even need it. Just the name alone says enough to the airlines without us even saying a word. Job interviews around the aviation industry become simpler and quicker, because interviewers already know that their education is top-notch, and that there's no need to really test the candidate's knowledge in detail. If you don't believe me, you can ask any of my classmates who have already experienced this special treatment first-hand. I know many people have posted on A.net in the past that the name "ERAU" gets you nothing more than anyone else, but those posts were from non-ERAU students who either didn't want to believe it was going on, or who did and didn't want to admit it. Expensive? You get what you pay for. Yes, I paid extra for special treatment. If that makes you mad, well you had the same opportunity"

With all due respect, I've come to expect this kind of attitude from an ERAU'er. Not really surprising, but at least you're getting some self confidence for your $100k. Seriously though, if you want unbiased opinions on different schools, hit www.jetcareers.com .

PHX based

Newark777

Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:41 am

Thanks for that info. I checked, and its a little pricey (I'm starting from scratch), but I really didn't expect it to be cheap. I'll be going to Lehigh next fall, so it looks like there is a flight school or two over at ABE. I better start saving up my money now.  Smile

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

N160LH

Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:42 am

thegreatchecko

Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:52 am

N160LH,

Thats a measure of engineering programs. By that measure, Parks College of Engineering and Aviation is number four in aerospace engineering and would be the number three (or two if you count all of Riddle as one school) aviation school.

I never paid attention to that survey, because I wasnt going to study engineering.

GreatChecko

N766UA

Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:55 am

On a similar note, if I want to become a pilot and I am attending a school without an aeronautics program, should I just pay for flight training at a local airport? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I do not recommend this route as not only will you not get any college credit for your flying, it's also much more expensive. Getting your PPL, MEL, CFI, CFII etc. from a local airport can cost thousands and thousands of dollars.

KFLLCFII

Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:00 am

TheGreatChecko:

A person isn't entitled to anything if they graduate from Riddle anymore than I am graduating from Parks. We both have to work for what we want just as hard.

I'm not saying that I'm entitled to anything more than someone who didn't graduate from ERAU, but I can't help it if members of the industry treat me differently. What the hell do you want me to do about it ?!?!

SLUAviator

Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:08 am

Look into Parks College to go to school and learn how to fly (not just for engineering). It is the oldest flight school in the country and even more importantly, your tuition costs cover your flight costs. They are the only school in the country who does that. At most of the other schools people have mentioned, flight costs will almost double your tuition. You'll also get 50 hours of multi at Parks, which a lot of schools don't even come close to. You will also get to fly a King Air and get some turbine expierence.

I graduated from Parks so I can tell you that you come out of there knowing how to fly.
What do I know? I just fly 'em.......

gigneil

Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:36 am

By that measure, Parks College of Engineering and Aviation is number four in aerospace engineering and would be the number three (or two if you count all of Riddle as one school) aviation school.

Only among schools with no doctoral program.

The ones with doctoral programs continue to be MIT, Stanford, Cal Tech, et al.

N

planespotting

Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:48 am

Well, everyone else is plugging their school, so i might as well do the same (and mine hasn't been mentioned yet).

University of Dubuque

woooo.

Actually, recent graduates have done quite well from there. My first flight instructor was one year out and he now he is flying for Air Wisconsin out of IAD. My good friend Nick was less than a year out and is now in the right seat of a Saab 340 out of DFW for Eagle. 3 instructors who graduated from UD in december of 03 are now at Express Jet. 2 instructors have recently been hired by Skyway out of milwaukee.

We fly 172's, and Trinidad TB-20's for high performance. Multi we have 2 Piper Seminoles, one is brand new. I've done pretty well. Since going here i've decided that Aviation wasn't for me, but I am still graduating with an Aviation Major, and a Comm major along with that. I have my Commercial Single Engine, and will have my CFI and II by the time i graduate in May. I also was not flying for a whole year (credit problems so no loans and then a broken leg). And to be able to finish up everything is something im quite happy about. I was also the first UD student to get an internship with Southwest Airlines (go me). There are a lot of corporate opportunites around the field and they love to pay students $25/day to go on a trip (rather than hire a full time pilot). My friend Mike will be able to graduate in May and go directly to a commuter job, he has about 150 hours in a Cheyenne now and around 250 total Multi, and about 1400 TT right now from flight instructing and what not.

Bottom line, if you have the drive and pay your dues at UD you will get places. We're not Riddle, were not Purdue and we're sure as fuck not UND.

If you like a moderate size town (60,000), being pretty close to fun cities (Iowa City IA, Madison WI all within 90 mins, and Chicago only 3 hours), and learning to fly in all sorts of conditions (Fog, rain, snow, sleet, Tstorms, etc...) with opportunites for lots of instrument time, then UD may be for you.

But the dude who posted up there about Parks, he's right, that is a great school.
Do you like movies about gladiators?

jfklganyc

Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:00 am

I went to ERAU and while there were some issues getting instructors/ aircraft, it is superior school and the "harvard of the skies." If you go there and apply yourself, doors will be opened to you that would be impossible elsewhere.

One year after graduation, I must say I have no regrets.

PJ

doug_or

Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:46 am

"What they really look for in a candidate is character, professionalism, and determination, and this could never be guaranteed by any school; it is up to the student to develop these skills."

Couldn't agree more. None of the speacial agreements will get you a job. That is always and will always be up to you. Any program or course of study will be what you make it. When I mentioned the diffrent programs and agreements, those are just extra oppurtunites that schools offer; its always up to the individual to distinguish themselves.

LV

Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:51 am

Time For Flight,
Purdue is a state school as well. Purdue is run by the State of Indiana.

thegreatchecko

Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:27 pm

KFLLCFII,

I want you to do nothing about it. Congratulations! I'm happy for you.

I was more commenting on the attitude that seems to just flow from some people.

You did write the paragraph and I'm not making things up about how some feel about Riddle grads.

As Jfklganyc has shown us, you can be proud of your alma mater, which I am sure you are, without coming off as being stuck up.

Whether or not Riddle grads gets special treatment isn't the issue here, you are probably right. It's that the ego can be a bit grating and there are some in the industry that can't stand it.

Pilot's have a big enough ego as it is, we don't need anymore to punctuate it.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

GreatChecko

JetJock22

Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:31 pm

As a current Buckeye, here's my adivce: STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM OSU'S FLIGHT PROGRAM. It is the poorest run, no one to help you piece of shit program I have ever been a part of. And I love Ohio State, but their flight program is bad. Just plain bad.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos