Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

iowaman
Topic Author

United Announces More ORD-Hong Kong

Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:33 am

Press Release Source: United Airlines

United Airlines to Expand Nonstop Service to China with Three More Flights from Chicago to Hong Kong
Thursday January 13, 11:09 am ET
United's Added Service Will Offer Travelers More Flexibility and Continues Asia-Pacific Service Expansion

CHICAGO, Jan. 13 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- United Airlines, the leading U.S. carrier to China, is expanding its service to Hong Kong to meet growing customer demand. United in June will launch three more flights between Chicago and Hong Kong, for a total of 10 nonstop flights per week.

"As the only U.S. carrier with nonstop Chicago-Hong Kong service, we have seen increased customer demand for this service during the past 18 months," said Mark Schwab, Vice President-Pacific. "United is pleased to further improve our service by providing additional flights to Hong Kong for customers and cargo traveling from the U.S. Midwest and East Coast."

Beginning June 7, on Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays, United Flight 829 will depart Chicago at 3:10 p.m. and arrive in Hong Kong at 7:45 p.m. the next day. Starting June 10, on Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays, United Flight 828 will depart Hong Kong at 10:10 a.m. and arrive in Chicago at 11:40 a.m. the same day. Customers who book and fly a paid, qualifying roundtrip flight through united.com by Dec. 31, 2005, will earn a booking bonus of 1,000 bonus miles.*

"These extra flights will add welcome capacity to the Chicago-Hong Kong market," said Schwab. "United remains committed to offering our customers more convenient, award-winning travel options and more cargo capacity between the United States and the Pacific."

The increased flight frequencies will add up to 50 tons of extra cargo space nonstop to Hong Kong. United will operate this combined passenger and cargo service using a Boeing 747-400 aircraft configured with 14 United First Suite® seats, 73 United Business® seats and 260 United Economy® class seats, including 88 Economy Plus® seats.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050113/cgth033_1.html

JoFMO

RE: United Announces More ORD-Hong Kong

Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:53 am

Regarding the long going rumor that AA will also begin to fly ORD-HKG I would call it an pre-emptive strike.

UnitedTristar

Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:47 am

This route has been VERY popular with both passengers and cargo customers. It very commonly takes weight restrictions in the passenger cabin for more cargo revenue...rumor has it, this flight can run empty upstairs and still turn a profit. I would say that its mostly for cargo and it also has the benefit of flooding the market with seats making it less attractive to potential competitors.

-m

Big thumbs up

ozvirginuk

Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:37 am

I am a UA fan through and through. But on their International 744's they have not upgraded their IFE. I belive in this day and age that this is unacceptable.. Other operators on this route are really leaving UA in the dark ages. CX and SQ have long had better IFE. What I wonder is why have UA got personal IFE in their international 763's and 777's, yet they have not bothered to upgrade 744's which operate some their longest flights (eg SFO - SYD ) and ( ORD - HKG ) why why why????? Economy plus helps in terms of comfort, but IFE is gonna make the ride just that much better........

roseflyer

Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:56 am

Can passengers coming off ORD-HKG connect to UA's flight to Vietnam. If so, is this a reason for more passengers going through HKG for UA?
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

ConcordeBoy

Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:07 am

...ooooh, right in the heart for AA.

How much will it suck to be that airline if it loses PRC rights once again, AND gets too outmuscled in capacity to start ORD-HKG?  Laugh out loud
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

mlsrar

Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:14 am

Other operators on this route are really leaving UA in the dark ages.

Like their *-Alliance partner from Germany with whom they frequently code-share?  Insane
I mean, for the right price I’ll fight a lion. - Mike Tyson

tpac

Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:16 am

AA has no one to blame but themselves. They have stupidly sat on starting ORD-HKG for many years, despite having a hub-to-hub network with CX and put all of their cards on getting a redundant ORD-PVG authority.

REALLY poor planning on their part.....

Anybody know what the latest guess(rumor) is for the '05 China route award? Will CO get EWR-PEK in '05?

gigneil

Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:21 am

Can passengers coming off ORD-HKG connect to UA's flight to Vietnam.

Yes.

N

B2443

Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:34 am

...put all of their cards on getting a redundant ORD-PVG authority.

Well what AA could have applied for instead of ORD-PVG? They probably thought even a "redundant" ORD-PVG would yield better than, say DFW-PVG, or JFK-PVG (considering AA lacking feeders at JFK)? They must have thought thru and thru to make up its mind, not specifically from " the chance of being approved" stand point but from "business" and profit stand point.

ConcordeBoy

Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:55 am

They have stupidly sat on starting ORD-HKG for many years, despite having a hub-to-hub network with CX and put all of their cards on getting a redundant ORD-PVG authority.

REALLY poor planning on their part.....

There's other factors to it than that.

AA and CX haven't been operating that closely for much more than two years, and also their 772ERs were not equipped to op routes of that distance throughout most of those aircrafts' history. Same with DL's.

Carpethead

Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:48 pm

Interesting that UA has been announcing additional flights that operate not on a daily basis including previously announced increase in LAX-SYD sector.
By the way, IFE is the last thing I care about selecting airlines. I would prefer more leg room than have a PTV.
UA also has more dire problems than installing PTVs in its 744 coach cabin.

FriendlySkies

Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:11 pm

I am a UA fan through and through. But on their International 744's they have not upgraded their IFE. I belive in this day and age that this is unacceptable.. Other operators on this route are really leaving UA in the dark ages. CX and SQ have long had better IFE. What I wonder is why have UA got personal IFE in their international 763's and 777's, yet they have not bothered to upgrade 744's which operate some their longest flights (eg SFO - SYD ) and ( ORD - HKG ) why why why????? Economy plus helps in terms of comfort, but IFE is gonna make the ride just that much better........

Not sure if you've been living under a rock, but UA is in CHAPTER 11 BANKRUPTCY...even if they wanted to, they could not possibly justify the immense cost of installing full IFE systems in 40+ 747s. We're talking about millions of dollars THEY DON'T HAVE. If IFE was such a big deal to everyone, nobody would fly UA. On this route, and most other trans-Pac, it doesn't seem to decrease UA's loads, the planes are always full...UA will update the IFE when it can afford it. Right now, they have more important things to worry about, like SURVIVING...

jacobin777

Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:48 pm

is/was AA even considering ORD-HKG? I think their 772's will be should able to handle it.
"Up the Irons!"

aa777jr

Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:54 pm

I think their 772's will be should able to handle it

yes they can

I haven't heard anything on ORD-HKG for AA in a while, what is the delay?

A liberal is a man who is right most of the time, but he's right too soon.

ConcordeBoy

Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:54 pm

I haven't heard anything on ORD-HKG for AA in a while, what is the delay?

...the route was tentatively scheduled to begin this year after agreements with pilots could be reached for rest area and contractual clauses/obligations for flights exceeding 15hrs in duration.

RyanAFAMSP

Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:28 pm

In response to questions about the IFE on the UA 747-400s, its all about the boom and bust economic cycles. The 777s were delivered with the DVS-9 PTV entertainment system, and the 767-300ERs recieved it in interior upgrades. The 747-400s were also scheduled to get it, I believe beginning in 2000, but the entire situation began to collapse at United during that period. All flight crew expected the 747 fleet to be upgraded, but we were told by engineering that the PTV project had been put on hold effective mid-2000. The others are correct about the Chapter 11 process and lack of capital funds explaining why the retrofit project has not ocurred.

It is also important to note that there has been a significant amount of dispute in upper management, especially at the end of the Goodwin administration prior to the Chapter 11 filing, about the future of the 747-400 fleet at United. By mid-2002 I believe we had almost 20 airframes down at VCV, and we were hearing internal rumors that only the SYD and HKG operations would be serviced by the 747 fleet. United has (thankfully, and logically) changed directions, once again making great use of this valuable iron in its fleet. I think you will see IFE upgrades in the future when and if the financial situation improves, because today the airline is much more committed to continued 747 operations, both in the Atlantic and Pacific, than it was in the 2001-2003 period.

Overall the increased ORD-HKG flights are great news for United. This is where they have a real comparative advantage. The 747-400 is fast and is an excellent heavy cargo hauler. These are the solutions that we need on the revenue side of the equation. The chaos of the RJ F-gates at O'Hare evidence the futility of the cost-control-only model. Flight 829 seems to be the way to provide a more productive solution to United's problems.

United Airline

Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:52 pm

I am sure UAL will install new first and business class seats, as well as PTVs in economy class once their financial status improves.

While I like PTVs, it is not a must. The window is my PTV!!!!!!

mymiles2go

Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:58 pm

Why on earth would United re-install new first class seats? They are already suites on all International aircraft sans the very limited numbers of 763's serving South America and a European route or two.

tsully

Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:10 pm

I agree that United will upgrade things such as IFE and seats only when they can justify the cost. While some pax may buy a ticket based on IFE options, most care only about price. I'm sure United knows that they are behind the eight ball when it comes to IFE and a super-luxurious first class cabin, but apparently these things don't currently justify the expenditure.

Look at the new p.s. service...there was undoubtedly a huge cost involved in launching the new brand, but UA believes the investment will pay off.

I love America. I guess that makes me Bush's poodle, but I'd rather be a dog in New York City than a prince in Riyadh.

aa777jr

Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:37 pm

So ORD-HKG will begin in May or June? How many 772 will AA have to commit to this route?

DABVF

Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:37 pm

Here the flight details for United's ORD-HKG flights by 07th June 2005:

UA0828 | HKG-ORD | _2__5_7 | 10:10-11:40 | 744
UA0829 | ORD-HKG | _2__5_7 | 15:10-19:45(+1) | 744
UA0895 | ORD-HKG(-SIN) | 1234567 | 12:35-17:10(+1) | 744
UA0896 | (SIN-)HKG-ORD | 1234567 | 12:45-14:15 | 744

United Airline

Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:09 pm

Well they can improve their first class product still. In my opinion, the UA one lacks behind CX and SQ's in terms of privacy.

CarbHeatIn

Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:07 pm

Excellent Post RyanAFAMSP!

ORD2PHL

Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:27 pm

Other operators on this route are really leaving UA in the dark ages

and those operators would be?

"As the only U.S. carrier with nonstop Chicago-Hong Kong service"

Got it, I'm sure UA will address IFE on the 744's if and when the stablize.

ORD2PHL

SLUAviator

Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:42 am

Ozvirginuk, UA is the only carrier with non-stop service from ORD to HKG. Nobody else has pax planes on that route though there is freight service with a stop in ANC. How can anyone leave UA in the dark ages on that route when there is nobody else flying that route?

RyanAFAMSP, chaos on the F-gates where the RJs are huh? Have you been over to terminal 2 lately? ZW has those gates running better then they have in years. On lots of days, the Express operation beats mainline so tell me where the chaos lies? The most impressive part of that operation is we do it with lots--and let me be clear, not all-- of the mainline guys doing their best to tank our operation. They don't drop off bags at the right gates (not always their fault), or they throw them in the baggage system when they are hot and should ramp them to the gate. My favorite is United guys will sit on the bags for over an hour and a half and then throw them in the system 10 minutes after departure time. Please don't open your mouth about chaos in the F-gates when clearly you are not so well informed of our situation there.
What do I know? I just fly 'em.......

collegestud

Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:09 am

Sound good for that route. I flew from ORD to HKG in late June 2000. One thing that I hate the return flight (HKG-ORD) was 830 am. I see the schedule changed to noon. I will go back to HKG next December for visiting my relatives. I support UA's expand schedule for ORD-HKG. I wish CX can launch ORD with Airbus 346.

RyanAFAMSP

Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:03 am

SLUAviator,

Sorry - I didn't mean to imply that all the frontline people at UAX over in T2 aren't doing a good job. Quite the opposite. Every time I've flown through that operation I am impressed by how much everyone gets done and how many tough logistical problems are worked out. I am just frustrated the UA has continued to outsource without fully functional plan to make these operations run smoothly at the hub airports. Meanwhile, they have so much of their own iron idle in the desert. The main point I wanted to make wasn't that UAX is responsible for United's problems, but rather that using the 747-400 fleet to its maximum potential will be a great way to maximize revenue in a difficult marketplace.

gigneil

Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:07 am

So ORD-HKG will begin in May or June? How many 772 will AA have to commit to this route?

No. Its not going to start in May or June.

It would require 2 airplanes at a minimum, if they were to launch it.

With UA up to 10 weekly AA would be at a signficant disadvantage if they started now.

N

aa777jr

Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:37 am

day late, dollar short for AA, what is so precious about a DFW-KIX route for AA?

good to see UA doing well enough to add planes to this route.

[Edited 2005-01-15 01:38:23]

FA4UA

Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:30 am

The number one decision driver for economy class passengers to choose one airline over another is not the onboard entertainment. Price comes to mind and second would be schedule from the little I know about consumer demand in this industry.

I've been working lots of our Asian flights over the past six months... can't remember one going out with less than 100% full in Economy. Apparently PTV's don't make a big difference.

Sure it would be nice, and UA management has said that as our financial position turns around they'll look into upgrades for PTV's on the 744's. Until then, there's no use stressing about it.

RYANAFAMSP: well said in your above posts.

FA4UA
The debate continues... Starwood or Hyatt... which is better

star_member

Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:08 am

have flown on UA 744 flights between SYD-LAX and SYD-SFO. the extra leg room in economy plus is what makes me choose them. i wouldn't fly QF on the SYD-LAX route even though they have IFE - no leg room! also flown on their 763 US to south america and back, didn't really use the IFE anyway as the flights were overnight. IFE is very useful if the flights are daylight flights.

SegmentKing

Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:56 pm

Northwest doesn't have Personalized IFE on their Diesel 10s or Boeing 747 fleet.... so why make United sound like its in the stone ages?

-n
~ ~ ~ ~ pRoFeSsIoNaL hUrRiCaNe DoDgEr ~ ~ ~ ~

Carfield

Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:48 pm

I think for Asian passengers, price is a large incentive, but you have to understand Asian passengers also tend to base their decisions on other aspects such as food, safety record, and entertainment. That is why CX can somehow charge slightly more than other airlines and still have a loyal following in HK. SQ is the same case especially on SFO-HKG, which is an established route. I noticed that most of my HK friends will stick with an airline after they find their service to be good, such as SQ on SFO-HKG, and CI on JFK-TPE, and BR EWR-TPE.

But United has a secret weapon... it has a very geneous mileage plus program and I can say that without the extremely good MP program, United's Asian opeartions will not be this successful. Its Premier program is also a success and the access to Y+ is a key to win many loyal followings. UA has developed a loyal following in this sense too, and also the ORD-HKG flight... of course, ORD-HKG provides easy connections to and from East Coast and Toronto.

If people purely choose price over service, they will be flying NW (often cheaper than UA), KE, OZ, CI, BR, and PR. UA is not bad in terms of price, but not the cheapest. Often these cheaper airlines have better service, but of course their Milaege program is lightyear behind UA.

Congratulation on the new ORD-HKG flights... it is good to see more UA 747s in HK... HK seems to remain one of the few cities that get exclusive Boeing 747s (SYD and MEL are also exclusive 747 cities).

I have faith that UA will eventually put IFEs on Boeing 747s once the financial situation improved. It has been a hot rumor that the p.s. new first class seats will be the future of United's Business class. But I am sure if UA finances do not improve, we will not see major cabin refresh.

Carfield

zvezda

Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:07 am

I had expected to see LAX-HKG reinstated before an expansion of ORD-HKG. Wrong again.  Smile

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos