Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

n685fe
Topic Author

Do You Avoid JFK

Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:28 am

I was planning a trip to central and southern Europe this summer. While I was looking at the flights, I noticed subconsciously that I was avoiding the international flights to and from JFK. Does anyone else do this? I probably will go for the flights out of ATL.

psp. lead by example

alb222

RE: Do You Avoid JFK

Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:33 am

Depends where you are connecting from. Coming from the west coast, the flights thru ATL would be longer. ATL in summer can have weather problems. Go with the best connection and best fare. If you are changing airlines at JFK, leave yourself enough time to do that. If you are connecting DL to DL for instance, there should be no problem. I don't think JFK is all that bad. Have had good and bad experiences at both. Is CVG a possibilityfor your connection?

airgeek12

Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:45 am

Me too!! Except for I want to go to JFK heh. I love the whole "airport scene" shin-dig! lol

rjpieces

Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:49 am

No, rather, I try to fly from JFK whenever possible. There is simply no other airport in North America where you get the full international experience as much as at JFK.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

n685fe
Topic Author

Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:07 pm

I was shying away from JFK due to the number of international flights that have been involved in accidents.

SwissAir 111
EgyptAir 990
TWA 800

Nothing factual to make my decision, just noticed myself not wanting to fly out of JFK. I admit, my choice will cost me more time, almost two extra hours. Now to fly domestically into JFK I seem to have no problem, just going east over the pond.

psp. lead by example

ltbewr

Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:12 pm

I live in New Jersey, so generally prefer to use EWR as easier for someone to pick me up or drive to/from and leave the car at the airport. I have used JFK in the past, but then to get to home, need to take a bus to midtown, to PABT, then bus to NJ near home there. Can take 2+ hours depending on traffic, and cost me $25+

expressjetphx

Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:18 pm

I always try to go thru JFK...I just make sure that I have plenty of connection time because I love seeing all the int'l heavies (all we have in PHX is a daily BA 744 and a Hawaiian 763 that I never see) and the lounges are usually great too. Last summer I went thru ATL on a PHX-ATL-MAD/return trip, and besides having an extremely long way to go to get to the int'l concourse it wasn't all bad, customs was very easy on the way back.

AA B777-200

Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:05 pm

N685FE,

Sometimes, airlines (via internet) don't show a certain flight if the flight is fully booked or when there is a shorter connection.

Last time I was on DL through JFK, we arrived about the same time as lots of other European flights and it took ages to get through customs. Ofcourse I missed my flight to Florida and ended up buying a new ticket on AA out of La Guardia.

If I had a choice I'd pick an airport where there's less international arrivals. Or plan a flight that arrives with not too many international arrivals at the same time.

AMS

Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:05 pm

I think that JFK has more limited domestic connections then for example EWR. However as stated before; JFK does have a special international feeling, since most (International) Airline companies fly in/out of JFK.

Regards,
AMS

LHSTR

Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:16 pm

JFK is probably the worst airport in North America.

The connection to downtown is awful, even with the new AirTran. Immigration can be a very long experience, the airport is congested and connecting is awful, due to Terminal changes.

So when going to New York, I fly into EWR and when going somewhere else, I try to fly through some other airport.

AA787

Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:57 pm

It depends on the terminal you're going to be using. But I would always go to JFK, because its fun! Is a totally new experience. It's like watching an ivy league school play basketball and then going to watch a NBA team. All the big airlines are here, with their big planes, big lounges, and big flights. Everything is bigger at JFK.

AA787

JGPH1A

Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:08 pm

The JFK experience depends a lot on two things

1. The terminal you fly into/out of
2. Whether you have to change terminals

Some terminals at JFK are perfectly pleasant, e.g. T7 (BA, UA) and T1 (AF, LH et al) - others suck big time, eg T3 (DL International), which is an absolute hole. Unfortunately for me, if I find myself returning home via New York, I inevitably end up travelling on the direct DL JFK-NCE service, via the wonderful T3.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos