Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

iadguy73
Topic Author

ATA Military Shuttles Through BUD

Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:38 am

Does anyone have information on the frequency and destinations of the military shuttle service ATA flies between the U.S. and the Middle East? I know those TriStars do a fuel stop at Ferihegy, BUD.

Also, does any other U.S. carrier ferry troops to the Middle East on a regular basis?

eksath
Crew

RE: ATA Military Shuttles Through BUD

Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:51 am

Sorry. But this type of info should not be posted in a public forum. It should be on a "need to know" basis. If you dont know it,you dont need to know it. Smile/happy/getting dizzy

I am sure you understand the implications of such info in the wrong hands.
World Wide Aerospace Photography

Thomas_Jaeger

Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:01 am

Most of these flights are even listed on flights trackers everyone can access. I have lived in Shannon in Ireland for half a year and all eastbound military charters operated by ATA, World, North American, Omni and the likes were shown on flight trackers ...
Swiss aviation news junkie living all over the place

iadguy73
Topic Author

Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:11 am

Eksath,

While I understand your worries, let's not get paranoid. The propaganda of the Bush administration must have gotten to you. I was not asking for big details and as Thomas indicated those flights are even on the flight tracker.

And btw, I work at the Department of Homeland Security in airline security. Working at a large international airport I see things every day potentially lot more dangerous to aviation security than information posted on this forum.  Nuts

ANCFlyer

Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:17 am

Iadguy73 And btw, I work at the Department of Homeland Security in airline security.

So what. Can you prove that on this forum. And if you did it wouldn't matter.

I'm forced to agree here. Posting this information - a schedule if you will - of MAC flights is not a smart idea.

The propaganda of the Bush administration must have gotten to you

Nope, it's called common sense. I don't foresee anyone posting a "schedule" here. If they do, it should be removed . . .

Working at a large international airport I see things every day potentially lot more dangerous to aviation security than information posted on this forum.

Yeah, those little old ladies with knitting needles are a terrible threat . . . and that business traveler with the nail clippers . . . .

However, that said, Thomas has a good solution. Check Flight Tracker to see when ATA, World, or Omni are headed that way.

[Edited 2005-01-30 20:25:11]
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

SATL382G

Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:29 am

AMC (MAC is the old name) no longer posts flight schedules on the web for security reasons and I see no good reason to post the schedules here.

Use the flight trackers, good luck to you.

Iadguy73 -- If you really are Homeland Security I wouldn't advertise it on this site.
"There’s nothing quite as exhilarating as being shot at and missed" --Winston Churchill

ANCFlyer

Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:31 am

AMC (MAC is the old name)

Yup, my bad . . .

New: Air Mobility Command

Old: Military Airlift Command

Same stuff, different day.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

iadguy73
Topic Author

Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:47 am

ANCFlyer,

The only term that comes to my mind is "reading comprehension". Read my original post again and you realize that the word "schedule" is not in there. Nor my request for such detailed information. By frequency I meant an approximate number of times per week or month these flights operate.

By saying that I work for DHS I only meant to convey that I do have common sense not to request any sensitive or classified information. I was not trying to prove anything to anyone.

Your comment about the little old ladies...if you have any common sense then you know I was not refering to TSA's screening policies. I do disagree with some of them myself, btw.

I used to fly on MAC flights as I served in the military myself...but as you said "So what. I can't prove it on here and if I could it didn't matter."  Smokin cool

iadguy73
Topic Author

Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:54 am

SATL382G,
Ok so now I'm the bad guy because I work to keep your safety in the sky? Sure aviation security is not perfect and probably most in the airline industry are not very found of DHS but all of you working for airlines and aviation..think about what would happen to the already volatile aviation business after another serious aviation incident even if it's on a lot smaller scale than 9/11.

ANCFlyer

Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:01 am

on the frequency and destinations of

I meant an approximate number of times per week or month these flights operate

I didn't fail reading comp - and appears as though everyone else got the same idea . . .

Frequency and Destination = Schedule.
number of times per week or month = Schedule.

Maybe I just missed something . . .  Yeah sure

Thomas_Jaeger

Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:05 am

It really is PUBLIC knowledge, I always wondered why they would publish these flights, but you can really look up all flights coming in and they will arrive within minutes of the arrival time shown in every flight tracker.
Swiss aviation news junkie living all over the place

airbrasil

Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:22 pm

I am sorry folks, but I think this discussion is a bit rediculous.. Well info on Military flight on ATA? What a joke.. just come to LAX on Sunday's the flights is full of soldiers.. Anytime you see a L-1011 or World MD-11 you know what they are here for.. Also just drive by in front of terminal 3 where AMC is and you can figure it out.. I dont see a very high security or anyone trying to "undercover" those military flights. Also it is well know by just searching A.net that the flights stop in FRA and BUD... So if someone if trying to keep a secret here they are doing a very bad job.. Sorry..

Airbrasil

Clipper002

Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:18 am

Airbrasil,
What you're seeing at LAX are channel missions that are scheduled flights operating to the Far East on a weekly basis. They have nothing to do with Iraq at all. The missions to KWI are called expansion missions and are usually picked up about 10 days in advance of the actual operation. Most all originate at an Air Force base or a military installation and end up going to KWI. Others will be dropped off at military installations in the desert. Where they make tech stops is up to the airline so long as it is at a DOD approved station. WO currently uses SNN. This is NOT classified in any way. ATA has been using SNN and BUD for quite some time now. There is no set schedule for any of these flights.

Rgds,
Ed
Ed

SATL382G

Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:30 am

IADguy73,

Ok so now I'm the bad guy because I work to keep your safety in the sky?

A bit sensitive? You're new here and I gave you a piece of friendly advice. If you want to be offended go right ahead....
"There’s nothing quite as exhilarating as being shot at and missed" --Winston Churchill

7e72004

Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:36 am

How much longer can those L1011s be kept running? And will ATA continue the military charters once the cutbacks occur?
The next generation of aircraft is just around the corner!

Clipper002

Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:42 am

Those 1011's will keep running until either they're do for a D check or ATA declares chapter 7. Remember those planes are not leased, they own them so that's one huge cost they've overcome.

Ed
Ed

iadguy73
Topic Author

Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:11 pm

Airbrasil and Clipper002 thanks for your info. It's nice to see some folks on here with common sense, objectivity and without blowing things out of proportion.

I think my request may pose as much danger to those military flights as an immediate threat Saddam was to the US. And no wonder people believed that fool in Washington...

SATL382G,

I'm not offended but how else should I interpret your remark " If you really are Homeland Security I wouldn't advertise it on this site". It certainly does not sound welcoming to me. Would you care to elaborate?

SATL382G

Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:23 pm

You're likely to draw some fire, especially here in civ av. If what I said is a problem for you just ignore it.

regards

airbrasil

Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:45 pm

Well the only thing I really can say is: Dont you love this Forum?  Smile Well I hope those military of what ever it is, helps ATA keeps the good old L-1011 for many years to come, since they are so rare theses days...

Airbrasil..

Flightlover

Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:36 pm

I've also seen a few pictures with B 757s in Budapest and Warsaw also flying military charters. It looks as if this would be their income for now, I am not sure how well they are doing in terms of commercial passenger traffic.

jc2354

Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:43 pm

If the AMC wants to keep these flights a secret, and out of public view, the should avoid civilian airfields and route themselves to military installations. I've accessed them through www.flightarrivals.com many times
If not now, then when?

Clipper002

Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:08 pm

Actually you are not permitted to schedule a tech stop at a military field. That is why we switched our stops from FRA to SNN.

Ed
Ed

ATLhomeCMH

Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:49 am

Hey Clipper002:

I'm sure you remember me, we've talked a lot before about WO.

Just curious...what Concourse at ATL does WO use when they land at Hartsfield?

E? D? I've seen WO jets teeter-tottering around the tarmac at ATL, but I have yet to see one parked at the gate.

Thanks Ed  Smile
"The most terrifying words in the Engligh language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'"-Ronald Reagan

Clipper002

Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:25 am

We're usually out of D-1, but since we're done with the R&R's, you probably won't see to much of at a gate.

Ed
Ed

AeroWesty

Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:00 am

If you doubt military shuttles aren't public info then do a Google search using the phrase "Shannon Warport". It was even extensively discussed in the Dáil Éireann (the Irish House of Representatives) and carried on C-SPAN.

Some of the photos look astoundingly like Berkeley in 1968.

Cheers.
International Homo of Mystery

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos