Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

UK_Dispatcher
Topic Author

Do Independence Air Interline?

Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:42 pm

I am booking some flights MAN-IAD-MCO & rtn for some relatives, and the cheapest combination I could find on the dates required was a special fare with bmi across the pond, and onward flights with Independence Air to MCO.

I was wondering if any Independence Air employees / handling agents could let me know whether they interline baggage from/to other carriers?? Any info would be much appreciated - thanks!

flyCMH

RE: Do Independence Air Interline?

Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:50 pm

Independence does not interline with any other carriers. If your relatives do decide to purchase the itinerary, they will have to pick up their checked luggage in IAD and re-check them in with Independence Air. I would leave a generous amount of time in between their arrival in Washington and their departure to Orlando, incase there's a line at customs, as well as so they're not rushed going back to the main terminal to check their bags to MCO. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

ACAfan

Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:00 pm

Even if it was a UA connection MAN-IAD-MCO, you still have to go through customs at IAD and recheck the bags anyway.
Freddie Laker ... May be at peace with his maker ... But he is a persona non grata ... with IATA

lincoln

Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:25 pm

... Though, if it was an international single-ticket itin I beleive they would have some amount of protection if the inbound was delayed / they got stuck in Customs / whatever. [At least this is how it works on US Domestic interlines. Been there, done that]

Since, AFAIK, IAir does not participate in any of the interline agreements, you would be purchasing two seperate tickets so if anything went wrong and you missed a flight/arrived late you would be on your own.

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

sendMEtoLAS

Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:38 pm

I'd be careful about booking this type of itinerary. If there is a schedule change or flight irregularity, you will be in trouble. I wouldn't do it unless the total fare cost is significantly less, like several hundred dollars less.
Then again, in a worst case senerio you would have to pay to change your ticket with independence. It might not cost too much to change with them vs. many other carriers. If your forced to change your ticket when you arrive at IAD, it's possible that the other independence flights will be booked, and you might be stuck in a hotel that night.

captover

Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:40 am

I work at IAD and I've seen many people transfer from international flights to Independence flights. You have to recheck your bags at the Independence check-in but that wouldn't take more than 3 minutes. It's never crowded. You can also still use the transfer security line, as long as you keep your information from your international flight.

Bicoastal

Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:55 am

Stick with the Star Alliance! Fly BMI and you can have a seamless check-in and transfers to United Airlines at IAD. You'll get all of your boarding passes when you check in at MAN. After clearing customs at IAD, the United transfer baggage staff are right there conveniently located before you exit the International Arrivals area. It's MUCH easier than having to schlepp your luggage upstairs to check in at Independence Air. I can't believe the fare difference would be worth the aggravation and pain of interlining.

And, if one of United's gates is available that day, BMI passengers can use United's exclusive midfield immigration/customs facility for transfers and not have to go all the way to the main terminal's International Arrivals area.

[Edited 2005-02-01 19:20:16]
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

SHUPirate1

Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:02 am

Short answer-no, Independence Air does not interline with ANY carrier...

Answer to what you want to do-go ahead and book that itinerary. For all of their faults, Independence Air has a VERY generous standby/change policy (free if standby same day, 25 dollars if for different day), and, judging by their loads (other than their knuckleheads at HQ, their major problem), you should have no problem getting on. I can't believe I am saying this, but go ahead and book that itinerary.
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

N1120A

Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:04 am

>Even if it was a UA connection MAN-IAD-MCO, you still have to go through customs at IAD and recheck the bags anyway.<

You would, though you would not have the UA expidite counter just after customs.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Lindy

Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:17 am

In the worst case scenario, they will have to pay $25 to Indy Air for changing their flights. Thats nothing.

Rafal
BWIADCA - Nikon D100

allstarflyer

Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:51 am

In light of Bicoastal's persuasion(and it is compelling argument having transfer baggage located before exiting International arrivals), I'd agree with most of the others about considering Independence. There are concerns, like Lincoln mentioned, but it shouldn't be a big deal. SHUPirate made the best point, though those people you mention so fondly, SHUP, work upstairs from me, and they've treated me OK so far. But that's just me.

-R
Living the American Dream

iadguy73

Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:23 pm

UK,

I would only choose a star alliance itinerary if it's significantly cheaper. Just because it's UA interline, however; does not mean that your transfer will be hassle free.
As a connecting passanger on BD 701 from MAN, you may either be brought to the main terminal where you go through immigration/customs and then recheck your bag with TSA or do the same out in the midfield concourse (C gates) where UA mainline and Ted departing. Sometimes they bring passangers to the main terminal and sometimes to the midfield terminal.
If you are droped off in the main terminal, after you recheck your bag, you still have to go upstairs and line up for the security checkpoint, then take the mobile lounge to C gates. Currently, because of construction, the C suttles have to go all the way around B terminal and the whole ride can take up to 10 mins.
If you would fly DH, you woud just take your bag from customs in the main terminal and take it upstairs, check it in, go through security and take the A shuttle which takes about half the time (the shuttle ride).
If you are droped off in the midfield terminal where the C gates are, it may be simpler but not necessarily faster. You not going to have to take the shuttle from the main terminal, but getting through INS and custom may take longer. 90% of the afternoon transatlantic flights from Europe (UA, KL, AZ, OS, LH, SK, BD, VS) come in usually over a short 60 min window. And I'm talking about 12-14 widebodies. So you figure with all those passanger it may take you up to an hour or more to go through the whole process. Same applies to the main terminal as well tho.

IADguy73

Bicoastal

Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:39 am

IADguy73....only UA, one of Lufthansa's flights (the one that comes in to C-2) and the occasional BMI flight can use United's exclusive midfield terminal. AZ, KL, BA, SK, Saudi, Ethiopian, Taca and all of the others have to go the main arrivals area. International transfer passengers who have cleared customs/immigration in the main terminal are given a purple pass which allows them to use the shorter crew/employee security lines in the main terminal.

IADguy73 is blowing out of proportion the mobile lounge ride. They're temporarily detouring around the B terminal due to construction/tarmac improvements. It's actually a nice tour of the airport and doesn't take that long.

Again, stick with Star Alliance...BMI and United (actually it will be United's Ted product to Orlando from Dulles).
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

GMUAirbusA320

Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:29 am

Hey Uk Dispatcher!
Glad you're thinking about taking us.

No, you can't interline your bags, but our check-in process is very fast, and simple.

In your case, I would check-in online up to 24 hours in advance. Once your bags come through customs, go to our counter located on the first escalator on your right after customs. When you get up from the escalator, you'll see our counter to your left. If you use online check-in, all they have to do is put a command in the reservation and print the boarding passes. When you arrive, if you can, immediately cell us to find out the status of your flight. (800) 359-3594. Worst case scenario, if you get too close, ask to be placed on standby for a later flight. Depending on how nice you are (wink, wink) you should be able to get on a later flight. When you get an agent, make sure you ask to speak with someone in the Dulles Headquarters.

Any other questions, don't hesitate to e-mail me. Yeah, I work for the company, just won't say publically what I do...keeps me from getting reemed. PLEASE GIVE YOURSELF 2-3 HOURS BEFORE CATCHING A DH BIRD!

Lindy,
When you change flights the day of...if you're miss your flight, technically you forefit your ticket. You can purchase another ticket. However, if he calls and lets him know the situation you should be money.

Cheers,
GMUAirbusA320

malaysia

Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:38 am

Yeah but wont need interline if they use this on the IAD-LGW route

There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

UK_Dispatcher
Topic Author

Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:54 pm

Thanks for your replies everyone. As a BD employee, I would always get friends and relatives a combined BD/UA friends & family fare, but these have been suspended :-(

I've booked my relatives a f&f fare on the MAN-IAD route, and they're gonna book a seperate UA flight to MCO and back. It's a shame we've had to do it this way - the BD/UA f&f fares were always very good, and I got lots of people booked on those.

GMUAirbusA320 - thanks for your reply. Nice to meet a DH employee. I always like to support 'new' carriers like yourselves, but then maybe it is also in my interests to continue supporting UA - if they go belly up, BD will no doubt suffer from it too!

iadguy73

Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:08 pm

Bicoastal,

You are partially right. Although most of the european carriers come in to the main terminal, UA still have AMS, BRU, CDG, FRA, LHR, ZRH, MUC, MEX and depending on the season/day SJO coming to FIS (midfield concourse), all within 60-90 mins..plus LH 418 from FRA and BD. Depending on time interval between flight arrivals, it can get really sticky. There are about 900-1300 passanger processed in about 2 hours or so.

The shuttle...well if you don't have a whole lot of time to catch your connection it can be a inconvenience. And unless UK's relatives are aviation nerds, who would care to see the ugly, box terminals of IAD and all the construction?

Cheers  Smile/happy/getting dizzy