Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

chrisjake
Topic Author

Big Sky Airlines News

Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:24 am

lots of news at the Big Sky site: http://www.bigskyair.com/

introducing the B1900 in 3/05....looks like they'll be leasing 10 from Mesa. new service to Portland, Sheridan WY, and Denver. also heard that they'll be dropping both Williston and Bismark in N. Dakota on 2/19.

didn't they previously serve DEN?

chris

LineMechQX

RE: Big Sky Airlines News

Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:53 am

Does anyone have thoughts on why they might possibly make a profit on routes from Moses Lake to Portland and Boise. I would have to assume the non stop from Boise is some sort of repositioning for the aircraft. But Portland? If Seattle didn't work out why would Portland? I'm very, very confused by all this. Seems as though if Big Sky couldn't make the route profitable with metros plus the Essential Air Service payment of 500,000 a year then it can't be made profitable with MWH's current economy. Please any ideas? Also any guess on ground servicing in Portland? Still horizon you think?

Late PC

NWDC10

Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:04 am

I E-Mailed Big Sky about PDX and BOI service. I mentioned, "where are the people coming from"? Still no comment from BS. I think the won't make it either. Just shut down MWH and save the tax payers money. Robert NWDC10

airgeek12

Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:09 am

Big Sky looks kind of like those 2 small airlines featured on the "WINGS" tv show- I can catch it on [email protected] sometimes.

sprxUSA

Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:43 am

The costs to utilize PDX as opposed to SEA are supposedly less. Also, with GQ's flight from BIL-MSO-BOI arr in BOI at 11:40am and heads back at 3:20pm. the MWH arr is 12:05pm w/ 3:00pm dep. This will help in getting the plane to BIL for MX or whatever.
I doubt Williston ISN or Bismarck BIS will end 2/19. They would have had some word on this seeing as that is so close to date. But I would not be surprised if it happens eventually.
Yes, GQ has served Denver before. They flew from both BIL and MSO-BZN I think to DEN, then they continued down to their Texas EAS routes via Enid,OK and also a very short lived route nonstop to Roswell,NM and Idaho Falls,ID from DEN. DEN served the same function between their TX routes and Northern ones as BOI will do now for MWH plane.
Finally, there may be some connecting pax from America West thru BOI to PHX. There are/were quite a few from MSO, but I am not sure if this small marketing agreement still exists.
But I wouldn't mind flying from BOI-MWH-PDX for something different. I doubt they'll ever be near full. Their flights from BOI to MT do seem to do very well,though.
I just saw a Grand Forks and Williston news article about GQ pulling out on the 19th. You would think they would give a longer heads up than this. The ISN-BIS route may be replaced with the local FBO in ISN, SERVAIR, flying two scheduled charters to BIS. Oh well, ZK is the major player in ISN anyway.

[Edited 2005-02-05 02:59:04]
Gem State Airlines..."we have a gem of an airline"

copaair737

Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:59 pm

the GQ/HP codeshare is still in effect AFAIK. Isn't there a n/s BIL-BOI flight as well? The GQ website shows it as a route. Also, is GQ going to fly BIL-DEN, or just BIL-Sheridan-DEN? I figured that they would get SF3s long before they got the Beech 1900, but the Beech 1900 has a similar seating capacity to their current metros.

-Copa
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

azjubilee

Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:39 pm

Bigsky will never operate anything more than 19 seats... mgmt will then have to utilize Mesaba Airlines pilots to staff those planes. Maybe they should though, so the Mesaba employees who break their backs every day at work to keep MAIR profitable can share in some of the glory for once! It's hard to watch MAIR, a profitable company only because Mesaba Airlines is profitable, take that money and invest it in BigSky a failing airline... all the while Mesaba employees are constantly pressed for cost savings and increased productivity.

AZJ

NWDC10

Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:54 pm

GQ just needs to look for profitable routes and provide for their own with out a goverment subsidy (EAS). If that includes stop serving MWH, so be it but no more subsidies. Robert NWDC10

SegmentKing

Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:34 am

too bad that most of the Great Lakes, Big Sky, and Air Midwest markets are all EAS (or mostly). Don't forget big daddy Mesaba also serves a handful of EAS markets using the Saabs out of MSP and DTW!

-nate
~ ~ ~ ~ pRoFeSsIoNaL hUrRiCaNe DoDgEr ~ ~ ~ ~

iowaman

Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:54 pm

too bad that most of the Great Lakes, Big Sky, and Air Midwest markets are all EAS (or mostly). Don't forget big daddy Mesaba also serves a handful of EAS markets using the Saabs out of MSP and DTW!

Yes, even mainline NW to BIS,FAR,RAP,GFK,FSD,BZN and more up that way.

SLC1

Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:24 pm

I've always wondered... 19-seat planes (and even 30-seaters, to a lesser extent) seem to be disappearing, what will happen when Metros and Beechcraft become outdated, what will BigSky (assuming they're around then) do?
We're gonna do what we like to call a "jetBlue how do you do", which is slang for dumping a bunch of fuel in the ocean

azjubilee

Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:48 pm

Iowaman - I'm willing to bet that the service to many of the upper midwest cities are not EAS cities. The ones you metioned are too big to probably qualify. That's why NWA uses Mesaba to access markets like these.

AZJ

F9Animal

Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:51 am

The Metro is cheap to pick up. If you outright own them, then you have less in out of pocket expenses. Even the B1900 can be picked up really cheap now. I dont know much about Big Sky, but they seem to be surviving. I would imagine MWH is a good market because of Boeing. Just a guess, but I could be wrong.

Glad to see Big Sky growing. I actually think it is pretty cool to see the Metro still flying.
I Am A Different Animal!!

NWDC10

Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:01 am

GQ didn't make it to SEA so the likelyhood of making it in PDX i think will be less. Robert NWDC10

chrisjake
Topic Author

Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:25 am

i agree with you F9Animal, i think having the Metro still getting people where they need to go is pretty cool.

chris

azjubilee

Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:41 am

Big Sky leases the Metros... apparantly more favorable lease rates were to be had from the Mesa Air Group. It's about time Foley did something with BS... constantly using Mesaba profits to support his ailing whipsaw baby couldn't go on forever!

AZJ

sprxUSA

Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:08 am

Copaair737,
GQ had started BOI-BIL nonstops (2) in May 2002, then went to one BIL and one MSO, then one BIL-MSO-BOI and back routing. They just re-instated a nonstop to BIL (Sa Only) and return (Su Only) to get the MWH based SWM to BIL on weekends. Their route map on their website never showed them stopping the nonstops to BIL. How damn hard is it to update a route map. Just like SkyWest's still shows flights from DFW (As of 2/6). Just a peeve of mine, if you have an informational site, keep the damn info current!!!!!

I guess after they complete the switch over to BE1900Ds, only way to be a pax on a SWM will be via PenAir out if Anchorage, or Lynx in FLL.
Gem State Airlines..."we have a gem of an airline"

Biggles

Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:41 am

FYI a sad looking Big Sky Metro , N1119K arrived at YYC this afternoon.It's parked at the Avmax maintenance hangar . It badly needs a wash and a paint job !

QuestAir

Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:36 am

See a lot of 'BS' at GEGBig grin
'Do we carry rich people on our flights? Yes, I flew on one this morning and I�m very rich.' - Michael O'Leary

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos