Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

kevin82277
Topic Author

Independence Air To Continue To Expand West

Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:05 pm

Independence Air has plans to open 5 more west coast cities in Mid April and Early May. SAN and LAX in mid April. Then SFO, SJC, and SEA in Early May. Hopefully these will help IDE surrive longer. Only time will tell. One thing, those will be long flights with no entertainment on board.

Aeroflot777

RE: Independence Air To Continue To Expand West

Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:11 pm

I certainly hope to see them in SFO in the future. I don't know how their recent loads have looked, but I heard overall they weren't doing so great. So maybe western expantion will benefit them, anyway we will see what happens. But I'm sure they will get good business here in the West.

ACAfan

Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:22 pm

I did not see any press release, even though I hope it is true.
Freddie Laker ... May be at peace with his maker ... But he is a persona non grata ... with IATA

malaysia

Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:24 pm

SFO!!!! LAX!!! thank god they will need SFO/LAX not OAK/LGB/SNA

cause a lot of smart people are short cutting to International connections with Independence Air, cause usually they can get a better combo with seperate DH ticket and an international ticket from the original departure airport for the international airline, than a combined ticket including the connection on like UAX or American Eagle etc.

OAK has no international, so SFO gives more chances for adding pax expecially asians who might decide using DH seperately (a lot have been using Southwest to cut into LAX to make intl connections even they know the bags wont be interlined, but they like the price a lot more)
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

ACAfan

Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:35 pm

Independence has no choice but to use LAX and SFO because B6 flies to LGB and OAK. Given a choice, people will fly B6, unless DH can get them to a more convenient airport.
Freddie Laker ... May be at peace with his maker ... But he is a persona non grata ... with IATA

LV

Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:45 pm

Im kind of surprised DH hasnt increased lift in JAX this week, seems like a golden time to show off to a bunch of perspective clients

ERJ170

Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:49 pm

Well, those do seem like the obvious and best destinations for DH.. higher paying destinations and full utilization of their aircraft.. the only other destinations I see them going are DFW.. and do I dare say it? DEN??? then they would have hit UA at all their bases.. ORD, IAD, SFO, LAX, DEN.. ohhhh.. drama!
Aiming High and going far..

iadguy73

Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:57 pm

They would definitely have the advantage of flying people to major hubs and give them easy international connections compared to B6. However, I'm not sure if that alone would fill up more of their seats. If my final destination was the west coast I'd rather fly B6 with the IFE (Direct TV). Unless DH is significantly cheaper...  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

LN-MOW

Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:32 pm

ATA flew 800 seats a day in each direction between SEA and MDW last summer. WN has replaced those seats with ... one 737-700.
I'm glad somebody is picking up that lost traffic.

I could need a job too come April ....
- I am LN-MOW, and I approve this message.

hiflyer

Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:38 pm

There is no such thing as connections with DH....they do not have an interline agreement with any carrier...foreign or domestic. No thru ticketing or baggage.

laca773

Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:40 pm

Has IAir thought about possibly BUR? I know it's a small field but there's a lot of potential there, or is it again like the thought of B6 doing a JFK run not feasible because of the runway?

malaysia

Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:59 pm

Independence Air flew an A319 instead of the CRJ today to JAX
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

malaysia

Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:04 pm

There is no such thing as connections with DH....they do not have an interline agreement with any carrier...foreign or domestic. No thru ticketing or baggage.

I mean MANUAL interlining done by the pax, he flys DH and goes other airline and rechecks his bag on his own.

malaysia

Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:09 pm

Southwest has no entertainment on board so Independence Air should do alright for the moment till PTV come I guess, Do Independence Air jets come with flip down LCD like on America WesT? if not, they should have had that installed for generic movies to make up for the PTV not out yet? anyone know more about Independence airbus config?

LoneStarMike

Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:12 pm

But that doesn't mean you can't make your own connections and many people do. They just have to claim any checked luggage they've checked with Airline A at the connection point and recheck it with Airline B for the continuation of their trip.

Domestically, people flying Southwest out of DAL frequently do it when flying from DAL to cities outside the Wright Amendment.

Internationally, people fly Southwest to LAX and connect to International flights to Asia. There was even an episode on A&E's Airline where a Southwest flight had arrived late and an Asian couple was trying to make it over to the International Terminal to make their connection. (In that particular story, they missed their connection but I don't think that's the norm.)

Given the choice, most people would rather be checked all the way through by the airline. But if the price difference is great enough, some people will book it as two separate trips and handle the connections themselves. I think the point that Malaysia was trying to make is that by flying to SFO, SEA and LAX, Independence Air might be able to capture some of this traffic.

LoneStarMike

jmc1975

Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:21 pm

Has IAir thought about possibly BUR? I know it's a small field but there's a lot of potential there, or is it again like the thought of B6 doing a JFK run not feasible because of the runway?

You just answered your question. The runways at BUR make it prohibitive to have such ops. Remember Southwest in March 2000?

UALFAson

Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:24 pm

Maybe they'll charge $44 fares like they did/are doing for their new LAS service. Just sit back and watch the profits roll in!

We may lose money on each ticket, but we make up for it in volume!  Big grin
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

trevd

Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:57 pm

I'll be surprised if there is an Iair at the end of the year.

I think the only thing they've proven is that the independent RJ operator model is a complete failure and that even ordering spanking new A320's doesn't help if you are so undercapitalized that you can't afford to pay the pre-delivery payments.

Put a fork in this pig and call it done !

gift4tbone

Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:05 pm

Hum....even with west coast destinations, DH, needs a west coast hub, for traffic going from sea-lax for example. Eventually, if they make it, its something they'll need to consider?! My guess would probably be either RNO(convienent location), or SLC (tough bet with delta though).

just my thoughts

[email protected]

edited for spelling

[Edited 2005-02-04 11:06:24]
Top 3 airports: PVD 22.1%(142 flights), PHL 13.6%(87 flights), PHX 9.3%(60 flights)

malaysia

Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:23 pm

Yeah Independence if they had capital, they would probably buy Skywest and turn SLC into a hub and all the Skywest CRJ will be Independence haha

what would DL do trying to replace the connection contract, oh yeah I bet INdy would terminate the UAX contract out of LAX and SFO as well.

And DL would now complain about the Bubble jet traffic in SLC

just a scenario.

nwa747-400

Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:10 am

DH sent 2 319s IAD-JAX on 2/3. Plus the normal RJ flights.

SHUPirate1

Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:29 am

Malaysia, Nwa747...those extra 319 flights probably have quite a bit to do with the fact that there is a relatively important football game going on in Jacksonville on Sunday... Big grin
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

IADPax

Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:49 am

DH used five 319s yesterday. What was the registration of the fifth 319? I know about 803BR, 804BR, 805BR and 806BR. 807BR is being delivered today.

RDUDDJI

Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:50 am

"Im kind of surprised DH hasnt increased lift in JAX this week, seems like a golden time to show off to a bunch of perspective clients"

On Monday 10FEB they have 3 319's and 5 CRJ's for JAXIAD. The Monday after that it's back to just six CRJ's a day.

About the service expansion...I think IDE is planning a press release next week. I heard some IDE employees saw fake schedules loaded in thier system. It would be hilarious if someone just put them in there as a joke or a leak test. I know we used to do that at Midway to pinpoint and avoid legitimate leaks.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

elwood64151

Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:22 am

Hum....even with west coast destinations, DH, needs a west coast hub, for traffic going from sea-lax for example

And these destinations aren't large enough to have p2p? CO, NW, US, and FL all do not have west-coast hubs, yet each (with the exception of US) is doing rather well compared to other airlines of their class.

I think DH needs to get more publicity. Most people don't even know who they are. They need to market themselves better. B6, when it started, there was a media blitz about it. They had their name everywhere. I was at MCI, and there were people there who wanted to try out B6 as soon as possible. They are still waiting. DH has no such publicity or following.
Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it in summer school.

LV

Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:39 am

As far as JAX lift, I found 1 (one) 319 into JAX on Thursday, none so far Friday...am I missing something?

nwa747-400

Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:42 am

"Malaysia, Nwa747...those extra 319 flights probably have quite a bit to do with the fact that there is a relatively important football game going on in Jacksonville on Sunday... "

Yeah I know that. Someone had asked about JAX lift flights.

Midway2AirTran

Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:44 am

Go Indy! Still moving forward boldly even with all the bad chatter. Also be aware, they are still in a transistional period and a majority of the losses that have occured were expected. Maybe more than expected? They are working to adjust for that too! I personally expect to see some improvement with them during the year, not saying as a success right off, but improved and will be around.
"Life is short, but your delay in ATL is not."

allstarflyer

Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:30 am

In response to LV(post 5), after speaking with one of our routers a couple of days ago, we have an Airbus or two helping with loads during the SuperBowl weekend, so hopefully we'll make good contact with more passengers this weekend, and confirmed there by Malaysia(post 11).
And in response to LACA(10), I thought BUR would be a great idea, too, though, like you and JMC(15) said, the short runway puts a small damper on the idea. Nice location, though, BUR.
TrevD, a few of our employees may agree with you, but most folks here are still drinking the koolaid. The key issue, a lot of us think, is what Elwood mentioned (24). I was hoping we'd have a West Coast hub(I'd like to move out there, after dealing w/GSP, ORD and now IAD), so we wouldn't have to shed so many RJ's. Have about 50-60 feed IAD and the rest feed a West Coast hub. But of course, that will not happen now, but we've hit(I'm hoping) our lowest point with all of these cutbacks for Jan./Feb., so, like Midway2AirTran, I expect to see improvement in the months not far ahead.

-R
Living the American Dream

ludavid777

Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:32 am

By the time we start LAS we will have some kind of IFE and we will have a Buy on Board (meals) program, according to the recent employee webcast we had. I'm not sure what kind of IFE though...

S12PPL

Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:32 am

FlyI not having IFE is going to hurt them a little on they're new transcons, but they can't worry about that as they probably don't really have the money for it right now Big grin
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

kevin82277
Topic Author

Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:42 am

Southwest doesn't have any IFE and they do the transcons flights as well. BWI-LAX in paticualar, 5 hour flight, and they have no meals either. They have some kind of snack pack. Southwest is doing very good on those routes, so I don't think that will be any problem for IDE as well.  Smile

jetbluefan1

Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:28 am

These new routes, more particularly IAD-SAN and SJC, seem aimed more at B6 than anyone else. B6 is launched SAN in May and they have expressed interest in flying IAD-SJC.

I think it's in FlyI's best interest to stay away from the West Coast right now. Horrible yield environment out there and FlyI's costs are well above B6's.

JetBluefan1

kaputt

Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:27 am

they just had a 45% load factor for the month of january. but right under that it says that they are cutting much frequency and expect the LF to climb into the mid 50%'s.

http://www.flyi.com/company/pressarchive/2005/jan/020405.htm
Carpe the Diem...Seize The Carp

gift4tbone

Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:16 pm

"and expect the LF to climb into the mid 50%'s."

ouch. mid 50%s....doesnt sound to good to me. Good luck to them.

[email protected]
Top 3 airports: PVD 22.1%(142 flights), PHL 13.6%(87 flights), PHX 9.3%(60 flights)

kaputt

Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:58 pm

"ouch. mid 50%s....doesnt sound to good to me. Good luck to them."

But it is an improvment eh?

But yea good luck to em.
Carpe the Diem...Seize The Carp

jetbluefan1

Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:06 pm

A 45.7 load factor truly sucks. But they just cut all those flights a few days ago...does anyone know how the loads are so far this month?

Best of luck to them!

JetBluefan1

N200WN

Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:51 pm

But that doesn't mean you can't make your own connections and many people do. They just have to claim any checked luggage they've checked with Airline A at the connection point and recheck it with Airline B for the continuation of their trip.

Domestically, people flying Southwest out of DAL frequently do it when flying from DAL to cities outside the Wright Amendment.

LoneStarMike, I believe that for the last few years Southwest has been checking bags all the way thru to DAL from cities outside the Wright Amendment as long as the pax holds a ticket to DAL for that day. The W/A is now simply a ticketing issue and an easy one at that with ticketless and on-line check-in.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos