Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AirWillie6475
Topic Author

Where's My Bourbon?

Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:19 pm

I have always wondered why airlines serve alcohol in-flight? I mean people getting drunk at 32000 feet is obviously not a good thing.

Also I was wondering where does the stereotype that pilots are heavy drinkers come from. If you watch the late night shows they always have those drunken pilot jokes.

NIKV69

RE: Where's My Bourbon?

Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:26 pm

Did you ever see "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World"? Classic flight scene with Jim Backus as a pilot totally trashed and Buddy Hackett has to land the plane. I love when he asks Mickey Rooney what he was going to do and asks him if he is the hostess. Classic!  Big thumbs up

AeroWesty

Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:29 pm

• It's delicious

• It helps pass the time

• It's nice to have a glass of wine with dinner

• It's nice to have a cognac after dinner

• It's delicious

• :: hic ::

• It makes money for the airlines at $5/drink in coach

• It helps calm nervous flyers

• It helps some people sleep

• It's sociable

• It helps prevent the DTs in alcoholics

• It's delicious

Chiguire

Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:36 pm

I always have:

Champage after boarding

A Whiskey before the meal

A Wine with the meal

A Cointreau with the coffee

A Port with the cheese

I neeeed alkohol ob board.

Oh - forgot to mention the beers in between the others !

NIKV69

Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:46 pm

Awesome! I have to say those two last posts said it all!

Nothing beats a nice glass of Champagne after boarding. Pure heaven.

Alcohol inflight is fine as long as it done responsibly.

Be responsible!

AeroWesty

Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:58 pm

LOL, I love It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World so much, the mere mention of it made me put the DVD in. Great flick, NIK  Big grin Jim Backus was brilliant.

"It's the only way to fly ... "

NIKV69

Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:06 pm

AeroWesty,

I am so choked up that I made you put that DVD in! That movie is a classic, they don't make them like that anymore. Jim Backus was awesome. I love when Mickey Rooney says he can't fly the plane and Jim Backus tells Buddy Hackett what to do and then he yells at Rooney "what do you mean he can't fly!"

So awesome!

I wouldn't ingest as much alcohol as Jim Backus did and get in the cockpit though. A shower just doesn't do the trick.

skidmarks

Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:20 pm

Coming back from ORD to LHR last October, I was asked what I would like to drink. I asked for a red wine and was given 2. When dinner was served I was asked if I wanted any more wine. I said yes, of course!

At that point I asked the hostie if she was trying to get me drunk. She said, the more you have, the easier it is for me because with luck you'll sleep! he was right!! I woke up in time for the descent into LHR!

And anyway, on BA the booze is free.

Cheers

Andy

aerorobnz

Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:56 pm

Yeah - I usually have a couple with the meals, and if short flight a few more just because I can. I don't fly carriers that charge for food/drinks.

NumberTwelve

Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:58 pm

Aerorobnz, same to me - I flew LH instead of EI in april 2004 because they didn't charge.
    Ok, LH ticket was 299 Euro from FRA to DUB and EI only charged 139 Euro for the same route but I didn't have to pay 2x 10 Euro for breakfast.

When you collect all the things you have to pay for with EI, EI is much more expensive!

lol

To be honest: I drink only few alcohol. Why should I pay for alcoholic drinks of my neighbours (included in air fare) if they want to get drunk? A beer here, red wine there, a Scotch there and between liver and milt there is still enough place for a beer (zwischen Leber und Milz passt immer ein Pils). Should I really pay for alcohol consume of others?

[Edited 2005-02-08 12:00:05]

SLC1

Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:58 pm

If an airline didn't they'd lose business, some people have to get drunk to handle flying. I've always wondered though, when an airline flies between two areas that have differing legal drinking ages, what's the legal age. For example if you fly from Calgary to Vancouver?

NumberTwelve

Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:12 pm

Nothing to say against alcohol if they just drink - but alcohol that passengers get liquored up? No way!

WF2BNN

Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:05 pm

I'm flying VS LHR to MIA next week, it departs at 11:15am, so I will just have my regular whiskey before the meal to relax and get the stomach ready for the airlinefood  Big thumbs up White wine during the meal, and campage after the meal.
    Then a little nap, watch some TV (hopefully it will be V:PORT) and when the whiskey and wine is out of my system I will have a beer and whiskey ore maybe two before I start drinking water and soda the last 2,5 hrs of the trip.

Alcohol is great when flying as long as you don't get wasted and bother other people.

Beer does not cost more than soda/lemonade, and the liquor is probably sponsored. If you want expensive campage and are flying in coach, you will have to pay.

I remember in 2002, 1,5 Weeks until I turned 21 - I was flying US from AMS-PHL and was not served (I had no problem getting served PHL-AMS) and the Stewart gave me a bottle of champage from the business class for me to enjoy on my 21st - which I did.

Alcohol and flying belongs together - as long as you don't get wasted and behave - and you are not the person flying the a/c  Big thumbs up

Mats

ClearedDirect

Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:26 pm

And at $5 (USD) a drink - compared to some places - That's a BARGAIN!!!

Now if I could only get them to take VISA and start me a tab....

CD

BillElliott9

Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:47 pm

Song takes Visa! Drink up...........but be responsible.

WF2BNN

Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:34 am

Song? Fly VS, BA, KL, AF, SK, FI, LH etc. and it's FREE  Big thumbs up

But you only get one drink at the time (if you are lucky you get a whiskey with your beer!) and it's often a long time between the times the flight attendant goes by with the drinks - so you have to go to the galley if you want to get it fast.

But be responsible folks!

Mats

nycflyer

Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:48 am

a question for you f/a's out there: if a passenger seems perfectly sober but keeps asking for more drinks (in coach), will he be served?

or will they cut him off, because the drinks are expensive and the passenger is abusing the freebie alcochol?

always wondered that - should I feel guilty for asking for more wine/beer in coach?

AirWillie6475
    Topic Author

Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:39 am

Does anyone care to answer the second part of my question.

AeroWesty

Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:51 am

I think it's up to the discretion of the flight crew as to how drunk you are, and then may certainly cut you off, whether drinks are free or for purchase in your cabin.

The most I've consumed on-board (a rare event to drink this much, but it was continually offered to "freshen" my glass) was 6 Crown Royals on a STL-BOS flight, and when those were done, the flight attendent merely said, "We're out of Crown in first, let me see what I can dig up in coach."

Obviously, after drinking 6 little bottles of booze in the first 2 hours of the flight, I didn't look drunk enough to cut me off (how that happened I'll never know), but I bet she would have at some point before coach was out of booze, too.  Smile

fbgdavidson

Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:09 am

Alcohol is a very nice pleasure when flying, in fact at the weekend I indulged so much in the various lounges and onboard (one G&T and four glasses of champagne by 9am!)that I can't remember that much of it! Although I am always civil and more likely to fall asleep then start shouting my mouth off.

On long flights the alcohol does help speed things up as you really feel the need to sleep. On a flight to San Francisco from London a few months back I indulged in brandy, champagne and wine (with a help from the crew!) and that knocked about 5hrs off the flight time.

I do like to relax in the lounge before a flight which invariably involves mutiple helpings of Newcastle Brown Ale and/or wine though am conscious that I may imbed my knee into the stairs on a remote stand!

Indeed some airlines are rated on their onboard alcohol. British Airways dropped Krug in First last year (due to supply probs apparently  Insane) although still retain Johnnie Walker Blue Label while SQ are the largest buyer of Dom Perignon in the world.....

NIKV69

Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:17 am

AirWillie6475,

Late night bits are usually written to poke fun at current events. I don't think there is a stereotype that pilots drink heavily or even get near a plane while they are under the influence. There has been a couple of bad apples that were caught just before they were to fly. I believe the last was that AirTran pilot. These are very isolated incidents and rarely happens. Pilots are very professional and should be respected by everyone.

wdleiser

Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:19 pm

>>>If an airline didn't they'd lose business, some people have to get drunk to handle flying. I've always wondered though, when an airline flies between two areas that have differing legal drinking ages, what's the legal age. For example if you fly from Calgary to Vancouver?<<<

It's up to the airline, they may refuse to serve alchohol to anyone they believe should not have a drink. I am 16, I get served alchohol on Lufthansa even on Continental if I am dressed appropriately. My last flight to Frankfurt I slept very well, I was in business, offered Champagne before takeoff by FA1, FA2 came by and gave me Champagne, then right before takeoff FA1 came back and was like I am sorry sir here is your Champagne, I quickly drank that. Beverage before dinner was a Beer(BECKS to be precise), then I had some red wine with dinner, and for desert I was given some Cognac. Now I must say when I dress in Suit and Tie I pass for 21+ where ever I go. Now if I was dressed in sweatpants and a T-shirt I doubt I would have been served all that. None the less I slept well thanks to the Benedryll too, afterwards I made a note to myself that taking that Benadryll was probably really bad of me to take with alchohol. Anyways, in International waters the airline makes the drinking age.

N1120A

Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:24 pm

>I've always wondered though, when an airline flies between two areas that have differing legal drinking ages, what's the legal age. For example if you fly from Calgary to Vancouver?<

If it is a US carrier, their rule is 21+, but you may get by if you behave. On a European or Asian carrier, it is 18, but I had a friend who got plastered on SQ at 15.

>Anyways, in International waters the airline makes the drinking age.<

Actually, it is usually their certifying body.

Airportgal

Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:33 pm

hmmmm, finished many-o bottles of chardonay over time in business class.... just because???

as long as you have no business next day, and can carry yourself out of the aircraft... good deal.

Tiger119

Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:45 pm

I was on a flight home from Florida the other night and had a couple of beers. Now that flight was just over two hours (not long at all), but I will admit the beer did speed the flight up a bit. Now only if the baggage would have made it to the carousel in under an hour, I really would have been happy!

VHXLR8

Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:07 pm

Hello everyone, this is officially my first post here at this site.
    In regards to the service of alcohol onboard aircraft, one of the main things to remember is that a lot of airlines these days market their product (particularly their business class product) as being similar to that of a nice resturant. You wouldn't be terribly impressed with a resturant that didn't serve alcohol; the same extends to an airline

aerorobnz

Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:53 pm

"If an airline didn't they'd lose business, some people have to get drunk to handle flying. I've always wondered though, when an airline flies between two areas that have differing legal drinking ages, what's the legal age. For example if you fly from Calgary to Vancouver?"

Yes, as other people have said the drinking age is the drinking age of the country
    the airline is from eg: NZ from New Zealand, drinking age 18. Anyone who is travelling younger than that is generally travelling with their parents, and you are allowed to drink under direct supervision of your parents at any age at home/licensed premises.

Type-Rated

Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:55 am

afterwards I made a note to myself that taking that Benadryll was probably really bad of me to take with alchohol

Benadryl is not a narcotic like some presciption sleep medications are. So as long as you use caution when drinking while taking Benadryl you should be fine. All Benadryl will do is increase the effects of the alcohol slightly, you could get more wobbly sooner. Since it is an antihistamine, it'll dry the hell out of you. I would drink plenty of water to keep yourself hydrated.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos