Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

a380900
Topic Author

Disinformation About Airports And A380 In The US

Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:00 am

Forgeard complained in mid January about a campaign in US media about A380 airports incompatibility. It's starting again. First it shows how easy it is to manipulate US media (do a google news search on A380 and airports, it's really funny - the issue of the day!). But we all knew that.

I just have a question: isn't it a little too late for this campaign, most airports have taken their decision on whether to be ready at the A380 introduction.

It shows as well how Concorde must have had a hard time with US media!

ozglobal

RE: Disinformation About Airports And A380 In The US

Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:36 am

The vast majority of Americans have no access to international / non-US media, so it's relatively easy to manipulate the messages being sent relating to any offshore events or activities. Don't cite CNN as a counter example. Even the US national version of CNN is dominated by domestic issues and has very filtered content on international news. CNN in Europe is entirely different. BBC World, TV5, DW and others are FAR more international than anything available in the US. The best option in the US is the PBS NewHour for balanced reporting of international events. Some latenight news satire shows are excellent also.

[Edited 2005-02-13 01:38:01]

AeroWesty

Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:49 am

The vast majority of Americans have no access to international / non-US media, so it's relatively easy to manipulate the messages

Those of us with BBC America on cable, the BBC News and Deutsche Weld on PBS, and access to the internet (a majority of Americans, not a minority), might disagree with the ease in which news is "manipulated" as you claim.

PDXFlyer

Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:52 am

Plus, the idea that PBS is balanced is pretty humorous too.

ozglobal

Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:56 am

Those of us with BBC America on cable, the BBC News and Deutsche Weld on PBS, and access to the internet (a majority of Americans, not a minority), might disagree with the ease in which news is "manipulated" as you claim.

AeroWesty, I too know some people in the US who regularly use those channels as a means of forming a boarder opinion, but can you HONESTLY tell me that regular viewers are over 5% of the population. If you don't WATCH it, you don't have access to the information. All my US professional colleagues, of diverse political persuation, agree with me on this one.

[Edited 2005-02-13 01:57:41]

FriendlySkies

Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:57 am

Some latenight news satire shows are excellent also.

Would this include The Daily Show with Jon Stewart?  Big grin

ozglobal

Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:59 am

Some latenight news satire shows are excellent also.

Would this include The Daily Show with Jon Stewart?

Amongst others..

AeroWesty

RE: Disinformation About Airports And A380 In The

Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:03 am

If you don't WATCH it, you don't have access to the information.

If you believe that the balance of the population lives in a void, and there is no cross-effect of having a world opinion available to the public at large, and there is no cross-checking of the U.S. media, you might want to have a chat with Dan Rather of CBS News.

I was addressing the "ease of manipulation" you referred to, not the general distribution of how many people are required to have a balanced media take hold.
You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.
-Abraham Lincoln, (attributed)
16th president of the United States (1809 - 1865)

ozglobal

Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:41 am

I was addressing the "ease of manipulation" you referred to, not the general distribution of how many people are required to have a balanced media take hold.
AeroWesty,

Some examples to illustrate: How many average Americans know the following:

i) George Bush's visit to his 'key ally', the UK, last year was greated by some of the largest and most sustained protests seen in Britian. My sources say a minor domestic issue was covered and this historic moment was ignored in the US media.
ii) I was in NY last September when another 'close ally and partner', Australia, had a major embassy blown up in Indoneisia. I'm Australian, so I was interested. The ONLY mention in the US TV media was on CNN (not on other stations) and only then with one of those scolling texts at the foot of the screen and a sentence at the end of another item. No onsite report or footage. No followup. Not news. Fortunately, my hotel had French TV5, whose news hour devoted 20mins to the disaster and the fate of the 300 staff and followed for the next few days.
iii) An appreaciable number of Americans (is it 30%) recently polled, still believe weapons of mass distruction were found in Iraq, even after the president and his whole administration have admitted they didn't and won't. Noone outside the US believes this. Why?

AeroWesty

Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:49 am

Noone outside the US believes this. Why?

You seem to believe that I somehow think that the media, anywhere in the world, is not manipulated to some degree. I believe media the world over is manipulated, but not with the ease in which you seem to continue to point out is exclusive to the United States.

One only needs to read the forums here on a.net to realize that the residents of the country associated with purple mountains majesty are not solely born with the inherent ability to be deceived.

And yes, the protests of Bush in the U.K. were covered that night by even my local evening news.

Cheers.  Smile

atmx2000

Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:49 am

Why wouldn't the Concorde have a bad time with the media, when the US SST project had a bad time with the media and public opinion? The SST program lost its funding partly because of anti-sonic boom fever. New York banned the Concorde initially for that reason.

And why shouldn't there be stories about the A380 and airport compatibility? The roll out was in January and naturally there is interest as to which airports the airplane will be coming to, and if it isn't coming, why not?

Anyway foreign media is far easier to manipulate. It is far more centrally controlled and connected to the government.

DfwRevolution

Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:54 am

Delete this crappy thead now  Insane

ozglobal

Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:03 am

Anyway foreign media is far easier to manipulate. It is far more centrally controlled and connected to the government.

The topic has become blurred. The claim was that since access to non-US news sources of international events is somewhat limited for most Americans (unlike Europe, Australia, NZ, UK, etc), it is easier to maintain a version of those events should certain intersts wish to do so.

"Foreign media is far easier to maniplulate" .. If by that you are saying that all media in all countries of the world (several hundred of them each with scores of media sources, with every possible political system and degree of media independence or control) are necessarily easier to maniplulate than the US media, SOLELY on the topic of international events, I would have to say that is not credible, and, in a way, proves my point.

AeroWesty

Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:17 am

Well now you have me intrigued. I think I'll watch Fox News tonight for a more balanced world view. That was founded by Rupert Murdoch. An expatriate of Australia, I believe.  Smile

ozglobal

Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:32 am

Well now you have me intrigued. I think I'll watch Fox News tonight for a more balanced world view. That was founded by Rupert Murdoch. An expatriate of Australia, I believe.

Ex with a capital X. He became a US citizen many years ago and moved the News Ltd Holding company there as well. And, yes, his network in the US makes CNN and the others look like left-wing, high-brow journalism. His media in Britain tend to be anti-Europe and pro-Bush, but at least knowing that, you can turn to other, including international, sources.

JoFMO

Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:44 am

Mr Murdoch is the biggest weapon of mass destruction Australia ever invented and also the only one.

He was rumoured to take over our biggest private media corporation as they went bunkrupt some years ago. Thank god he gave us Mr Saban.

N1120A

Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:50 am

>Delete this crappy thead now<

Why, because someone might disagree with you?

DfwRevolution

Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:57 am

Why, because someone might disagree with you?

As much as I love PBS and hate CNN... this isn't rational discussion on anything and not a single thing relevent to Civil Aviation has been mentioned from the very first post!!  Insane

AeroWesty

Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:03 pm

not a single thing relevent to Civil Aviation has been mentioned

I disagree. I think the viewpoints expressed have been relevant and urbane, without sinking to calling anyone names, as so often happens in discussions with differing viewpoints here.  Smile

It also has intrigued me enough to watch the world news from an Australian-born point of view.

atmx2000

Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:05 pm

Exactly who do you think is doing the manipulating and filtering?

goCOgo

Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:16 pm

I just did a search on google for "A380" and "airports." Look closely, as many of the articles you refer to are simply different news outlets picking up THE SAME AP ARTICLE! There is one in there that I saw at least in part being repeated many many times by one Associated Press business writer, a woman named Allison Linn. Look at the bylines. The only other recent article that might appear to be an anti-A380 article was the article an ATL refusing to make changes to accommodate the A380. While Miss Linn certainly appears to stretch the facts in her article, you have to admit changes do need to be made to most US airports, and these changes do cost money, and many airports are refusing to make changes.

To answer your question, yes it is too late to influence airport execs. But I don't think that's the purpose of her article. Being from Seattle, she probably does enjoy ripping on Airbus, but I can't honestly believe she is deliberately is writing the article just to give out anti-Airbus propaganda to the US. I think she is just trying to answer a question that has probably crossed many American aviation novices minds when the read of the rollout, namely, "Gee, I wonder when that'll be coming to my airport?" After reading an article on the rollout, someone asked me just that. The article simply answers that by telling them most US airports won't be able to handle it.

And why is it that when the US media is always biased, and the International media never is? While I won't claim the US media isn't biased, please don't try to claim they're the only ones. Meanwhile, I'll get my news from NPR.

N754PR

Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:19 pm

VERY true guys, any of us that visit the USA are shocked at how most TV stations only look at the USA or how good the USA is overseas. I found this myself and when I talk to friends that have been there.

I dont even read posts about the A380 anymore as 90% are a load of..... you know what.

Velasco

Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:41 pm

A380900 + OzGlobal

We really gotta hand it to you, it had been a long while since we last saw such a crappy thread on the forum.

Yeah, right, americans are mindless creatures fed into illusion by a "biased" and "manipulated" media. Europeans, on the other hand, and frenchmen in particular, must be informed and unbiased because they have access to such varied and fascinating stations such as TV5 and DW.

First, it is only natural that the general public in a country the size of the USA should be less curious and aware about foreign events than in a country the size of France or Italy. The smaller a country is the more its population is bent to look outside its own territory: this is not particular to the USA and you'll find a similar attitude in countries such as Brazil where foreign news dont mean much to the larger part of its 180 million population. This doesnt make americans or brazilians any dumber.

Second, I am amazed to hear that the european press is "unbiased", especially in the subjet of international affairs. The french press, which I read now and then, portrays the US as a true colonial power, George Bush as a puppet of vested interests, the americans as a bunch of ignorants who were driven to vote for W by the scare of terror. In the news bulletins on TV5 every small american setback is given wide coverage while whatever american success in the international scene is played down (e.g. iraki massive voting). Guests on talk shows permanently feed into the stereotype of "dumb america" and "cultivated europe". Maybe the best evidence of the independence of the european media lies in the fact that the french government is now about to set up a 24 hour news station which will duly broadcast to the world their own unbiased version of international events. We'll then be able to get over CNN and the Washington Post and learn the understandable reasons why the french government wants the arms embargo to China lifted, why it actively supports so many authoritarian regimes in Africa, and so on. The fact is that in (continental) europe most press now relies on a caricatural view of the USA and that only a fraction of the population has the skills and the will to go beyond the stereotype (I wish it were 5%). Maybe that's the reason why on recent polls many europeans portray the USA as a larger menace to the world peace than China or North Korea.

A380900' post has little to do with civil aviation and a lot to do with cultural preconceit, the reason why I'm suggesting deletion.

As for protests on Bush's visit to London being an "historic" event - please give us a break...

Insane

mham001

Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:04 pm

A380900
I am wondering exactly what in the Linn article was "disinformation"? Do you have quotes? Please clarify.

Whoever thinks the BBC and the worlds media is any less biased than the US media is delusional. They all are. Given that 90% of editors and reporters in the US are registered Democrats, they should be extolling the great virtues of a plane built by that bastion of enlightened thinking.

DfwRevolution

Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:07 pm

My gripe is that this thread got sabatoged on the very first reply:

The vast majority of Americans have no access to international / non-US media, so it's relatively easy to manipulate the messages being sent relating to any offshore events or activities. Don't cite CNN as a counter example.

OMG OzGlobal... Do you actually think Foregard was talking about that kind of media source???  Laugh out loud

The first and only time the A388 has been featured by a mainstream news source was the week of roll-out. Before then: nothing. After then: nothing. The public and news produces don't give a flying flip about aviation news except when something cool rolls-out or when something crashes.

Have you ever considered that maybe Foregard was talking about aviation industry related media outlets? Oh say... Flight Internation, ect????  Big grin

[Edited 2005-02-13 05:08:03]

AeroWesty

Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:08 pm

Fox News bulletins at 20:00PST:
  • Massive fire engulfs Madrid office building

• China will do what it can to pressure North Korea over nukes issue

• Hamas says it won't attack Israelis "for the time being"

• Sec. Rumsfeld defends NATO after Munich visit

• Heavy rains pound Arizona

• Discussion topics for the next hour:
  • "The Administration isn't leveling with the American people"

• "Are Americans ignorant when it comes to evil?"

• "Maybe Bush should have read 'Hamlet' prior to submitting his budget"

• Sadly, no news on the "issue of the day," the Airbus A380.

art

Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:30 pm

This is in response to another off-topic post.

Mham001 wrote:

Whoever thinks the BBC and the worlds media is any less biased than the US media is delusional

I think you should be aware that the BBC has a unmatched reputation for accuracy and objectivity. There is much anecdotal evidence that people in countries lacking an objective or informative press rely on the BBC for unbiased news. IIRC Gorbachev said he used to listen to the BBC to find out what was happening in his own country!

The BBC represents a standard that other broadcasters aspire to reach: it is the gold standard in coverage of international affairs.

[Edited 2005-02-13 05:59:57]

a380900
    Topic Author

Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:30 pm

Mham001,

You say: "I am wondering exactly what in the Linn article was "disinformation"? "

First I did not speak about the Linn article in particular. The A380 is a huge aircraft that has never flown. It requires some investments from airports in order to receive it. True. When all of a sudden, on Google news in the last 24 hours, I read:

"Jumbo jet's issues may be too big for some"
    "Airports balk at new Airbus jet"
    "Airbus jumbo won't be the elephant in Boeing's living room"
    "Awkward landings for Airbus' big bird"
    "Airbus superjumbo too big for most airports in US"
    "Airports can't handle superjumbo"
    "Jumbo Airbus is weighty challenge for most airports"
    "Where will A380 land?"
    "Airbus SAS ushers in a new era for flight, but what about landing?"
    "New Jumbo too big for airports"
    "Airbus superjumbo may have rough landing"
    "US airports are in no big rush to find room for Airbus' huge jet"
    "A380's a runway buster"
    "Too big to land"
    "They'll build it but will it be able to land?"...

I say: some Boeing PR guy knows a few things about propaganda. I also say: the American media are for sell. Who can argue I'm wrong?

Then another poster says that:
    "Second, I am amazed to hear that the european press is "unbiased", especially in the subjet of international affairs. The french press, which I read now and then, portrays the US as a true colonial power, George Bush as a puppet of vested interests, the americans as a bunch of ignorants who were driven to vote for W by the scare of terror. In the news bulletins on TV5 every small american setback is given wide coverage while whatever american success in the international scene is played down (e.g. iraki massive voting)."

Now tell me dude. What are the results of this election again? Oh true, you don't know. Nobody knows! What a success.
    French media are overall very soft on the American political system and press. It should be open season after what the world is going through because of US society's disfunctions.

AeroWesty

Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:38 pm

*Buzzer*

This thread just went political.

Sad, really.

N79969

Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:35 pm

I don't see any disinformation that Foeregard is complaining about. The bottom line is that the headline-making A380, the biggest passenger airplane in the world, will only be accommodated at a handful of the U.S. airports. I count six: JFK, LAX, SFO, MIA, MEM, and SDF. What other country will have six civilian fields setup for A380 operations? This supposed anti-A380 bias is a figment of the European imagination.

Airbus quite justifiably hosted a very ritzy media show to roll out the A380 inviting heads of state and so on. Naturally, casual observers or more interested people in the United States would want to know more about the airplane and where it will fly. Chances are that the A380 will not be appearing at an airfield nearby. That is just the bottom line reality. Reporting this fact does not indicate "media manipulation" or any other absurdity.

European countries are far smaller than the US. If you drive about 3 hours in any direction almost anywhere in Europe, chances are that you will end up in a country that either invaded your nation or that your nation invaded within the last 100 years. You can drive two or three hours in the Western United States and not have left your county. Our nation of 280 million people that stretches from the Atlantic to the Pacific generates quite a bit of news everyday compared to the average European country. Considering these very simple geographic and economic realities, it is no wonder that European news seems more "international." It certainly does not follow that Europeans are more "open-minded."

I would say the European media with its chronic anti-US bent is as or perhaps more parochially minded that anything in the United States.

[Edited 2005-02-13 08:39:48]

[Edited 2005-02-13 08:40:50]

[Edited 2005-02-13 08:52:40]

Matheus

Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:01 pm

How we say here in Brazil : "Let me put more firewoody on this fire"....

How can a news channel wich spents +10 minutes talking about Bill Cosman having a sado fetish? And in the "Big Story" program?
    Fox News have a sensonalist journalism target to the vast majority of the americans wich dont care about nothing (beacause this, is the most watched news channel, as they show in the commercials) the political views are very blank...
    Oh yeah, may you remember the 2000 elections...Who noticied the winner before the florida counts ends? Fox News! And you know that about 6 months later they discovered they had a error in the count and the trully winner was Al Gore? Maybe not, because Fox News didnt noticied that....

What the lusitan fellow (Velasco) says is true, here in Brazil and USA we have more than 180 million and more than 9 million square kilometers, we dont care much wath is happning outside ours borders, but here we dont spent 20minutes watching news about the ass of the Britney Spears...

We have the right to care about nothing, but what channels like Fox News does is a devil thing...

Math

GuyBetsy1

Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:22 pm

Case in point: When the tusnami hit south east asia, thank goodness we had the BBC to0 report on the up to date news. They at least covered events happening within each city. Most US stations were still trying to figure out where Sri Lanka was.

kc135topboom

Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:19 pm

Nice shot, from across our northern boarder, GuyBetsy1. To bad your facts are incorrect.

But are we talking about the news media (inaccurate and worth less on EVERY continent), or are we talking about the A-380s impact on airport infrastructure?

Here at DFW we are going to modify some taxiways so the A-380 can operate here. But, we are not going to start construction until asked to be an A-380 operator.

Most of our taxiways are 75' (23m) wide, we do have a few that are 100' (30m) wide. The problems is only at the 90 degree intersections on the 75' taxiways (BTW, 4 of our 7 runways are 150' {45m} wide, and can handle the A-380 now, the remaining 3 runways are 200' {60m} wide).

Because we are going to restrict where on DFW an A-380 can taxi, we need to modify the fillets on 7 taxiway intersections on the west side, and 12 on the east side. We are not going to build double level jetways. The A-380 will not be able to use our taxiway bridges. We currently have 13,400' long runways on both sides, so there should not be a need to cross a bridge.

It was difficult to get the proper information from Airbus. They only said if you can operate the B-747-400 and the B-777-300, then the A-380 can operate at DFW. Not entirely true. We did get information on the main landing gear track width, 14.3m, or 47'. But the limiting information factor we needed was not easy to get from Airbus. That was the wheel base, or the length between the nose gear and the last main gear wheels. That is the information we need to determine how much room this airplane needs to make a 90 degree turn. We finally got the information from Airbus, the wheel base is 99' 8" or 30.4m.

This is what we got from Airbus:
    http://www.content.airbusworld.com/SITES/Technical_Data/docs/AC/DATA_CONSULT/AC_A380.pdf

QantasHeavy

Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:00 pm

How ridiculous. European media is the same way. Don't know how often you've been to the US, but the average household in the US gets more channels than you have in Europe. Like you wouldn't get a slanted view on French TV? LOL! Amazing how the self-alleged intelligencia here are so unsavvy themselves.

Is Boeing influencing the media there, probably... do you think Airbus is not doing the same thing in Europe? Companies and governments influence the press everywhere.

BY the way, the tsunami was all over the US media when it happened; I was in the US for Christmas and watched the coverage on non-cable TV.

Funny how all "those dumb Americans" have the world's largest economy and have bailed a number of your countries out of trouble more than once. It just sounds like you are pretty insecure about your own country being insignifcant in the bigger scheme of things to be always be whining about the US; get over it.

There will be more A380-ready airports in the US than in Europe. So when is Bordeaux getting A380 ready? How about Nice? Maybe Lyon? Most countries in Europe have what, ONE major airport that is little more than a hub for its national carrier... if that? The US has numerous enormous hubs.

I like Airbus aircraft and have just returned from the factory. Don't worry, plenty of A380s will land in the US, so the little Buddy Holly elf looking nerd can cherish his subsidies and quit crying to the media. It's business. How much crap does Qantas give and get... plenty, but the company plows through it and overcomes whining and makes a profit.

[Edited 2005-02-13 14:02:44]

F4N

Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:59 pm

QantasHeavy:

Great response,friend. It's unfortunate that many here complaining about the "disinformation" campaign about A380 have chosen to use this as an opportunity to perpetuate the "tabloid" view of the US and its' citizenry as simple-minded & naive, unable to sift through the morass of sensationalist journalism or form an opinion from is obviously edited network news. Granted, one has to question the intellect of the 50% of the electorate that not only voted for Bush once, but then re-elected him! But that's for a different forum.

I'm not entirely sure where the notion that international events get little or no coverage on US news comes from; I certainly saw no less(IMO)coverage of many events on US television than I saw on CBC. Here on the northern border, access to Canadian radio and television is easy and comman. It's very easy to view or listen to an alternative non-US opinion there. The Canadians are great friends of ours, but that does not mean that they are shy about disagreeing with the US about any issue and then telling us about it. That's democracy at work; that's what friends and allies are supposed to do.
    They are a free people, entitled to their opinion. And this simple-minded US citizen who cannot move above the mass-media hype(or so some think) respects that, just like I respect the French and Germans for their stand or the English, Poles, Australians & Italians for theirs. Again, democracies at work. Free speech, press freedoms, individual rights...the sort of thing everyone should have.

I have read many of the stories in the av press about airports and A380. I think much of what is written is simply a mix of amazement at its' size, capability and need. Remember that this a/c opens up an entirely different dimension to air travel, much of which is not seen in the US. I think it's fairly certain that carriers who buy A380 and want to bring that type of service to a city will probably get the authorities to make the necessary changes to support it(as our friend KC135TopBoom indicates). But no airport authority will makes changes just because A380 exists.

regards,

F4N

goCOgo

Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:21 am

A380900,

You say you weren't speaking specifically about the Linn article, but after finding the specific articles of every headline you posted as "proof," I found that EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THOSE ARTICLES ARE ACTUALLY THE SAME ALLISON LINN ARTICLE. I am a frequent user of Google news, and I find one of it's weakness is that it pulls of hundreds of versions of the same article that wave been picked up off the wires by various internet news outlets. It can make it appear that something is the "issue of the day" when, in fact, it isn't even published in many newspapers. It costs little extra to a publish an article of the internet, so they are a lot less selective on what they pick up. If you notice, when you first search, you get a result that has one article at the top, with some number (now 89) related articles at the bottom of that result. All 89 are the Linn article. It rally isn't that widespread. To illustrate, search Google News for the name "Mangini", who the Patriots just named their Defensive Coordinator. You probable have no idea who he is, or what an American football defensive coordinator does. But, as of now, there are nearly 100 more recent Mangini articles picked up than recent A380 articles. (184 v. 89)

Underneath all the Linn articles, you see the following headlines:

Proponents Say A380 Is In for Long Haul
    New York Times - Jan 31, 2005

Airbus A380 offers extra decorating options
    Duluth News Tribune, MN - Jan 31, 2005

Flying the jumbo skies
    Denver Post, CO - Jan 30, 2005

South African airports: 380-million Rand to accommodate A380
    Luchtzak Aviation, Belgium - Jan 24, 2005

A380 puts 747 in second spot
    Kansas.com, KS - Jan 17, 2005

Indian airports gear up to welcome super jumbo
    Hindustan Times, India - Jan 25, 2005

You can see there are many American in support of the A380, and many foreign news articles also pointing out some of the problems in adapting runways.

zvezda

Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:46 am

This whole thread is off-topic and, IMO, should be deleted.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos