Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

nsfguy
Topic Author

Bands That Lease Or Own Jets.

Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:54 am

I remember back when Led Zepplin leased a 707 and reported the cost of that thing almost bankrupted the band! And Elton John's 720 based out of PHX for the "rock of the westies" tour..... It was all stars and stripes with confetti painted on as well. James Brown had leased a Learjet 23 then a 24 from Doug Bell, and Ray Charles had a 404 with his name on it, and Otis Redding died in his Beech 18. Frank Sanatra had a Learjet as well. Mama's and Papa's had a Learjet, so did Carpenters and John Denver.... Who am I leaving out..?

reLAX

RE: Bands That Lease Or Own Jets.

Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:59 am

I have personal experience with this.

Artists/Bands typically lease aircraft for specific periods (tours). I have personally been involved with tours that have hired BAC-111s (USA), G-IIs (USA), Saab 340 (Europe), Challengers (Europe), BAE-146 (Europe/Flightline), and a Dornier 328Jet (Europe).

As Artists become older, wiser, and wealthier, they prefer the private jet lifestyle for touring. Compare this to the hired bus lifestyle. While buses can be made very comfortable, most journeys are taken overnight. That means that your artist has to get used to sleeping on a moving vehicle.

Many artists simply grow weary of the grind of the road. Having traveled both ways, I will certainly choose a jet anytime. Lifestyle is easy - do the show, go to the local Four Seasons-type hotel. Wake up, check out, limo van->FBO->jet->next venue/hotel. Total travel time is typically 1-2 hours as opposed to 6-10 hours. Time saved also allows the artist more time for promotional activities.

Now, they cost a bit of money to operate (5-10x cost of hired bus), but if it keeps the artist "earning" (doing shows) then they are worth it. Nothing worse that an artist who burns out halfway through a tour cycle. Jets keep them happy. In todays world, we can operate a chartered jet for about the gross income of 2-3 shows on a 20-25 show arena tour leg. Well worth it. Artist Happy = Artist Earning.
"Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?"

wjcandee

Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:19 am

That means that the jet alone, without any other travel expense for the band or the road crew or equipment or salaries, is TEN to FIFTEEN PERCENT of the total GROSS of the tour? That doesn't seem right. But you say you're the expert.

--Bill

reLAX

Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:24 am

Keep in mind, Bill, these are Artists. They aren't interested in operating with the economies of an LCC. It's ego. They often have several sources of income (mechanical royalties, publishing royalties, tv/film licensing, product endorsement, etc). They don't want their lifestyle to suffer - especially while away from home.

Gross Income = Gross Income to Artist. Typically represents 50-70% of the total ticket revenue of a show.

stlgph

Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:26 am

Most bands these days often do more "hubbing" than flying from city to city. Then again, it also all depends.

Just a few examples, for the fun of it.

On John Mellencamp's tour in 1999, for the midwest amphitheater cities in the summer and during the fall midwest/college cities tour, he and his band would fly in every early night from Bloomington, Indiana and then back again that night. I am not sure of the exact plane it was used, but it had to at least hold up to 15 people.

For the Fleetwood Mac tour of 2003 and 2004 they used a 727 for the entire band and some support crew, assistants. They would 'hub' out of cities (ex. Chicago, L.A., New York, Atlanta), etc. because Mick Fleetwood & Lindsay Buckingham & other musicians with them and crew members had young babies. So they'd move their families into these cities and get a hotel suite, fly out 1-1.5 hours to their performance city, do a show, and go back to their "hub" then move to a different base every month. They'd usually do one night off between shows, too. However in 2004 in the summer they basically did go from one show to the next and didn't do the hub thing since that tour leg was much shorter. In Australia they used a 737.

Jimmy Buffett does the same thing. He does 2 week tour legs then takes a month off then does another leg and usually bases himself out of either NYC, Chicago, L.A., for example and Learjets in with his band members.

Stevie Nicks solo has used a private 727 or a Learjet for all of her tours except for 1998.

Cher used a private jet during the winter 2000 leg of her "Believe" tour, otherwise she goes by bus.

Rather than go exclusively, Tina Turner rode with her entire band and backing dancers on a larger jet in 2000. Bette Midler did the same on her 1999, 2003, and 2004 tours.

On Madonna's tour in 2001 and 2004, she and her family traveled privately on their own Learjet, while the band and dancers traveled by larger leased jet.

Some artists still do use buses from time to time. But when they stay behind or need to go ahead of the tour for whatever the reason, it is not uncommon for them to charter a private Learjet. Some have gone the commercial flying route, but sometimes cancellations of course have led to disasterous consequences. Of course flying solo doesn't always do the best justice, either... at a Madonna show, one of her Washington D.C. performances was delayed by 90 minutes because her private plane was delayed by air traffic.

if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

Superfly

Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:45 am

Doobie Brothers
Earth Wind & Fire
The Jacksons (Victory Tour 1984)

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © AirNikon
View Large View Medium

Photo © Ellis M. Chernoff

R.I.P. Keith Knudsen
Bring back the Concorde

AA787

Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:52 am

The Stones have had their 732 for ages.

AA787

exSCA

Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:02 am

When I worked out of MSP for SY, Ive seen The Stones and their 737-200, the Backstreet Boys and Nsync both had varitions of 767's, and U2 had a 727-200....Ozzy with Gulfstreams and Challengers.

reLAX

Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:38 am

See - everyone is smiling. Including me. Private luxury.
G-BPNT / Summer 2003

Aaron747

Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:02 am

U2 used one of Privatair's BBJs extensively throughout the North American and European legs of the Elevation tour in 2001. Not sure what their plans are this time around, but it's definitely cool to have a livery modified with your tour logo.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Charles Falk

View Large View Medium

Photo © Stuart Prince

If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

chrisnh

Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:27 am

With all the planes in the desert, U2 should pick up a 757 for their tour starting in March that wends its way from San Diego to Boston. There are no 'small' cities on this tour, so a 757 should easily work at every airport. Last time U2 toured North America it was a 727-200 that did the duty, although this time 'round they need a Stage 3 aircraft that can get out in the wee hours of the morning. A 727-200 is not the kind of jet that will endear itself to neighbors upon middle-of-the-night departures.

Chris in NH

nsfguy
Topic Author

Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:01 pm

Again, A. Net comes through with incredible data on a very obscure part of aviation! You people are simply the worlds strongest database. I remember Hammer was on Oprah years ago and said he used a 727 out of Oakland on tours. (no wonder he went flat ass broke!) And Hall and Oates (the one with black hair) said he had to sale his personal learjet and condo to stay out of IRS hell and cover a sudden tax lien. Fame.... Sounds like it's somewhat complicated.

Bluewave 707

Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:27 pm

U2 has also chartered a 721 from Clay Lacy Aviation, which was adorned with the suitcase logo during their "Elevation" tour. The plane stopped off @ HNL, but the band did not perform here.

Journey used a Vickers Viscount as shown in the "Faithfully" video.

Michael Jackson used a 703 for his last show in Hawaii.

The Rolling Stones used a Laker DC-10-30 for their Hawaii show in 1997.
"The best use of your life will be to so live your life, that the use of your life will outlive your life" -- D Severn

reLAX

Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:25 pm

NSFGuy -

Yes; some Artists are mismanaged/misinformed. One Artist I work with has not seen the inside of a bus since 1986. They still tour on an every 3 year cycle. One band member is AA, so jets work well for him because he is able to isolate himself from the temptations of the "road". ALL jets are rented temporarily. Band is VERY solvent.

Hammer = where's the talent? Pop and fizzle. Sad story.
Oates = never buy, lease short term. These days, by a MarquisJet card or at most take a fractional ownership.

Also Re Hubbing - while it is comfortable, it doubles the block time and therefore nearly doubles the cost.

I guess I am biased - I've jumpseated at least 30 hours in the US and Europe.

OzarkD9S

Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:42 pm

Back in 79 The Bee Gees leased a B-720 painted in full "Spirits Having Flown" paint.

Couldn't find a pic in the database.

It was actually a very nice paint scheme.
"My soul is in the sky". -Pyramus- A Midsummer's Night Dream

electraBob

Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:15 am

One of my favorite '60s British Bands....The Dave Clark 5 had their own Convair (N90861)...they actually called the plane the "DC5"...plane had a big DC5 on the tail and on the lower front of the fuselage.

OzarkD9S --

I'm looking at a picture of the "Spirits Having Flown" B720 that I took in Atlanta in Oct. 1979....all black, with a red nose and red along the bottom...orange pinstripe just above the windows with Spirits Having Flown in orange letters the full length of the windows. There is a symbol on the tail with the words "The Tour...'79" along the bottom of the tail. One of the most beautiful 720s I have ever seen.
Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a swimming pool.....

afay1

Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:28 am

Ricky Nelson flew in his own DC-3 until it unfortunetaly crashed in 1985...apparently he was terrified of flying.

OzarkD9S

Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:08 am

ElectraBob:

I have a picture of it in a book "Lost Airline Liveries". Wish it wasn't copywrited!

Whoever designed it could teach today's designers a thing or three.
"My soul is in the sky". -Pyramus- A Midsummer's Night Dream

Olympus69

Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:00 am

The Rolling Stones used an Air Atlanta Icelandic 747SP for a Toronto concert in 1997.

View Large View Medium

Photo © John Kelley

KBOS

Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:28 am

Aerosmith chartered this for their "Just Push Play" tour...(obviously)

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jason Whitebird

I don't care if the sun don't shine, I do my drinkin in the evening time when I'm in Rhode Island

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos