Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

coewr777
Topic Author

TPA Oversized

Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:21 am

I have been to Tpa about 8 times this year because i am moving there but anyway that airport is pretty big with not that much flights the largest carrier is SW with around 80 dep daily. What do you guys think?

OzarkD9S

RE: TPA Oversized

Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:09 am

The TPA situation has really changed over the years. When the terminal/airside first opened up with four airsides, four signatory airlines were responsible for the design and operation of each airside. The four were Delta, Northwest, Eastern and Delta.

National and Eastern had significant operations at the time. While additional carriers used the extra space at the Delta and Northwest airsides. TWA and United for instance.

Pan Am bought National and operations dwindled from that quarter. Deregulation brought a bunch of new operators. Ozark, Piedmont, USAir, American,Continental, etc...

Northwest operated a mini-hub at TPA before the Republic merger, then dumped it to concentrate on MSP/DTW/MEM.

Piedmont used TPA extensively as a result of their "Florida Shuttle" experiment, this carried over for a time after the merger with US. For several years US was TPA's largest operater (Express included).

Eastern went belly-up and Airside B was closed. Delta has a new airside while their old airside C is being rebuilt for Southwest.

Now, history aside, I don't think TPA's facilities are too large for the airport. They have the room to grow and they have the forsight to rebuild old airsides and build new ones as needed, BEFORE the existing facilities become saturated. There's also room north of the existing terminal complex to build a virtual twin of the current terminal/airsides.

And when it comes to airports, it's almost always a good idea to have more room than needed at the current level of activity. TPA can serve the Bay Area for perhaps DECADES to come.

And they have a perfectly good reliever airport in place at PIE should things get crowded at TPA. I think most older airports would KILL to be in TPA's position.
"My soul is in the sky". -Pyramus- A Midsummer's Night Dream

727LOVER

Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:11 am

YOU ON DRUGS??????  Laugh out loud

What are you talking about??????????  Confused  Confused  Confused  Confused  Confused

There are 47 jetway gates. There are 200-250 flights a day. 3 runways.

How is that oversized??  Confused

WN has about 60 flights.
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

drerx7

Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:13 am

I don't see the traffic ever developing to that point for many many many decades to come.
HOUSTON, TEXAS

KLMA330

Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:14 am

Oversized? Maybe... Fabulous? Absolutely!!

quickmover

Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:17 am

I waited about an hour in a security line to catch a Frontier flight last summer. The place seemed very busy.

727LOVER

Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:19 am

airlines were responsible for the design and operation of each airside. The four were Delta, Northwest, Eastern and Delta.

GEE, I didn't know DL was THAT powerful to operate 2 airsides...he he  Laugh out loud...I think you meant National.
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

AZA330

Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:23 am

I think Tampa should have more intercontinental flights. I have been there some times and it looks to me a medium airport (not big, not small), well sized for what it is supposed to offer.

Ciao

sspontak

Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:24 am

The population in Florida is expected to increase by 39% in the next decade. Florida could be the third most populous state by then. I got these stats from a Florida land developer. South Florida is saturated. So the real growth could be in the mid sized cities like Tampa. I too am re-locating to the Tampa area. I see how they are building homes like crazy in the Suburbs of Tampa. Tampa is a my favorite airport and it sound like the are right on target for this growth. I'm glad TPA will be my new "home town" airport. They even have a new Ron Jon shop on the terminal side.

I was in TPA last night and I even saw a Euro Atlantic 767 departing about 8:00pm.

727LOVER

Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:33 am

I was in TPA last night and I even saw a Euro Atlantic 767 departing about 8:00pm.

Don't get your hopes up on that one. It was merely subbing for the normal BA 777.

I flew into Airside D last night and walked around for one last time. Once the new C opens, this airsdie will be torn down.

OzarkD9S

Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:45 am

OOPS! I did mean National for the fourth signatory airline/airside operator! Forgive me, it's been an exhausting weekend/Monday.

"My soul is in the sky". -Pyramus- A Midsummer's Night Dream

flyabunch

Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:20 am

In the TPA master plan, there are even plans and room to build a complete second landside/airside complex to the north of the present facility. That would double the number of gates available. Then it really would be crowded. The road system that is currently in place works well. If the airport doubled in size and traffic, the roads would definitely need to be redone.

I spoke with a former member of the airport executive committee on a recent flight and he said that at the present rate they may have to look at starting the second section in about ten to fifteen years.

Mike

ConcordeBoy

Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:45 am

I think Tampa should have more intercontinental flights

um, to where exactly.

TPA's incredibly fortunate to still have BA!
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

MontanaFL

Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:19 am

TPA was the first airport in the world to use trams to get from landside to airside. One of the trams is even in the Smithsonian in DC. When the "new" Airside C opens in April I believe, it is said that WN will increase the number of flt ops to 80+. DL never had 2 airsides - Only Airside C. TPA uses NO, repeat NO tax dollars for operations. Everything that airport has is from airline fees, concessions, etc. They are always upgrading the airport to make it better. I would love to see more international flights at TPA. For me, TPA is just the right size.

Quickmover - Five (5) airlines operate out of Airside A. I waited once for close to an hour and B****ed the entire time. My hope is that when WN moves to the new airside, the wait times at "A" will decrease. Airside A and F were designed and built prior to 9/11 so the additional security checks weren't factored in to the design (a guess). Airside E was built after 9/11 - designed also I am sure - but have adequate space for the amount of pax going through to cut down on wait times.

TPA is my home airport and i love traveling through it.
I miss those DL L-1011's

MAH4546

Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:35 am

South Florida is saturated. So the real growth could be in the mid sized cities like Tampa.

The percentage growth will be in areas like Tampa.

The bulk growth, for the forseeable future, will be in Miami/Lauderdale/Palm Beach. There is little room to grow, true, so developers are just going to build up, like Met3, the world's third largest residential tower which starts construction in July.

Tampa has an excellent airport that, as stated, is perfectly sized, and is ready to handle future growth in the region.

[Edited 2005-02-15 00:37:10]
a.

dl757md

Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:50 am

While it won't affect the terminals and will have negligible affect on the # of flighta at TPA, the big rumor at DL mx is that we will be closing our hangar there. I think we have about 300 AMTs there so there will be some impact on the local economy. I haven't heard that there will be any flight schedule changes to go along with it. Look for an announcment this summer.

757 Most beautiful airliner in the sky!

flyabunch

Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:11 am

TPA is my home airport also and as I usually fly CO, I get the joy of sharing Airside A with all of the Southwest traffic also. In the past six months they did max out the number of security lanes and it is better than it used to be. Still before or after a holiday weekend is no joy at the heaviest times.

I try to make sure that I have flights early enough to miss the rush. Most of the time I am successful.

Alas, I don't think that we will see a huge improvement when WN moves. They will just close a bunch of those security lanes and move the people over with WN.

Mike

UPS Pilot

Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:42 am

I live in Tampa. The population growth here and in the surrounding areas is phenominal. The area I live in has just exploded with growth. TPA in my opinion, is one of the nicest airports in the world. It is very easy to get around in. There are very few delays. It is one of the hidden secrets in Fl. Most flights go to MCO or MIA. US, Continental, Airtran, Delta/Song, Northwest, American, Spirit, United/Ted and Southwest all serve TPA.

I really like TPA

moman

Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:35 pm

TPA is a very well run airport; the HCAA has done an excellent job of making it world class.

Airside E was built after 9/11 - designed also I am sure - but have adequate space for the amount of pax going through to cut down on wait times.

This is not entirely accurate. E was being built when 9/11 happened; it was designed before 9/11, and modified during construction to support extra security lanes. E opened in July 2002; there was a public reception and anyone who wanted to could park and come eat at the resturants in the airside before DL & UA moved in.

I kind of miss the old C & soon to be D terminals. Sure, they were crammed but there was a "homey" feeling and the tile mosaics by the escalators. I'm not very fond of E because the Jose Cuervo bar there is horrible. Chilis Too in F is the best one in the airsides. They recently tore down the old airside B and aren't planning to replace it immediately.

Moman

AA Platinum Member - American Airlines Forever

727LOVER

Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:22 pm

This is not entirely accurate. E was being built when 9/11 happened; it was designed before 9/11, and modified during construction to support extra security lanes. E opened in July 2002

And even this is not quite accurate.... Laugh out loud The new E opened in October 2002.

So who will go in the new D?

Since all the TPA people are on here, let me pass the word that Dlx737200 is having another spotter meetup this Saturday. E-mail him or me for details.

qxq400

Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:24 am

I love TPA, wish I could find a job there. My faimly does not want to move there :{
Welcome baby Madison Renee

phatfarmlines

Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:30 pm

The airport is adequately balanced for the number of gates versus the number of total flights. All active airsides receive a good amount of flight traffic. Airside D looked sparse after UA & NW moved out but has since picked up by added B6, FL , YX, & NK flts (& DH too but they cut back flts. recently). Airside F has seen its busier days when US was truely the king of TPA.

Sure, they were crammed but there was a "homey" feeling and the tile mosaics by the escalators.

I remember those hilly tile patterns running down next to the "one-person-per-step" narrow escalators (A bad attempt to "modernize" the terminal IMO). I presume Airside D's interior hasn't changed much in the past 5 years?

Boeing7E7

Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:35 pm

Tampa MSA (2004) - 2,500,000 three runways and ample room to grow.

San Diego MSA (2004) - 2,900,000 - desperately in need of a larger airport, and would die to have the luxury that Tampa has.

Any questions?

N1120A

Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:02 pm

>I have been to Tpa about 8 times this year because i am moving there but anyway that airport is pretty big with not that much flights the largest carrier is SW with around 80 dep daily. <

Hate to keep harping on this, but a lot of A.netters make this mistake. It is not Air Namibia that has 60 flights a day at TPA, but Southwest who's code is WN.

Also, TPA is a bit oversized, considering that with 709 movements a day, it has 3 runways while VNY has 1389 with 2 runways, 1 around 4000 feet. Also, given TPA's passenger counts, 47 gates is a bit much. Still, better than too small
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

CrossChecked

Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:05 pm

<< I waited about an hour in a security line to catch a Frontier flight last summer. >>

Perhaps that's because, with the possible exception of ATL, the TSA workers at security check points in TPA are the worst that I have come across in the US. Picky bastards.
Cabin crew, doors to manual and cross check.

kkfla737

Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:51 am

At one time we referred to the four airsides as "Delta, Pan Am, Eastern and Northwest."

In the mid 80s, Eastern I believe was the largest operator from TPA, particularly during the winter months but NW and DL were competetive also. Prior to the 1984-1986 period Pan Am still operated a nice amount of flights from TPA with flights at various times to Paris, Frankfurt, Mexico City and San Juan. Also, Pan Am had the air bridge to Miami for sometime.

MontanaFL

Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:48 am

MoMan and 727Lover - Thank you for correcting me. Once I posted the message I realized I left out a word or two. I actually meant to say designed prior to 9/11 and built after. For some reason I thought the building of Airside E was begun after 9/11. My how time flys.

My dad worked at the old TIA and watched the current be built and retired from there with DL in 95. I kind of miss the old airsides too. I worked for the old ML in Airside E and then D. As so many whine about the upkeep of airports all over the US and world, the HCAA has done an outstanding job of keeping the airport looking new. So what if we have too many gates and runways, the time will come one day when all will be needed and the HCAA will begin construction of the north landside terminal and airsides.

I just wish people had access to the terminal from Hillsborough Avenue. One day maybe. I know in the master plan it shows that.
I miss those DL L-1011's

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos